Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Ms Beary

Maybe you'll have to demonstrate how easy it is to change the bulb?

I'm working my other, other, OTHER "job" today thru the rest of the week at the clothing boutique. I like the gig lifestyle.

May 12, 10 8:12 am  · 
 · 

morning all,

i guess we are all busy.

May 12, 10 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

morning!

May 12, 10 8:50 am  · 
 · 

never let the engineer 'nix' anything. you are the team lead and your client the decision-maker, right?! unless, of course, you agree that relamping is a pain...

May 12, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 

sorry, the tone of that reads wrong. or maybe i'm actually pissy and overly self-conscious this morning. i don't know.

May 12, 10 8:52 am  · 
 · 
****melt

That is the most retarded reason I have ever heard to nix a lighting fixture.

May 12, 10 8:54 am  · 
 · 

Not overly pissy at all, Steven, and yeah, melt. I'm a bit pissy about it anyway, as they refused to allow what would obviously be the best solution: uplighting with in-ground fixtures. No way, they said, because they always leak when they get relamped.

Here I go to the meeting I'll let you all know.

May 12, 10 8:58 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Liberty,

Bring along an extra pair of high-heels....and tell the engineer if only he were wearing high-heels the job wouldn't be so difficult.....that is changing the light bulb...

Archi...I thought you were going to say the cricket guy was wearing a victoria secret bra...

May 12, 10 9:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

here's a thing; b occupancy, under 49 occupants, fully sprinklered, and 1 required exit. i think that we should have two because, in a fire people are not always prone to do the calm and sane thing, and they may actually take a door that leads into another - empty - tenant space, and not out to an exit discharge. architect is fine, contractor is happy and me? i value safety over ease and expediency.

May 12, 10 10:11 am  · 
 · 

if there is a way out of that empty tenant space and ITS emergency lighting is working properly (as it would be required to be per code, occupied or not), what would be the problem with only having one exit, as required, for your space?

May 12, 10 11:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i guess my problem is that while 1015 and 1019 allow it but, it seems that as the minimum required, we should do more to be safe and one more exit does not seem overly extravagant. it's just comfort level

May 12, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 

Fifty people out one door seems like a bottleneck. I always like two exits better than one.

So we're doing the fixture I want, but mounting it slightly differently so the relamping will actually be possible....EE pointed out the way I had it drawn was impossible...oops. It really is always better to have several sets of eyes looking at something!

May 12, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

beta, did you check the travel distances? Might need a second exit just for that. (not sure what 1015 and 1019 are, if one is travel distance, oops)

May 12, 10 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Straw, yeah, 75', it's a small a relatively small office but, I hate the idea of giving someone a challenge, when it comes down to a cheap effing contractor. This guy won't consider laying batt insulation over the intersection of the walls/ceiling, even though he's putting it in the walls?? The space is essentially a small clinic, HPPA anyone?

May 12, 10 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Is it the contractor that doesn't want to lay the batt or is the client that doesn't want the batt? Last time I checked the client is the client so if you can convince them that batt insulation will help, than the contractor needs to do it. After all, isn't the contractor working for the client? Just saying. I have very little tolerance for contractors that try to cut corners in order to save money... in fact they make my blood boil.

May 13, 10 8:55 am  · 
 · 

depends on the situation, melt. if it's design build with a guaranteed price, the client only gets a say if they agree to growing the price.

same if the project was bid and the insulation wasn't explicitly shown or described.

the client can't just say 'you're going to do it' and expect it for free.

May 13, 10 9:12 am  · 
 · 

(hipaa regs are not the contractor's burden, unless explicitly noted - like you'd note that they have to meet all applicable building codes. hipaa is the architect's responsibility to solve and document what provisions are necessary. it's easy to fault the 'cheap' contractor, but you gotta think of it from their side: how should they know - and include in their price - what hipaa requires?)

May 13, 10 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Recalling a core and shell old brick warehouse renovation job, with a large basement tenant space, where there was one existing exit. I did no design, just the code check at the 11th hour where I decided a second exit was required, and in my opinion, desired. The architect, the great problem solver, determined the "other exit" would be "by tenant". I thought that was pretty silly.

May 13, 10 9:48 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

batt over the intersections?

don't you extend the partition to the underside of the deck if sound is an issue?

May 13, 10 10:10 am  · 
 · 

"Second exit by tenant". Good heavens, that's confusing.

May 13, 10 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Maybe he was just joking with me, that kidder. Maybe we were grandfathered in somehow, or I didn't know the full story. But we changed the occupancy! Never got to see it played out with a building official or anything. Still sitting on the shelf.

May 13, 10 10:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

steven, you're right, the owner in this situation, owns a strip office complex and the tenant is leasing space. so, he'll hire the subs and essentially be the gc but, i think the tenant just needs a space and is not aware of the stc of a wall, act and a partition that only extends 6" above the ceiling in some locations, and goes to underside of ceiling in existing locations.

toaster, that would be the ideal situation but cost is an issue, so the cheap thing to do, and given he's already spending the money on the sound batt, would be to try and mitigate some of the sound transmission.

hippa is not his responsibility, true, but i am considering the use and trying to act responsibly, in regards to this particular end user and my perception that they are not aware of what they will ultimately have for a space.

May 13, 10 10:24 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Gotcha SW. My brain already rationalized that the client had already accepted costs of the extra batt insulated, hence my annoyance for a contractor to balk at the extra unsulation. My bad.

May 13, 10 10:56 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

the owner is acting as the GC? that's your problem.

May 13, 10 10:59 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

eggsactly.

May 13, 10 11:08 am  · 
 · 

sometimes "build-to-suit" may not suit...

if the tenant, who think they are getting a suitable space for their needs, is made aware of the implications of this decision, their input may have some weight.

is your client the building owner or the tenant?
if the building owner is your client, i'm not sure you have the right to alert the tenant...
if the tenant is your client, it's your obligation to let them know.

May 13, 10 11:48 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

building owner is the client. i wanted to appeal to the constructability side, and make it less of a moral issue. moral issues seem to piss people off.

May 13, 10 11:52 am  · 
 · 
spaceghost

Slartibartfast,

I saw your kitchen photo on an earlier page (I think 378 or 379 at the bottom). Great job! I don't know if you mentioned it or not but are your kitchen cabinets from IKEA? I am just starting my kitchen remodel. We are considering the IKEA cabinet route. They seem like they are decent quality and have stood up to customer abuse at the store. Are you happy with the quality? I am considering using wood glue in all the dowel holes and liquid nails along all the seams as well as liquid nailing each cabinet to the one next to it. Did you do any similar things? Did you learn anything during the construction of your cabinets that you might have done differently if you were to start over?

May 13, 10 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

50 people out one door wearing these might be a problem....

Thinking we might find Liberty Changing light bulbs in these....the one on the left..

May 13, 10 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

May 13, 10 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

darn the nyt....will not let me borrow the pic.

May 14, 10 7:25 am  · 
 · 

any else as tired as I am? I am sooooo, ready for this weekend.

May 14, 10 8:29 am  · 
 · 

nam, what a bleak picture! 9I had to right click and open in new window to see it.)

Sorry we can't see your pic, snook, sounds interesting.

I have zero enthusiasm for today. I think I burned out last week.

May 14, 10 8:36 am  · 
 · 

not necessarily bleak. just about 90 comments too early, maybe.

May 14, 10 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

At a job fair waiting for the race to begin. Wish me luck! You'd bet your money on me, right?

May 14, 10 9:33 am  · 
 · 
****melt

SH - As the Germans would say Ich druecke dir die Daumen. Literal translation I'll squeeze my thumbs for you or as we would say I'll keep my fingers crossed. For whatver reason I prefer the former.

May 14, 10 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Is anyone else not able to see the image? I previewed and it worked ok.

Steven Isn't the image of 381 Route ending?

May 14, 10 11:00 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Not able to see it nam; sorry.

In other news... Revit has got to be the most maddening program to try to teach yourself. Back to the stupid tutorial. ARGH!!!!

May 14, 10 11:12 am  · 
 · 

yes, nam, which is why maybe it should've been at the bottom of page 381. ; )

May 14, 10 11:15 am  · 
 · 

steven gotcha,
and i still can't see it for some reason either melt

May 14, 10 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LOL SW!!! You are brilliant.

May 14, 10 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven
In other news... Revit has got to be the most maddening program to try to teach yourself. Back to the stupid tutorial. ARGH!!!!

I've been teaching myself how to use it for a while...

for me the frustration is that you need to give yourself more time in the beginning to set things up - and I'm pretty impatient. There are times when I need to produce presentation drawings very quickly, and I'm not going to waste half my day thinking about and properly setting up parametric families before I even produce a single drawing.

May 14, 10 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

good luck sarah!

May 14, 10 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

spaceghost - sorry I wasn't ignoring your post. A lot of things going on right now... all of which happened before my computer broke down.

And sorry all, I have no idea what other threads of conversations that are going on right now...

Anyway, yes, IKEA kitchen. Quality is def good for price range. If I had unlimited funds, I wouldn't do IKEA but given certain constraints it is more than enough. I was also "seduced" by the 20% sale they were having at the time that applied to all cabinets, countertop, and appliances. Glued at dowels and seams that are not visible, screwed between some cabinets.

Things I learned? Make sure you get check that you need all extra panels that they may give you (i.e. end panels for appliances, etc). Make sure you don't need more panels in other areas that they haven't thought about. I have less and less faith in customer service these days, although not necessarily from IKEA. The damper works well, but doesn't apply to all door types (i.e. glass doors, 45d corner, etc). The kitchen planning software can be buggy, and it may not allow you to do something that is actually possible (i.e. the cooktop I picked out doesn't work with the oven in the software)

May 16, 10 1:55 am  · 
 · 

went to costco today. is a cool enough place and kind of special in context of tokyo/japan. most interesting thing though was the place set aside in the parking lot where visitors could plug in their car to charge the electric power. some parking lots back in canada had electrical outlets to plug the block heaters in winter, but this was literally made for electric cars. first time ive ever seen such a thing. very cool.

the parking space was wee...like for 2 cars or so....and was empty too, but still....would be nice if that was the future...especially if going shopping meant charging the car with renewable energy sources. i look forward to the day!

May 16, 10 7:33 am  · 
 · 

I was at Costco yesterday. Crazytown, we call it, because the selection of items is crazy. We bought:

2 lbs. strawberries (theirs tend to taste best in our city, go figure)
printer ink cartridges
glitter pen set (birthday present)
huge bottle ibuprofen
Mexican coke in glass bottles (no HFCS)
Mongoose BMX bike

I mean honestly: what a bizarro list of things to get at one store! I kinda love Costco, because they famously treat their employees very, very well, and because of their role in Idiocracy: "Time machine, that's on Aisle 2,189 - about 3/4 of a mile from here".

I have to admit I'm surprised and a bit dismayed that Costco is in Japan, though. Strange.

We went to see Cracker on Friday night. Amazing show, but it left me feeling sad. Why is it the super-talented musicians I love are now middle aged and never really achieved major financial success, while the whole world laps up Taylor Swift?

May 16, 10 11:21 am  · 
 · 

ah now that is a something that really dismays me, Donna...i think it is in the end a contest about entertainment not quality of the tunes, in which case it makes more sense. my brother the professional street-performer made me realise the entertainment part of the entertainment industry usually trumps the technical/skill side. we humans are so gullible...:-)

costco sits next to an IKEA (a MASSIVE one) and a shopping mall. the mall is part of a chain of malls that try to be eco...sort of. their latest addition is certified by japanese version of LEED and is built on a train station, and to be honest costco and IKEA are always train accessible here too, but only a madperson would go shopping at either without a car...because you are so right the selection is insane. We like it because we can buy oatmeal in big boxes for 10 bux, instead of a wee 100gram package of it for the same in most of the shops round here. also ketchup. ;-)

although to be fair to them, yesterday they had seaweed on sale that is usually really expensive and a kind of delicacy from okinawa. so we had that for supper.

still not sure how to eat the 50 lb bag of tortilla chips.

May 16, 10 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

they have costco in japan??? who knew?

in philadelphia, there are actually 2 or 3 electric car charging parking spots in the city... the first one was installed as part of a development by onion flats... the others were installed by a few random people after the onion flats guys got the change to the city code approved... however, the problem is that the only fully electric vehicle that is 'street legal' according to penndot is a really goofy piece-of-crap three wheeled vehicle...

donna, i saw cracker play at a small in store appearance back in tampa a few years ago... good stuff...

May 16, 10 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

ah they have everything here phillip. american culture dominates the world. mcmansions are still not the rage but a slightly more subdued variation is here, and mos folk drive by car even though there is a train available (mostly school children use trains outside of tokyo). the power of the lifestyle the car allows is enormous. amazing isn't it? one of the best rail systems in the world and it is only an alternative at best...

i live out on the fringe of the city centre so can use car as long i don't head into the city (in which case it is a hell of a trip). costco x 2 + ikea x 2, plus wal-mart (with different name), etc etc. its all here within driving distance...

May 16, 10 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

Morning all,

Jump how do you use the seaweed from Okinawa?

Also, have i mentioned I hate Mondays?

Work is just getting to busy for me lately..

May 17, 10 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: