Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

holz.box

yeah, it's a disgruntled worker or ex employee.

if that's the CEO of HKS, i'm peter zumthor.

Dec 7, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Seriously, this is one of my favorite aspects of the holiday season: photos of children screaming from Santa's lap

Dec 7, 09 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, forget to mention: smite her with your abs, beta. I know you can do it.

Dec 7, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

Vado if Wikipedia has it as de-Constructivism is would be quite incorrect, especially since Deconstructivism is much closer to being a kind of post-Constructivism.

Great morning of work, had a staff meeting then a design meeting where I was a complete tosser rearranging a design someone else had spent close to 6 weeks resolving. The best part of the day so far was chatting with one of my favourite archinecteurs who was obviously taking a break from the labours of painting and sanding.

Anyhow I will be having my first Christmas dinner with just the missus - me and the missus alone - me cooking because she will be armed with the beeper and could potentially run off to the hospital. Advice WWTCD what should I cook? I was thinking ham, stuffed chicken, mashed potatoes.... but then my brain flat lined - those culinary creative ones (yes Sarah I'm talking to you) your advice please. And not to worry neither the missus nor I are afraid of a little or alot of spice

Dec 7, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i dont know techno i'm a past modernist.

Dec 7, 09 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

today was the first day of the nursery school with Dr. TK starting work again. so I hung out with the dozen rugrats to ease the shrub's transition. Went well for the first hour till the teacher tried changing his diaper. then at lunch when he didn't want any of their food. called that enough for today, and brought him home. Tomorrow, we try again. hope he eats and takes his nap there. Wednesday is the big test, since I have meetings/teaching in the afternoon and have to leave him there till the Dr. TK finished work.

Now I'm trying to write a letter of intent (not that I'm interested in moving just yet, but the practice is good). Though maybe I should be focusing on my teaching plans for next semester.

Beta, are you carrying? (or at least have a sign saying you are?) Let us know if you get the book signed!

Techno, think like a fireman and cook something that won't suffer if it needs to be reheated/sit on the stove for a while due to her being paged. Avoid crispy things that will go soggy, nothing that will dry out if reheated or can overcook easily, nothing that wilts, and nothing that will give her bad BO (ie garlic or brussel sprouts). Does this mean that she's done with med school and back on the island or are you heading to the rust belt for the 'daze?

Dec 7, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i really intended on going to the klan meet, er, book burnin, book signing, i really wanted to show her my, but for the life of me, i could not see the burning crosses. chalk it up to not being able to read cryptic messages posted on the local blogs....sorry guys.

Dec 7, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm going to try dOing a chipotle rubbed ham maybe a bit of cinamin too, jalepeno cheese grits, and other stuff I haven't figured out yet. You could try a pot roast since it can stay in the oven all day

I had more but i forgot it when I was forced to play hide and seek. Does itmake me a bad mom to play hide and seek when I want to archinect?

Dec 7, 09 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

speaking of stadiums, did i mention that the pontiac silverdome recently sold for about $583k? that 127 acres of land plus a structure that cost $55 million to build just 24 years ago...of course what nobody mentions is that it was an architect, C. Don Davidson, who conceived the whole idea of a stadium out in the pontiac suburb so myabe that's why it ends up as a financial failure.

personally i loved the place. it was incredible loud for football games back in the day when barry sanders was tearing up the turf. altough it's nice to have the lions back downtown, there really wasn't much reason in my opinion to abandon the silverdome.

Dec 7, 09 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, i would say no.

TK, shrub is off to the nursery huh.. How time flies.

Think I am heading off to bed early all. Had some fillings done today and am tired.

Dec 7, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

thanks Sarah, tk. I'm heading to Cleveland this time around - we have another 18 months of this before we can settle with Xmas sunshine versus snow storms

Dec 7, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Atechno, hmmm, I don't know of any food that cleveland is famous for - the closest is cincy's chili or buffalo's wings. Ohio has/had such a boring food culture when I was there, so bring some island sunshine/spice with you. (Worst case is buy some red stripe at a local liquor store).

Dec 7, 09 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My jeans are feeling a bit tight. I don't know if it's the eggnog and rum I've been enjoying lately or those damnable, evil, diabolically delicious Candy Cane JoJos.

Dec 7, 09 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

you're telepathically making up for me, lb. i haven't had much time for eating lately. (we're participating in an invited competition - 8 invited firms - and things are desperate! presentation tomorrow.)

Dec 8, 09 7:16 am  · 
 · 

i had to buy a new belt yesterday. getting too slim. not good thing.

that is big step TK. gets easy for everyone surprisingly fast. you're making me feel all nostalgic.

Dec 8, 09 8:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i need to drop 25, am really pissed that it got this far in 1.5 years.

Dec 8, 09 8:14 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Jump - I feel your pain. All of my pants are baggy. The funny thing is I have only lost about 5lbs, but since I've started working out regularly my body has changed. I find it rather annoying as the goal was to fit back into the clothes, not to have to buy a new wardrobe. :o/

Dec 8, 09 9:09 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my heart is made of cheese.

Dec 8, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

vado, if it's made of this Aged Cheddar you'd be the man!

Dec 8, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

tight jeans are sexy!

Dec 8, 09 10:19 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I like bagpipes - but I think they are very inappropriate for the train station - especially a tuesday morning at 7:30 am.

Dec 8, 09 10:47 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Is the piper playing Oh Holy Night? Jingle Bells?

Dec 8, 09 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

no - some traditional stuff - christmas music would have been better - the guy was in the full get-up too. typically if you see a piper they're associated with something, but this guy had a performance permit and a box for change... very weird...

that was up at the top of the station entrance - when I got down to the subway platform, there was a banjo-player doing "the beverly hillbillies" theme song...

Dec 8, 09 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

sarah, I finally had time to make your apple dumplings recipe last night and it was a hit! So, thank you! Nice twist on the classic apple pie. The only problem was that I don't have a cast iron skillet yet (if I hadn't been broke I would have used this as an occasion to buy one) so had to use ordinary pie plate. I don't think it really affected the recipe but I did have to wash two things...

Oh, and I don't think I made quite enough dough. I think next time I do it I would up the dough recipe. Very good though!! I like the dough balls -- a first for me.

Dec 8, 09 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

lb -- my little craving is these stupid almond windmill cookies from trader joe's. They will be the death of my wardrobe. Anyone else had them? Mmm...

Dec 8, 09 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

cast iron is the only way to go, manta!

i'm losing weight but just from overwork, not exercise. i don't like it because i really really like exercise type stuff of all varieties and don't have time for it. guess is better than getting fat, but just as worrying.

ah well, christmas is coming. will probably get fatted up from that and all will be well.

except for my heart which is like vado's also made of cheese.

Dec 8, 09 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Was rear ended on my way home from work... I'm fine, just a little sore. Am going to make an appt with the chiropractor tomorrow just to be sure and although there is no physical damage to my car, I'm still having her checked out just to make sure her frame didn't get damaged. Ahhh, such is life.

Dec 8, 09 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

melt, see a doctor, and get a referral.

manta, those spicy almond cookies are fabulous, my oma used to get them every time she went to holland or the dutch store....mmmmmm

Dec 8, 09 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

I've dropped some weight - and it's about time. I didn't want to be mistaken for the chocolate Santa again. The chocolate easter bunny - yes but not the chocolate Santa.

Relaxing tonight tomorrow I need to churn out two job proposals like it's nobody's business ach... I should shack up inside of a coffee shop or something, but that would likely burn a hole through my pocket since I love that dark goodness so, hmmm

Dec 8, 09 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

tk: tight jeans are sexy!

even if you're a 40 y.o., 250+ lb hipster trying to muffintop yourself into some skinny jeans? heavens, no...

man, there are some scary sights here in seattle...

Dec 8, 09 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i thought some of you foodie/graphics lovers would get a kick out of this grist article on (poorly designed) revised nutrition labels...

Dec 8, 09 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

*m i'm so sorry about your accident. Take some painkillers when you go to sleep and be sure to see the doctor

Dec 9, 09 12:14 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
rebranding playboy

...needs to be done (seriously who's looked at that mag in like 20 years) but a fox eating the bunny? and no photos?

just heard a weird creole medley of christmas music on the drive into the office today. sounded vaguely familiar but i couldn't figure it out until the (almost) english chorus of "jeengle bails, jeengle bails"

Dec 9, 09 7:58 am  · 
 · 

Slept very restlessly last night.

Also, i love those cookies... Not sure the first time I had them...Or the context.

Morning all,

Dec 9, 09 8:23 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Dec 9, 09 8:54 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i love those windmill cookies with almonds in them. i have no willpower no matter the size of the cookie box, bag, it will usually be doomed in one sitting. its snowing.

Dec 9, 09 10:37 am  · 
 · 

man we haven't been very good with the image posting for each page lately...

Dec 9, 09 10:39 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

say it ain't so - lb with a muffin top?

Dec 9, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 

I think I need to get my head checked. I have a new project, the ink is barely dry and instead of using the programme I know - let's call it crap-CAD; I've decided to use the programme I barely know - let's call it "Wow that's awesome"-CAD. That learning curve is looking awfully steap

Dec 9, 09 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

yes vado that is my problem with them too. Impossible to resist. There are only a few things in life in which I have zero, zero control, and a disproportionate number of them are cookies :

windmill almond cookies
pecan sandies
double or quadruple-stuffed oreos
the small version of reese's peanut butter cups
ice cream... essentially any flavor except vanilla
and
a book I am really into.

mmm... now I am craving these things!

Dec 9, 09 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

manta, you should try those new fudge covered rits.

Dec 9, 09 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I had a great great great uncle that used to smear peanut butter between two ritz and then dip them in white chocolate. Those were good. I bet they don't let him make those in the nursing home.

Any body elses kid insist they sing all their books instead of reading them to him? Let me tell you, it ain't easy.

Manta glad you liked it. I made them again for tg and the Apples were mushy. Guess I won use granny smith next time. Theyshould tell you in the store which are good for baking.

And somebody send me these cookies. I've neverheard of them And Joe doesn't trade inthese parts.

Butter cookies are my downfall.

Dec 9, 09 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
And somebody send me these cookies. I've neverheard of them And Joe doesn't trade inthese parts.

smile

And i always loved gingersnaps.. Especially really thin ones..

Nite all.

Dec 9, 09 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

nam, those Moravian thin gingerbread cookies are THE best.

OK, now I'll tell a story: when I was a kid we would go visit the Moravian compound(?) in North Carolina where they made those super-thin cookies. I remember old large women taking huge cookie sheets out of the industrial ovens and removing the hot cookies form the baking sheet not with a spatula but with their hands: they'd sort of wiggle their fingers flipflipflip down two long rows until both hands were full, dump them into a tin, and go back for more.

Then years later - like four years ago - my dad and I bought shrimp from a roadside vendor in South Carolina. This old man goes out in his shrimp boat in the morning and sells the catch from a stand that afternoon. When we bought the shrimp he asked "Heads on or off?" We requested off, and he dumps the correct poundage into a big stainless steel trough, plunged both hands in, and flipflipflip de-headed those shrimp lickety split.

I enjoy watching craftsmen work and both these examples were masters of their craft.

-----

I went up to BSU to crit today and it was a LONG day with a lot of presentations on a tight schedule. Unfortunately this kind of packed schedule doesn't allow for the drawn-out storytelling that can be so enjoyable during crits. So I guess I'm dumping stories you all have probably heard before here to make up for it!

Dec 9, 09 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

we went to see tange's cathedral yeserday. is 5 minutes from the campus. very nice building.

a band was playing christmas music at the altar - acoustics were surprisingly good. wish i had camera with me.

Dec 9, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just caught 5 minutes of The Road Warrior on cable - man - I had forgotten how good-looking Mel Gibson was as a boy. Good heavens.

Dec 9, 09 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

shared a bottle of wine with a former classmate - she reminded me of Liberty Bell, that made me smile

Dec 10, 09 12:00 am  · 
 · 
n_

Hi all!

I saw DubK this weekend! Woohoo.

And....my final crit of the quarter is on Monday. F word, f word, f word.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Dec 10, 09 9:09 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aw, techno, I wish we could share a bottle of wine! Preferably in your part of the world, since here in the middle it's only getting up to 17 degrees today.

Dec 10, 09 9:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: