Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

So now we can make a list of Archinect archetypes.

Jan 25, 18 9:54 am
Tinbeary There there

I'm just here for the camaraderie. 

Jan 25, 18 2:11 pm
citizen

^ One of my favorite words. And things.

Tinbeary There there

I'm also here for the vocabulary development!

my new year just started

Jan 25, 18 11:28 pm
Positive Pete

...and I am not interested in social networks that do not include architecture.

as a charm I really do carry a 1/5 model in me bag every day.

Jan 26, 18 12:32 am
Positive Pete

i gave that model away and some fool sells it on Google Sketchup warehouse, just send me an email, it's free from me...

people that charge for stuff like this...well it'sbad you know.

mantaray
I don't really hang out with architects in my normal life. Guess that's why I too enjoy the camaraderie here!
Jan 26, 18 8:20 am

Apparently nobody got the Fantasy Island reference in the kitchen island thread. I must be getting old. <sigh> 

Jan 26, 18 9:15 am
shellarchitect

fantasy island?

Probably before you were born.

Non Sequitur

Hey, is that the same little person at the butler in Man with the Golden Gun? Awesome.

shellarchitect

I googled FI and had the exact same thought!

shellarchitect

1981, so I was at least around

geezertect

They probably don't know who J.R. Ewing was either.

I got it, Miles, and laughed. I just don't have much time to comment here lately. Also on that thread my only comment would be "Gross, this design sucks, why do you want your feet touching the same material as your hands and food are?" but that feels too mean to me so I stayed quiet.

b3tadine[sutures]

Zee Plane!

Tinbeary There there

I try to make new friends on other social media but seems everyone else out there willing to be a *friend* is actually promoting their MLM crap. "You're so pretty. But your cheeks are dry, you should try this cream." Or you mention you are tired and somebody has an energy drink to sell you. I even got a sales pitch from a master neurolinguistic programmer earlier this week willing to give me a *deep session* to help uncover my human design. 

Jan 26, 18 9:41 am

'Social media' is an oxymoron.

Jan 26, 18 11:02 am
mantaray
Actually, it probably WOULD help the forum if the sub-responded were included as a "refresher" on the front page. That's a good point! Bc you're right, otherwise it's not like ppl are going to go back and read thru threads to see if there's any new responses.

Also, Archinect Powers That Be, while I'm at it I'd love it if I could reply to someone on the mobile platform... currently can only do on the full website, it seems.
Jan 26, 18 2:25 pm
Wood Guy

Sometimes I like the reply function being under the radar. But mostly I agree that it should be treated like a comment.

If there was a 'read/unread' ability with comments, and you could easily find and read 'unread' comments that would be nice. Otherwise the replies tend to get lost.

Will a reply further up the page bring the thread to the top in the forum page?

Tinbeary There there

Speaking of social media, I just sold someone on working with an architect for their custom home by talking about selecting a site and designing with views in mind over the general contractor who was saying to start with how big you want your house and asking how much do you want to spend. Now, if only I had experience in custom homes, I probably could be the one going to help pick a site right now. 

Jan 26, 18 3:00 pm
RickB-Astoria

You actually need to ask all those questions. Before you can pick a site, you need to know what you have in money in total. If the land area was already acquired, and choosing where to place the building, I would personally avoid siting the building on the nicest part of the land. The nice flat area of the land on a hill-side (for example) makes a area for a front lawn. I would site the building so there can be that lawn area. Having the view can be achieved without losing a lawn area. 

Find the worst (but good from a geological/foundation placement) spot for a lawn area to place the building. If the client has kids, there needs to be an area that is good for play activity or for a dog to run around in or other kinds of outdoor activity. Don't lose that in the process. The question about budget and spatial/function space requirements will also need to be asked concurrently. Which ever question is asked first, doesn't matter. It must be asked and answered so it can provide you a picture of what they can do when part of site selection. I usually ask these questions before I picking a spot on the site to place the building. 

Knowing what the client has to spend can effect what property they can buy and what is left for building the home. You kind of have to think ahead. I think both are right to a point. I like having some picture of their financial status when selecting a site and to some extent what they want to build and provide the best judgement I can in terms of service. 

Lack of information from the client can make it difficult. They could easily blow their entire pool of money on buying land and not have anything for building the home. The sum of land acquisition & custom home total project budget must be equal to or less than what the available funds are. 

If it can't be done, then it is my professional duty to inform the client that they need to increase available budget to meet the total sum. 

AB must be = or > LPB + CHDB. 

AB (Available Budget), LPB (Land Purchase Budget), CHDB (Custom Home Development Budget). 

If AB < (LPB+CHDB) then AB must be increased or LPB+CHDB must be reduced.

Tinbeary There there

The design-build people came in and stole the show.

RickB-Astoria

Not so fast. It was design-bid-build that came in and stole the show for awhile and then design-build (the traditional way buildings were designed & built) retook the show.

Tinbeary There there

FYI, Rick, I never read anything you write.

I think I have the ability to nuke that whole kitchen island thread if I want to. Should I? Or are you guys enjoying it? Go register your opinion over on that thread and I'll decide.

Jan 27, 18 11:02 am
Non Sequitur

Donna, we can move the discussion over to Houzz if you want. (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5027137/final-kitchen-design-feedback)

In the future can a survey option be installed? So if anyone posts "I need help, what do you think about x" a poll can be posted with: 

Vomit,

bleh,

Meh, and 

Hire someone for profession advice

(choose two)

Jan 27, 18 11:36 am

Dear Internet, what is the magic dimension of this element? Thanks in advance.

Jan 27, 18 2:57 pm

uscpsycho's thread on Houzz is hilarious. He seems to have exhausted the possibility of further anal obsession there over the last couple of months and moved here ... but I doubt he'll be back.  

Jan 27, 18 5:53 pm
RickB-Astoria

Donna, flush that kitchen island thread down the Archinect Bathroom toilet.

Jan 27, 18 8:11 pm
randomised

And flush this image, I've seen it way too many times...

RickB-Astoria

I wish I could but it seems the flush handle must have a biometric lock only accepting the biometrics of Archinect staff and other Archinect authorized individuals.

randomised

Well, at least stop reposting it ;)

RickB-Astoria

Dude! It was already posted before replying to you, here.

I'm not a robot

Can the big green head put a trigger warning with that image of a wood toilet seat?  It makes me think of a bathroom with wall to wall carpet.  NSFA - not safe for architects.

Jan 27, 18 9:51 pm

OMG that Houzz discussion makes me want to put a gun in my mouth. Humans are so awful, myself included.

In other news, we went to the theater tonight to watch Romeo and Juliet and it was awesome!  Small theater, thrust stage (I thought it was called full thrust but maybe I've been listening to too much Belinda Blinked podcast?), contemporary costumes and set design but original Shakespeare dialogue. Really wonderful and painfully sad. Shakespeare holds up!

Jan 27, 18 10:35 pm
Tinbeary There there

Those beige cabinets by fiver go in the same category as the wooden toilet seat. Ewww.

Jan 28, 18 11:53 am
b3tadine[sutures]

It's funny, I never really gave waterfall counters too much grief, but when you see an entire thread of them, you really begin to hate the fuck out of them.

Tinbeary There there

I know what you mean. Today's waterfall counters are tomorrow's avocado fridges. They get stale really quick.

JLC-1

f*** the flu, in a 3 person office, the boss and my coworker got hit, now I'm all alone and feeling lonely.

Jan 29, 18 2:06 pm
Tinbeary There there

Be thankful you don't have the flu?

JLC-1

Oh yeah!

In the words of Goldberg - You're next.

JLC-1

so far so good, it's been a quiet week

RickB-Astoria

Has anyone received a message like this:

Hi Sir/Madam

My name is Tony Richard,I am hearing impaired that is the reason why contact you through via Email,I will like to have a Design for Six Bed Rooms Single Story All Suit with Two Living Rooms, foyal. master suite, playroom, kitchen, kitchenette, laundry room, and 3 car Garage and will like access the Living from the Garage also have link with the Master Bed room ,If there is anything that can suite my taste which i am yet to included . Please Advice,Hope you accept credit Card as mode of payment for the Drawing , plan and Designs ,and i will appreciate if you can get back to me with the following details Estimate of Yours
Mr Tony

While I was searching for the term "foyal" which seemed odd to me but hey.... why not check. 

I found a couple results: 

https://www.architekwiki.com/w...

and also here:

https://www.dexknows.com/busin...

Is this a legitimate prospective client or some odd ball screwloose?

Jan 29, 18 2:14 pm

the retainer check usually weeds out (some) of the screwloose

JLC-1

what would be your estimated fee?

StephenW

Oh Richard... As much as I'd kind of like you to follow this down the rabbit hole, my conscious gets the better of me.

This, for architects, is the equivalent of the Nigerian Prince scheme.  This exact same one, plus some variations, get caught by my spam filter one a near-daily basis.  Besides the plethora of hearing impaired residential clients, there are a whole lot of soldiers stationed in Ghana with no phone access, and people studying at sea, and on scientific research stations in the Arctic, who all want to build 6-bedroom homes near me.

The deal is that the "client" has excuses for only being able to deal by email.  And if you agree to do anything for them they will instantly love it.  They will want to pay by check or credit card, for an amount more than what they actually owe you, for all sorts of reasons...   They might also want to help you out by hooking you up with some credit card processing equipment and services, at a discount because their brother is in that business...

I could tell you what I would do but...

StephenW

Some others, so you won't have to ask each time:

You've been awarded a big project in China...

We're moving to your location from London and we want to do some renovation on our house before we get there...

We want to do an American-style chain restaurant in Sweden and need your unique cultural take on the design...

Big clue (besides anything having to do with credit cards or certified checks mentioned in the initial contact): if the supposed name of the client has a last name that is more commonly an English first name, it's generally a scam - i.e. "I'm Mr. Robert Bill", "I'm Miss Jeanie Wendy"...

RickB-Astoria

Thanks. It was the first kind of "scam" that I received like this. I seen the Nigerian scams and the 1001+ flavors of it over the years. I had a gut feeling it is some kind of scam. I was just getting a second opinion. Thank you StephenW. 

I was suspicious. I didn't rule out the last name sounding like a first name but it raised suspicion. I did not divulge any information regarding credit or debit card information. What through me off from sounding like the typical Nigerian scam where it would ask me to divulge bank or credit card information. The weird thing is they would have to divulge that information to me which I said outright that I accept payments from payment cards via Paypal and other similar services. I don't want clients sending me their credit card or debit card information over phone or email due to strict Payment Card Industry standards and legal regulations that is involved which would not be adequately or sufficiently met using email or phone. 

I did not send a quote because I would ask additional information about the project, specific scope of work, project location, etc. before I would give out an estimate. I would also use a Billed Hourly Rate deal solely for the following reason: "...,If there is anything that can suite my taste which i am yet to included " in the above quote. 

This reads to me that the scope is not fully defined and it would be against my good judgment to use a fixed flat fee because if this was a legitimate client with such open ended scope, they could end up wasting my time. I responded with a level of caution.

Again, thanks for confirming this was b.s. that arrived in my email early this morning. It was the first time I seen this one.

StephenW

This scam has nothing to do with giving them info by phone or email. That's irrelevant. How this works is that you agree to do some work, or even just to accept a retainer in order to begin some work, and then the scammer pays you by credit card or certified check. They overpay you - which they either tell you is an accident, or they have some convoluted story about why they're doing that. Either way it leads to them asking for a partial refund. Once you process the refund, they do a charge-back on the card, cancelling the original transaction. So now you're out the refund amount that you sent them. The card is always either opened with fraudulent info, or stolen.

StephenW

The China trip scam is a more elaborate one, usually used on higher profile firms. Some well-known firms have actually been scammed by this: the scammers tell the firm they've been selected for a large project (or they request a proposal from the firm, and of course the firm wins the project). They invite the firm big-shots to China, wine and dine them, take them on a tour of the supposed project site - everything seems on the up-and-up. Eventually the small detail of a $9k legal fee comes up: the firm is told by the owner's "lawyer" that it's a legality that the firm pay this directly, to set up the paperwork to do that project type there, but that the owner will reimburse this. Of course the reimbursement check or credit card payment always turns out to be phony, and the firm is out the fee that they were duped into paying directly to the fake lawyer.

RickB-Astoria

Oh... okay. Thank You for that information. It's good not only me but anyone else that may come into contact with something like this.

JLC-1

I was selling a car in Arizona almost 10 years ago and received an email from somebody in the UK interested in sending me a lot of money for the shipping, some of which I had to give back; I knew it was a scam right away because I was selling a POS minivan nobody wanted even in AZ!!

RickB-Astoria

It's definitely looks to be a scam.

Dear , 

Thank for your reply  ,To ans your Question ,My  Home Address :# 4304 Wisteria Landing Cir Unit 102, Louisville, KY 40218 ,yes i own  lot  to build ,Here is the address Lot # 13313 SW Iron Mountain Blvd,Portland, OR 97219 1.22 acres ,I am estimating approximately  1.22 acres, Yes I want it to be to Single Story,I budgeted $1,500,000.00.I wish to  start by September and spend  12-14 months ,6058 Square Feet Six Bedroom, with 2 living rooms per suite,2 living rooms in total.Foyer, Master suite, playroom, kitchen, kitchenette (small cooking area), laundry room and Garage.  With access to the Living space from Garage (possibly a mudroom entry) Master bedroom can easily be connected to a mudroom as well so as my  bungalow plan would  you put 3-4 Bedrooms downstairs, and 2 Bedrooms up.  Is that ok?I need you advice on this I wish to meet you  one on one  to have  around table meeting but  I'm presently out of state on a medical trip in India, but in the mean time i would like to make an initial deposit with my credit card to let you know that I'm serious about this project.Any Document you need from is  going to provide  to by my Quantity Survey Agent,I will be looking forward to have the total estimates of your cost and also let me know the major credit card that you accept for payment as soon as possible. till i hear from you remain bless and have a nice day,While wait to hear from you.
Sincerely 

Tony

LOL !!!!   Funny thing is the land is owned by TTM Capital Funding LLC (per Multnomah County tax assessor's map gis). Then there is already existing permit on file under review since Oct. 31, 2017 for a two story SFR, attached 4 car garage and all. This person really needs to show some real proof. 

RickB-Astoria

It doesn't look right to me.

I already indicated I accept payment process via Paypal. 

StephenW

Again: this absolutely is a scam. Do NOT accept any payment via PayPal. Yes, there are some protections via PayPal - but not for any "refunds" that you process. Also when the scammer's card turns out to be bogus, your PayPal account may be frozen indefinitely or closed, regardless of the fact that you're the scam victim. There's no need to waste your time researching the property, etc. - this is a known scam.

You should just stop communicating with them at all.  The more back-and-forth you engage in, the more your worth increases on the dummy lists that they sell back and forth, thus increasing the number of scam attempts sent to you in future.

StephenW

If you already gave him your PayPal info, they may send payment even though you didn't request it. If that happens, just follow PayPal fraud procedure (which unfortunately may still result in freezing or closing of your account). Do NOT process any refunds!

kjdt

You can only do so much to warn someone. You can have a clear conscience knowing you tried.

RickB-Astoria

I have not given the person Paypal information. I'll monitor the account, anyway. I'm not processing any refund as there is no service agreement made from which a refund would be due. 

Positive Pete

​i'm thinking I'll have to freebase red bull tonight to get all this work out... (placed here on purposes)

JLC-1

Now I need an internal pipe wrench kit

Jan 29, 18 3:27 pm
Tinbeary There there

Notice relying now gets the thread to the top of the page...

Jan 30, 18 9:59 am

It does? This is a test....

Whoa, look at that!

randomised

Damn, can't have the last word unnoticed any more...

randomised

That's a rather swift implementation, it was being discussed here just a few days ago :)

tduds

Does it work if you reply to comments farther back in the thread?

Jan 30, 18 12:49 pm
tduds

It would appear that, yes, but it's hard to find the reply.

randomised

Yes it does, I just replied on the first page.

Wasn't the reply inline and noting it as the last comment in a thread an issue when it was first rolled out? Has Archinect corrected the issue yet? It doesn't appear that they have. If I reply to a comment further up the page, or even a different page, it will show there is a new comment, but if I click to go to the last comment, it takes me to the end of the thread and I'm left wondering where the new comment is. 

I'd still advocate for the ability to see comments and replies as either 'read' or 'unread' like a lot of other forums have. At least then I'd be able to skim through a thread quickly and see what I haven't seen before.

At the very least, and it's only a bandaid fix, it would be nice to be able to click the "latest comment" link from the main forum page and have it hyperlink to the actual latest comment, not the end of the thread.

Jan 30, 18 1:30 pm
Non Sequitur

I just replied to a comment and eventhough it was not the latest, it shows that I'm the last comment. Times are changing!

Positive Pete

Most excellent and i can't even blame canada

This page from TC (and some comments on subsequent pages) is a good trip down memory lane regarding the reply feature and showing it as the latest comment on the main forum page. I'm happy to see that Archinect is adapting and changing per user requests, but if you're going to turn something back on, you should fix the issues that were first associated with it. 

Jan 30, 18 2:34 pm
mantaray
Wow! Guys, I effected change! I am a CHANGE AGENT!! Huzzah!
Jan 30, 18 2:34 pm

Do you have change for a $20?

citizen

Don't be afraid to sex it up a little, Agent Provocateur.

Tinbeary There there

Found out we have two estranged twin sisters for clients as they ran into each other at our office. Awkward.

Jan 31, 18 2:18 am
JLC-1

picture or it didn't happen!

Tinbeary There there

Ha ha. Can I just snap a pic of you guys for my internet friends?

citizen

Was one all sweet and dressed in white, the other mean and in all black? That would sure make things more convenient. =o]

Tinbeary There there

Can I sell this storyline to hollywood?

kjdt

Remake of the Parent Trap, with grown up strung out Lindsay Lohan, and a cameo by Haley Mills?

Tinbeary There there

One will have to be played by Janeane Garafalo though.

Tinbeary There there

The other will be played by Sarah Silverman.

I'd watch the hell out of this movie IF the architect office plays large in the storyline.

citizen

Well if they're identical twins, then just one actor's needed. I say Joan Cusack, who could do both nicely. (Picturing a design presentation to client Sweet Joan in the glass-walled conference room as Bad Joan walks by to another part of the office. Double-take! Whaaaa? What is she doing here?!)

Something something something... Pierce Brosnan shows up.  The End.  Three Golden Globe nominations, but no wins.

Period piece. Edward Norton plays the architect, Tilda Swinton plays the estranged sisters (she played competing twin sister gossip columnists in Hail, Caesar!).

citizen

^ Thora and Thessaly Thacker! Can she do nice, though?

Bench

Just a thought / recommendation - if reply-comments are going to bump a thread back to the top, thats fine and all. But we could really use the little time-stamp on the replies together with that, to actually find what was said...

Feb 1, 18 9:14 am
JLC-1

only an engineering firm can put an ad calling for "revit designers"

Feb 2, 18 11:53 am
randomised

Maybe they really are looking for designers who design revits for a living, no?

JLC-1

oh, rivets! you're absolutely right.

I bet a conversation with a rivet designer would be riveting.

Positive Pete

Boo hiss...ok good one

I just did what any good architect would do on a Sunday - buy $200 worth of Lego Architecture sets.

Feb 4, 18 2:15 pm
Positive Pete

Have 2 meetings for prospective jobs. Suoer bowl sunday not a biggie. .....what did you get Josh?

just 200?

Positive Pete

Did you get raw blocks or kits?

Non Sequitur

Which ones? I bought the Chicago skyline recently and it’s one of the best I’ve seen so far.

Just $200 this time - There has been some more recent Lego binges as well. This time around it was Buckingham Palace and the Shanghai, New York, and Sydney skylines. Chicago always has the best skyline anyway (and that one was a damn good kit).

Non Sequitur

Josh, I purchased both the Empire State and Willis Towers at the gift shops at the top of each building. The premium I paid for both sets just paid for itself in writing this sentence.

foosball is the devil

Feb 4, 18 5:41 pm
Non Sequitur

‘Murcia.

You're welcome

Schoon

Philly is complete madness right now!  I walked through Broad street to check out the chaos and when I got home all of the traffic barricades were smashed.  Congrats to the Eagles, but hopefully most of the destruction is limited to street signs and roadblocks. 

Feb 5, 18 1:53 am
Positive Pete

Philly fans arent the brightest. The city will burn.

Positive Pete

found 3 super bowl commercials low grade crap that is getting worse and i blame Apple for this non-sense.

1. Mass mutual - humans helping humans, stand by you song,  and of course its a finance company, duh.

2. Dodge ram - MLK speach means buy a dodge ram.  Totally see the connection there.

3. Hyundai surprise - checking in at super bowl, you have hyundai keys, they make you step this way, you think you are in trouble and then watch a video about someone struggling with cla condition, then thay person pops out and you are good person for purchasing a hyundai.

Pure garbage, all three.  Products are not life styles,thanks Apple for making "capitalism" be "ethical".  

To a lesser degree budweiser advertised the water they did for hurricane victims and stella its money towards water relief etc...

Go buy something, you will feel better about yourself.

Feb 5, 18 7:58 am
Non Sequitur

agree... and that MLK truck thing left a worst taste in my mouth than a warm bud light. Hard to have a worst taste than that.

JLC-1

We kept thinking they were all Tide commercials

Non Sequitur

Would MLK take the tide pod challenge?

JLC-1

That Hyundai crap was really horrible

Positive Pete

Tide did well.

Football is the quintessential American sport, a perfect metaphor for capitalism.

The same territory is fought over back and forth repeatedly for massive corporate profit and the players are discarded without insurance the second they are injured. 

The whole thing is just a vehicle for delivering advertising for crap nobody wants. You couldn't couldn't pay me to watch this shit. 

Feb 5, 18 9:25 am
Bench

Im more concerned about the food.

Non Sequitur

Miles, if you don't watch, the terrorists win.

citizen

But if you do watch, the capitalists win. Quite the quandary.

Volunteer

I thought the Dodge truck ad with the Vikings was an absolute hoot. The one with MLK was tasteless. Must be different ad agencies?

Feb 5, 18 10:06 am
Positive Pete

Had to be. Vikings was hilariois

proto

or how about the Jeep ad that mocked the self-indulgent faux-philosophical advertising and just showed their vehicle crawling some gnarly terrain ? (Jeep & Ram are owned by the same group)

I didn't watch the super bowl. But I'm very happy for my former hometown that the Eagles won. Seeing lots of crazy pics on Facebook from former co-workers and friends. I *do* hope they don't burn it all down, though! 

Feb 5, 18 12:49 pm
randomised

Super what?

Feb 5, 18 12:51 pm
Non Sequitur

CFL > NFL

Gauntlet tossed.

Feb 5, 18 4:13 pm

All depends if you're Roughriders or Rough Riders fan...

Non Sequitur

I do remember attending several rough rider games as a kid... and now I cheer for their reincarnation, aka, the Red-Blacks!

What the hell is a Red-Black?

Non Sequitur

I stopped asking, but it drinks beer from a shoe.

sounds like a wahoo...

Bench

It involves a lot of plaid. Guess what colors.

orange, blue, and paisley?

Positive Pete

NO. (To non) CFL is minor league NFL

Non Sequitur

Pete / Chris... if we could tailgate up here like we do in Buffalo, then it would be even better.

Positive Pete

When its a wee bit warmer

I stepped waaaaay outside my comfort zone today and asked a potential donor face to face to give money to the non-profit, People for Urban Progress, on whose board I sit. It was scary and hard and totally successful - our initiative is now funded.

I spent about half an hour basking in being proud of myself when a client (of a sort) had a temper tantrum and ruined my entire day, leading to a fight with my husband and me running out of wine.

Ah, well. Tomorrow will be different. Maybe not better, but different! Onward.

Feb 7, 18 12:21 am
RickB-Astoria

Awesome!

Positive Pete

A wise man once told - the reason we are not divorced is we agreed if it ever came to that point in our marriage we would drink all 150 bottles of wine and then decide. After about 3,things always work out - the guy is still married.

Clients fuck up everything.

Non Sequitur

So,the moral is: always have at minimum 3 bottles of wine in the house at all times.

RickB-Astoria

NOTE: I said Awesome to the part about the success in asking the donor to give money to the non-profit and the success in getting the initiative funded. Congrats on that.

I got you, Rick, thanks! Non, I have plenty of white but finished off my last red, and I don't like to mix. So I just stopped.

If Tequila can't fix it is truly broken.

Positive Pete

Tequila breaks shit....yes moral id at leas 3 but 150 is better on wine bottles

RickB-Astoria

:)

Non Sequitur

Jawknee Music is my new favorite crazy poster. 

Feb 7, 18 1:13 pm

I saw that thread and immediately did a 180. Damn.

Non Sequitur

Ah, come on, join in. The water is just fine.

JLC-1

crazy is a kind word

JLC-1

he's posting drawings!!

wurdan freo

I had to find where he was posting... just read some of the thread... brilliant...

Non Sequitur

I decided to humour Jawknee and posted a dirty ink/graphite phone doodle. Not sure if that was wise or not but hopefully it generates some humour for the afternoon.

pdfs and I have never had a consistent relationship

Feb 7, 18 8:37 pm
JLC-1

They're t

JLC-1

They're short tempered for sure

archinine
This jawknee is incredible. Thanks for the tip off. I couldn't tell if it was a bot at first, but then the pictures. I needed a good laugh.
Feb 7, 18 8:56 pm
Non Sequitur

You're welcome. 8-)

JLC-1

https://archinect.com/news/art...

oh, how we make the world go round without even notice.....

this article got me thinking we should (not me, I'm not good at chasing invoices) establish a compensation scale for the sale of a project - same as actors and singers keep receiving royalties after years of their productions, what if the architects received a commission for the sales and re-sales of these developments? 

Feb 8, 18 2:43 pm
JLC-1

Hey Alexander, don't know why you deleted my comment on your augmented reality article, Morpholio still sounds like Cornholio

Feb 8, 18 6:58 pm
ptalley

Is anyone going to the AIA conference this year?  A non architecture non profit i volunteer for is offering a hotel and airfare that weekend as a raffle prize.  if anyone is interested in the goals or information and wants to buy one i can send you a link.  The hotel is in time square and if your international you recieve 500 toward airfare.  Let me know.  Also Idk if this is a good place to post this but its a good cause!

Cheers!

Feb 9, 18 2:16 pm
Non Sequitur

sounds like a scam.

ptalley

I swear its not. Its mens gay and sober organization. the reason they are giving away the flight and hotel is for people to make it to NYC. You dont have to be gay or sober or male to get a ticket or go. Pride is also that weekend so theres a bit of an overlap. Its very solid!!! i swear i can give u the link if your interested! 

ptalley

And you get extra days! the hotel room is 20-25 and the conference is 21-23. PLUS you get to march with us in pride as an ally of the mens gay and sober community! if you want.

Non Sequitur

Ah, no beer? no sale.

ptalley

This is for the room and the flight! drink all the beer u want! we wont drink and wont judge you for it! Hell I'll buy you a case of whatever (under 20 bucks) if you win! really make your NYC experience one for the books. Ill even keep you from drunkenly staggering onto the subway tracks!

I love this sentence: "You don't have to be gay or sober or male to get a ticket or go" I already have my hotel room booked for the conference but if anyone is planning to go you need to jump on it quickly...

RickB-Astoria

How about they say, the conference is open to all AIA members regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, or nationality. Simple and says it like it is.

ptalley

You all have great suggestions! And if you would like to buy a raffle ticket I would much appreciate it. Just think, room and airfare AND you can march with us in NYC GAY PRIDE in front hundreds of thousands of people! AND you get to do all the AIA architecture conference stuff you want! https://gayandsober.rallyup.com/gsm2018/LZNKL7 follow this link and Phil T will be credited with the member contribution!

archanonymous

Does anyone work at a firm that has a strict policy against accepting trips to see vendors product? 

I got an invite from a pseudo-governmental european trade organization inviting me to come tour their travertine quarries, 1st class, 5 star hotels, all expenses paid 2 week trip. Didn't seem like a big deal either as it was not with one specific vendor, and they weren't even really directly selling anything. It was extremely painful to have to turn them down.

Feb 9, 18 2:51 pm
RickB-Astoria

No me other than what I decide. I have yet to decide to take a trip to see vendor products. 

I'm not talking about just stopping at a Home Depot or a Department Store to buy something but that's not what we are talking about.

Mr_Wiggin

Little bro got his M.Arch last spring, still looking for work in the PNW, but with student loan debt and living costs all the offers he's had might as well be unpaid internships for the wages they've been offering.  I started out pretty low on the pay scale, but these offers they've extended have been borderline unreasonable.  Is there rally a shortage of qualified applicants like I've heard, or is it people with a Masters in ARCHITECTURE would rather work at Domino's than work for less in a field that has (what it seems) unreasonably high entry requirements?  Rant, but this has been what I've been hearing from his search for months now, beggars can't be choosers, but...

Feb 9, 18 6:44 pm
archanonymous

It's painful starting out. Seems like every firm around is here is complaining about a shortage of qualified applicants, yet I have students graduating who can't get interviews, and it's not for lack of a good portfolio. Of course once you have 6-10 years experience, you are beating the recruiters away with a stick. How short-sighted must firms be to not be able/ willing to connect one with the other? Hire young people. Mentor and develop them and give them reasons to stay at your firm. Bam, instant supply of skilled experienced designers.

Architecture school is essentially a hazing program that one must survive in order to enter the profession as a know-nothing slave laborer. I can't think of any other profession in which the required education does so little to prepare one for the job.

RickB-Astoria

No point to candy coat it.... those offers are FUCKED !!!!

Seriously, I don't care whether you got a degree or not, this is a profession that is basically a learned profession. You can't live on that kind of sh!t wage. Even if you are doing this through an experienced based path to licensure, the prevailing wage or salaries need to be respectable. Hell, even if you don't pursue licensing and want to work on houses, you deserve a good meaningful wage or salary starting off and get better with years of experience so you can actually support a family with ONE job without having to work overtime ALL the time.

RickB-Astoria

Hell, typically with a Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent degree or experience would be getting starting out $45K to $55K and easily goes up to over $100K in just 10 to 15 years for positions outside Silicon Valley area where the prices are normative and not inflated. What the f--- is wrong with the architecture firms? 

RickB-Astoria

Can we commit to fixing these problems.... NOW... TODAY. Not putting it off, day after day.... week after week.

geezertect

is it people with a Masters in ARCHITECTURE would rather work at Domino's than work for less in a field that has (what it seems) unreasonably high entry requirements?

If they are withholding their labor after getting their masters, they got their timing wrong.  Should have done their homework about the profession before school.  A little late now.

I wish we had adult snow days. The commute yesterday was not fun.

Feb 10, 18 6:20 pm
Positive Pete

You may have one as per me.

Non Sequitur

I saw this in front of a building near my office 2 days ago.  I don't know who is building giant penises on roof edges, but it's best to be vigilant about the danger they pose for snow accumulation.

Feb 15, 18 2:13 pm

Hmmm. I generally see penises everywhere but I don't see a penis in this sign. I see sliding gooey glop - like oobleck.

Tinbeary There there

That's a crazy looking penis. Hmmm, I see the number one before I see a building edge.

It's good to know that we have some penis experts here.

I see "death" reaching out a gloved hand.

You guys: I hate asking people for money, but I did it again today and got a $2K commitment. I'm starting to feel like I'm good at this! All in the name of good design. I guess it's different when one isn't asking as a for-profit entity but as a non-profit. 

Feb 16, 18 10:27 am

There are some tricks to this trade. Get a bunch of potential donors in one room. When one makes a commitment the others are embarrassed not to. This can be arranged beforehand ...

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: