Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]

Damn.

Nov 28, 21 1:42 pm  · 
2  · 

Jinx! I've mostly been lurking on forum lately but TC/y'all is first place/folks I thought of when I saw news just now.

Nov 28, 21 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Tragic news, he's done a lot in such a short time span and become a huge name in the fashion and design industry.

Nov 29, 21 7:21 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm torn on whether to care or not. On the one hand, was a great role model and representation for Black Americans and everyone who has been underrepresented and frozen out of the design industry. On the other, he mostly worked for a brand catering to the 1% creating shit that nobody needs, using resources better allocated elsewhere.

Nov 29, 21 10:06 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

See here's the thing though, I don't care if Black creators make bank, no one shits on athletes who do the same, actors, or musicians. But people want to hold Black architects, and artists to some mythic standard. I think it's bullshit. His representation, and commitment to his people, those acts speak louder than any Gucci, or Louis Vuitton bag.

Nov 29, 21 10:17 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I don't follow professional sports, popular music, or hollywood. I do follow architecture and design, and beyond the achievements in representation, I don't see a lot to celebrate. Blue-chip art that will be bought by the 1% and speaks only to itself? Luxury handbags and clothing that nobody needs? "Design" isn't some vague platitude - it's the creation of real things that take real resources and really impact lives.

Nov 29, 21 10:54 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes, and you're holding a beloved Black creator to account for systems not created by them, to actuate change of those systems. Stop. If one child sees value in his example, and grows to build on that world, and makes the world better, then I don't give af. As an aside, I don't believe one word of what you wrote. Design is so fucking entwined in everything you supposedly don't follow, that your statement is either deception, or a con you've bought into.

Nov 29, 21 11:06 am  · 
2  · 
square.

i think arch's nuance here is appropriate, in terms of evaluating legacy, and one i struggle with when it comes to elite architecture, let alone luxury fashion; imo, all individuals need to be held accountable in some regard in relation to the way they choose to engage with broader systems (some "choices" are inevitable, others are not).

obviously what is not debatable is the tragedy of his early death, and many of the positive qualities abloh brought to design at large (i think the og comment was a bit callous in that regard).

Nov 29, 21 11:09 am  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Sorry to anyone who found my comment callous or offensive. Anytime someone passes the world loses part of what makes it distinct and I'm sure his family and friends are deeply affected. 

I suppose my point was - if we're going to parasocially mourn him, let's do so based on the gains and lives impacted due to advances in representation, not because he was a designer of luxury goods. And even that is somewhat problematic for me. I would be happy if no one else ever aspired to produce vapid blue-chip art or luxury handbags, no matter what color their skin is.

Nov 29, 21 2:02 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Even though his designs stood for lots that I despise in the shallow world of art and design (I do believe his work was often a cheeky commentary on it by embracing the shallowness wholeheartedly) yet his achievements and impact on pop culture can’t be denied...what he did for fashion Andy Warhol did for the arts. A tragic loss for the (creative) community at large, and as a parent of two young kids myself can’t help but think of his family...Damn indeed.

Nov 29, 21 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The man set up a $1 million dollar scholarship for future Black designers. I'm sure he's given back, where most don't.

Nov 29, 21 3:17 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

For anyone interested in the business end of things and how we can set up businesses for triple bottom line success, this week's BS + Beer Show will be a good one--two consultants who are unusually well qualified to discuss the topic, and two business owners at a somewhat famous design/build firm. https://mailchi.mp/4b71c59c2e7...

Nov 29, 21 10:15 am  · 
 · 

So yeah, here’s a progress update. 

Nov 30, 21 12:53 am  · 
14  · 
SneakyPete

Wow! You look like you feel fantastic!

Nov 30, 21 9:45 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

sploosh danger zone.

joking aside, good job.

Nov 30, 21 9:50 am  · 
1  · 

Someone slid into my DMs with a similar message, NS.

Nov 30, 21 10:06 am  · 
2  · 

You are literally half the man you used to be. Congrats.

Nov 30, 21 11:01 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, was not me. I prefer to make my comments public. Wider audience for the splash zone.

Nov 30, 21 11:12 am  · 
1  · 
proto

Josh, congrats on the hard work paying off for you

Nov 30, 21 11:30 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Did you bleach your hair also?

Nov 30, 21 11:34 am  · 
1  · 

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Josh! Looking good!

Nov 30, 21 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 

Anon, no. That’s just the lighting - same hair color you know and love.

Nov 30, 21 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Great job on losing the weight, and maintaining the loss. Any tips?

Nov 30, 21 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Way to go, Josh! Look at you, rockin' those horizontal stripes without a care in the world. Well done.

Nov 30, 21 8:03 pm  · 
3  · 
Volunteer

Time to celebrate with a beer and pizza party!

Dec 1, 21 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

I just found this piece of paper on my basement floor.

Recognize it?

Nov 30, 21 8:01 am  · 
6  · 
Non Sequitur

You need a license to use laundry machines now?

Nov 30, 21 9:49 am  · 
4  · 

I'm skilled at laundry.

Nov 30, 21 11:53 am  · 
 · 

That should make passing the test a breeze.

Nov 30, 21 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Is that some kind of official laundry sink?

Nov 30, 21 8:00 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

And yes, Non, those are some badass washers and dryers nowadays.

Nov 30, 21 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

“Is that some kind of official laundry, Sink?” Nope, just a regular residential one.

Nov 30, 21 10:16 pm  · 
4  · 

Have you guys ever heard of a “stay bonus”? It’s a commitment to stay in a job for a given period and get a bonus for it? I guess firms are pretty hungry to retain people right now!

Dec 2, 21 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

No, and if they offered me one I'd say, "I'll take a smaller bonus (because you offered one) and a pay raise to incentivize me to stay instead. I'm an at-will employee and won't be committing to anything."

Dec 2, 21 3:52 pm  · 
1  · 
gibbost

I've heard the term. It is generally associated with high-level, senior team members that might be looking to bail--especially when there may be monumental shifts occurring within the organization--like buyouts, mergers, leadership changes, or closing the doors. Never seen or heard it applied within our industry. On a related noted, I've collected two 'referral' bonuses this year for bringing on new staff. You are correct, firms are doing everything in their power to keep quality talent around.

Dec 2, 21 3:54 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

I've always just called it a "raise"

Dec 2, 21 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

How do these bonuses work usually? Do they give you the bonus now and then you commit to stay for a given period, or do they commit to giving you a bonus at a certain date if you are still around? Do you have to sign anything showing agreement with the arrangement?

Dec 2, 21 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The past year has turned me into such a building code dork. I just wrapped up the G-Section of a small permit set (at 4:30 on a Friday, perfect) and I'm actually proud of how well assembled it turned out.

Only like 10 people will ever see it but that's enough. It's nice to feel good at my job.

Dec 3, 21 7:52 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: