Archinect
anchor

Confessions of an Architect

m

I've come to hate clients. even the ones I like. is that wrong? they just really bug.
that's why I've stopped doing work for friends and family. never fails that they eventually irritate me during a project and christmas becomes weird.

Jun 16, 06 4:25 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I like Ikea too, Katastrophe...

Jun 16, 06 9:46 am  · 
 · 
cf

I drive around in my 1992 minivan windows down, reclined, shades, baseball hat -catchers position, with them big bass speakers shearing spot welds, cranked to the local Musak station, YO!

Also, "CADDERATOR ON BOARD" bumper sticker.

Jun 16, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

I moved to China because I couldn't "make it" in New York City. Oh Well.

Jun 17, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
laistm

i love my computer to the extent i hate to use my hands...quite a paradox if you're trying to be a successful architect dont you think?

Jun 17, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
dibster

I want to become a farmer if i dont make it as an architect.

Jun 18, 06 3:25 am  · 
 · 
digitrsh

confession:

i have a secret hatred for arch record them ever since my "sample" issue from 1st year turned into a "subscription" without my consent. after 5 more issues , a bill comes... i've graduated and still haven't paid...
i think arch record is boring anyways...

Jul 5, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
this_guy

I have worked all summer and I still have less then 100$ in my bank account....

Jul 6, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
jules

about ginkgo trees (in response to a post several pages ago), female trees bear seeds with seadcoats that stink when they peel and rot. well, on to my confessions...

i feel asleep twice at work yesterday while doing tedious CAD work; a co-worker whom i've never met woke me up the second time. this is much worse than falling asleep in class.

i don't have an ego, and thus feel i will never become an architect. an ego is definitely on my wishlist come next birthday.

my brother is a mechanical engineer, who thinks that the work of architects is to make buildings look pretty, and that all buildings would be functional warehourse boxes were the world built by engineers. since then, i have stopped talking to him about architecture and persuading him otherwise. (no one is allowed to use the word "pretty" in any of my previous design studios. and, calatrava is an engineer. also, once upon a time in a distant land engineers and architects were one and the same.)

i am in my early twenties, and i have never dated. i wonder if i can upstage josey-grossey (i couldn't help watching 'never been kissed' while channel-surfing, okay?).

i also have many books on the shelf, purchased long ago but never been fully read. included are s,m,l,xl, learning from las vegas, complexity and contradiction in architecture, content, towards a new architecture, an aldo rossi monograph, etc. *head hanging in shame*

Jul 6, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
jules

also, i watch too much CSI: LAS VEGAS, excusing myself by identifying some architectural worth in correctional facilities and las vegas in theory.

mostly i don't eat during office hours, only gorging myself on free office food when they're there from office meetings, mat-leave parties, the generosity of colleagues in the form of party trays. um, saving up for school in september?

Jul 6, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
jules

i have a crush on my professor.

i am crushed that germany didn't make it to the finals in the world cup, but what's important is each gameplay, right?

alright, i'm going to stop treating this like a religeous confessional booth and halt the posting. this thread is indeed very helpful.

Jul 6, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
rza

I am fifteen, and was born in 1990 (December 13th).

2. I purposely slack to distance myself from the rich pricks in my International Baccalaureate diploma program. Physics midterm = 91, Physics post-exam = 76.

3. I tought myself HTML/CSS and Linux while in elementary school.

Aug 13, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yawn.

I have a toolbar on ACAD that contains a button for ESCAPE and a button for DESELECT. I am lazy.

Aug 13, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just visited this thread for the first time in months. jpark, I hope things have gotten better for you!

diabase, we know you are not really lazy, and you can tell us how many megs of memory you have created in the last six months to prove me right.

As for a confession, here is one: while on vacation last week, I missed my computer, my drawings, my desk, and my archinect too much to be considered healthy. I'm unbalanced.

Aug 14, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I am overpaid.

Aug 14, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Big time.

Aug 14, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
dia

Liberty - 13.4gb and counting...

Aug 14, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

I just one to take a moment to give cred to Abra for the

"montu, did you come yet?" comment way back in 10/26/04.

I mean I just checked this thread out now and kinda got bored about 2/3 of the way through the first page but that was by far the bext comment.

Aug 14, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
steph p.

i like surfing modthesims

Aug 16, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm not creative.

I don't think I'll ever have the courage to actually move somewhere and live on my own.

Am really pissed off that all this downtime at the office is not counting anything for IDP.

Aug 17, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
nosnarb

i miss accurender :( wonder if I still have a copy of it laying around

I worked for a self proclaimed starchitect for several years before recieving an offer from another local firm for some more $$ and much more freedom.

Moral of the the story: money may talk, but it doesnt always speak the truth.

Aug 17, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I hate 3d modeling

Aug 17, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

everybody hated me in undergrad

Aug 17, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

TK - and why is that?

Aug 17, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

can't work with out my archinect drip.

ahhh the sweet bliss of posting!

Aug 17, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

ha -I agree.

Aug 17, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

didn't have my archinect drip back in '94. Should have known me without my meds!

Aug 17, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

too bad you didn't know me when I had big hair..he he just kidding..

Aug 18, 06 12:07 am  · 
 · 
citadel

I collect miniature designer chairs.

Aug 18, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
Verity

Just checked this thread recently
ok, here goes:
I was passionate about architecture when I started college.
I hate everything to do with architecture now. phew!

Aug 23, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

i dont want to become an architect because there isn't enough money in it.

what a shame, because i love arch but I know i'll end up resenting it.

Aug 24, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

1. i can't do math
2. Joshua Prince Ramus is so hot
3. i am a workaholic
4. when i was once a little girl, i wanted to be an interior designer
5. i'll be an architect before i go to grad school (in three years)

Aug 24, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I am addicted to buying shoes.

Aug 24, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 

I can't find an electronic copy of my master's dissertation

Aug 25, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I practiced Architecture Today! It did feel nice! Damn....think I have to change my shorts!

Aug 25, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
koboldstudios

Sometimes i wear black eyeliner...

Sep 7, 06 1:45 am  · 
 · 
Abhishek

i m poor at design but simply enhance it with good presentation...

Sep 7, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Abhishek

I JUST LOVE TO AWAKE THE WHOLE NIGHT.... even if work is not there.

Sep 7, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Abhishek

I JUST LOVE TO AWAKE THE WHOLE NIGHT.... even if work is not there.

Sep 7, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
steph p.

i think ole scheeren is hot.
but why is he wearing a white coat that looks alot like mine?
and now i'm being put off by it.

Sep 9, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
M+

at some point in my undergrad, i thought Richard Meier was cool

Sep 9, 06 4:36 am  · 
 · 
Ernest

I have uneasy questions about my profession.
In fact, the whole thing became a tragic experience of what architecture means today, and how creativity is dealt with.

Sep 9, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

ADA guidelines have tainted my love of designing architecture around the body and what feels good. I spend more time ensuring there is an accessible route to the toilet and there is enough clearance to operate doors that I don't "feel" the architectural drawings anymore. They are just stupid math and meaningless diagrams.

I could show my boss ANYTHING and he'd respond with "Groovy", pull out his butt plug (stamp) and stamp it without another thought. I'm learning having a "cool" boss isn't necessarily better than the anal boss.

I knowingly let a set of drawings go out the door with massive errors because I got too overwhelmed. Funny, no one has caught it yet, good, I need all the time I can get to practice my 'I dunno' face.

Nov 15, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Rogue Agent

It annoys me that the wide majority of architects I know think that it is a job requirement to be unhappy.

Nov 15, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
thehoule

Confessions:

I'm paranoid that I'm not really a good worker, but that my bosses are just nice to me out of pity.

I hate it when architects use "+" when they mean "&".

I would live in a Robert A. M. Stern shingle-style house. (Boy, was that one hard to admit even to myself!)

Nov 15, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

i hate when people try to correct the used of "and" which really is a plus sign "+" vs, serifs "&"

Also I hate architects that use serifs - its immature, grow up you f*kers

Nov 19, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i want to burn all but maybe 10 of my books.

Nov 19, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
too many lines!

oh my... the skeletons in my closet...

1) i hate museums... they give me panic attacks

2) i was an engineer, i'm not yet an architect, and deep down i want to be a chef

3) i worshipped zaha hadid's work until i saw what she looks like

Nov 19, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I hate 3d modeling.

I'm happiest buldozing down trees.

Nov 19, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

I like being the misunderstood architect...

Nov 19, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: