Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

wurdan freo

I've been introducing myself as a recovering architect lately... no one gets the joke... (sigh) oh well... 

Apr 10, 19 5:36 pm
citizen

We all get it here, of course.

randomised

...just fell off the drawing board.

Non Sequitur

I dug our a roll of canary-yellow trace last night. Had a craving, could not help myself.

citizen

mmmmmm... love that yellow. Anything sketched on it is just... better somehow.

JLC-1

could I use this card in the US without being harassed by the AIA/NCARB polizei? https://archinect.com/news/article/150131325/dash-marshall-s-global-architect-card-is-an-essential-item-for-the-world-traveling-architect

Apr 10, 19 5:40 pm
SneakyPete

As long as you're not using it to provide services, then I wouldn't worry about it.

axonapoplectic

I’ve decided my drag name should be “bitch-Uthene 3000”.

Apr 12, 19 12:45 pm
citizen

Three snaps in a state of (wr) grace, Uthene!

JLC-1

liberty bell

I am seriously feeling like I am at a breaking point this week. Last week was one of the worst weeks of my professional life (and heaven knows we’ve all had shitty weeks in this profession). This week I’m facing fallout from everything bad that happened last week, plus I have a meeting today with people who I’m going to have to restrain myself from strangling if they start their doublespeak self-serving vampire consultant talk that I’ve been hearing from them for the last six months.

This is one of the big problems with architecture: when it’s really busy we are all excited to be working but so overwhelmed that it’s hard to work *well*. I feel like I’m failing all of my clients, but I also know that in this market it’s impossible to build something for $150 a square foot! So they get mad at me when I tell them the truth, then accuse me of not telling them the truth when I’ve been saying it all along. This profession is so hard sometimes.

Apr 15, 19 6:51 am

So sorry to hear that. Shitty behavior is not confined to Paradise, it is endemic to society. This is especially difficult for ethical people who care about what they do. Fire the clients if you have to, the damage to you isn't worth it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Non Sequitur

I think your first problem was working with vampires. Hopefully they turn not to be the weak teenage angst and sprinkles-filled type. Those are boring. Now, this kind would make far more interesting meetings as long as he does not bring along his friend Tom:

Brad Pitt in Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)

archi_dude

This is a respond to Liberty bell but kind of a new topic as well. Liberty, the key thing you said was that you are frustrated because you want to do your job “well” which means you actually care, which is rare. Just keep fighting the good fight and it will be noticed. Was feeling the same tho last week and almost had a breakdown, what I found interesting was that since I care and do a good job I found myself taken off of a job I had set up well and was in a position to just cruise for a bit and put on a job that another employee was just sliding on and it was all messed up. He was put on mine and gets to keep cruising but on my labor. I’m buried again finding mistakes everywhere to the point I cancelled my day off today. Seen this happen with lots of the B rated employees, they slide so they get less/easier work, since I’m a producer I get more, is the answer actually to be a shitty employee? 

Apr 15, 19 9:45 am

Ugh, archi-dude, that reminds me so much of what one of my best professors and mentors told me: Don't get good at what you don't like doing because inevitably you'll end up doing more of it. I have lots more to say on this topic but pressed for time....

geezertect

Yup, been there. You just end up being Executive Vice President of Cleaning up Other People's Shit. It can, I suppose, make you a little more indispensable but it's a shitty way to run an office.

SneakyPete

A colleague once related a story to me about his first job. A senior staffer pulled him aside and told him that "If you don't want to spend your career being a CAD operator, you need to really FUCK IT UP. I don't mean do a bad job or make a mistake; you really need to FUCK SHIT UP."

Non Sequitur

EXPLODE ALL THE HATCHES!

atelier nobody

It took me over 20 years to finally find a firm that doesn't run like that. My favorite was always when they only gave me about a week to try unfucking the project before it went out to bid, then I got to do the CA on the only-partially-unfucked project. Good times.

geezertect

And we wonder why this profession is weak and undercompensated.

This was one of the underlying reasons for my blog post, "Want to be an Architect?; Don't Learn Revit" ... https://archinect.com/arch-ellipsis/want-to-be-an-architect-don-t-learn-revit ... though I didn't really focus on it. At the time, I could quickly see myself as getting really good at Revit and constantly being the one to clean up other's mistakes. Now I never use Revit, and I'm really good at other things ... but I still need to clean up others' mistakes there. So yeah, don't be good at anything is the lesson to learn from this.

tintt

I figured out how to suck at stuff when I had to answer the phone. Drop a few important calls and you don't have to do it anymore.

jla-x

was invited to a bbq yesterday at a landscape project that I designed in a very expensive neighborhood...turned into people wanting non stop free advice while I’m trying to shovel free food down my throat...

Apr 15, 19 11:47 am
archanonymous

is it one of those "you pat my back, i'll shove a hot-dog down your throat" kind of scenarios?

jla-x

Yup. Keep feeding me and I’ll keep talking...like a trained seal...

atelier nobody

An important debate critical to the future of architectural practice...

I WILL FIGHT YOU!

Apr 15, 19 3:13 pm
gibbost

I'll second that.

jla-x

I’ll third that.

Non Sequitur

fourth and fifth that

atelier nobody

Another absolutely critical issue...

Apr 15, 19 3:38 pm
curtkram

I've never seen a different flair pen tip

Sharpie rules. Let 'em know your mean business. 

Non Sequitur

No fountain pen? weak study.

tduds

Fountain pens are biased against lefties. I despise them.

Non Sequitur

^just write with your right hand. Problem solved.

atelier nobody

Fountain pen in my pocket at all times, but I've never gotten the knack of sketching with it.

I suppose I could also do a comparison between traditional tech. pens (love 'em, but disposables are convenient), Copic SP (seemed like a good idea, but not thrilled). Microns (used 'em for years, but quality is slipping badly), and other disposable fineliners (haven't found one to replace Microns yet).

liberty bell

Well, for better or worse, it happened: I hit my breaking point. Got up and walked out of a meeting today where I was being lied to, right to my face,  by someone trying to make themselves look better. The nice thing about hitting my age is I don’t need to put up with bullshit anymore. So maybe I’ll lose my job, but I’ll figure out something else. 

I won’t be used as a pinball between other parties that won’t speak honestly to one another.

Apr 15, 19 4:41 pm
archanonymous

good for you! I'm sure given your reputation in your locale that you could walk into any number of architecture, builder, or development firms and have a job same day.

SneakyPete

I can't give you a five high enough.

Rusty!

Don't call yourself 'liberty ball' if you don't want to be used as a bonus pinball piece gah! On a more serious note, I noticed in the last few years that accomplished women in architecture that I admire on a professional level very much, have been getting a total garbage treatment from both contractors and owners. Maybe we hit a peak construction again. There is too much work and not enough qualified parties to take it on. GCs taking on major work have barely any experience with related work. "uhh what's a submittal?" And they have shit attitude to go with it. They will take it out on women (easy target) and even mock them for being wasteful and out of touch for daring to maintain certain procedural requirements. Also, lots of inexperienced owners/developers looking to cut all corners because they don't understand the scope really well. Industry needs a purge. Come on Trumplet, bring on a recession! You can do it in 99 tweets.

midlander

congratulations! it's feels good to stand up for yourself. projects with such toxic relationships rarely are worth participating in.

Zero tolerance policy for bullshit. Next time don't walk out, call them on it then and there. Set an example. The trick is to not lose your cool. Take a deep breath or two, stay calm, and set it straight.

randomised

Congrats for standing up for yourself, but should've called them out before walking out!

joseffischer

I've noticed an uptick in needing to write emails including standards from ASTM as called for in the specs just to get people to do their jobs. I had a Sherwin Williams rep doing some paint adhesion tests just the other day. Paint peeled right off, the whole thing, and he stood their telling the contractor, owner, and myself that it didn't constitute a failure. I sat through his talk, and then asked who's SW rep is he... oh, the painters? ok, when can we get a real rep in here. He and the painter weren't too pleased when I conducted the rest of the meeting like they weren't even in the room.

Bench

Question to the crowd -

Ive received numerous recruiter messages in the past, almost all through LinkedIn, less often via email.

Today I received my first direct physical mail sent to my office, found it on my desk from the office manager. It was subtle, but not subtle enough (clear recruiter branding across the back of the envelope). This seems unbelievably inappropriate - is that just me who thinks this?

I get that there is a market for it, and people are employed for the job of recruiter. But I am very confident that no recruiter can reasonably make a sufficient competing offer to my current position, and the last thing I would want is a boss getting the wrong impression by seeing that.

Im a bit peeved about it to be honest.

Apr 15, 19 6:23 pm
archanonymous

I occasionally get calls on my desk phone. It definitely pisses me off, but not as much as when I ask how much they are offering and they quote me a number below my current salary.

randomised

" This seems unbelievably inappropriate - is that just me who thinks this?"

So, the office manager knows recruiters are after you, use it to your advantage ;-)

Bench

I wont deny that its not a bad thing for the idea to be out there, but certainly not what i'd want to be an overt thing.

thatsthat

I got a call at my desk from a recruiter just a week or so ago. I was extremely terse with him; he said "I can imagine this is a bad time for you to discuss your options." Then why did you call me at work? This is after he had already sent me 2 messages via linkedin and an email. Give it a rest! I work in a specific specialty so of course 99% of the jobs that recruiters contact me about are completely unrelated to what I do, making it doubly frustrating. Do others get this too?

Non Sequitur

I've gotten a few calls to my extension. One time the recruiter called me, then following my terse rejection (and, from what I remember some sort of snarky "does this ever work" comment), the same recruiter called the other arch sitting next to me.

Bloopox

Yeah I get tons of these lately. They're annoying, but in the past they've also been a very reliable harbinger of the state of the economy (the calls stopped roughly 8 months before each of the last two recessions was widely labeled as such.) I really don't think you need to worry about it looking bad to your employer - surely your employer knows how recruiters operate. I can say from experience that the same ones calling you are most likely also trying to recruit your employer.

Bench

Fortunately I dont really think theres any substantial/real risk to me here, I work for a good company. Im more venting at the sheer brashness of a recruiter who would do that. I already have a pretty bad opinion of recruiters generally, so when the messages elevate from spam-at-best to conspicuous or ostentatious, I have to wonder where the line of decency ends.

Bloopox

The average subtlety of recruiters, lacking though it is, seems to me to have actually improved in these last 2 decades, because at least some of them have adopted email and social media. The phone calls at work used to be much worse. I recall in my first jobs in the 90s that the recruiters would all try calling all of us at lunchtime when they thought the regular office managers might be out of the office and it would ring straight to our desks, or hoping they'd get the fill-in phone answering person who wasn't as adept at detecting them before they put them through to us.  While it would be really inappropriate for another firm to call you on your work phone or send postcards blatantly trying to lure you away from your current job, third-party recruiters don't follow the same etiquette rules - they've always operated as if it's just a given that they'll be conspicuous.

tintt

How bad does a firm have to be to rely on recruiters to find employees? The whole practice is terrible. One of the recruiters I hear from was on a reality TV show that I used to watch.... not exactly someone I would want to do "talent seeking". I think the practice should be dropped.

midlander

i once gave a flippant salary requirement to a cold call recruiter which was well above what i made. he followed up and that actually led to a different job with a pretty good raise a few months later. we have kept in touch and he actually knows quite a bit of information about the local market and happenings at the major firms. sometimes it's worth talking to recruiters even if you have no plans to leave. plans change and good recruiters can be a good resource on the market.

Bench

Tintt, I agree. Recruiters have a place for other industries that focus on getting bums in seats, where personality is less important. But architecture requires a more holistic understanding of how the individual will integrate into the firm if either party wants any success, so in that respect I dont think recruiters really have much of a role to play. Ive interviewed at firms where I walked out knowing that even if an offer was coming, it was not somewhere I could join. And I'm certain interviews that I thought went really well never had an offer coming because of similar thoughts on the employers part.

I've wondered sometimes if you could flip the recruiter model and instead of employers hiring recruiters, we (employees) should be hiring agents to go out and find the best fit for us. But then I remember that we don't make squat and who would be able to afford an agent when some can't even afford their student loan payment.

SneakyPete

Recruiters charge 25% of the agreed upon salary as their cut. That's steep considering how little they do. Remind me of Real Estate Agents.

Bench

^ ^ This comes from the employers side though, not the employee's side, if i'm not mistaken? (making it additional cost to the employer, not a cut from the worker's check)

Steeplechase

thatsthat, I am in a similar position as you, working in a specific industry with only a handful of local firms working in it. It’s even worse when they actually discuss the potential job as it is apparent they are just spamming people. My most recent was about how I’m a great fit leading large healthcare projects. I guess because I’ve been to the doctor I’m now highly qualified to design hospitals.

The only difference between this practice and health insurance is that that we are not required by law to pay recruiters to handle all employment issues. But that too will be "fixed" in time.

tintt

I got a solicitation for a heathcare architect position with promises of a large salary and profit-sharing. I do have some experience in healthcare but not much. Makes you wonder what they are doing. I did talk to another recruiter and told her what I was thinking for and she said that's nice but that doesn't exist (part-time).

Rusty!

You guys are overthinking this. Recruiters exist in order to poach people. The best candidate for the position is already happily employed elsewhere and not even looking at job boards. People who are actively looking are second tier just based on risk profile alone. People who are unemployed and looking are like 6th tier.

Steeplechase

Rusty!, I get the idea of poaching but I would think that part of being top tier talent is more realistically understanding one’s experience and expertise.

axonapoplectic

I’m going to start a firm that is maybe a couple architects, a bunch of marketing people, and at least 20 lawyers.

Apr 16, 19 7:09 pm
axonapoplectic

I will make the lawyers do CA.

midlander

maximize overhead as a goal? i was reading somewhere phil knight only hired accountants and lawyers  when he started nike as he felt no one else had quantifiable skills. obviously after a few years they hit their limits with that and got some designers.

Apr 16, 19 11:21 pm
axonapoplectic

the Lawyers would know revit.

Didn't the secretary design the swoosh? Neville Brody made Just Do It.

Happy Weekend TC! I've been getting over an illness and stuck in bed. I found this video series on YouTube a while back but revisited today and thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested. Two guys are building a wooden boat from scratch having never built a boat like it before. Cringe worthy in some aspects, but overall a fascinating look at woodworking, and a different construction process than we might be used to in traditional architecture. They've been at it for ~3 years so there is plenty of content if you're also stuck in bed looking for something to binge watch. 

Acorn to Arabella Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiDWnTP0WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

Intro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLKBS-j-ftw

Apr 20, 19 4:34 pm
AlinaF

No thanks.

Sorry to hear you've been ill. Heal fast -

curtkram

enjoy the time off. Some times I think my best days are when I get to stay home in bed :)

Husband has been ill the last few days and I'm emotionally exhausted anyway so we've spent most of this weekend bingeing the Better Call Saul season we never watched. It's heaven.

My level of stress can be measured using the Pop Tart index: the number of Pop Tarts I consume in a week is relational to my level of  "well-fuck-everything-anyway" anxiety.

We bought a jumbo box this weekend.

Apr 23, 19 10:16 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: