Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

some ball state students are going to have a new crush on thursday!

Jan 13, 10 12:02 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

You guys are cute.

I don't have anything really interesting to say tonight, except that I was like a woman possessed at the gym and I ran a mile straight for the first time in like, 4 or 5 years I think. Keep in mind that I am built the exact OPPOSITE of a natural runner. I ended up walking/running nearly 3.5 miles and still felt good when I was done. Strange but awesome.

Sweet dreams everyone, and send positive energy to Haiti, if you can't send donations... goodness knows they need all the help they can get right now.

Jan 13, 10 2:44 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

just a suggestion, but be careful about "overdoing it" with running. i've known several people who were non-runners (i run quite a bit myself) that went out, did a lot more than they thought they could do, felt great...and then two weeks later were sitting in a doctor's office getting an explanation of what bursitis was and were being told why they would need surgery to relieve their pain. running puts a lot of stress on joints, bones, muscles, tendons, etc so it's really wise to ease into it slowly. as archinect member saltyorange taught me, "run smart, run strong, then run fast" (emphasis mine).

excerpt of dialogue from "the towering inferno" from imdb:
Architect Doug Roberts (Paul Newman): I thought we were building something where people could work and live and be SAFE! If you had to cut costs, why didn't you cut floors instead of corners?
Developer James Duncan (William Holden): Now listen. Any decisions that were made for the use of alternate building materials were made because I as a builder have a right to make those decisions. If I remained within the building code and god-dammit I did!
Doug Roberts: [Chuckling] Building code? Jesus. Building code. Come on, Dunc, I mean now that's a standard cop-out for when you're in trouble. See, I was crawling around up there. I mean duct holes weren't fire-stopped! Corridors without fire doors in them, sprinklers that won't work, and electrical system that's good for what? I mean it's good for starting fires! Phew, where was I when all this was going on? Because I'm just as guilty as you and that god-damned son-in-law of yours! What do they call it when you kill people?

every architect should watch it. full of ridiculous dialogue between architect, developer, engineer, fire chief, etc. the architect gets a pretty good portrayal especially compared to that evil, dandy of an electrical engineer. the movie is also considered to be one of the first of the now ubiquitous, big budget summer blockbuster and included a star studded cast ranging from steve mcqueen to oj simpson.

liberty belle, check with our mutual friend willy about pro practice. he was in the same (excellent) class and could probably fill you in on any relevant details.

Jan 13, 10 8:03 am  · 
 · 

this is my 8000th post, and like many of the others it is fairly random.

Mantaray I'll send you an email with the little details I have at the moment.

It's a chilly 71 degrees here, because it's also 70% humidity.

Jan 13, 10 8:11 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Pro practice:

Advice: Make Friends with A Banker, A Lawyer and an Accountant. These three people should keep you afloat long as your practicing
Architecture as you were taught.

Jan 13, 10 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Turns out that LB & I crossed paths back in 2003, thanks to Harris Steinberg's Pro-Practice class when we toured Atkin Olshin Lawson-Bell.

it is very, very likely that I was the person who spoke to the class and showed you around the office - I did that for several years for that course. And I ALWAYS showed the damn pop-up Christmas cards!
Jan 13, 10 9:09 am  · 
 · 

ps - every time I hear 'Muncie' I think of the Hudsucker Proxy.

Jan 13, 10 9:18 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think we watched a snippet from hudsucker proxy in my pro practice class. can't remember which scene...might have been the one were the young man presents his drawings of the hoop ("you know, for kids") but it might also have been the scene where he tries to commit suicide by jumping off the building.

Jan 13, 10 9:37 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

For those of you writing recommendations, or familiar with the admissions process, a question :

Say you've spent a good chunk of time developing an appropriate letter of recommendation for a student. You've kept it positive, but mentioned (in passing) maybe one or two small weaknesses, and let the absence of a positive comment in certain areas help give a balanced portrait of the student. You've mainly talked about how the student did in your class generally and any particular anecdotes that can flesh out the generic comments. Then you talked about the student's personality / attitude and closed up.

Ok say you've done that, and you're happy with it.
NOW you come across a recommendation FORM from one of the schools. This form is pretty specific about what they want you, the recommender, to write about, and it's much more specific than what you've already written about.

They want to know what the student's interests are, background, research ability, etc. You don't really know much about these things as they didn't come up in your class.

What do you do???

Jan 13, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

manta, i'd interview the student a bit or pass.

Jan 13, 10 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

I would talk about it with the student: explain that you felt comfortable writing letters of recommendation, but that the form asks for things you simply don't know. Direct them to the form, and recommend that they ask someone who actually knows those things about them handle the rec for that particular school.

Jan 13, 10 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Manta, I'd send what you've got. It could be that theyrequire ewccomendations from friends or family as well. I had the opposite problem when applying for the teaching program - a friend was asked how I was as an employee ect. The program accepted her referral with N/As in the blanks.

Jan 13, 10 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What does everyone here think of the third and the seventh? I'm totally not getting it, and it's frustrating me to feel so wishywashy about something setting everyone else to raving.

Jan 13, 10 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Manta,
Just cause a school has a limited repertoire for recommendations, don't be dissuaded from submitting your letter to them. Also, don't worry about the webform.

hi TC! now back to the grind of getting ready for my two classes.

Jan 13, 10 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

LB I'm impressed that it's entirely cg animation but the premise is somewhat shallow for my tastes. It's also quite good that it's used some iconic architectures for the film as well.

Jan 13, 10 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

i agree LB. it is impressive as a technical feat but as artwork i don't feel much except boredom. guess i am bad too.

school year doesn't end here for another month.

this weekend i am taking one class to omotesando to see toyo ito and herzog and demeuron (and ando, zaha, sejima, mvrdv, and all the rest) and my other class to visit a housing development called shinonome canal court. It has buildings by kengo kuma, riken yamamoto and toyo ito and is based on SOHO program with heavy mixed use and all the good planning stuff. We are going to decide if it is a good model for tokyo's urban future or if roppongi hills would be better.

will be a nice break. next week back to lectures. ugh. still not finished with slide shows. and grading 60 papers still to look forward to and then the term ends. very much looking forward to that.

Jan 13, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Morning all,
Hi Barry. Almost done I hope?

Jump, forgive my ignorance but what does SOHO refer to?

Jan 14, 10 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Morning.

I'm going to simply ask an honest question. Does anybody actually read my blog? Am I doing ok? Does it suck? I've kept at it steady, but with no feedback it seems a bit pointless. Is it?

Baking a cake today!

Jan 14, 10 10:35 am  · 
 · 

Sarah I have checked in a few times.

I often ask the same thing re: my own blog. However I have to remind myself that there are just so many blogs out there it is hard to read each one everyday. And as for commenting even some very successful blogs hardly draw much commenting..

Also it would be a bit easier (at least for me to remember to visit) if you posted a link in your Archinect profile. That is how i access Archis, WonderKs and Barrys.

Jan 14, 10 10:49 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

LB - as someone who used to do freelance 3D work - I'm with you... it's impressive technically (all done by one person), there were some nice moments, but overall it was a bit ... meh.

I was far more interested in the compositing breakdown and the making of the exeter library on the vimeo site. especially the fact that this guy used pre-made sketchup models as bases (although it looks like he rebuilt them in max).

Jan 14, 10 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nam, I hadn't thought of that. I never go into my 'nect profile. Thanks.

Jan 14, 10 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

sarah, I've checked it twice.

my blog has kind of died! I got my first spam comment though.

Jan 14, 10 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Orochi, make sure you get a Wordpress app to monitor your spam. You'll be overwhelmed with it soon if you don't. I can't remember the name of it offhand, email me if you want to know and I'll look it up later.

So, one of my good friends here got laid off today. She's the one who put me up while I was looking for jobs when I first arrived in Portland. She's also been working at the same office for, oh, 7.5 years? She got a job there right after we graduated together and she's been there ever since. What makes me sick is knowing that it probably didn't have to happen, if only the firm had been better managed.

2010, woo hoo. :(

Jan 14, 10 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

that's a pity emily.

i use akismet to filter spam. it doesn't stop enough of it though. anyone know better add on? we have been too busy to blog much, but will start soon with new house as construction starts and time frees up after i finish teaching.

toasteroven, i used to do 3d work on the side too, which is probably why i was totally fascinated by the process of modeling. i didn't quite get it if he competely rebuilt the model or not cuz i skipped ahead here and there, but it sure looked like it to me too. interesting method.

nam, SOHO is home office self office. i think.

the place in question is here. check out the slideshow at the bottom for images of the soho idea as translated by riken yamamoto. kind of cool...maybe. most of the students didn't like it in class but will see if they enjoy it better in reality. they did however like jon jerde's work at roppongi hills, which speaks to me quite a lot.

one student actually decided to write a paper on the disconnect between architects and the real world after seeing the lecture about housing i gave last week. no dummies in my class. they immediately understood architects have ideas but lack common sense ;-)

Jan 14, 10 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

woops that was supposed to read SMALL office home office. completely different kettle of fish entirely.

Jan 14, 10 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

jump, thanks. what is funny is that is kind of how i read it.

let me know when you start posting about the new project.
nite all

Jan 14, 10 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

also that is a nice project. i actually like the towers and office combo.

Jan 14, 10 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

classes start Monday. I just spent until 9pm inputing first year grades. Tomorrow I need finish writing up the comments for the 2 year studio and complete the final marking for 3rd year so I can put those grades in for validation. Wow... this part of teaching sucks.

Jan 14, 10 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jump, those simple white stacked spaces are my ideal dream apartment/home. Someday, when my child moves out and I can convince my husband we don't need a yard.

Jan 14, 10 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i can't donate money, but i can donate labor, so how can i get to haiti?

Jan 14, 10 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

classes start Tuesday. today was basking in the glow of senator klobuchar, then meeting with my TAs (one of them is off in Zanzibar and incommunicado which is driving the HR folks nuts as they need her I-9). yesterday was meeting with my studio's co-instructor. oh, got a green build abstract in the works thanks to Karl (not sure his archinect name) that is due tomorrow. Then I have to revise my grant application before 2/2, all the while teaching. Got a huge back log of stuff to tackle once the semester gets going, and a pile of things that need doing before we start. At least my priorities are clear.

Jan 14, 10 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

wow, y'all teachers sound like you're having fun! I liked teaching, but yeah the paperwork bits sucked. But they were still better than the end of the quarter when all the grade questions came up...

My office is competing for a project with a very big client, and the firm we're up against is well known for their shiny products and presentations. So today I got tasked with making our presentation compete with theirs (which we've not been capable of in the past as I'm the first real graphic designer on staff). No matter that this is my first real project with this office, or that the office we're competing with probably has several people doing the job that I'll be doing alone. Eek!

Jan 15, 10 12:18 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist, you can do it! Kick butt!

I had wine tonight. After the week it's been, I think we all deserve wine. Conan O'Brien deserves a winery.

Jan 15, 10 1:59 am  · 
 · 

i find it hard to care about tv personalities and their contract tribulations, i really do. not that i wish them any bad vibes or anything but am at a loss for why i need to hear about them on the news. seems surreal.

LB, i miss a garden myself. a place for a dog too. those were two things that had me thinking of moving back to canada last year. in tokyo you have to be seriously wealthy to have either. the buildings are nice though. to be honest personally i think my flat is even better designed. the building looks like hell but i have 15 meters of southern exposure and a balcony just as long - two things no one does in tokyo anymore. not even if you are kengo kuma or toyo ito. guess it is hard to make pay.

cold out here today. -1 C for a low. a fun ride on the bicycle in morning to take daughter to school. almost like canada.

Jan 15, 10 2:29 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

jump, it's the injustice of the situation. Perhaps it's lost on you because you live in Japan but Conan is a real cultural touchstone for people in this country in my generation. He's been on TV since I was a freshman in high school, I grew up with him and I still get the jokes that he's been making since 17 years ago. We don't like to see our cultural heroes get jerked around, especially when we regard them with more respect than most of our political, social, and spiritual leaders. Which we do, by the way.

Jan 15, 10 2:57 am  · 
 · 

i just cant see why the struggle over jay and conan's future gets the same attention as the death tole in haiti on the prime time news. the news yesterday was strange as hell. the announcer introduced the topic with the same buildup as an earthquake that killed all those people and is still killing...i dunno, it just seemed weird to me. not to take away from the unfairness of it all but its just business - more, its just tv business - which means no one is going to come out of this hurting overly much.

perhaps i should watch more tv ;-)

Jan 15, 10 4:37 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

jump, there must be some kind of delay in japan? the attention is pretty much been all focused on Haiti. the late night wars have moved on a little bit. having said that, there still needs to be some levity in the world, given the scope of this disaster.

Jan 15, 10 5:17 am  · 
 · 

that could be beta. we get news late and sparsely in english here so i watch podcasts, which are def not fresh from the farm.

not that it matters. i hope those guys get their millions sorted and tv returns to its proper state once again.

Jan 15, 10 5:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i don't know how many of you get the AIArchitect newsletter but;

"Dear Colleagues:

Welcome to the first issue of the revamped AIArchitect. Yes, the look is different: It’s streamlined, easy to read with a clean, more open design. But that’s only the most obvious change.

In response to what members say they want from their key AIA information resource, the new biweekly AIArchitect allows you, the reader, to go directly to the most up-to-date information on a host of timely issues—jobs, cutting-edge knowledge resources, news about our industry, conferences, legislative and codes initiatives, what’s going on at state and local components, the Knowledge Communities, and much more. Forget scrolling through multiple pages to see if something interests you. The quick-read links are right in one location. You decide what you want to open. And by opening the link “Current Issue,” you’ll go directly to our Web site aia.org where you’ll find a wealth of information and useful resources.

This first issue is also the initial step of a redesign process that will result in a single platform for member communication—not just from the Institute, but among all AIA members. The long-term goal is a vibrant, interactive, knowledge-sharing professional community.

Each of us has a role in building that community. Do you have a best practice, professional insight or community initiative or you’d like to share? Send your suggestions, ideas, and links for consideration for future editions by emailing [email protected]

Explore this issue, try out the links, and send your suggestions and examples of how design matters in building more livable, sustainable, and beautiful communities. When it comes down to saying what’s the most important feature of the new AIArchitect, it’s this: it belongs to all of us.

George H. Miller, FAIA

2010 President"

with all due offense, but what is this 1994? who did they talk to about this revamp? given the news item Orhan posted, it seems that that national is doing more cost cutting and having ancient directors assembling the newsletter. what's more ironic is the fact just below the link for Miller's comment on the format change, is the heading Design Matters...

Jan 15, 10 8:43 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i don't know him, but recognize the name, and figured the astute members of archinect would have heard of him. Jay Reatard

Jan 15, 10 9:01 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

First sip of espresso - zing!

Jan 15, 10 9:23 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also, Emily, I'm fearful that your friend who was laid off is the woman I met in December. Not that I wouldn't feel bad for any of your friends who were facing a trying situation, but since I met her I feel worse.

Teaching is going to be fun but! a new lecture every week?! For fourteen weeks in a row?!? Barry, I feel your pain.

Jan 15, 10 9:27 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

haiti is old news, that place has been a disaster since the slaves took over in 1802...iceland is far more relevant to the first world these days.

Jan 15, 10 9:32 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

puddles, I for one really appreciate the financial information you post here. Note: I said "appreciate", not "enjoy".

Jan 15, 10 9:47 am  · 
 · 

try 4 lectures a week LB. sleep for the last 4 months has felt like such a luxury. i think you will be brilliant though. how could you be otherwise?

don't know why but i agreed to contribute an article to an encyclopedia for sustainability - ah yes it is because it is peer reviewed - and the peers have asked for changes and where are my notes and why is the deadline in 3 days? bids came in for house too and we need to look those over this weekend.

so its 2 days of showing students around the city while also polishing off 4 lectures for next week, figure out which contractor to go with, oh and there is that new kuma museum i am supposed to go to...and i really want to spend time with family so take tomorrow night off.

who makes my schedule? i would like to have a word with him. he's drunk you say? ah, that explains everything.

not sure what the point is, but i am looking forward to updates from professor L. Belle.

Jan 15, 10 10:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
who makes my schedule? i would like to have a word with him. he's drunk you say? ah, that explains everything.

This is the funniest thing I've read today, including all the late night TV hosts barbs at one another.

Cheers, jump! You can pull it all off with aplomb and brilliance, I am certain!

Jan 15, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

from that puddles link, and i quote;

"...Plus, of course, Iceland is not some small African nation full of poor black people, it’s a small European nation full of the kind of people that wealthy US and EU citizens can identify with: white and relatively affluent. They could be your neighbors. They could be your family. They could be you."

WTF?? WTF?? WTF??

So, they're white, and we should save our own, and fuck the black people? Well guess what douche-rocket, we've been fucking Africa and Haiti since the dawn of "modern" europe, and "modern" america.

fuck Iceland, because they haven't been fucked hard or long enough.

you want some perspective or some food for thought? how about we all stop buying diamonds? how about giving up your shares of gold or platinum? how about keeping our colonial ambitions and apartheid conceits out of Africa?

Jan 15, 10 10:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

jump, i don't know if i've said it yet, but i love the firm's work. very nice, sculpted and unpretentious. could you perhaps talk a little bit about the firm's process? i've been on a real process kick again, as i don't have a lot of face time with any peers in the profession or partners for that matter....solo is no way to go.

Jan 15, 10 10:32 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

beta, isn't that quote just an example of how a potentially scheming, manipulative Iceland *could* evoke sympathy for their debt? He's not saying this is a good attitude. He's saying politics is nasty as evidenced by the fact that everyone spins others' misfortunes to their own benefit - not unlike Jon Stewart accused Pat Robertson, Rush, and even Maddow of doing last night.

What I like about the article is how the author says in Iceland, because it is such a small, essentially isolated country, the unfairness of bank failures being placed on taxpayer's backs is very, very clear, unlike here in the US, where we find it so confusing we stop paying attention.

Jan 15, 10 10:52 am  · 
 · 

beta yeah i saw that.
Not a huge fan of Jay's particular style of garage rock revivalism but still sad.

Also, re: crazy work schedules. Good luck Jump and LB. Also very excited about your new gig LB.

Jan 15, 10 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: