Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Distant Unicorn

Slart-- on matcha.

Place a few scoops of it in a one handed flour sifter.

Sift matcha slowly in a small wooden or ceramic bowl filled with water between 135-145 degrees while whisking with a wooden or plastic whisk.

You're suppose to use a chasen but whatevs. I found that 8 or 9 bamboo skewers work just as well. The thing I do that is really different is that I like to pour my matcha through a nylon mesh sieve to reduce the grittiness.

Really, the only trick is to use water around a 140 degrees. I know someone who pours hot water into a food processor filled with matcha powdered and that makes some pretty excellent tea.

Jan 21, 10 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well it's admirable that she's so devoted to her craft.

Jan 21, 10 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

ma-cha is supposed to be bitter.

i like mugi-cha better myself.

Jan 22, 10 12:12 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

threaten the children with nebraska

still alive...but my teeth feel like they need a good scrub

Jan 22, 10 8:26 am  · 
 · 
****melt

HAHAHA!!! I immediately thought of Children of the Corn when you mentioned Nebraska.

Here you go puddles

Best tooth scrubber I've ever had

Jan 22, 10 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Sarah, one of my cousins did get the roadside treatment for about 5 minutes since she wouldn't behave in the car. Of course this was back in the 80's so kicking your kid out of the car and pulling 50' up the road was not a big deal.

Good Morning All!

Jan 22, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

The bitterness I can handle. It was the fact that it was bitter AND had no fragrance. I know its supposed to be subtle, but I'm not getting anything. I think I'm doing it right too. I'm not going as far as measuring the temp of the water but I know that its not supposed to be boiling and I let it cool as I clean the chawan (just a regular bowl) and chasen (the real one) with the hot water.

I should just stick to my Genmaicha. Its hard to screw that up even with it being loose. Mugicha I've grown up with, but don't seem to drink much anymore. I think mugicha was my mom's way of justifying boiling tap water for drinking use and it covers up the tap water taste.

Well it looks like someone made a thread of that NYTimes article.

Jan 22, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

glad to hear people's classes went well...

I'm thinking of switching my sketchbooks/notebooks completely over to unruled composition notebooks partly because of michael bierut's impressive numerically ordered accumulation, but mostly because I'm really liking the size and I use them more like bierut does (as a notebook) instead of sketching. I've been experimenting with different sizes and formats over the years - moleskines or nice paper sketchbooks are too expensive for just note-taking and spiral-bounds start coming apart halfway through use. I liked the large blank books I used in college, but they were too big to carry around - plus I cannot find them anymore. I need something that is easy to carry and fits neatly in my bag and this seems to be working for me so far...

what do you guys use?

Jan 22, 10 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I'm using the large size soft cover piccadilly journals which are basically mead lined composition books but with narroer lines. I've never liked the cover of composition books for some reason. The speckled pattern bothers me. If they came in all black, I'd be on board. Piccadilly's are pretty cheap compared to moleskines though at 4.99 ea.

Jan 22, 10 11:48 am  · 
 · 

I have 1/2 teaching schedule for 2 weeks as my 3 and 4th students are off on study tour. I will be working outside nonetheless, but I'll have to get deep into the lesson plans to make the most of it. This is the year of many things, not much time to blink, think or twink.

I loved the ice-cream truck by the way. And I'm opening an architecture student store on campus if I can ever get my ass in gear and go register my business

Jan 22, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

techno, is an architecture student store a place to buy architecture students?

Jan 22, 10 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Ooooh... I totally like that idea LB. Do they custom orders as well? If so I'll order one.

Toaster - Personally I would LOVE to find a composition book of sorts that is lightly gridded. Lined paper drives me absolutely bonkers, but I also have a hard time with blank sheets. Not sure why...

Jan 22, 10 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I had been using lightly gridded books/pads, but I discovered that anything I'd write or draw would be in tension with or distorted by this grid, and sometimes I didn't want those already dictated proportions. it became too much of a crutch.

with blank paper my subconscious is forced to think about total page composition... which is probably better for my spatial-cognitive development in the long term... it was a little overwhelming in the beginning (too much freedom), but after a while my drawing became more frequent and much looser and my writing became organized more by content instead of the grid. there are many pages that are a compositional mess (mostly quick notes), but the chaos ebbs and flows. the grid reveals very little of these extremes.

what I'd like is a notebook with many different kinds of grids interspersed with blank pages...

Jan 22, 10 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd like to use archinect as my notebook. it would be nice if there was a feature that would compile all my posts in one place for printing. they could even offer to print & bind it in book form and send it to me for a fee, kind of like those photo albums that apple offers via iphoto. i'd happily pay for such a service.

Jan 22, 10 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You guys at nuts; I love it. I use a 3x5 gridded moleskin for designing whatever, a lined 3x5 for abe's medical history notes, and I gave abram a 5x7 horizontal watercolour paper moleskin az a skechbook. He's filled it up, so I'll get him a new one for his birthday.

Jan 22, 10 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Jan 22, 10 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(that wasn't directed at specifically at SH's post above; I just thought it was an amusing 360-themed image)

Jan 22, 10 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Very amusing page number indeed, LiG. Hope you're doing well.

puddles, I'd pay damn good money for a book of all my posts here. I'd give it to my ProPractice students to read. The question is: would I give it to them as a model, or as a warning?

Friday night: I'm drinking wine and CADing. CAD always goes better with wine.

Jan 22, 10 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I just came from the New York Times, and low and behold Joan has not left the Building!

It is rumored that her interior decorator designed this house, I know it is not so. Yada, Yada it is a bad joke! Enjoy your weekend.

Jan 22, 10 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm kinda glad they left her out of the photo of the front of the house.

Jan 22, 10 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

snook, wasn't Joan quoted in that article saying her house was a Frank Lloyd Wrong, long and low and ugly?

Jan 22, 10 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I mean for chrissake she can certainly afford STDL windows not those god-awful inserts.

Jan 22, 10 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Liberty those are sdl lites.....She did work out a deal with Marvin....

Jan 22, 10 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

There is a storm door infront of the windows during the winter months....I guess she has her interior decorator come by and hang them in the Fall and take them off in the Spring...not really....probably makes her Architect do it.

Jan 22, 10 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Are they SDLs? I'm not seeing shadow lines. That completely inappropriate and mysterious picture unit above the transomed swinging doors, the one that doesn't relate structurally to anything below it yet also fails to relate to the gable end it's in, with the totally dumb Home Depot sconce above it? That looks like one plane of glass.

Jan 22, 10 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook, you sure seem to know a lot about this. Are you her architect/storm window hanger?

And sure LIG, sure.

Jan 22, 10 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I don't stick my heard in here too often but going back to toaster's question (since I just restocked on my sketchbooks); I've recently switched over to Rhodia from Moleskins, I find the flip pad style much easier to write/sketch in (especially when standing or without a surface underneath), they have dozens of size and ruling options, and at around $3 each they're much more affordable.

Jan 22, 10 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

*head.

and that's probably why I don't come in here.

Jan 22, 10 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

architecture students for sale... brilliant. And a great segway from zthis

Liberty thanks for the suggestion of the wine, I just popped a bottle of Rosemount Pinot Nior 2008... it seems to be doing the trick. Although I suspect I'll be asleep by 10

Jan 22, 10 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Abram is sick but sleeping. Husband is out all weekend. I just watched the strangest and worste indie film ever. Headed for a Great weekend.

Recovering from the movie with episodes of Top Gear. Ahhhhh

Jan 22, 10 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

melt, i use this or variation from the muji store. they are a few dollars each. light dots form a grid on every page - if you squint cant really see them.

can't afford moleskin because i go through sketchbooks way too fast. someday maybe cuz they are quite nice.

today am finishing off 4 lectures, the last of the year. i am totally set for next term finally. it will only be crushingly busy from now on. hurray.

you know what, i see nothing wrong with that house or with windows with inserts. not my kind of building either way, which is maybe interesting per-sychologically speaking- our work experience creates our biases? since i don't do trad architecture i can't bring myself to worry about this house...or something like that. or maybe its just that i recognise this as a project not done by an architect and so it doesn't count. wither way, i know my mum would like to live there and who can argue with their mum about something like that?

hi archi. hope students are treating you well.

Jan 22, 10 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

jump - i can. and do! it wasn't until john pawson was working on martha stewart's house that my mom became interested in anything i was doing.

still trying to convince them to build the cabin they've been talking about for years...

Jan 22, 10 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

phuyaké I love moleskin but I don't like the price, since I dropped over $50 for 3 the last time I've been on the hunt for similar sketchbooks, but without the pedigree. I found piccadilly which is supposed to be sold out of Barnes & Noble/ Borders but wish you luck finding any in store. I do remember Rhodia though - the number one choice for Engineers and Land Surveyors... now all you need are a plaid shirt, a hard hat and some steel toe boots.

and just spent the last couple of hours chatting with an archinecteur... whooo hoo

Jan 22, 10 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Neil Young on Conan?! Yahoo!

Jan 23, 10 12:18 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That had to be one of the best sign-offs in television history. Conan was incredibly gracious and classy.

Jan 23, 10 1:06 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

LiG, I love his bit when he leases a Veyron for the show while playing an original pressing of the Rolling Stones costing NBC $1.5 million for a non-comedy comedy bit.

Jan 23, 10 1:45 am  · 
 · 

i hear you holz but decided a long time ago that trying to convince people who think what i do is a waste of money of anything to the contrary. It comes up sometimes with clients who are unsure of what we do - doesn't really work out well.

had similar experience with cabin. well, rather different actually. my mum thought of building cabin in mountains overlooking lake once. they bought land and we talked about it. they had not thought of hiring me cuz they can build a house with their own hands (builders abound in my family) and design as a profession does not really enter their minds. I offered to give advice on plans if they wanted. They asked why I thought they wanted to hear my opinion. A good question. So I showed them Peter Zumthor's work, thinking it was pretty conservative and beautiful too and showed how great architecture could be. They hated it and decided to not talk with me about architecture ever again. They were good-natured about it and not at all spiteful, and I learned to let it be. They were right. What I had to say would not make their lives better at all because we start in different place and have different ideas about comfort and beauty.

But am glad your mom came to understand your own job. That must be nice ;-)

Jan 23, 10 3:26 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jump, I'm sorry you're folks don't get what you do. I can guarantee that a hosue I designed for my parents would be far closer to what Joan River's house looks like that to a Zumthor project! But! Even if it looked like Joan's house I'd feel it my responsibility to absolutely convince them to spend the small amount of extra money on Simulated True Divide Lite windows rather than inserts.

I always tell clients to spend as much as they can afford on windows. Cheap windows *look* cheap, there's no getting around it. And the more expensive ones tend to perform better - smoother functioning, better thermal protection, hold up better over time.

I'm less concerned about "style". I don't like that word anyway (in relation to architecture), but it's an easy word for clients to get. If their house is a French Country "style", I don't have a problem doing an addition that is sympathetic to the means and methods of that style - but no matter how the thing looks, it needs to be well-made. That's the thing I spend time convincing clients to understand, and I think it's a big part of my professional responsibility.

Jan 23, 10 9:04 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

that reminds me of something that i read about i.m.pei once...he was thinking of doing a conference table in stone and the client said they prefered wood and he instantly shifted gears and ran with it by saying something like, "then lets make it the best wood table in the world!"

actually my memory is not so good...i probably butcher that story...but the point is that there are many ways to work with people and even satisfy yourself. i think that was also one of pei's tricks for getting the client to spend lots of money...once they've been hooked on the idea of "best in the world!" then it's much easier to get them to spend.

Jan 23, 10 10:04 am  · 
 · 

not a problem LB. i am not concerned by it at all. there are so many things my mother has done in her life that i cannot comprehend. the opportunities she turned down in life, the hardships she endured - and she cannot explain me why and has no regrets. she is happy and i don't care to judge. so i figure that goes both ways.

well anyway, joan's house doesn't bother me. neither does wal-mart, cars or all the rest. global warming and pollution and bad religion do upset me, but i dont think the first set necessarily goes with the second.

woohee, 3 lectures down and one to go. time for bed.

out of curiosity LB, do the real divided panes work better or worse thermally than the fake version? and does double pane not look funny compared to the real old-time windows?

Jan 23, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

i'm a little peeved got to school in time to meet with the students at 10 as we planned. Waited around for 2 hours (not entirely wasted dropped a lesson plan whilst I was at it, and sent out queries on two others). Then one group showed up gave them two solid hours of work, dying of thirst and hunger and just as they are heading out the other group shows up. And being the nice guy that I am... you know the rest.

It is a cool project though a redesign of one of the school's quadrangles. Eroded boundaries | a spattering of manholes | concrete benches | irregularly, uneven walkways and some dated concrete buildings. They produced initial studies during the week and are doing doing master plans with the intentions of inserting two study pavilions.

Jan 23, 10 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

hang in there archi!

i was just reading edifice complex over breakfast this morning and in the intro sudjic writes that "there is a deep-rooted belief that the architect has succeeded in his task only if he has managed to finesse the clients into building not just something they don't understand, but something they don't want". when i read that i thought about Joan rivers house and wondered if he was talking about us.

Jan 23, 10 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
so I need some help

for a lecture on tuesday. So further to the design of the quad/courtyard the students will be putting a pavilion on site. The design however will be based off a detail that they develop, and I'm preparing a slide show of some random details to show... the lecture will be mostly pictures with me dubbed in the background. What detail inspired you as a student, in practice, post-practice... I'm curious to hear what tc thinks. And in case you are wondering I have loads of Murcutt, Rogers and Piano details... but those are also well obvious.

Jan 23, 10 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

hmm, archi, the very first thing that comes to mind is the Soss hinge. The first time I ever saw one used was in a door at the Farnsworth house and I fell immediately in love. It's not a detail per se but so wonderfully perfect nonetheless... might be worth including?

Will think on it some more.

Jan 23, 10 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

also, the funny thing is that for a few days I thought it was something that Mies had made up, until it just happened that I came across a whole line of them in the McMaster Carr (or something like that) like the very next week. What a revelation, that something that perfect could be mass-produced and found in a standard hardware catalogue. It really blew my mind.

I feel like there's a Zumthor detail on the tip of my brain. And I feel sure some stair handrail details are floating around in there. I'll have to look through my image archive.

That, or just email holz. ;-)

Jan 23, 10 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Off the top of my head:

- the tapered handrails at TWBTA's Folk Art Museum
- the concrete and travertine at Salk
- stairs that are slabs of wood cantilevered straight out of an adobe wall (my professor had this at his house)
- any curving brick wall, starting from the first time I saw Jefferson's wavy walls at U of Virginia
- rain chains
- sun shades made of tensile fabric, like Bruder later used on the Phoenix Art Museum
- ocotillo fences, called coyote fences in the SW

Jan 23, 10 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I loved the scarpa museum in Venice. That little one that has channelscut forthe canal waters when it rains. Damn.

Jan 23, 10 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Is anyone else suddenly getting random "Someone responded to your post" notices from as far back as 2004?!? I am! It's actually kind of fun to read them.

Jan 24, 10 10:29 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

Hey TC! Posted a new thread last night. Thought I would drop in and say hey to the people whose names I actually recognize! Hope you guys have a happy Sunday.

Jan 24, 10 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

an rfuller sighting?! whoa, it's starting to look old skool.

Jan 24, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: