Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

aml

thanks for the cork pics, lb- i don't think i've actually seen a cork floor up close. don't think we have that available here in south america [although we do have cork as a material, hmmm]. i'm going to go research this a bit.

nice camel, but what are those, 3d glasses? just curious...

Mar 30, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

picture is taken in turkey, yesterday. there it was, best spot on earth to see total solar eclipse. whole country got excited. here are some more pics of solar eclipse... hurriyet

Mar 30, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wait, did I miss something? abra, are YOU in Turkey right now?!? Jeepers.

That camel looks wise, no? Reminds me of my doggy Gus. I think of Gus as the uber-animal, as he bears resemblance to so many other animals (horse, cow, camel, bear, goat).

I got my cork plank flooring from black river floors. They have provided excellent customer service so far, except the website says there is some special profile block you can use for pounding the tongue and groove together on the cork planks. But when I called they said, no we don't carry such a thing. But it is very easy to make your own pounding block (ether, the jig thread comes to mind) with a cutout to prevent smashing the tongue. I am ordering some of the more funky patterned planks, with lines, for a modern house client I'm working with right now. Honestly, I can't say enough good about cork right now, I'm ready to sheath the entire interior of my bedroom with it!

Mar 30, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

We used to have a cork floor in our kitchen when i was growing up- just foot square tiles- incredibly durable- just about last 18 years.....

Has anyone used rubber flooring? as sheets? I saw a bathroom once that was like a massive wetroom- and the colour was so vibrant

Mar 30, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

So, what the hell is going on in the forum?

vs. threads that were funny for all of 1/2 an hour, stupid stereotypes about the british men and women, wow... I miss the days of tension about grad schools.

Mar 30, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i like cork too...always felt it has a kind of richness, sort of reminds of leather but on the floor. i would also like to use rubber on floors...but everywhere, not just bathrooms.

the one thing i really dislike is that damn vct stuff that seems to be everywhere at times. i'm not a big fan of carpet either. oh...and if a client is bellyaching about the cost of a project, you could always suggest that they just skip flooring altogether and use the existing earth/dirt. they always think i'm kidding about this, but i'm usually not. someday i'd love to have a room with beach sand as a floor...it's so nice to walk barefoot in

by the way, at last check i think i was the 28th most frequent poster on this forum according to the member stats page...that's good enough to make the first page! status...feels great.

Mar 30, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

what does my 25/345 say about me?

Most of my 25 entries are news postings or issues, i actually dont think I ask too much from my fellow archinecters.

Mar 30, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

I think a chill pill is in order... geebus.

Mar 30, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Would someone please tap me on the electronic shoulder when all the caps lock, vs., crappy nonsense stops? This stuff has scared away some very valuable cohorts....

Also, at 26/1065, I am a big responder. I'm good at reacting to things. I think there is always a little bit of a twinge of anxiety when you post a topic, like, is anyone going to respond? Do they even CARE? (sniff sniff)

My next post will hereby be in honor of the Norman invasion of England.

Mar 30, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh, sand! wow! that should be on the life's little pleasures thread.

rubber sounds pretty cool to me, too. bouncy bouncy, like when you take a shortcut through a park just to walk on that fancy new recycled tires playground stuff... mmm!

I do like straight up concrete floors--provided that the concrete is beautifully done. A smooth, waxed concrete floor (especially with radiant heating pipes buried in it) is a beautiful thing, particularly under my stockinged feet at my desk all winter.

Mar 30, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

holy crap. second semester reviews - done.

Mar 30, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Yeah, my very first post was a recent lame grenade tossed out there to see what people thought of Gehry's Tiffany collection, if anything. Apparently, the answer was nothing.

Certainly not an auspicious start on my part...ah well, guess you gotta start somewhere.

Mar 30, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in the spirit of silent disapproval robot i am offering this image as my declaration of disapproval...feel free to use it or have fun and find one of your own. now i must post my disapproval...

Mar 30, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay, ether, yay!!!!!! Now post some images of the work on your Cranbrook website, but first go drink and relax on this spring day!!!!!

Also, I'd love to hear what the other artists in res thought of the architecture department this time around. They often seemed a bit flummoxed by us when I was there. Not Carl Toth, though. He was always on.

Mar 30, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'm heading to LA tomorrow for a weeklong vacation; renting a small place in Versus....dammit....I mean Venice Beach.
When I return I hope the toys will be cleaned up and the scribbles cleaned off the walls.

Mar 30, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

smack em all down vado.

Mar 30, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

what cracks me up are the valiant attempts to put up "legit" posts that seem to get quickly overwhelmed by responses to the senseless ones. sad really, but still kinda funny.

Mar 30, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
ether

thanks lb. i'm heading home in a few to get my relax on. i'll try and post some stuff in the next few days (reviews continue through tuesday). unfortunately carl was off today. but when bill gets back, i'm sure we'll get the run down of the 'post' discussion.

Mar 30, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
ether

and what the hell has happened to this place in the last few days? is it me or is this soulikeit 'chap' driving people bonkers?

Mar 30, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

"chap"? I kinda thought soulikeit was a girl.... oh well. But yeah, (s)he's driving ME bonkers at least. Does graphic design relate to architecture? Nah, of course not.

Mar 30, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
dia

soulikeit: interesting. I initially thought she had some sass in the UK vs. US thread. I am partial to the bombastic.

However, that thread about graphic design/architecture wisened me up/

It seems that there are 3 types of newbie:

1, Those that join, frequent for a while until they get the guts to post or create a thread
2. Those that immediately start posting and enjoy the thrill of getting responses, no matter how inane their topic.
3. Those that just want information.

Mar 30, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

4. Those that are hell-bent on getting a certain specific response which confirms their own personal views, and persist in being completely thick-headed about the fact that they make no sense, or are not seeing something very obvious to the rest of the world.

Mar 30, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
aml

abra, where you in turkey? did you see the solar eclipse? saw on the news that there's this small town that was the perfect spot to watch, and all hotels had been booked for 3 years in advance.

Mar 30, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

mark me a #4.

Mar 30, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Well put rationalist.

Speaking of ratios, someone has an opportunity to hit a ratio of 6:66 on the 6.6.6. Any nominees?

Also, regarding another possbile architect competition mentioned in another thread - it should be compulsory. If you dont submit, you should have your IP address blocked. Lets put our money where our mouse is.

Mar 30, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I also disapprove. of what, I'm not exactly sure. but i'm in a dissaproving mood... although cork floors and turkish solar eclipses are always alright with me...and camels. I like camels.

Mar 30, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
AP

wow abra...awesome pictures. sorry if it's poor form...but I can't resist posting some more of these straight to Thread Central...Fantastic.

Mar 30, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
AP

disapproving mood over.

done done done.

character turkish.

mid-century eclipses of brass.

Mar 30, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

diabase- please point me in the direction of this thread. I don't read ANYWHERE near all the threads anymore.

Mar 30, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

cool.

there was a full eclipse on the canada prairie when i was in grade four and we all did the same as the folks above

i remember the teacher taking us all outside with our homemade foil glasses and watching the ground turn dark in the afternoon, then watched the moon eat the sun. it was awesome. and it was february in 1979.

but funny thing is i really absolutely remember it being summer time. memory so totally playing tricks. ain't that the damndest?

Mar 30, 06 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i'll go in june for 2-3 weeks. i love izmir and urban density.

Mar 30, 06 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Rationalist
Mar 30, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

ahhhh... one of those threads that sunk into the abyss. Yeah, I'd def. be up for it.

Mar 30, 06 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yeah, it took me a while to find it - amazing to see how many new threads there are and the degree of churn.

Mar 30, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

i've been getting a little disenchanted with the site lately. it's too difficult for people who spend any amount of time actually working to keep up on things. feels like the place turned into a huge instant messenger rather than a message board. anyway, hope it all calms a bit when this grad stuff has passed.

Mar 31, 06 12:20 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

true. goodbye archinect.

Mar 31, 06 12:30 am  · 
 · 
e

i swear. i am sorry. father, forgive me for my sins.

Mar 31, 06 12:48 am  · 
 · 

that's why I love Thread Central though... I just keep up here, and if it's worth looking at, then probably somebody will have mentioned it here. But yeah, I definitely don't have the time to actually read all that....

Mar 31, 06 1:26 am  · 
 · 
e

i was searching for a thread where i had mentioned to southpole about a project that i might get for an organization that produces films on human rights struggles around the world. couldn't find the damn thing. i searched and searched but i got tired of searching. anyhoo, i got the job.

it's for elizabeth farnsworth, a senior correspondent for the news hour with jim lehrer. needless to say, i am very excited. hope you see this southpole.

Mar 31, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's devo rockin out at eclipsapaloozer...

Mar 31, 06 6:00 am  · 
 · 

e,

very cool. daily show and the newshour are the only good news shows on tele lately.

what will you be doing?

Mar 31, 06 7:32 am  · 
 · 

what, jump? you're not a fan of extreme makeover house edition?!

Mar 31, 06 7:34 am  · 
 · 
French

Hi all
I came here to express hoiw disappointed I was with the direction this forum is heading and I just noticed SuperHeavy's post. So I suppose it's not just me. How do you guys feel about that?

Mar 31, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hang in there everyone. Things will calm down and we'll be able to get back to some reasonable, helpful, and interesting discussion soon. It helps, I think, to just not respond to the pointedly stupid topics, especially the ones posted by newbies, although I encourage everyone to respond to vado's stupid topics.

I'm not trying to be exclusionary, I want new people to join and bring compelling topics to the forums. But the endless grad school debates and the selfish asking of questions when one hasn't demonstrated doing any previous research really bug me.

Mar 31, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

oh and French it's nice to see you again.

Mar 31, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
French

Thanks liberty
It's just, you know, I'm all for freedom of speech, and for open forums and stuff, but lately, as other have expressed before, it feels like coming back to this forum is just completely useless, either to ask for a question or to participate to a discussion. I don't know if I should wish for the administrator of archinect to come up with some new rules that would re focus the forum or just give up posting. I guess it's just not like back in the 90's anymore. Internet has just become another way to kill time instead of watching tv or playing games. It's not the universal live encyclopedia/museum/library it could have been. And maybe I'm getting too old for joking with kids about Chuck Norris, British nationalism or things like that.

Mar 31, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Don't worry, French, you're not old. This wasted potential is driving me insane too and I'm only 25.

I kind of wonder if there should be basically two boards: one for students/student-related stuff, and one for those of us in practice, or basically not in school. For example, the recent CA thread was pretty interesting, and I love discussing new built work or flooring possibilities etc. But frankly I could not care less about grad schools. I cannot imagine even being the type of person who would agonize and obsess over all these things, so it drives me nuts just to read about others being anxious about it all. I had sympathy for about the first two days but now I really just feel like it needs to stop.

I'm all for silliness but there should be some kind of seperate board for it, perhaps. I don't know. I'm hoping it'll all just go away after awhile.

Mar 31, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
myriam

CA = Const. Admin., not the great golden state.

ok crankiness done. It is wayyy too nice a day to be cranky!

Mar 31, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Congratulations e! I remember that thread too but I have no idea where/how to search for it. Dang. I think it was a professional-related topic like how much to bill or how to write a contract, something like that?

Anyway: very very exciting, I remember you had a bunch of big proposals out a little while ago, glad to hear this exiting one came through!

myriam yesterday was utterly gorgeous here, today is pouring rain. Thank god for morning coffee. (argh I'm such a freakin midwesterner now talkin' about the weather!)

Mar 31, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
myriam

aww, lb! That's a shame. Don't worry, Bostonians looooove to talk about the weather, too. It's part of the whole Puritanical self-flagellation thing! I might become a mid-western soon, thinking about moving to Chicago possible.

Congrats, e! That sounds like fun. I don't remember the thread so if you feel like putting more details about the project in here that'd be interesting.

Mar 31, 06 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: