Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Lb,
Haha. I will take that bet.

Jul 27, 09 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

spent the weekend out on Cape Cod with the family and getting some much needed R&R. one morning I walked around before anyone else was on the beach and started to snap shots of the patterns on the sandbars while rehashing the Wolfram I've read recently in my mind.

Jul 27, 09 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

wolfram the computer scientist and creator of WolframAlpha?

Jul 27, 09 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

and author of A New Kind of Science!

Jul 27, 09 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that's a beautiful image Pixelwhore.

Jul 27, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

thank you - the location made it all to easy, I just happen to be there.

Jul 27, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

pixel, i love that site, have the toolbar. i spoke of it here a while ago...totally useful.

Jul 27, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

beta the new science site that pixel links to above?
Or the new WolframAlpha search engine?

Jul 27, 09 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Im confused about the boat. Can someone please explain.

T-minus 4 days and counting until vacation to FLorida. I better get busy.

Jul 27, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

the fact that its beached?

it was anchored during high tide and then the tide went out, leaving it on the sandbar.

Jul 27, 09 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

computer science nerds unite!

Jul 27, 09 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Pixel, is that a common occurance?

Jul 27, 09 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

The area of the Cape where we stay is on the bay side, so there's a decent change in water height from high to low tide. That picture was taken when the tide was all the way out; later in the day around high tide I swam out to the area around boat and the water was about 6'-0" or so.

I'm not sure how standard of a practice that is. I've typically only been there for a week or so at a time, but we've been going there since the early 80's and there's always been one or two boats hanging around like that.

Jul 27, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

pixel, I forgot to mention it earlier, but it's nice to see you back around these parts. When I saw your name I literally exclaimed out loud. :) (ps i think you know who I am... if not, email me, but shhh.)

Jul 27, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Congrats on the juror spot, AP.

Nam, get out of the funk!

My days are winding down in this city that I've called home for the past few years. So much packing, eating dinners, having farewell drinks, kissing goodbyes, crying goodbyes, smacking on the ass goodbyes, and trips to the Goodwill drop-off.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Jul 27, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

As truly befits my status, I am about to get a crown. Of course, the crown is on my tooth, and it's costing me one thousand bucks, and the status is that of "getting old".

Wahoo! Toasting my lucky day with a beer!

Jul 27, 09 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

have brian make one for ya!

Jul 27, 09 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks n_,

LB, post a accident (caused by falling asleep at the wheel a few years back) i needed among other things a post and crown. However, i still don't have it (given costs), and i have insurance. Someday.

Computer nerds hoa. (spllg??)

Jul 27, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Almost forgot to mention another recent piece of awesome: sat in as a guest critic for Quilian's DISCO student's final reviews at the GSD! Big ups to Q and his students for doing some great work on an extremely 'loaded' site in a short amount of time!

Jul 27, 09 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 27, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

oooh, retro cartoons. love em.

archi, as bit of advice, don't put off lecture presentations. they are a SERIOUS amount of work. i found out the hard way it is a full-time job and if you don't treat it as such your students will lynch you. or they should.

i guarantee you you will be tired of it shortly after you get started. the fun part for me is the actual presenting part. i am a natural clown and love to talk in public so enjoy that bit, but the prep part is pure torture. i am always finding out how little i actually know about the subject i am supposed to talk about, and then it takes ages to put together something that doesn't sound like pure rubbish. when i don't get it right the students know. it is uncanny and scary how tuned they are to bullshit.

Jul 27, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

n_, I can strongly relate to your farewell tour. Had one of my own just last month, and rationalist just got done with hers (she arrived in Phoenix safely yesterday).

If you're arriving in Seattle by the end of the week, I'll be up there visiting. We should get a beer! And by that I mean, a cheap, cheap beer.

Jul 27, 09 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
aml

jump i agree 200%. and it is such a high, i really miss it.

Jul 27, 09 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you know who was applauded after they gave a lecture? me that's who.

Jul 27, 09 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

What a fucking day.... but hey I'm still alive

HI TC!!!! Sounds like everyone for the most part is doing well. Keep it up... it's gonna turn around soon.

Nice to see you around again Pixel and aml.

n_ safe travels to your new home. How exciting.

Jul 27, 09 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Just can't help myself.

:o)

Jul 27, 09 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
aml

congrats 2000melt!!!

Jul 28, 09 12:40 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
i am always finding out how little i actually know about the subject i am supposed to talk about, and then it takes ages to put together something that doesn't sound like pure rubbish.

Wow, I am so glad I'm not the only one. That makes me feel better! I always feel like such a punk when prepping lectures / presentations.

Jul 28, 09 2:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

What The Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain is worth checking out...

Jul 28, 09 7:08 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

melt, are you seriously only at 2,000? Not denigrating you, just seems like you've been around much longer than that!

Wow, now I see that manta, aml, and Pixel are all under 2K too, and Sarah's not far above - man, I'm here way too much!

But congratulations!

Jul 28, 09 7:51 am  · 
 · 

i'm so sick of the reputation of architects as arrogant.

here we go again.

and my story in there is true: within 30 seconds of meeting this guy, he was dissing architects. asshole.

Jul 28, 09 8:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Holy crap! Steven calling someone an asshole? This guy must be a puppy-kicker! OFf to read the story...

Jul 28, 09 8:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, that guy. Yeah.

Jul 28, 09 8:11 am  · 
 · 

ThunderCats Ho!

Morning all,
Anyone heard from LIG? I assume he must be doing the family thing?

Jump, you aren't still lecturing are you? Was that just while getting Phd?

Still feeling funky(ish)

Jul 28, 09 8:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

speaking of consultants. how would you architects handle the following situation; you're in a meeting with the usual suspects, client, consultants and yourself. the consultants work for you or at least you hired them. then, one of the consultants says the can't do 'x' because they haven't received something from you, the architect, be it drawings or whatever. of course, all of this in front of your client. what would you do? my first inclination, or perhaps in my quasi-Quake fantasy world, i'd take a flamethrower to the a-holes, in front of the client, but i'd quickly wipe the shit eating grin off my face and tell the consultant that they have what they need as soon as this meeting ends. [fast forward to after meeting] i would pull the consultant aside, if it was a PM level person, and read them the riot act, and then call their boss and remind them who works for who, and that perhaps next time they want to throw me under a bus before my client, they might want to think about if they want work from me again.

is that so wrong? especially if the consultant has everything they need, and are just passing the buck for their own failures?

Jul 28, 09 8:54 am  · 
 · 

I've had large chunks of silence since my hey-day back in '05-'06.

This morning I booked my flight for Barcelona at the end of the month to help facilitate this workshop. I'll only be in the city for a week, but it should still be a good time coupled with a learning experience. I participated in the same workshop last year, so I'm excited to be on the other end of things since it helped get me motivated and thinking again.

Is Thundercats really considered vintage? If so, what does that make me?

Jul 28, 09 9:16 am  · 
 · 

Pixel, Sounds fun.
I think it is considered vintage now. You find it on clothes in teen clothing stores (Hot Topics et al)

Beta, sounds about right to me.

Jul 28, 09 9:28 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thundercats, is that what that was? Personally, I saw genitalia.

Jul 28, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 
n_

WonderK - I won't be in Seattle until mid September. I'm going to be a vagabond until then with my first stop starting tomorrow with a flight to your former home, Los Angeles. One day we can reunite and have a cheap, cheap beer. Speaking of cheap beer, I heart Pabst Blue Ribbon and I'm totally craving one from my fridge right now but holding off until noon because it is 9:14 a.m.

Regarding the debate within the Zero Energy in the Second City news piece:

Architects are notoriously arrogant and infallible when it comes to there design philosophy and view of how structures should be built and operate.

Wow. Hi blanket statement 

Jul 28, 09 10:16 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You skipped the "sitting on castles of ice cream" part, n_!

Of course, that blanket statement would maybe keep one warm when sitting on ice cream.

Jul 28, 09 10:18 am  · 
 · 
n_

Ha! I saw genitalia as well. I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want you guys to think that my head is in the gutter.

Full Disclaimer: My head usually is in the gutter.

Jul 28, 09 10:18 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

n_, at age 42 I've finally realized 1. I don't really mind if anyone thinks my head is in the gutter because 2. it is.

Jul 28, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
n_

You give me hope, liberty bell.

Jul 28, 09 10:32 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

BTW, beta, yes, you should do exactly what you posted: talk to the consultant privately and tell them DO NOT blame me for your mistakes especially in front of the client, and if your problem truly is due to a mistake on my part and there is no way to avoid saying so in a client meeting, then do it in a supportive, joking manner that shows the client we are a TEAM, which is what they expected when they hired me/us.

Jul 28, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

thanks LB, that's what feels right to me.

does anyone else suffer from being overly self-critical when it comes to your own work? i tend to think i would be much better off with a teammate, someone to have a dialog with, working out ideas. i think that's what i miss most about the studio environment, not so much the collaboration, but the ability to discuss ideas.

Jul 28, 09 10:47 am  · 
 · 

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a comment about the Eye of Thundera...

Is anyone else super excited about the new Prisoner TV series? I'm a HUGE fan of the original (I have the penny farthing image tattooed on me) and cannot wait to see what they've decided to do with something so dear to my heart. I figured if I can warm up to a Dr. Who series without Tom Baker I can't discount it regardless of whatever my first impression is.

Jul 28, 09 10:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

architects should be MORE arrogant. the need to compromise to meet payroll, get a job, etc is why there isn't a faster transition into full blown green design. if every architect suddenly proclaimed to be green designers and stopped doing lifestyle centers and strip malls and outlot buildings and overscaled houses etc..etc... eventually you'd see some change. if someone came into your office with a site plan and a scratched out pencil drawing of their shitty design for their chicken hut franchise and you tossed them out and insulted them along the way..oh wouldn't that be fun.

Jul 28, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 

I think Vado is on to something - be more arrogant people. Demand respect.

3 more days left in this job. I just interviewed a possible candidate to replace me, and he was a little shell shocked when I gave him a synopsis of the terms of reference. Apparently I've been overworking myself and was unaware.

@Beta - your situation reminds me of most client/consultant meetings I've been a part of. It further sucks when you don't defend yourself looks like you are completely guilty. I like the flame thrower idea - I've often imagined being an 80s wrestler jumping ontop of the table and kicking them in the head.

Congrats *melt

Jul 28, 09 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

you mean we should have standards, vado? i like to keep mine artificially low, just for fun, but if you think it will help the cause...well, ok, i guess i can think about it.

not lecturing now nam. we did 2 lectures last month, one in canada and one in israel. all the pain of making sense of architecture for others all rushed back and still is lingering... i gotta tell you it really forces ya to respect your ol teachers who made it all seem so easy way back when....actually, one of the guys who we work with in office is full-time prof and occasional architect. he spends something insane, like 10 hours preparing each 1 hour lecture. His lectures are very tight, like a band that has played together for a long time, and he is apparently quite popular with students. but damn that is a lawt of work.

thundercats has got to be classic. not as classic as those ol spiderman shows, but still classic-ish. me i didn't see the genitals, but am glad to read that some people did. i figger the more genitals people imagine that are seeing the better the world will be. its a philosophical thing.

Jul 28, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Jump couldn't agree more
i figger the more genitals people imagine that are seeing the better the world will be. its a philosophical thing.

Also, pixel i was always a big fan of the Prisoner show to and the fact that the new one has Gandalf makes me super excited. I hope they don't CGI/tech contemporize it (politically or visualy) too much though as can often happen with a remake.
Pretty cool tattoo idea to.

Jul 28, 09 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: