Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

LB- I think that guy who started all the sex threads was crushmaster... I forgot his name.

And I'm back! My voice is GONE from barhopping in the cold, and having to shout over music to order drinks in a certain particularly crappy one. But it was good overall. I don't think my feet will recover for at least a week, but know that's because I'm a wimpy angeleno that's more dependent on my car than I like to admit. Pictures later.

Mar 27, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I cannot stop laughing.

My computer is currently experiencing the following battle:

Columbia vs. work

Columbia is winning.

PS. For the record, snowi, those flowers are not worth talking about. I sure hope those page numbers show up at the top soon.....

Mar 27, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

okey...just returned from lucnh and ....no signs of my firing yet! score one for archintect!

Mar 27, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm with you as usual WonderK: I'm laughing almost hard enough for coke to come out my nose.

Steven, I'm going to be embarassed if I'm misinterpreting, but do I need to start a "Steven vs. diabase" thread, or a "Steven vs. crushmaster" thread? ;-)

In either case, you know Scott and I agree that you are the best.

I have lots of things to add to the woohoo thread, but I can't figure out how to phrase them. Let's just say life is making me happy lately. And fun on archinect is definitely not the least of it.

Mar 27, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

all this columbia versis the world stuff reminds me of the day last december (was it december 5th?) when per corel sent the trhread listing into a tizzy by sticking an animation in the title and eevrybody tried to suppress it...if only we had comumbia versus back then it would have been soom uch easier...

Mar 27, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Ah, Liberty, you made my day. And pictures soon from Rationalist... so many things to look forward to.

All of the threads on schools, which I have witnessed for the past 5 years or so, makes me glad that I live in a country where there are only 3 schools.

Then again, I left mine in NZ and transferred to RMIT in Melbourne. Even then, there are only about 11 schools in Australia, and mine was/is the only one worth attending...

Maybe I'll start a columbia vs. RMIT thread... then again, there's no point debating such an irrelevant comparison - comparing RMIT to Columbia is like comparing Elle Macpherson to Paris Hilton.

Mar 27, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

i have nothing against either diabase or crushmaster.

and if you're referring to 'my rival' - those are of course the words of mr fagen, not me.

[i think vado's 24 hrs are up so i have stopped citing steely dan lyrics now. for some reason i felt it necessary to do it also, in some way a show of solidarity. i inhaled too much lead paint dust yesterday.]

Mar 27, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I have something in common with Steven - we were both left out of vado's and abracadabra's song. I never forget.

Mar 27, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
grid

So all these vs threads are getting rediculous.

Mar 27, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

*also left out - yet still in good company.

Mar 27, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear diabase
the song is essential vado. init i had my slice of american pie and a can o beer. thanks again vado, i really appreciated.
also,
as you might have noticed, i try to keep posting the first post as a picture last 4 times. i remember last one being peace sign and another one love sculpture this time its don cherry, honoring his contribution to american culture and as i was typing this i remembered another picture i posted, the statue of liberty. now that my memory is back, i want to go back to the plan drawing i am working on.
$ vs fun.

Mar 27, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
AP

fun in a landslide.

Mar 27, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

happy drawing, abra.

Mar 27, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well ya see now yes I AM embarassed, I had no idea those were Steely Dan lyrics. But I plead total ignorance because for years I had no idea that Steely Dan was the name of a band, not the name of a guy, and when we saw Donald Fagen accept a Grammy I asked my husband several times "So is that guy Steely Dan?" I'm dense, dense like concrete sometimes.

Glad I made your day, diabase!

Mar 27, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

other bands that are not a person in the band:

jethro tull
lynyrd skynyrd
Franz Ferdinand
veruca salt
the thompson twins
uriah heep

Mar 27, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

molly hatchett

Mar 27, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

by the way which one's pink?

Mar 27, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Mar 27, 06 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the flying burrito brothers were not brothers
nor were the doobie brothers, although skunk(vs.squirrel)baxter was in steely dan and michael mcdonald did a lot of background vocals for mr. dan.
the righteious brothers were not brothers...although they were rightious brother...

Mar 27, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

procol harum was not a harem.

Mar 27, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

...and dexy's midnight runners were not affiliated with anyone named dexy, nor were they runners...

Mar 27, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

nor were the Ramones real Ramones!

Mar 27, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i'd like to mark today as the day archinect discussions finally surpassed all previous versions in terms of mass movement and creativity.
version vs. version

Mar 27, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

what the hell is wrong with you people....

Mar 27, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
dia

abra - duly noted, and I am being cheeky.

there has certainly been a lot of activity here today. I was wondering before what keeps me coming back here - not in a whats the point kind of way, but more of an analysis of the attractiveness of the site and its inhabitants...

Mar 27, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
dia

And, my next post on this thread will be by 1020th, thereby meeting my target of 51:1020.

I will commemorate this small event with an image.

Mar 27, 06 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Mar 27, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

thats a pretty nice band painting it moves even on internet

Mar 28, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well done diabase. Now the trick is to see how long you can hold out and not post anything to keep that ratio looking good. I couldn't do it for more than about 4 hours.

Mar 28, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wait! What's going on?

The Police were not police.

Mar 28, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hmmm I was wondering where Steven Ward had been all day and then I remembered it's his birthday!!! Happy happy, Steven hope you guys had fun.

Mar 28, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

as promised....

If you zoom in on the bear's belly, you'll see me and some friends in the glass...

Mar 29, 06 12:26 am  · 
 · 

I mean...

Mar 29, 06 12:28 am  · 
 · 

He wants in!

Mar 29, 06 12:29 am  · 
 · 

My new fav artwork... I just love the craft of this, it's so smooth.

Mar 29, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 

Michael Graves + Daniel Leibeskin + some wierdass fortress of an art museum - space = one big jumble of shit.

Mar 29, 06 12:33 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

As Thread Central seems to be where all the sage veteran Archinect-ers hang out, I have a new guy observation/question:

Is there an unwritten courtesy regarding one's posts per comments ratio? Or at least a "do your homework by reading the threads before you post, dummy" sort of protocol?

Just wondering, since this brightside person sure likes to post (currently sporting a mind-numbing 1:4.3 post to comment ratio)...

Mar 29, 06 2:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

broccolijet, you are correct: it chaps me (and others if reading here is any clue) when people post threads but never comment, like they are looking for answers but not willing to bother with helping anyone else out or even commenting on their own damn topic.

But there is no magic number correct ratio (though that's also a big topic for some people personally interested in how their name appears with numbers!). You've been around long enough I definitely recognize your name and 54 comments/0 posts is certainly a safe ratio for starting threads! But in my mind you can start a thread without any comments as long as you then hang around and discuss your topic with others who are interested. It's the 1/0 post/comment people who make me nuts (and WonderK too): why would you throw some crap out there and then disappear to never take part in the discussion?!

Anyway, welcome, I know you've been around awhile. It's nice of you to notice that there might be such a thing as "etiquette" in a virtual hang out.

Mar 29, 06 7:03 am  · 
 · 

thanks, lb. had a wonderful day.

we went to the new restaurant [proof] in the museum/hotel 21c that my old office worked on with deborah berke. new coolest place in town. the bathroom mirrors look at you.

oh, and i got new music by feist and prince. and an ice cream cake from graeters with raspberry chip inside. and a 100gb hard drive.

i'm spoiled, i think.

Mar 29, 06 7:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ha, that Feist is sooo good! I actually went to see her with vado on his birthday! The archinect connected-ness thunders on.

(speaking of which vado where the h*ll is my copy of the Jason Collett who opened for Feist?! Now I'm jonesing for it!)

Mar 29, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
e

happy birthday steven. glad to hear your day was so special.

Mar 29, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Remember way back in November when we had a fight about couches?

Finally picked mine up today:

OK all you fancy dog/modern furniture lovers: How do I keep the pooch off the new couch?!?

(Yes I am an utterly shameless self-promoter.)

Mar 29, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 

i don't see as self promo but sharing, it takes guts and inventory...

things are looking great d. congratulations on the big progress. really good.

oh that gus...

Mar 29, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

lb, that looks beautiful. i have a george nelson daybed with a back that i have been thinking about having re-upholstered. it is in a brown naugahyde right now. you've sold me on the idea now. did you have the cushion replaced too?

our dog is only allowed up on the couch when invited. we also have a blanket for her that sits on the couch and she knows that is her spot.

img]http://www.somelabdesign.com/photos/random/01.jpg[/img]

Mar 29, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
e
Mar 29, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, oh, oh: the doggy, the sock monkey, that pic is too adorable!!!!

We had the cushions on the couch totally replaced not just recovered, as the existing foam was musty and my sweetie has pretty intense allergies. The foam was +/- 30% of the upholstery cost, so it makes a significant price difference if you decide to replace them. Maybe being covered in Naugahyde aka plastic the foam will still be OK?

Thanks Orhan - guts I got, inventory is slow in coming on an architect's salary!

Mar 29, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

thanks for making me feel welcome lb -- seems you guys have been doing this a while so i feel it's better to get a lay of the land so to speak before budging in on other people's good times. i guess i posed the question more as an editorial commentary...i think someone's post:comment ratio says a lot about their personality. raising the logical question, what does my 0:55 say about me?!

btw, what does the rest of the artwork on your wall say? the small part visible through the kitchen door looks really compelling.

Mar 29, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
e

i think i may have the foam replaced so that it feels a bit firmer. i don't think will redo it with naugahyde. we'd like to have something a bit softer. thx.

Mar 29, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

broccoli: I should have credited Abby Donovan, an artist in Eugene OR, for that wall piece. It is a quote from Samuel Beckett's Molloy, I think?

Let me try and explain
from things about to disappear
I turn away in time

It says something that my husband installed that wall piece before we had even finished paint/installed vent covers/built in shelving/etc. in the room. Art first, everything else follows.

e: The old foam was reallllllllly squishy! So if you can afford new foam I say go for it. I used Maharam Kvadrat fabric, wool, not too expensive but appropriately nubby, for mine. And tonight I pull out an old blanket to try to show to Gus as "his" spot on the couch, as I know one way or another that tenacious bully will end up on it!

Mar 29, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I should note that the windows still need to be painted, and I'm actually considering repainting all the trim brown-black instead of white - I'm not crazy about the white and it wasn't my decision in the first place, my husband painted it: so I may have to put down my architect foot.

Mar 29, 06 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: