Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

So yeah, highly recommend Acadia NP for your next nature outing/vacation.

Sep 27, 21 2:02 pm  · 
6  · 

Never been there. I take it you had a good time. ;)

Got any pics!?

Sep 27, 21 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Nice photos! Glad you enjoyed it.

Sep 27, 21 5:56 pm  · 
1  · 

Here's my smiling face about 1000' up a summit hike.

Sep 27, 21 6:01 pm  · 
8  · 

Damn cool Josh. Also - looking damn good man!

Sep 28, 21 3:02 pm  · 
3  · 

Somehow I got on an email list that was sold to a bunch of head hunters and recruiters. The only thing is, it wasn't a list of potential candidates ... it was a list of potential employers. They think I run the company or do the hiring. 

I'm used to getting random emails from head hunters saying, "I saw your LinkedIn and I think you'd be a good fit for this position ... yada yada yada." This is the first time they are emailing me saying, "I've got a bunch of resumes here that might be a good fit for your company." And it's happening a lot these past weeks so something changed recently.

I'm also getting spam from the CEO Club, so there's that too. Can I thank AIA for selling my data?

Sep 28, 21 2:47 pm  · 
2  · 

I HATE that.

Sep 28, 21 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

wouldn't mind actually seeing that

Sep 28, 21 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

I keep getting the 'we've looked at your experience and think you'd be a great fit for this local firm' I'm then shown a bunch of jobs for people in the 4-6 year or 25+ year experience range.  In Nebraska.  

I'm in Colorado. 

Sep 30, 21 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Seeing the email or seeing the resumes? Here's the email ...

Hi [Everyday Architect],

I am reaching out because I placed a Project Manager at a client this morning and during my search I interviewed a few highly qualified individuals that are starting to look for a new opportunity. Each one of these candidates has a proven track record and are just now entering the market for a new home.

That being said [EA], would you or someone else at [Firm Name] be interested in taking a look at one of these resumes? Keep in mind, my service is 100% free until you hire one of my candidates.

Please let me know if you would like to review a resume of one of these candidates.

Thank you,
[Name]
Principal Recruiter

Sep 30, 21 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Dang.  We're busy at our office. 

We're going to get a lot more busy when two local bonds pass and we're awarded a couple of big projects.  We need 2-3 more more people in that elusive 4-6 year experience range.  

I'm glad we have so much work but dang. 

Sep 28, 21 3:07 pm  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

that is definitely not our "elusive" range... 10-15 seems the tough spot for us

Sep 28, 21 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

I've got 15ish years experience so I guess I'm 'elusive'. :)

Sep 28, 21 3:47 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Anyone else not seeing the comments on articles? Is it broken?

Sep 30, 21 11:41 am  · 
1  · 

Same for me. Not all articles, and not all comments, but yes there appear to be some that are not showing.

Sep 30, 21 12:06 pm  · 
2  · 

On the subway article that's probably me. Some jackass said he wouldn't miss the subway and I let him have it.

Sep 30, 21 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

lol, I almost made a joke about it being Miles' comments that were being removed but decided against it.

Sep 30, 21 5:07 pm  · 
3  · 

Miles, did you also make comments on the AECOM & NASA and the Obama Presidential Center articles?

Sep 30, 21 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Nope. Plenty to say about BO but I held my tongue.

Sep 30, 21 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, something weird is going on with News comments. I just had to block a spammer, and the BO Library thread supposedly has 3 comments but I don't see any, AND I have randomized set to ignore but I'm seeing their posts. Some wires crossed somewhere!

Oct 2, 21 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

How's your day going?

Oct 1, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

not at the met so far

Oct 1, 21 5:39 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Well, it got worse, two hours later.

Oct 1, 21 10:44 pm  · 
2  · 
polyhedraldesign

yall I miss architecture. how do I go back?

Oct 1, 21 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Am I doing this right?

Oct 2, 21 11:08 am  · 
6  · 

I'm guessing Kanye wasn't available?

Oct 2, 21 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

He's doing community outreach for the program.

Oct 2, 21 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Damn, today was a good day.

Oct 2, 21 10:37 pm  · 
3  · 
joseffischer

That tower just looks off to me, like not enough. Makes me think the GC poured foundations, ordered the bridge short, and convinced the arch to go through a VE exercise from hell to get the building to slowly lean enough to reach the short bridge.

Oct 4, 21 8:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That’s exactly why I like that building!

Oct 4, 21 1:21 pm  · 
2  · 

So this is totally TMI but I’m never embarrassed of personal things LOL. I am getting my first ever colonoscopy tomorrow. Which means no food for me today, and I’m being a total whiny baby about it. It sucks.

Oct 6, 21 1:06 pm  · 
1  · 

I’m so hangry.

Oct 6, 21 1:07 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

If you eat you'll have a really shitty colonoscopy.

Oct 6, 21 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

is Bourbon allowed?

Oct 6, 21 2:42 pm  · 
1  · 

Bourbon *should* be allowed because it’s a clear liquid, but the rules include No Alcohol. Sucks.

Oct 6, 21 3:20 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

"If your bourbon is clear... you might not be drinking bourbon"

-Ghandi.

Oct 6, 21 3:21 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Boooo!

Oct 6, 21 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

“Clear” meaning transparent, not opaque.

Oct 6, 21 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Good luck tomorrow, Donna. As inconvenient as it is, it's nice to have it all done for ten years. Fun fact: if you prep properly and completely empty out, anyone standing next to you can hear the ocean! ;O]

Oct 6, 21 4:20 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I hope it went well! I had my first colonscopy a few months ago. Started early (47) due to family history. Everyone complains about the prep but I didn't find it bad at all. Guess I was lucky.

My only request at every step of the way was that my mom has a bad reaction to fentanyl, their typical sedative, and we tend to have similar physiology so I didn't want that one. Everyone said no problem--literally like six different people at different stages. Until they were about to put the gas mask on and told me I was getting fentanyl. I sat up and said I was not comfortable proceeding, even though the surgeon was there and ready to start. I hate the health care system and how they shuffle people through like we don't matter, versus providing a service, which is their actual role. So I had no problems with leaving. They scrambled and with just an hour delay they managed to find an anesthesiologist who could administer a non-fentanyl sedative (I forget the name) and everything proceeded as normal.

The follow-up was that it was good that I went--they had to remove a few polyps--and that although my insurance would cover a screening, because they found polyps it became a procedure which is not covered. So I have a $4,000 bill for the day. Could be worse, but the US medical system is terrible, especially in a state like mine where there are far from enough doctors.

Oct 8, 21 12:15 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Wood Guy, good job sticking to your guns. Passivity is a scourge amongst the majority of great people I know, only the pricks seem to be comfortable having an active point of view.

Oct 8, 21 1:05 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

so looking for growths is covered, but finding them isn't...

Oct 8, 21 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

are you able to post a comment?

Oct 7, 21 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

nevermind.

Oct 7, 21 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Glad you worked it out, Orhan!

Oct 7, 21 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

For the news items on the main page, the comments are all over the place (says 2, but there's only one comment; says 1, but there are none on any that I clicked on). Something afoot deep in the bowels of archinect, maybe?

Oct 8, 21 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

yeah i am still seeing some news items that indicate 1 or more comments, but none are visible

Oct 8, 21 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Got all sets from consultants before 9:30 this morning. Nice start to Friday.

Oct 8, 21 12:01 pm  · 
8  · 
SneakyPete

Go snag a lottery ticket.

Oct 8, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Whoa I would never make a deadline on a Friday. That would have been a Thursday, noon thing. You're tempting fate! Glad it worked out.

Oct 8, 21 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 

It's a small 4,000 SF building and they requested the Friday deadline to give themselves more time - that they apparently didn't need.

Oct 8, 21 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

WOOHOO!

Oct 10, 21 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

PM on my job (PA this time for me) set Friday at 5 for the 50% deadline set. Oct 8 and 11th are the school's fall break days, so I needed everyone on site verifying scope and plans of attack. The existing set we were provided was scant. I tried to help by reminding everyone it was just a 50% and asking them to print sometime around Wednesday, get the sheets uploaded to ACC for use onsite and have a 3PM thurs meeting to go over plan of attack. PM thought it best that everyone reprint on Friday to capture any extra work. TL:DR, she was in office until 8:30 PM collating, catching serious flaws, reprinting herself. I didn't get involved, left the school site around 4ish and went home. I only feel slightly guilty.

Oct 11, 21 10:07 am  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

Is this normal for a firm this size? I don't know, it feels dirty to be owned by a money machine.....https://archinect.com/news/art...

Oct 11, 21 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Depends on which end of the machine you're on. I'm sure the partners are guiltlessly enjoying the big payday they just elected for themselves.

Oct 11, 21 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

of course they are, I just don't understand the greed. my bad. I don't think it depends on which end you are, you are still owned by a corp. whose only purpose is to increase profit. I dunno, I would guess quality and level of service would suffer under bean counters.

Oct 11, 21 2:00 pm  · 
3  · 

Boutique firms sweat out every detail. Corporate firms sweat out every penny.

Oct 11, 21 3:10 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

I didn't realize that Foster and Partners was 1500 people! That's huge!!!! 

For comparison, I think Perkins and Will is owned by the Saudis. Gensler is employee/ Gensler family owned. SOM is owned by the partners.

Oct 11, 21 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not surprised given the trend of the larger firms to end up being bought by conglomerates. Callison RTKL is owned by Arcadis I think. Gensler and SOM are probably the outliers on firms that size.

Oct 11, 21 5:46 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Yeah I was wondering about HOK, IA, HDR, some of the other big ones? I feel like there's also some giant firms in Japan.

Oct 11, 21 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

foster sold shares to PE back before the financial crisis. he is a shrewd businessman. HOK got in trouble decades ago selling a large stake to a construction consortium. callison was owned by a PE group before selling to arcadis. its fairly common in larger firms - at some point they are too big for anyone in the industry to buy, too expensive for associates to buy in, and partners still want their payout.

Oct 11, 21 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

also, foster made his name designing buildings for money machines. why wouldn't he be comfortable working among them?

Oct 11, 21 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

ref for the 2007 sale, which they bought back. presumably helped FP keep going through the financial crisis. the new sale is different - clearly an exit for foster and the most senior partners who are plenty old enough to retire https://www.3i.com/media-centre/corporate-and-portfolio-news/2014/3i-to-make-a-18x-return-on-the-sale-of-its-minority-stake-in-foster-plus-partners/

Oct 11, 21 11:30 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Fuck late stage capitalism. Just die already so we can face reality without the protection of our social media addiction.

Oct 12, 21 12:28 pm  · 
5  · 
JLC-1

This picture got me thinking the invention of cad was a plot to fit 4 heads where only 1 could be before

Oct 13, 21 1:45 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

So CAD is a tube of anal lubricant?

Oct 13, 21 4:40 pm  · 
3  · 

I think the idea of CAD was to replace 4 draftsmen. Not that it worked out that way ... now the idea of CAD is to rent you the ability to work.

Oct 13, 21 7:11 pm  · 
6  · 
Wilma Buttfit

CAD was invented so we could draft to the 256th of an inch.

Oct 14, 21 1:28 am  · 
4  · 
randomised

As with every technological "innovation" CAD was invented to pay fewer and lower salaries and benefits...

Oct 14, 21 8:15 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

I love redrawing manufacturer's standard details into my drawing so the lineweights read better. I. LOVE. IT.

Oct 14, 21 11:45 am  · 
6  · 
Wilma Buttfit

sneakypete, this is one of my favorite things to do as well.

Oct 14, 21 11:56 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I am right now trying to add up 1/16ths of an inch to get correct values for a SITE PLAN. ONE PIECE OF SAND CAN AND WILL DESTROY ALL!!!

Oct 14, 21 11:57 am  · 
5  · 
joseffischer

this entire thread really needs to be moved into the rant post at this point.

Oct 14, 21 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Rant Central

Oct 14, 21 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
proto

not many architecture offices have drafting pools anymore -- the architects are almost all drawing from internship on...so we have that going for us...which is nice

Oct 14, 21 2:27 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Hmmm. I don't know. I think it leads to lots of dissatisfaction amongst young people. Should architects and draftspeople be the same person, or separate people?

Oct 14, 21 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I don't mind doing both... I do mind doing both people's jobs as one person at the price of the draftsman... because "revit efficiencies"

Oct 14, 21 3:07 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

bim =//= less time

...shit, it is >5x the server space of a cad project too

Oct 14, 21 4:07 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

the cost of a hard drive has fallen by something like 41% per year. it's a hell of a lot faster, cheaper, easier, and probably more secure to store on server space rather than a flat file or hanging file.

Oct 17, 21 10:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Firms mostly use cloud based servers.

Oct 17, 21 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 

Hey tduds, have you seen the movie Pig? I loooooooved it, because it felt so true to my experience of the restaurant scene in Portland in the 90s, but I’m wondering if you felt the same? I haven’t been to Portland in 15 years!

Oct 16, 21 10:17 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Yes! Might be the best movie we've seen this year. The Portland of the film definitely feels true enough to the Portland of real life, and so "lived in" that all the characters' motivations make perfect sense. Nevermind the deep, deep love of food and the understanding of the connections that food can create.

Oct 18, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

Just got back from deer hunting in Minnesota.  I managed to get a couple of does within 15 yards but decided to let them pass.  I did manage to take three of the five coyotes that followed them 10 minutes later.  

Oct 18, 21 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

you eat coyotes? if not, why did you kill them?

Oct 18, 21 12:44 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Seems backwards to me but I know people dislike coyotes and find deer to be impossibly cute. They are cute, but also tasty and over-populated, partly due to not having enough predators...

Oct 18, 21 1:10 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

We also love our shrubs in our yards and we cut woods down into tiny little patches, the ideal habitat for deer.

Oct 18, 21 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is coyote good eatn'?

Oct 18, 21 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

The coyotes in this particular area are now overpopulated and have become very aggressive. The Department of Natural Resources has tried for the last five years to reduce the numbers with increased hunting tags for the animals. Unfortunately this didn't work and the DNR has now declared them an invasive species. As such they are now a shoot on site animal with no limit or permit needed. This classification will expire January 1 2022. Only the second time in 35 years this has happened.

I normally don't kill anything that I'm not going to eat.  These coyotes high numbers, their aggressive nature, and  combined with the fact I was hunting from the ground made me decide to shoot them.  I did try to scare them off via yelling and throwing various sticks at them.  

Oct 18, 21 2:23 pm  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

"invasive species" oh the irony, I'm sure the coyotes don't see it.

Oct 18, 21 2:26 pm  · 
3  ·  1

Well when their numbers are up 600% from last year and are decimating the ecosystem I wouldn't call them welcome. Also the coyotes aren't a native species to the area of MN I hunt in. The DNR has let them be since they've been in the area for the past 60 years.

The desire was that a balance would continue to be maintained.  Unfortunately it hasn't worked out.  Normally I see 3-4 deer a day and 1 coyote every few weeks.  I saw two deer in a week and 12 coyotes in that same time.   

Oct 18, 21 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Should have thrown a stick of bonafide ACME dynamite.

Animation Art:Color Model, Wile E. Coyote Color Model Cel (Warner Brothers, c. 1980s)....

Oct 18, 21 2:30 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Chad, here in Maine the coyotes have bred with wolves and created a new, larger, more aggressive species. At least that's what's happening in northern Maine; around here I believe we just have regular coyotes.

Oct 18, 21 2:30 pm  · 
1  · 

NS - well I did shoot a 9mm round at their feet. They didn't run so I shot them. I've been bowhunting for 10 years all over the country and this is the first time I've ever had to use my sidearm. 

Really sucks.

Also if I used ACME dynamite I would be missing fingers.  

Oct 18, 21 2:34 pm  · 
3  · 
mightyaa

Yep.. Coyote population must be out of control. I'm in the Denver suburbs, long way from undeveloped land, and have seen pairs and trios in the neighborhood and hear their yipping at night. Some are pretty big; like husky sized. Most are scraggly.

Oct 18, 21 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's bad enough that we have them in the Twin Cities, along the river.

Oct 18, 21 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

This was in south west MN around Pelican Rapids area.

Oct 18, 21 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

I was surprised how many coyotes I ran into Turkey hunting in Georgia about two seasons ago. They scared off relatively easy, but I saw enough of them to carry along my sidearm during my middle of the night trip to take a leak.

Oct 18, 21 5:55 pm  · 
1  · 

​ask not how many coyotes are there, ask why the coyotes fuck all the time.

Oct 18, 21 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I live an 8 minute drive to downtown (city of 700k) and I see coyotes in my neighborhood regularly. The last one I saw was bigger than my 45-lb dog, and was walking right down the middle of the sidewalk. It was pretty funny but it also woke me up really quickly that morning when I saw it! They're really used to seeing people around now and aren't scared at all. The response by local animal control was "we don't care" when I called them about the last one.

Oct 18, 21 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Those coyotes are part of the ecosystem, its totally natural and normal for animals like that to wander into new territories and take advantage of the situation. It’s not their fault they’re thriving, they’re just good at doing what coyotes do. Now, if only we would be allowed to hunt the ones responsible for causing damage to our ecosystems ;-)

Oct 18, 21 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

That's pretty much what the DNR did. The coyotes migrated into this area of MN 60 years ago. Instead of eradicating them they attempted to let them coexist. As the deer population went up so did the coyotes. The issue is their recent explosion in numbers, up 600% from last year. Now the coyotes are running out of food, going into towns and getting aggressive with people. I don't know what impact the coyotes have had on the deer population. I do know that the deer are migrating out of the area to avoid the coyotes. It will be interesting to see what impact all of this has on the local and surrounding ecosystems.

I'm used to encountering various predator animals in the wild.  Timberwolves, grizzly bear, coyotes, wild cats, ect.  I've never had an interaction with them like last week with coyotes. 

Oct 19, 21 9:58 am  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

ditto on the Georgia coyotes, population has exploded and they've infiltrated Atlanta, fighting the roaming dog (mostly pits) population over the backyard chickens for food (less than 12 are allowed)

Oct 19, 21 11:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I find it unjust and immoral to kill coyotes for being coyotes and doing what coyotes do, but perhaps that’s just me...circle of life and hakuna matata.

Oct 19, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Well considering that they were viewing me as a meal and weren't scarred off by shouting, sticks, and a warning shot at their paws . . . I gave them every chance to leave me alone. I feel no remorse for killing them.

Oct 19, 21 1:58 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Easy to criticize what you've never interacted with.

Oct 19, 21 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Obligatory:

Sorry for the delay, I 100% thought I had already posted this yesterday.

Oct 19, 21 2:22 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Or don't go out in the wilderness if that means you are forced to kill a living creature, just because you're both in the same place at the same time. You had to go out there and invade their territory to end up killing other living beings...sorry but I don't get that...

Oct 19, 21 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm not a hunter, never could, never would. However, culling the coyote herd is necessary to maintain a healthy habitat. I'm not sure if we'd like their predators in the Twin Cities. Coyotes don't just stay penned up in the north woods of Minnesota, they migrate to the cities, eat pets, get run over by cars, and attack people.

Oct 19, 21 5:01 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

B3, some coyotes may do that but as a whole they get an incredibly bad rap for things they don't do, as do most apex predators.

Oct 19, 21 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Randomized thinks that living creatures who stick their noses into places where they aren't wanted deserve what they get.

Oct 19, 21 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Rando - then you better not go into any wild places. I've been hunting, climbing, backpacking, ect in wild places for over 25 years. This is the first time I was forced to kill an animal that was aggressive.

I've uncounted timberwolves in the dead of winter because on their deer kills was on the trail. 

I've spooked a grizzly bear on a high mountain pass who was mock charging me. 

I've hiked up the base of a climb only to have a mountain lion and her cubs at the base of the climb. 

In every instance above the animals let me go.  In the instance with the coyotes they were not going to let me go.  Not a big deal as I do prepare for such situations.  Normally I only carry bear spray.  When hunting though I carry a sidearm. 

Oct 19, 21 6:02 pm  · 
1  · 

Rando - say you were out in a park with your family and five coyotes came along and were going to attack you. Would you simply let that happen since it's their habitat and they're just doing what they do? Sounds like a silly question however in the vast majority of the US almost any city is located within a predatory animals territory.

Oct 19, 21 6:09 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Problems created by humanity often require solutions engineered by humanity. We don't have to be excited about these solutions to acknowledge their necessity. 

Anyway, I think this is a cultural knowledge divide between Urban Europe and Rural Western America that's really hard to bridge in an internet thread.

Oct 19, 21 6:35 pm  · 
4  · 

Sorry for the delay, I 100% thought I had already posted this yesterday.

What are "things you say to clients when your consultants are late on drawings, Alex?"

Oct 19, 21 6:50 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Wood, I'm specifically referencing this situation. My partner has walked our pit adjacent to the river, and has had a coyote stalk her. My pit would likely rip the throat out one coyote, but a pack, not so sure.

Oct 19, 21 7:10 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Sorry Chad, but you went there armed with the

Oct 20, 21 2:07 am  · 
 · 
randomised

sole purpose of taking a life...Maybe don’t go there then, nobody forced you and dropped you into that situation, you went looking for it...I love the outdoors too but am not willing to kill living creatures just to enjoy the view or have a nice hike. As the Netherlands is entirely man made (m/f/x) we don’t have any apex predators, besides us humans, we are finally getting some wolves in now from Germany, and I am totally okay with that.

Oct 20, 21 2:16 am  · 
 · 

My completely unhelpful contribution is: were they “clean shots”? I don’t have a problem with culling. But I physically and emotionally can’t bear the feelings I get when an animal suffers. This is directly related to why I’ve never hunted and only fished once. So if you are a good shot, Chad, no problem. As long as the coyotes were living their happy life and then suddenly everything stopped, it’s humane enough IMO to cull for the greater good of the ecosystem.

Oct 20, 21 6:54 am  · 
1  · 

They were clean shots and each died instantly. The coyotes were only 15 yards away.

Oct 20, 21 10:14 am  · 
1  · 

Rando - you're right. I went out hunting knowing that I could be put into a life threating situation. Same thing applies when I go hiking, backpacking, climbing, paddling, cross country skiing, canyoneering, driving my car, going to the office. 

Everything we do has inherit risk. Some are higher than others. In this situation I gave the coyotes every chance to leave me alone. I attempted every non lethal option I had. 

I have no issues with killing to defend my life. Period.  

Now if someone is simply killing the coyotes because they are ruining their deer hunting - that's BS.  

Oct 20, 21 10:18 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I've killed some snowboarders on the slopes - Chad, I can see the situation, oddly enough, I've lived really close to golf courses for a number of years, and the packs of coyotes would come out their bushes and lure dogs into chasing them, then ambush and kill; also very daring ones coming right up to small dogs - it's a combination of overpopulation and seasonal change that makes them go hunting at the same time as you. Elk are coming down now in the high country.

Oct 20, 21 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Up until this incident I've never worried much about animal attacks in the wild. With everything except when hunting I've either carried bear spray (if in grizzly bear country) or nothing. I've only started carrying a sidearm when bowhunting in the last couple of years. Mostly due to other asshole humans.

Oct 20, 21 11:06 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

i love our timeline

Oct 20, 21 11:39 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"As the Netherlands is entirely man made (m/f/x) we don’t have any apex predators, besides us humans" 

I'm glad rando brought this up, since it was on my mind as I've been reading these replies. Like I said above, there's a difference between urbanized europe and rural western america, which largely comes down to the fact that rando's predecessors did the hunting that allows him to exist so separated from it that he finds the very concept abhorrent. I think this is a parallel for privilege?

Oct 20, 21 11:52 am  · 
5  · 
square.

while i also am no fan of killing animals, especially mammals, rando's perspective is suffering a little bit from the "nature as pure/other" perspective, when in reality it's impossible to exist as a human in the 21st century without quite profound acts of violence towards nature being a part of your daily existence; most of them are just "invisible."

Oct 20, 21 12:23 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

In my opinion there is just a difference between defending yourself in an unexpected situation and wilfully invading a predator’s territory to be forced to defend yourself against that predator...anyways, guess I’m like Dr. Joel Fleischman in Northern Exposure’s episode A-Hunting We Will Go...

Oct 20, 21 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"wilfully invading a predator’s territory to be forced to defend yourself against that predator" imo that's a misreading of the situation.

Oct 20, 21 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

As someone who does so frequently: I think it's important to sometimes inhabit spaces where you're not entirely dominant, where you're not entirely in control. I think it's healthy to sometimes remind ourselves that we're still part of the nature we came from, and have a little humility & perspective towards the indifferent factors (animal and environmental) that could and would kill us. This is how I've come to define "wilderness" - not a place free of human impact (as no such place exists on this planet) but a place in which humans relinquish their dominance. If that can be called "willfully invading a predator's territory" than so be it.

Oct 20, 21 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

There I go, gettin' all philosophical again.

Oct 20, 21 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I had the vegan frozen yogurt at Ikea today so I'm feeling particularly smug.

Oct 20, 21 2:09 pm  · 
2  · 

Rando - I think what you're missing is that nearly every area of the wilderness in the central and western United States are the territory of various predators that can kill humans. This is also true for non developed areas near human habitation. I understand not wanting to kill an animal - that's just fine. 

However, if we were to use your view of not invading a predators habitat would mean not leaving your house in these areas.

Oct 20, 21 2:11 pm  · 
1  · 

NS - a smug Canadian!? Is that even possible?

Oct 20, 21 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Chad we have coyotes in my city too... and black bears. Mostly inner suburbs but still, many sightings. That's why I need to CC a sherwood on me at all times.

Oct 20, 21 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

I always knew they weren't just for hockey. There is a joke about CC'ing a sherwood.  I'm just too busy with CD's to do it justice. 

I've never lived where there weren't bears, wolves, coyotes, and mountain lions.  They're typically harmless.  Now moose are something else.  Those boys get uppity when in rut and like to beat the hell out of anything.  Cars, trees, rocks, Instagram influencers.  

Oct 20, 21 2:30 pm  · 
4  · 

I’ve never experienced large predator danger, but I grew up checking every shoe before putting it on to make sure there wasn’t a black widow spider inside.

Oct 20, 21 3:55 pm  · 
2  · 

Spiders ::EEEEEEEPPPPPPPP:: I'd rather deal with a grizzly.

Oct 20, 21 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Chad, you went out to kill...it was the intent of you going out into the wild in the first place, you went hunting other living creatures not writing poetry, making it totally intentional to kill and thereby premeditated. Sorry, that's just the way I see it.

Oct 20, 21 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

i, too, enjoy repeating myself in a room full of people who disagree with me for no apparent reason

Oct 20, 21 5:03 pm  · 
5  · 
Almosthip

Chad....smug Canadians live in Quebec

Oct 20, 21 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
square.

rando i hope you avoid all forms of transportation that emit carbon in any form, because it's not helping a whole host of animals... if intent is the only measure of culpability, you have a very limited kind of ethics.

Oct 20, 21 5:20 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hip, I thought it was Alberta?

Oct 20, 21 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

What about Manitoba?

Oct 20, 21 6:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

This is now the longest subthread on archinect, the killin' cyotes thread!

Oct 20, 21 6:16 pm  · 
6  · 
randomised

square, fyi I travel by train that runs on renewable energy, or I cycle or walk...but your analogy is way off; emitting carbon is not the intent of transportation, it is a consequence...while killing is the intent of hunting. there is a clear distinction there, I would argue in this case that my ethics are the least limited here and the most inclusive, coyote lives matter ;-)

Oct 20, 21 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ethics sm’ethics. What really matters is if Chad brought home some tasty venison.

Oct 20, 21 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

The thing is Rando, while I acknowledge your ethics I don't respect them. Yes I did go out to kill an animal. I'm honest about that. You however live in a world where even if you don't do anything that directly kills and animal you're still complicit in it. Living in a city, riding any type of public transportation, owning nearly anything, eating vegetarian, and designing buildings (assuming they're built) kill a good amount of animals a year. I have no idea how many but I'd suspect its in the tens of millions. You're complacent in that death just by existing in this world.

Oct 20, 21 7:15 pm  · 
5  · 
square.

chad nailed it, and i say that as a vegetarian- of course you can't directly intend to make the transportation you use, but you do actively use it. and those buildings you design? certainly not 100% carbon free. the bike you ride? curious how those materials were harvested. plus we haven't even got into the history of how the netherlands came to be, the violence through which you live your comfortable 21st century life free of threatening wildlife, among other things .. but i won't go there.

it's easy to absolve yourself because you didn't intend anything, but it's a pretty intellectually lazy argument.

Oct 21, 21 9:35 am  · 
1  · 

NS - no venison this year. :( 

I did get an elk though!  25 yards broadside shot from the ground.  So far bow hunting for elk from the ground is way easier than whitetail deer.  

Oct 21, 21 10:32 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I absolutely love elk... makes for a damn tasty burger. There is a large organic elk ranch just outside my city and they supply plenty of local restaurants.

Oct 21, 21 10:41 am  · 
1  · 

Yeah it's really good. I figure I'll get around 180 of meat after all the sausage and burger is done being processed.

Oct 21, 21 11:09 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

square, it’s the intend and premeditation that matter most...(well at least to me) all the bs you come up with one cannot change as an individual, they are just excuses to be able looking oneself in the mirror and continue the killing and quench the bloodthirst. Sorry if I don’t play along...

Oct 25, 21 2:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry if we don't play along with your extreme pov Rando.

Oct 25, 21 6:33 am  · 
3  · 

Rando - I only kill 2-3 more animals a year than you do. You know that the life you live kills animals. You continue to live your life in such a way. That's premeditation. It seems to me that you're the one trying to find excuses to be able to look at yourself in the mirror . . .

Oct 25, 21 9:23 am  · 
4  · 
randomised

It used to be totally normal and acceptable to own slaves too and to do with slaves as one pleases...there will come a time when killing animals for pleasure or to consume their meat will be a thing of the past just like slavery was abolished, and people will be ashamed of their past behaviour and excuses...

Oct 25, 21 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Non, there is nothing extreme about not eating meat or to be against the killing of living creatures...quite the opposite!

Oct 25, 21 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

It seems like you're still missing the point: The pushback you're getting is not because you're against hunting and everyone else is pro-hunting, but because you're insisting on placing yourself outside of a system that you are still very much inside of, and the undeserved moral high ground you're claiming comes off as naive + smug. I'm not saying this to put you down, but because a little blunt delivery might help color in the context for you.

Oct 25, 21 12:50 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

It could be easily argued, for example, that an urban vegan relying entirely on the global food delivery system has a bigger negative impact on nature, animal welfare, and human welfare than a rural hunter who kills their own meat and grows their own produce. Just because you don't pull the trigger doesn't mean your lifestyle is free from death.

Oct 25, 21 12:54 pm  · 
4  · 
randomised

I don’t place myself outside the system, I prefer not to contribute to the carnage as much as possible...not killing and or eating animals is a very simple yet effective way to reduce the carnage. Still not sure where all the cognitive dissonance is coming from, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time...the future is vegan.

Oct 25, 21 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
square.

not "contributing to the carnage as much as possible" is a very different argument than the one you were making before- it implies the sort of nuance every other person is trying to get at..

i agree with what you're saying about how we might view killing animals in the future- what we do is incredibly barbaric- but again this is shifting the goalposts from claiming that just because you don't intend to harm animals or the planet, your current lifestyle doesn't contribute to it in some significant way.

Oct 25, 21 3:34 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

the future is vegan? I don't see any future to speak of if we keep trying to build where the sea will be again. How's that issue going for the Netherlanders? Still paying SHELL CEO 15 million a year?

Oct 25, 21 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I see the dopey expat has pulled you in with another bullshit contrarian argument, that has little to do with reality. Factory farming is the real threat to the planet, humans, and animals. Hunting, while something I would never do, or advocate for, is not the issue, unless of course you're one of those assholes from Minnesota, that goes off to kill elephants, giraffes, or lions. So, unless you are doing that, then in most cases your are likely stewards of the land.

Oct 25, 21 4:23 pm  · 
5  · 
randomised

Maybe catch up on some essential reading, can recommend Tom Regan or Peter Singer...killing animals to consider yourself a steward of the land, in that case Adolf fucking Hitler was an amazing steward of the land and a true humanitarian, getting rid of all those millions of meat eating, carbon emitting Homo Sapiens to save us all. Can’t imagine how much warmer the planet would be now and how much more habitat would be lost if all those millions and all their offspring would be still around. /sarcasm

Oct 26, 21 2:32 am  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ruh-oh! He brought Der Fuhrer to zee table. 

Do you have any house pets?

Oct 26, 21 2:54 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

No pets, but if I did I wouldn’t kill it to quench my blood thirst, to simply eat it or to be a steward of my apartment.

Oct 26, 21 3:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

When you've got no useful argument to stand on, reach for the classic and reliable crutch: Good old Adolf boy. Well played.

Oct 26, 21 6:10 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

Just following the ridiculous logic that is being shown here by people that can’t give up their meat and want to keep on believing that killing living creatures seems to be a splendid idea...if bringing up Adolf is such a reliable crutch that must mean the argument stands well supported...

Oct 26, 21 6:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is only one ridiculous one in this entire thread... and spoiler alert, it's not the one handsome wanker who asked if coyotes are good eating.

Oct 26, 21 6:39 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Randi must be a PETA supporter.

Oct 26, 21 7:28 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Okay, so it is ridiculous to be against the premeditated and deliberate killing of living and breathing creatures...noted.

Oct 26, 21 8:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ if the result is a BLT without the bacon, yes, yes it is.

Oct 26, 21 9:09 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

random, answer the question, do you support PETA?

Oct 26, 21 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't think he knows what coyotes are or what the wilderness is. Sad.

Oct 26, 21 9:31 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

From what I gather, Europe has reintroduced wolves, with very mixed effects, and rather violent conflicts. What I'm curious to know is this, indigenous people have been responsible stewards, are we going to castigate them?

Oct 26, 21 9:56 am  · 
 · 

randomised wrote:

"Okay, so it is ridiculous to be against the premeditated and deliberate killing of living and breathing creatures...noted."

It can be ridiculous.  Taking a black and white, non-compromising position on a complicated issue is never a good idea.  

Oct 26, 21 10:11 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

It is ridiculous to be against the premeditated and deliberate killing of living and breathing creatures while also being willfully blind to the reality that your lifestyle indirectly contributes to as much if not more death & suffering. I'm not sure how many ways I can re-state the same thing before you figure it out.

Oct 26, 21 11:28 am  · 
1  · 

If I wasn't sure Rando was just trolling I would have to think he was being a delusional hypocrite. I know he's not either of those things.

Oct 26, 21 11:53 am  · 
 · 
randomised

We are living in a potentially post-meat society...we don’t need to kill animals any more to sustain ourselves. The suffering we bring onto animals is just because we as a species are ignorant to their suffering as it is an inconvenient truth and a great (future) shame for our species once we put an end to killing animals for our pleasure and convenience. Keep on lying to yourselves that you have to kill, we don’t have to. What is the point of being a steward of the land if that means taking the lives of the innocent? But whatever, I have a train to catch...

Oct 26, 21 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Maybe it's because you never experienced diverse wildlife in the first place, don't worry, it's all going to be good. Pandas are no longer a threatened species.

Oct 26, 21 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not lying to myself that I have to kill animals. I choose to. I admit that and have no issue with it.

That green train that you're taking - assuming you travel 10 miles per day, 150 days a year, produces .89 tons of C02.  That's equivalent to around 42 coyotes.  

Oct 26, 21 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

the carbon footprint of my diverse wildlife experiences (on 4 continents(!)) actually helped me give up eating meat :-P

Oct 26, 21 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think I'll order a double cheeseburger for lunch.

Oct 26, 21 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Suit yourself, I’d rather spend those 15 extra years with my kids than rotting in the ground because I didn’t have the guts to give up meat...

Oct 26, 21 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not really a thing, but whatever makes you sleep at night.

Oct 26, 21 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Chad, my train runs on 100% renewable energy, and it runs with or without me in it...that’s 42 more coyotes for you to kill, you’re welcome!

Oct 26, 21 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Doesn't matter that it runs on renewable energy. It still has a carbon foot print due to embodied energy. A typical commuter train over the same time would produce around 5.4 tons of CO2. 

When you ride it you're killing animals. By using it you're supporting the killing of animals.  

Now excuse me.  I'm going to eat some elk burger meatballs from my recent hunt.  

Oct 26, 21 12:55 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Rando.... its a pretty far fall from that high horse your looking down on everyone from

Oct 26, 21 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Rando's only being semi serious. He's bored and trolling because he's leaving his job . . .

Oct 26, 21 1:13 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

No... really? getouttta here with that sensible conclusion.

Oct 26, 21 1:21 pm  · 
1  · 

Sorry about that sensible conclusion. I got rid of all my blood lust a couple of weeks ago when I murdered three coyotes who were going to eat me.

Oct 26, 21 1:37 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

FWIW, I'm vegan adjacent. I just don't go around expecting that I'm going to get anywhere screeching at people. Another FWIW, PETA, murders house pets daily, all because their idiotic militant position would have you believe that Fido and Felix would be better off dead, than providing you companionship.

Oct 26, 21 2:23 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

i'm sure rando's never flown on a plane or swatted a mosquito either. this has gone straight up clown status.

Oct 26, 21 3:07 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I mean, even Jesus ate fish.

Oct 26, 21 4:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Yeah but he walked everywhere and all his stuff was organic . . . Then again there was a lot of animal sacrifice.

Oct 26, 21 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

True, but Jesus would hate factory farming, hunting, I think he'd be okay with. Even Buddhists would be down.

Oct 26, 21 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Please all, enjoy your bloody killing and the defending of killing and killers...just because the creature that suffers from your (in)actions is of another species that doesn’t make it justifiable.

Oct 27, 21 2:16 am  · 
 · 

But Rando, you're lifestyle kills more animals than mine. Wait a second. I think Rando is actually just a very clever mass killer who's figured out a lazy way to satiate his blood lust.

::cue Friday the 13th music::

Oct 27, 21 10:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think random is Banksy.

Oct 27, 21 10:35 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Whatever you need to tell yourself Chad to continue the slaughter...

Oct 27, 21 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Rando

I don't need to tell myself anything - I'm just fine with the slaughter. You however seem to be doing some mental gymnastics to justify the your blood lust. ;)

Oct 27, 21 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

I don’t lust for the blood of innocent animals, that’s more your cup of tea...I don’t need to confirm my “manhood” by killing or eating animals :-P

Oct 27, 21 11:45 am  · 
 · 

I don't confirm my manhood by hunting. That's all done on the internet like everyone else. Duh. :P

Oct 27, 21 11:52 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

Still doin this today, huh?

Oct 27, 21 12:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Meh, I'm bored and it keeps my blood lust satiated.

Oct 27, 21 12:09 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Yeah, sorry always need to have the last word and my mobile internet just got renewed, dangerous combo...

Oct 27, 21 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Mobile internet = BLOOD LUST!

Oct 27, 21 1:29 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think Coyote Slaughter is a cool firm name.

Oct 27, 21 5:16 pm  · 
2  · 

I was never going to run my own firm but with that name I may reconsider.

Oct 27, 21 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Tis the day of the robo calls.  Our office manager, one of the partners, and an adjacent collogue have been getting dozens of calls this morning from scammers.  All different numbers, all the same scam.  

Grrrrr.  

Oct 21, 21 3:30 pm  · 
1  · 

I am getting calls from China regarding better adjustments to my medicare plan in the US!

Oct 25, 21 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

I got three in quick succession this morning too. Damn them.

Oct 25, 21 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

"I got three in quick succession this morning too. Damn them." Coyotes? Robo calls?

Oct 26, 21 9:30 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I would never work for a monarchist wannabe 

Oct 25, 21 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why? Dude was rocking house designs since he was 12! Not even FoG or FLW can make such claims. If anyone is owned royal status, it's this random wanker I just now found out about and already forgotten. (https://www.markmaresca.com/about)

This is the only crown worthy of my attention and respect:

WHISKY CROWN ROYAL 40% CL.70 FROM CANADA Whisky - Antica Enoteca  Giulianelli, Vini e Liquori storici

Oct 25, 21 4:54 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

then he should appoint a royal proof reader  and jargon catcher

Oct 25, 21 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

When you're the king, whatever you write is the correct spelling... peasant.

Oct 25, 21 5:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

yawn......

Oct 25, 21 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Why the ::beep:: is this guy worth talking about? 

Oct 25, 21 7:15 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Uhhhh what am I missing? That's the correct use and spelling of 'coalesce'

Oct 25, 21 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

actually, he is very good at what he does. There are hundredfold more people who think that is great architecture than the few losers, including me, who think machine for living is better suited for our times. ​

Oct 25, 21 10:49 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I just found the logo awfully pedant. I'm sure he's good at what he does.

Oct 26, 21 10:16 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I’ve got an interesting quote yesterday. I have a renovation project where the electrical contractor is now claiming that any work requiring a ladder is now considered hazardous work (plus extra time because of set up, ladder relocation, time to climb up and down, etc). As a result, what would be a few 1000$ of work is quote x5 times. 

The contractor also claimed those figures are non-negotiable. While it’s not my responsibility to fight the claims, I am the prime consultant and need to ensure my electrical P.Eng represent my clients best interests during their review. Anyone else running into this? Important to note that nothin in my example requires a ladder higher than your typical 6’ one everyone has in their shed. 

Oct 26, 21 10:15 am  · 
 · 

In the US we have OSHA. Do you have a similar agency? It sounds like there might have been a change in the regs.. It actually sounds like it might be legit..

Oct 26, 21 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We have something like that... I forget the acronym. They are however abusing it to charge far more than the job is worth and not allowing us enough time to review. I think they imposed a 2 day window which when it expires, reverts to even higher $. If it was an architectural item, I would reject outright, but it's electrical so it's out of my hands but I will still have to face the client.

Important sidenote: The electrical worker's union in my region is literally worst than the montreal mafia.  Someone here will understand that reference.

Oct 26, 21 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Bench

WHMS ?

Oct 26, 21 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

WSIB as it turns out.

Oct 26, 21 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S)

Oct 26, 21 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

For those holding their breath, I just heard back from my consultant and they pulled out a very terse but precise page from their project spec book that clearly outlines what is considered maximum difficulty and/or hazard and what is considered normal conditions. This project is very obviously normal to anyone who would bother to read it so their initial review (about 1/3rd of the latest quote) will stand. Good thing because I was just about to go read their spec to see if they had a CYA clause.

Oct 26, 21 12:14 pm  · 
4  · 
Almosthip

Non... What is the architects responsibility when it comes to OH&S standard, for say things like ladders? Do architects need to know every standard there is for fixed ladders with OH&S?

Oct 26, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Only when it comes to the actual design/installation and we have a federal design standard when it comes to roof access and cages and whatnot. The issue is that standard is no longer published so not a single person alive knows what the fuck they are doing. Every project is a gong show when shop drawings come back. The only clear thing in our code (Ontario) is a supplementary section that dictates the strength (in Newtons!) of fixed ladder anchors. Annoyed am I? nooooooo....

Oct 26, 21 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I am in a similar situation , except the NBC-2019 AE is more vague. I am also a little frustrated

Oct 26, 21 6:08 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

NS, I'm sure you don't need my help but I was curious because every time I do a ladder, I spend half a day trying to find the actual legislation and requirements. Go here and click "download" and you'll see what I believe to be at least somewhat relevant.... https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/910213/v28?search=workplace

Nov 9, 21 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Anyone see the new Dune? I loved it! Oscar has replaced Brad for me. Especially that rock solid beard. Makes this cis-gendered white, swoon.

Oct 26, 21 2:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Better than David Lynch's awful earlier attempt but quite dull. Super-smooth CGI in an emotional desert where I couldn't find myself caring about any of the characters. I never cared much for Herbert's book either.

Oct 26, 21 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

The previews made it look like a young adult book made into a movie. I take it I just saw a poor trailer?

From what I saw Oscar's bear was epic though!  ;)

Oct 26, 21 4:10 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I liked David's piece too, this was a set up for the next, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was two parts.

Oct 26, 21 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I was thinking Laurence of Arabia and The Prince.

Oct 26, 21 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

So it seems like everyone loves the new Ole Scheeren tower in Vancouver.

Oct 26, 21 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it was public housing ...

Oct 26, 21 5:00 pm  · 
1  · 

I am going to stop looking at the news on Archinect. I am starting to get sarcastic again and I don't like it. My daughter just started to walk. I don't give a shit about another building for rich people.

Oct 26, 21 5:01 pm  · 
9  · 
Non Sequitur

this thing:

Don't know what they mean by future sustainability feature.  Perhaps they expect technology to eventually permit full solar power via minimal photovoltaic coverage?  What do I know, I just spent the last few days preparing a 1.6million sq.ft 5 tower office complex for geothermal study.  I sure would help if all I needed to do was colour a few sq.m yellow. 

Oct 26, 21 5:03 pm  · 
4  · 
bowling_ball

Holy shit, that can't be real

Oct 27, 21 12:08 am  · 
 · 
randomised

still have a soft spot for towers that reference Structuralism, don’t know why but prefer those over the smooth dildos you’d see elsewhere...

Oct 27, 21 2:04 am  · 
1  · 

I have to agree Rando. I too don't know why.

Oct 27, 21 10:23 am  · 
1  · 
Bench

But they affixed a Leed Canada symbol you guys! That means it's sustainable! And so green!

Oct 27, 21 1:09 pm  · 
3  · 

Also it's Canadian so . . . .

Oct 27, 21 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hey now. All those trees that are photoshopped on those sleek boxes are bonafide maple trees. Not only is it sustainable (because of the diagram) but it will also produce it's own maple syrup!

Oct 27, 21 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

That there would produce a lot of Canadian Gold. . . .

Oct 27, 21 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Anyone see Titane? That was awesome too.

Oct 26, 21 4:57 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I'm thinking about getting apple tv subscription

Oct 26, 21 5:36 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Have you converted to the new religion? https://archinect.com/news/art...

Oct 27, 21 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

the proper lesson to learn from the "classic American subdivisons that cropped up after World War II" is to duplicate them. BUT FASTER.

Oct 27, 21 3:59 pm  · 
1  · 

If you mean BS, most of the country has been converted to worship it.

Oct 27, 21 4:11 pm  · 
2  · 
RJ87

Cool idea, makes sense. But the idea of living in a subdivision full of similar floorplans terrifies me. It's the reason my wife & I haven't been able to find a house in our area. I've stopped using two different real estate agents because they wouldn't stop sending me the same style of house even after I specifically told them I wasn't going to buy one.

Oct 27, 21 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

so my office is now requiring people to be in at least part of the week. Many people are in the office full time - largely ownership and junior staff. The people who are holding out are mostly experienced middle managers and senior technical staff.

this past Monday a couple of these more experienced people who sit near me were finally back in the office and there was literally a line of people who wanted to talk to them.

Yesterday and today they weren’t in the office and a bunch of people stopped by my desk asking if they were in today. It was really sad - younger generation of architects is starving for mentorship and they aren’t getting it.

Oct 27, 21 9:41 pm  · 
7  · 
axonapoplectic

I don’t think so. I know one guy who I was talking to a couple months ago was telling me he felt pretty hopeless - he wasn’t getting the support he needed. We are also losing 2-3 people a week - mostly people in the 5-10 year experience range. PMs appear to be very overloaded and unwilling/unable to delegate. It’s kind of amazing how fast things have deteriorated over the course of the pandemic. I’m starting to plan my exit, but stories I hear from friends at other firms in my area make it seem like it’s not much better there either.

Oct 28, 21 1:07 am  · 
 · 
square.

strange- we've done just fine online, and have almost doubled our office with newer folks. some aren't willing to shift the way that they "mentor," but it's entirely possible. i don't buy the correlation between mentorship and physical proximity.. for many it's an unwillingness to adapt.

Oct 28, 21 10:33 am  · 
2  · 

As with most professions if you're talented and / or a good manager this profession is great. If you're mediocre, don't understand design, construction science, and constructability then you're going to have a rough time.

All that being said. It's all about the firm you work for.  A good firm will mentor you and recognize your talents.  It's important to recognize that large firms and large cities aren't the only place to work.  Great mentorships, growth, and fun projects can be found in smaller firms in smaller communities.  

Good luck. 

Oct 28, 21 10:34 am  · 
3  · 
axonapoplectic

kicking myself for not naming the mega dorm thread: Final Boss Fight: MEGA DORM

Oct 29, 21 8:28 pm  · 
6  · 
Wood Guy

Fans of Building Science Fight Club, aka Christine Williamson: she will be our guest this Thursday for The BS* + Beer Show (*building science), for an open-ended discussion. Let me know if you have questions for her, or better, join the audience and ask her yourself! https://mailchi.mp/1c4ba2614b1...

Nov 1, 21 11:12 am  · 
5  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Has she recovered from the dust up with dank.lloyd.wright?

Nov 1, 21 11:24 am  · 
1  · 

b3t - what dustup and who is dank?

Nov 1, 21 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

IG architecture meme poster, funny as hell, on point, and she got into a beef with him over unpaid labor.

Nov 1, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, is that the guy who doesn't practice architecture but sells seminars for passing the ARE?

Nov 1, 21 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Nooooooooooo!

Nov 1, 21 1:37 pm  · 
2  · 

Must of been some 'big time' architect I don't follow then.

Nov 1, 21 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I had to unfollow DLW. They post way too much.

Nov 1, 21 2:41 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

She's really great, and a great resource for all kinds of building science.

Nov 1, 21 2:45 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

I also had to unfollow DLW... but i still eagerly read all of BSFC's posts!

Nov 1, 21 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

I'm glad I'm not on instagram . . .

Nov 1, 21 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

DLW is not for everyone, but their content is a lot less offending than the content of our resident CBD from Kitsap.

Nov 1, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

What is with all the abbreviations b3t? I have no idea who or what you're talking about. That is probably a good thing?

Nov 1, 21 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

If you say his name, he comes to haunt threads. Not that he can here, but it's good practice.

Nov 1, 21 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

Oh! What the f*#k dose CBD and Kitsap mean though in relation to 'big wall-o-text'.

Nov 2, 21 11:31 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

certified building designer, not cannabidiol. He's more PCP, less CBD in that sense.

Nov 2, 21 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

The big walls of text are posted by a Certified Building Designer from Kitsap, who has apparently been banned from TC.

Nov 2, 21 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Kitsap or Clatsop?

Nov 2, 21 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

I prefer CBD over a Certified Building Designer.

Nov 2, 21 12:53 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

certified bullshit distributor?

Nov 2, 21 1:01 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

I'm usually busy with work and either can't or, more often, just forget to tune in - I'll try to get on this week. I do love Christine.

Nov 2, 21 1:18 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

She's easy to like. And a truly nice person. We usually have a more specific topic and tried to get her to suggest one, but it will be fun to just see where the conversation goes.

Nov 2, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Uhg.  Anti vaccine and anti mask co worker was exposed to COVID and now has symptoms.  We don't know if she'll get tested so the office is having her quarantine for 14 days.

Now my wife and I need to get tested on Friday.  

I hope we don't get COVID again (come on vaccine, do your thing!) and that my coworker is OK.  

Nov 2, 21 11:30 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Have there been many instances of people getting covid multiple times? Either way, that coworker sucks, is selfish, and I would (if I was the boss) be asking my legal counsel if I could fire her. (Colorado is at-will, so...)

Nov 2, 21 12:04 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

At this point in the pandemic I have zero qualms about someone losing their job for being voluntarily unvaccinated.

Nov 2, 21 12:29 pm  · 
9  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I just got a formal letter from my Quebec Arch association saying that any member of a professional order acting in one of the targeted environments [mostly healthcare and high-density residential] and who is not adequately protected against COVID-19 [vaccine x2] commits an act derogatory to the dignity of the profession. This applies to onsite meetings in those particular types of projects but it also says the same if that unvax idiot decides to have meetings in general without minimum protection (ie. mask).

Nov 2, 21 12:29 pm  · 
4  · 

That is terrible Chad. I try to have empathy for those who are anti-vaxers but it is difficult for me. I got 2 doses of Moderna. It gave me shock psoriasis twice. Better than getting Covid. I am waiting to get the booster. I am 70 and just had cancer surgery. They said they got it all but I am afraid to get the booster until they take the stitches out Monday. I live in a state where over half the people refuse to get vaccinated or even wear a mask. Sometimes I go out in my car and just scream. Like I said having empathy for them is difficult. Love for my girlfriend and our daughter is the only thing that keeps me going sometimes.

Nov 2, 21 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 

This person will not be fired for this. They are vocal about their views on vaccines and masks. The partners know. I'm not sure if CO still has the requirement that if you aren't vaccinated you're supposed to wear a mask. I think it's up to the individual business.

Nov 2, 21 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Z111 - I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. I hope they got all of it out. I too try to be empathetic towards people scared to get the vaccine. I understand that it's largely due to ignorance. Some people though, I simply can't be empathetic towards.

Nov 2, 21 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Chad. They said they were able to get it all. They might not have been able to find it if it hadn't been for the psoriasis. The idiots who won't get the vaccine are just making a stupid political statement most times.

Nov 2, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

So I looked at the mask requirements for CO. Private businesses are able to choose if they want people to wear masks regardless of their vaccination status.  There are exceptions to this based on the type of business :

Sixth Amended Public Health Order 20-38 requires unvaccinated people to wear masks in specific settings, including medical facilities (including long term care facilities), homeless shelters, prisons, and jails. The state also requires universal mask use for staff, visitors, and residents in residential care facilities regardless of vaccination status. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) encourages people who are not fully vaccinated to wear masks in all other public indoor spaces to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. "

Nov 2, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Ugh indeed. I have a couple of COVID anti-vax issues going on. One is my business peer group, a collection of builders and designers focused on green building sharing tips and support; our bi-annual, 2.5-day meeting was supposed to be this week. We are all vaccinated except our facilitator, and the parent org's rules say they could not attend the event. Long story short, the event was cancelled yesterday. I can definitely use the extra time but we all pay a lot to participate in this group so our leader's decision has an impact on all of us.

My other story is that my wife and I are taking our moms to a rental house on the coast for the weekend. I had originally invited my brother, who I only see a few times a year as he lives out of state. But he's an avid anti-vaxxer, and both of our moms are at high risk, so I disinvited him, which didn't go over well. The holidays will be fun this year...

Nov 2, 21 2:00 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Keep your chin up, you're doing the morally sound thing.

Nov 2, 21 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

I already had COVID because a client wouldn't wear a mask. If I get it again because of work I may really upset and loose my cool.

Nov 2, 21 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I read recently about some data starting to show that people who contracted COVID, recovered, and then got vaccinated have extremely broad immunity across different variants. So if you were already sick and you got your shot, you're one of the least at risk people anywhere. Congrats!

Nov 2, 21 5:28 pm  · 
2  · 

Correct! Also I'm getting my booster shot once I know I don't have COVID.

Basically I'll be immune to EVERYTHING!  

Nov 3, 21 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Here's my rundown of this year in vaccines; shingles, J&J, Tetanus, Flu, Moderna. If anyone is bulletproof, it's this guy.

Nov 3, 21 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Covid-Deer

Are we ready to have the conversation, yet?

Nov 2, 21 7:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Good thing it’s not spreading through coyotes because we’re not allowed to touch them.

Nov 2, 21 8:03 pm  · 
6  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Coyote eats deer, Chad shoots coyote.

Nov 2, 21 8:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

So... B3ta, you saying Rando was right all along? Is Chad keeping covid alive by removing the covid-infested deer 's natural predator?

Nov 3, 21 8:16 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Of course I'm right!

Nov 3, 21 9:00 am  · 
 · 

I only shoot the coyotes after they eat the COVID deer. I'm closing the loop.  Circle of life and all.  ;)

Nov 3, 21 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Itttttttttttttt's the CIRRRRRRRRRcle of life....

Nov 3, 21 11:01 am  · 
1  · 

Yup!  ::sings way off key::

Lion King Simba Hakuna Matata shirt Iron on Transfer fabric 8x10- 5x7 -3x3  | eBayHakuna Matata: Cool African Wildlife Notebook Blank Lined Journal Gift For  Timon & Pumbaa Fan: Heaven, Bujo: 9781076893741: Amazon.com: BooksLion King Simba Hakuna Matata shirt Iron on Transfer fabric 8x10- 5x7 -3x3  | eBay

Nov 3, 21 11:48 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Hey, hey, hey...hakuna matata, y'all!

Nov 3, 21 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

In the jungle

the wild jungle

the lion sleeps tonight

ah weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Nov 3, 21 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Nov 3, 21 3:19 pm  · 
1  · 

Hehehehehe

I'd be Joey. 

Nov 3, 21 5:02 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

guess there's a considerable amount of antivax antimask hunters out there, makes sense, maybe next time don't go hunting deer but give them a mask instead of a bullet:

Nov 4, 21 8:58 am  · 
 · 

I don't get the anti mask bunk from some hunters. We have our faces covered 90% of the time when hunting with no issues.  

Oh, and I give the deer an arrow shaft to the heart and save the bullets for coyotes.  

Nov 4, 21 10:04 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I read your last sentence as if it was sung from Jon Bon Jovi. No regrets. "SHAFT to the heart... as I lay here alone... save the bullets for coyoeteeeees."

Nov 4, 21 10:20 am  · 
2  · 

Well duh! I obviously intended it that way. :)

Nov 4, 21 10:37 am  · 
1  · 

Whoa-oh halfway there, Whoa-OH shootin at a deer

Nov 4, 21 2:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

who-OOOOHHHH, shooOOOOOting at a deAAer.

Nov 4, 21 3:23 pm  · 
1  · 

Like you've never taken a blowtorch to a cobweb before...

Nov 4, 21 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I know we beat the horse pretty well here, but I saw this just now, and I think this type of enterprise should cease to exist, and they're all over the place

https://www.texashuntlodge.com...

Nov 4, 21 5:36 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

14k to hunt a captivity-bred bison? That’s an expensive fish to shoot. Make it bare knuckle hunting, and see how many manly men boom their spots.

Nov 4, 21 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Hunting captive bred bison in a ranch? WTF? That's weird.

I say if you take out the bison with just a sharpened stick then it should be free . . . 

Nov 4, 21 6:49 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Well, we got stuck with Frey, but we got 3 Democratic Socialists on the City Council! It's going to be a fun four years.

Nov 3, 21 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Our bond passed for a new $150 million high school. Unfortunately all the school board members are republicans who ran on the an anti-vaccine, anti-mask platform and are backed by republican party.

Also a bond passed for a new fire station complex in a nearby mountain town.  

We have so much work now we need like three more people.

I think this is why my firm is offering some of us stock options.  They're expecting us to work crazy hours for the next six months.  

Nov 3, 21 6:40 pm  · 
2  · 
shellarchitect

some of you might remember that about 2 months ago I left my job of 5ish years for a position at an interior design firm.  Big raise, cool projects, cool workplace, etc.  Quickly found that my skills as an architect were of no value and was having a hard time.

Anyway, accepted an offer to return to the old firm.  another raise, possibility of significant bonuses, projects are less cool but I’ll have more of an impact on them.  Will be working with people I like and admire.  Pretty happy to be back!

Nov 4, 21 3:56 pm  · 
5  · 

Nothing wrong with taking a chance and it not working out - especially if you end up with two raises!

Nov 4, 21 4:23 pm  · 
4  · 

Why didn't the interiors firm not value your skills? Didn't they know what an architect dose when they hired you? Anyways, I'm glad things worked out!

Nov 4, 21 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Shell, now you have the answer to 'what if'. Glad it all ended well for you. Let this be a lesson to others on the importance of maintaining good relationships in the small world of design and construction. No good comes from burning bridges.

Nov 4, 21 7:16 pm  · 
2  · 

Conte crayon drawings can be superbly elegant and evocotive. I prefer them to photo realistic renderings.

Nov 5, 21 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

In a desperate attempt to cash in on wokism Marvel has added two new Gen-Z non-binary superheroes named and Snowflake and Safespace.

Coming soon: Asswipe, D-Bag, and Ignoranus!

Nov 6, 21 4:51 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

I applaud this bold move. After all, isn't the only true binary good vs. evil?

(And Coke vs. Pepsi, of course.)

Nov 6, 21 5:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

I think the bigger issue with Marvel is that when I went to see Dune two weeks ago, fully 6 super hero trailers were shown before the movie. That's too many super hero movies - they're all the same thing sheeple!

Nov 6, 21 5:37 pm  · 
1  · 

I’m curious, Miles, what “wokism” means to you?

Nov 6, 21 11:27 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't know, much in the way Pepe was a way to own the libs, this seems very much the same. I agree with the comments in the piece, a bunch of whites, maga types, reaching for Alt-Right glory.

Nov 7, 21 1:44 am  · 

Misappropriated buzzword faux progressivism.

Nov 7, 21 8:41 am  · 
 · 

That has been weaponized.

Nov 7, 21 8:58 am  · 
 · 

Imo these will be misread the same way born in the usa and every breath you take were and still are.

Nov 7, 21 9:28 am  · 
 · 

My big question is this: why get bent out of shape about this? If you're a decent human being with a degree of self respect and happiness you should have better things to pay attention to.

Nov 7, 21 11:55 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I overheard a grown woman I know (early 50s I'd assume) rant about how the pup's colours in the paw patrol reinforce pre-determined gender roles (ie. Boy = Blue, Girl = Pink)... totally ignoring the fact that the colours are first and foremost related to most of the pups' profession (blue for police, red for fireman)... and ignoring the other pups with non-obvious gender colours (orange, green, yellow, turquoise, etc) which are given to other pups regardless of gender. 

But, the real question is, why is this 50-year old person watching a kids show... and more importantly, squinting so hard at it just to make grand-statements of hidden agenticity via gender/colours attributions? Why is this person not equally outraged that the show (and every single cartoon since the 80s) is nothing more than a vehicle to sell cheap plastic toys made in china? 

Nov 7, 21 12:16 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Wokism, just one of the many conservative bogeymen

Nov 7, 21 12:21 pm  · 
2  ·  1
proto

ANTIFA

Nov 7, 21 12:34 pm  · 
2  ·  1
proto

ILLEGAL ALIENS

Nov 7, 21 12:35 pm  · 
2  ·  1
proto

CRITICAL RACE THEORY

Nov 7, 21 12:35 pm  · 
2  ·  1
proto

ASSAULT ON CHRISTIAN VALUES

Nov 7, 21 12:36 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

ASSAULT ON GUN RIGHTS

Nov 7, 21 12:36 pm  · 
2  ·  1
proto

ASSAULT ON MY RIGHTS TO DO AS I PLEASE WITHOUT CONSIDERATION OF MY COMMUNITY

Nov 7, 21 12:37 pm  · 
3  ·  1
proto

Just a list of things that don’t really exist for most Americans but have been inflated by conservative media & social media shares into a crisis of tribalism. It’d be nice if that effort could be pointed at actual problems like a viral pandemic, poverty, education, infrastructure, funding the government beyond a year, converting the economy to run on sustainable energy, etc

Nov 7, 21 12:38 pm  · 
4  ·  1

Media is not liberal or conservative, it is corporate and well served by both parties. WMDs = Weapons of Mass Distraction.

Nov 7, 21 1:04 pm  · 
1  · 

But that is responsible governing.

Nov 7, 21 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
proto

BOTH SIDES

(bullshit apologism for weaponized conservative media)

Nov 7, 21 2:26 pm  · 
2  · 

This should be on politics central. I will just say that the conseverative movement has devolved into a bankrupt system devoid any core beliefs except for power at any cost. To argue otherwise denies the asymmetrical nature of the cultural and political landscape.

Nov 7, 21 3:14 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

My apologies to thread central…I’ll redirect or just shut it

Nov 7, 21 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sinclair Is Not Liberal

Nov 7, 21 8:05 pm  · 
1  · 

Good catch! Monopolizing local media the same way national media has been.

Nov 7, 21 8:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Miles: “Misappropriated buzzword faux progressivism“ Misappropriated how? From whom?

Nov 7, 21 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i'm much more concerned with a society that thinks marvel movies are considered "good."

Nov 8, 21 9:18 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

pretty sure this whole thing was a gimmicky insider joke intended to provoke controversy. but it totally failed because it came out about 3 days before the world shut down to deal with people everywhere fearing death by pneumonia and everyone just forgot about fake outrage. (check the date of the original item...)

Nov 8, 21 9:27 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

note that the writer of this unwritten comic was previously an editor at buzzfeed and founder of clickhole. he writes obnoxious satire for a living. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Kibblesmith

Nov 8, 21 9:39 am  · 
1  · 

My original comment still stands - why get upset about this? There are a lot of more pressing things that should have all of your attention and concern.

Nov 8, 21 10:35 am  · 
5  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Miles, not for nothing, but you've posted two sites with questionable, or obfuscatory agendas - one I'm pretty convinced was deliberately trolling - and then go on to say all media is corrupt. I don't need fake news pieces telling me that whites using "woke" to describe themselves is terribly offensive, and when magakkklan call me "woke" I also understand that their use of it is scurrilous. What I also loathe are businesses tracking in "woke-washing", that performative bullshit is equally fucked.

Nov 8, 21 12:05 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I think its hilarious.

Nov 8, 21 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Before Slick Willy deregulated the FCC there were hundreds of media companies and it was illegal to own two different media in the same market (like newspaper and television). Since that time national media has been monopolized by a handful of for-profit corporations that own multiple media in the same markets and function exactly as your Sinclair link described. Sinclair is not inventong something new - they are just mirroring national media.

To get into this a bit further, each media caters to its viewership, so 95% of people who watch Fox or read the Post don't watch MSNBC or read the NYT and vice versa. They are not providing news as much as they are serving their markets. They are self-reinforcing echo chambers.

Now throw in the Church Committee hearings that exposed journalists on CIA payroll 50 years ago. Read Carl Bernstein on the subject: http://carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.php

Nov 8, 21 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, but Miles, unless I'm mistaken, cable news doesn't follow the same rules that broadcast television have to. Now, the Fairness Doctrine, is something I believe needs to be reinstated.

Nov 8, 21 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
proto

z11s was correct that this isn't the thread for this convo

Nov 8, 21 1:14 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's a gray area, as this is as much about media, as it is about politics.

Nov 8, 21 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

The media are political (too):
”Yes it's fucking political
Everything's political
Yes it's fucking satirical
Everything's satirical
Yes it's fucking political
Everything's political”
https://youtu.be/aP-z03rfj7w

Nov 8, 21 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

For those unfamiliar with Kibblesmith, he also wrote a childrens' book about a black gay Santa Claus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa%27s_Husband). He knows what he's doing, and he's rather good at it.

Nov 8, 21 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

So now three of our eight design professionals are out of the office due to COVID.  Two have COVID (not vaccinated) and one is working from home.  This couldn't of come at a worse time.  

Nov 8, 21 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Fucking remarkable. To think, these people get trusted with actual responsibility. In this regard, I would be a horrible bos; at will, you're fired. GTFO.

Nov 8, 21 3:36 pm  · 
1  · 

Hypothetically, what if one of them is a partner . . .

Nov 8, 21 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I think we all know what you have to do.

تويتر \ Mike Adam على تويتر: "#ArianaGrande will NOT be performing or even  attending the #GRAMMYs. According to Varity, it's because of a  "disagreement with Grammy producers over which songs she would

Nov 8, 21 5:02 pm  · 
3  · 

Hypothetical torches and pitchforks

Nov 8, 21 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Better hypothetical than hypodermical.

Nov 8, 21 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Don't be fooling with me, that's not a word. ;)

Nov 8, 21 6:55 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Even worse. Thoughts and Prayers.

Nov 8, 21 7:22 pm  · 
2  · 

::racks shotgun:: You can just fuck off with that shit. :P

Nov 8, 21 7:32 pm  · 
1  · 

So I fell down my back stairs last Friday. Only four risers, but I hit every damn one on the way down, and hit the back of my head on the top riser. I'm fine, and have a glorious bruise on one butt cheek.

Problem is, I pulled a muscle in my back, and it really hurts. I'm trying to rest it and ice it (RICE, as the medical professionals say), but the biggest problem is sneezing. I'm afraid to sneeze, because it hurts and pulls the muscle again. 

But sneezing, as you smart people all know, is basically an orgasm. I've always been an enthusiastic sneezer: I enjoy it. Holding back the pleasure of a sneeze is really difficult!

Getting old sucks.  Physically, at least.

Nov 8, 21 7:41 pm  · 
9  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Jesus! Be careful!

Nov 8, 21 8:01 pm  · 
1  · 

I just want to enjoy my nose orgasms again, is that to much to ask?!?!

Nov 8, 21 10:25 pm  · 
3  · 

Donna, until you can get your nosegasms back, try looking straight up when you have to sneeze to avoid the sneeze hurting your back.

Nov 8, 21 11:17 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Nov 9, 21 12:48 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, I'm sorry to hear that! Glad you're ok. I've had a lot of back problems and know exactly what you mean about sneezing--when you have a pinched nerve it is extremely painful to sneeze. Believe it or not, when you feel a sneeze coming on, if you can hold your eyes open, the feeling will pass. It's weird--you'll be convinced that you're going to sneeze, right up until the last moment, then it feels like you just sneezed. I've done it regularly for 20 years; even just holding one eye open works, but two is easier. There are stories of people who tried this and had their eyeballs pop out, but I'm not sure I believe them, as it has always worked well for me and the explosive convulsion aspect of sneezing just doesn't happen.

Nov 9, 21 8:42 am  · 
2  · 
proto

“There are stories of people who tried this and had their eyeballs pop out, but I'm not sure I believe them”

I don’t believe them either, Donna…let us know how this works out for you! :) be sure to do a tiktok selfie when you attempt it

Nov 9, 21 10:23 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Aha, "proof" that it's safe: https://www.healthline.com/health/can-you-sneeze-with-your-eyes-open

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/sneezing-with-your-eyes-open-wont-make-them-pop-out-but-you-can-vomit-your-lenses-loose/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161209081007.htm

These articles also say that it's possible to sneeze with your eyes open, but after using this trick hundreds of times it has always worked for me.

Nov 9, 21 11:21 am  · 
 · 

That's false news WG. My cousins, friends, barbers, niece did that and her ovaries fell off.

Nov 9, 21 11:25 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Chad, I forgot to mention that you have to hold your breath or else that can happen. Or for guys, you could lose your testicles. (Still worth it to avoid the nerve jolt of sneezing with a bad back.)

Nov 9, 21 1:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Good to know!

Nov 9, 21 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

My manners are backward, Donna =O[ I should've posted a get-better-soon wish before any 'gasm-related humor. I hope you're doing better today, and are sneezing your brains out before you know it =O]

Nov 9, 21 4:17 pm  · 
1  · 

I too went right with the jokes before wishing Donna a speedy recovery. I'm a bad person.

Get better soon Donna! 

Nov 9, 21 5:03 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

get well soon. when you feel the need to sneeze, take a shot of bourbon. i think that's how you're supposed to age.

Nov 9, 21 7:58 pm  · 
1  · 

get well soon. when you feel the need to sneeze, think of Brad Pitt.

Nov 9, 21 8:12 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

"Or for guys, you could lose your testicles."

They don't fall off, they just get pulled up inside, never to be seen again...

Nov 11, 21 6:26 pm  · 
1  · 

Lunch with my dad in deep North Scottsdale. When I was growing up here this was all virgin desert that I rode my bike and caught horny toads in. Now I drink margaritas here. 

Nov 11, 21 3:36 pm  · 
8  · 

You could still ride your bike, catch horny toads, AND drink margaritas there.  :)

Nov 11, 21 3:38 pm  · 
2  · 

Tacos and tequila, mmmm!

Nov 11, 21 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Age and perspective are just intense. I grew up in Scottsdale and even as a kid I LOVED vernacular architecture responses to the crazy heat. I know we can live delicately with the earth, but Scottsdale shouldn’t exist. It’s completely wrong.

Nov 11, 21 6:28 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Looks like you're feeling better, Donna. Yay! And in that great photo you look like the beautiful Laura Linney, for whom I have a soft spot. Well... not soft, actually, but um... nevermind. Glad you're back.

Nov 11, 21 8:19 pm  · 
1  · 

I like this photo of me. I look happy, and I’m with my dad, talking about my mom, so yes I was happy.

Nov 11, 21 11:58 pm  · 
5  · 
deepshah1991

it is indeed a lovely picture donna.:)

Nov 12, 21 11:58 am  · 
2  · 

Cosanti Foundation today. 

Nov 12, 21 12:16 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

I love Arcosanti.

Nov 12, 21 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

citizen, this is just Cosanti, the mini-me version in Paradise Valley. Unfortunately I don’t have time to get up to Arcosanti this trip.

Nov 12, 21 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Ah... I didn't know of such a place. Did you buy a bell?

Nov 12, 21 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

I already have a couple of bells, but I did buy a ceramic coaster.

Nov 12, 21 4:39 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

I’m currently interviewing at places. Every single place they want someone who can do the work of two or three people. I have the skills and experience they need - I can fill all of these roles, but they really need three people. I’m not going to work 12 hour days because you can’t properly staff projects.

I’m getting to the point where I think I will take a pay cut and go work in the public sector. That or we need a union.

Nov 13, 21 11:42 am  · 
4  · 
square.

at least in the public sector you'll have predictable hours, loads of days off, and great benefits. i wish this had been presented as an option in school- i probably would have a very different path.

Nov 13, 21 1:43 pm  · 
2  · 
geezertect

A union will never happen. Go for the public sector option. Square is right about schools not giving students a full view of the employment options and the advantages/disadvantages of them.

Nov 13, 21 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I went to type "agreed" but instead got "GREED" because my caps lock was on. Quite fitting because thats all it is - greed by firm owners and principals. 

I've been passively looking for jobs and it is really depressing. Everyone wants me (or someone like me) to come work for them, but no one wants to pay what we're worth. 12 years experience, licensed for 8, have helmed multiple $100MM+ projects from start to finish, puts together sets, coordinates, mentors, contributes to firm culture. We'll pay you $75k/ year and you'll probably work 3000 hours, but isn't it a great opportunity?

Nov 15, 21 11:06 am  · 
1  · 

Seriously, Scottsdale is ridiculous and shouldn’t exist.

Nov 13, 21 1:33 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

So it's 87 degrees here this afternoon, emerging from Starbucks to drive home.  First up on the radio is Johnny Mathis crooning "Deck The Halls" on the Christmas Carol FM station.  Kill me now. 

Nov 13, 21 4:58 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

Sorry, you're whining about the Christmas Carol station playing Christmas songs?

Nov 14, 21 12:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I saw snow thursday.

Nov 14, 21 12:33 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Nah, just joking. I don't really want someone to kill me.

Nov 14, 21 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

At least it wasn't Christmas Shoes.

Nov 15, 21 10:20 am  · 
 · 

citizen - good thing you said something when you did. I was just able to get a hold of my guy.

Nov 15, 21 10:53 am  · 
1  · 

I went climbing yesterday. That's something I never imagined doing before dropping the weight. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I did not injure my Revit hand.

Nov 15, 21 10:20 am  · 
6  · 

Isn't it fun! Just stay away from trad climbing. That is unless you have a bunch of disposable income and want to cause pain to your hands and feet. It is fun though . . .

Nov 15, 21 10:52 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Fun! Did you go to an indoor gym? I enjoyed climbing when I was young--top-roping outdoors or occasionally indoors, nothing too extreme, but it was fun and challenging. Even at 48 years old I still enjoy climbing trees.

Nov 15, 21 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Indoor gym - did an intro "learn to climb" session. Had a lot of fun, could not bring myself to trust the Autobelay...until I fell on one of my end climbs. Will definitely do again, and was very surprised that I was able to climb the 30/40 foot walls with relative ease (based on my expectations/past experience)

Nov 15, 21 11:39 am  · 
6  · 
SneakyPete

I don't like autobelays. Then again one time I climbed an entire pitch only to find my partner set up the anchor incorrectly so I had basically soloed the entire thing...

Nov 15, 21 4:15 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Ignore Chad's advice, Trad is the best climbing, and as long as you stay within your grade range, you can basically hike vertically up through 5.8 (which in some gym grades is like 5.10c) without hurting your hands. Trad is also where the best views are. Trad 4 life.

Nov 15, 21 4:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

There is snow on the ground today...

Nov 15, 21 11:11 am  · 
5  · 

That's what you get for living in Canada.

Nov 15, 21 11:42 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

sorry

Nov 15, 21 12:04 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

be thankful

Nov 15, 21 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It's snowing/raining here and currently -2c. Not bad for this time of year, except that a couple of weeks ago I gutted my second floor and we haven't had ANY insulation up there since. None. Not even the walls. To say I'm stressed about that would be a bit of an understatement. Fuuuuuu....

Nov 15, 21 8:24 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

i don't think our local ski opening day is happening until well after thanksgiving :(

Nov 16, 21 2:49 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

We have lots of snow. For once I am happy to be living on the east side of the mountains as poor BC took her hard the last few days

Nov 16, 21 4:06 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

doesn't look like skiing here either

Nov 16, 21 4:18 pm  · 
1  · 

This sucks. 

My mom fell and broke her hip.  She's nearly mid 60's and the 65 pound red lab they have knocked her down the stairs. 

She just had a full hip replacement today.  She's fine and will recover completely.  It's really weird to realize that your not that old parents are in fact older and frailer than you'd like to believe. 

Nov 16, 21 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

sorry to hear that...i hope she's back walking the dog soon!

Nov 16, 21 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry to hear that. My father (61/62 at the time and fit-enough for his age) slipped on ice a few years back and landed on some log. Broke all his ribs and needed to be hospitalized for a week. I think it humbled him very quickly. Hope all gets better quickly.

Nov 16, 21 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the kind words. She's doing great and is already out of the hospital and walking around. Not sure how she'll handle the stairs at the house though. I may be working remotely from their place for a bit.

The dog is going up for adoption.  Red (dogo) is a good girl but really strong.  Also my mom is small so Red is just over half her weight.  My wife won't let us take in Red.  

Nov 16, 21 3:07 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

That sucks, both your mom breaking her hip and not being able to take the dog :-(

Nov 16, 21 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah. I think my mom will heal up just fine. She's a strong person. Red is a good girl.

My wife is just not comfortable with big dogs. I'm sure we'll find a good home for the dog.  Say, would you like to get a nice dog Rando?  :)  I bet she could pull you on your bike!  You wouldn't need to take the train then!  :P

Nov 16, 21 3:36 pm  · 
1  · 

I’m sorry to hear but glad your mom is improving! Getting older definitely shows one how brittle our bodies can become, but also at ANY age any one of us can have a sudden event that changes our physical being dramatically. Be grateful for every single healthy day!

Nov 17, 21 12:57 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

That's a shame all around, Chad. Very glad to hear that your mom's on the mend.  And totally agreed on the shock at examples of parents' aging and growing frailty... it catches us by surprise.

Nov 17, 21 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what happened to this? I can't find it, somebody called to take it down?

Nov 17, 21 12:22 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

now the thumbnail disappeared from the news, odd.

Nov 17, 21 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Poorly-written stub news piece... drew criticism from 2 regulars and then it was nuked.

Nov 17, 21 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 

I actually preferred it to the regular corporate press release news fare. But I suspect that calling a billionaire an asshole is not going to be endearing to advertisers. For all the talk about climate change and saving the planet we continue to help the rich ruin it.

Nov 17, 21 12:44 pm  · 
5  · 
JLC-1

looks like the guy actually calls and requests this kind of thing "In late 2019, emails obtained by The Boston Globe showed Ackman requesting that the then MIT Media Lab director avoid naming his wife (Oxman) when responding to press inquiries about a $150,000 gift given to her lab in 2015 by Jeffrey Epstein."

Nov 17, 21 1:02 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

It was dripping politics. I was about to ask that it be moved to P. Central, but it looks that someone beat me to it.

Nov 17, 21 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

I may have accidentally caused its death when I commented that in my mind when I hear the word “plutocrat” I think “asshole”. Sorry.

Nov 17, 21 2:24 pm  · 
1  · 

The article called him an asshole, and Foster by association. Correctly, from where I stand.

Nov 17, 21 2:33 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

fun fact that i did not know.. ackman and neri oxman are hitched. couldn't write better fiction.

Nov 17, 21 4:14 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Maybe overly-petty but I lost a little respect for Neri when she shacked up with a billionaire hedge fund bro.

Nov 18, 21 12:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

hey now, looks like my awesome and appropriate snarky response to the construction loan thread got nuked and I’m locked from commenting? Booo urns. 

Nov 17, 21 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Please point me the direction of that article.

Nov 17, 21 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

I can see your comment . . .

Nov 17, 21 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, it’s back, as are my posting proveledges. Suspicious eyes.

Nov 17, 21 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

You have some type of power we don't know about.

Nov 17, 21 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wow, that Canadian snark is strong stuff! (Or is it snarke? I can never remember.)

Nov 17, 21 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

There should be a little line over the e.

Nov 17, 21 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

snarké

Nov 17, 21 8:51 pm  · 
2  · 

Fancy!

Nov 17, 21 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Fancé

Nov 18, 21 10:16 am  · 
2  · 

Stop writing in Canadian. I can't understand what you're saying.

Nov 18, 21 10:55 am  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Chad. I. Know. You're. From. Min. Ne. So. Ta. So. I'll. Speak. Slow. Ly.

Nov 18, 21 12:50 pm  · 
2  · 

If you're not going to properly incorporate 'uff-da' into your posts then you can just shove off! ;)

Nov 18, 21 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Fifty five years old, practicing for 35 years, and I still have days like today when I just feel like I don’t know what the fuck I’m doing. <sigh> hoping for a better day tomorrow. 

I am good at laundry, though.

Nov 17, 21 11:30 pm  · 
5  · 

Confidence is key. Not just for laundry.

Nov 17, 21 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

There's that inconvenient humanity showing itself again, Donna. Being reminded that others (even over-achievers) make blunders and survive helps the rest of us.

Nov 18, 21 12:31 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

A couple years ago I made what I was sure was a project-ending, boneheaded mistake. I should have known better, even with my limited experience. I went to the project principal, tail between my legs, prepared to beg for forgiveness. He shrugged and said "Hey, that's why we call it an architecture practice." and then we worked on a solution together. I say that line to myself at least once a week. 

It's fine, good even, to occasionally feel like you don't know what you're doing. Go take a walk, get a fancy coffee. That usually shakes loose whatever mental block I'm having.

Nov 18, 21 12:08 pm  · 
5  · 

I learned quickly that if you make a mistake, own up to it, then work on fixing it. In my role now, as long as someone does that - it's all good and a teachable moment that is overcome...and far better than someone hiding it and it becoming a massive headache down the line.

Nov 18, 21 12:47 pm  · 
5  · 

The older I get the more I realize how much I don't know.

Nov 18, 21 1:02 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, you just need to channel some middle-aged white guy confidence. I've had a couple weeks where my natural lack of confidence but relatively solid knowledge has been overshadowed by those who think they know a lot more than they do. I try to remind myself that I, too, can have that level of unfounded confidence--I just need to take it, as my skin color, chromosome balance and birth place demand!

Nov 18, 21 1:04 pm  · 
5  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is something architects should memorize, and quote, frequently;

Nov 20, 21 10:51 am  · 
6  · 

I need this reminder this morning:

Nov 20, 21 7:28 am  · 
4  · 
proto

I find going outside for a few hours untethered to a device is good for a few deep breaths & allows the muscles around my neck & shoulders to find their original god given position

Nov 20, 21 11:05 am  · 
3  · 

I should have taken PTO today

Nov 24, 21 11:11 am  · 
4  · 
archanonymous

Because things are going shitty, or because no one else is working?

Nov 24, 21 11:44 am  · 
 · 

The latter plus I don't have anything urgent, for once.

Nov 24, 21 11:52 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I don't see the issue. Do fun stuff all day and get paid for it?

Nov 24, 21 12:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, there is a decent fire burning in the EIFS central thread.

Nov 24, 21 1:00 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

@NS - that's because it got behind the EIFS into the combustible foam insulation and is just slowly smoldering before flashing out and consuming the whole thread and everyone inside it.

Nov 24, 21 1:02 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

if dumpsters were made of EIFS, no one would ever get cold.

Nov 24, 21 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

If I wanted to deal with EIFS, I'd go back to working on luxury student housing. We're typically not allowed to use it on the Affordable side.

Nov 24, 21 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Happy engorgement day eve everybody!  May your pants not buckle under tomorrow's stress.  I need some reinforcement details from my engineer, STAT, something belts and suspenders, if you will pardon the pun.

Nov 24, 21 3:44 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Ah, the festival of delicious carbohydrates (once you get past the poultry)! Unbuttoning is a great stress reliever, I find. (Of course, it may add stress to those nearby.)

Nov 24, 21 7:37 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Happy Thanksgiving, fuckers!

Nov 25, 21 7:26 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

An insightful and inspiring National Day of Mourning!

Nov 25, 21 8:02 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You're a lot less interesting when you're trying to troll.

Nov 25, 21 9:21 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Just doing my part being inclusive...

Nov 25, 21 10:08 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Mhm.

Nov 26, 21 8:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Damn.

Nov 28, 21 1:42 pm  · 
2  · 

Jinx! I've mostly been lurking on forum lately but TC/y'all is first place/folks I thought of when I saw news just now.

Nov 28, 21 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Tragic news, he's done a lot in such a short time span and become a huge name in the fashion and design industry.

Nov 29, 21 7:21 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm torn on whether to care or not. On the one hand, was a great role model and representation for Black Americans and everyone who has been underrepresented and frozen out of the design industry. On the other, he mostly worked for a brand catering to the 1% creating shit that nobody needs, using resources better allocated elsewhere.

Nov 29, 21 10:06 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

See here's the thing though, I don't care if Black creators make bank, no one shits on athletes who do the same, actors, or musicians. But people want to hold Black architects, and artists to some mythic standard. I think it's bullshit. His representation, and commitment to his people, those acts speak louder than any Gucci, or Louis Vuitton bag.

Nov 29, 21 10:17 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I don't follow professional sports, popular music, or hollywood. I do follow architecture and design, and beyond the achievements in representation, I don't see a lot to celebrate. Blue-chip art that will be bought by the 1% and speaks only to itself? Luxury handbags and clothing that nobody needs? "Design" isn't some vague platitude - it's the creation of real things that take real resources and really impact lives.

Nov 29, 21 10:54 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes, and you're holding a beloved Black creator to account for systems not created by them, to actuate change of those systems. Stop. If one child sees value in his example, and grows to build on that world, and makes the world better, then I don't give af. As an aside, I don't believe one word of what you wrote. Design is so fucking entwined in everything you supposedly don't follow, that your statement is either deception, or a con you've bought into.

Nov 29, 21 11:06 am  · 
2  · 
square.

i think arch's nuance here is appropriate, in terms of evaluating legacy, and one i struggle with when it comes to elite architecture, let alone luxury fashion; imo, all individuals need to be held accountable in some regard in relation to the way they choose to engage with broader systems (some "choices" are inevitable, others are not).

obviously what is not debatable is the tragedy of his early death, and many of the positive qualities abloh brought to design at large (i think the og comment was a bit callous in that regard).

Nov 29, 21 11:09 am  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Sorry to anyone who found my comment callous or offensive. Anytime someone passes the world loses part of what makes it distinct and I'm sure his family and friends are deeply affected. 

I suppose my point was - if we're going to parasocially mourn him, let's do so based on the gains and lives impacted due to advances in representation, not because he was a designer of luxury goods. And even that is somewhat problematic for me. I would be happy if no one else ever aspired to produce vapid blue-chip art or luxury handbags, no matter what color their skin is.

Nov 29, 21 2:02 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Even though his designs stood for lots that I despise in the shallow world of art and design (I do believe his work was often a cheeky commentary on it by embracing the shallowness wholeheartedly) yet his achievements and impact on pop culture can’t be denied...what he did for fashion Andy Warhol did for the arts. A tragic loss for the (creative) community at large, and as a parent of two young kids myself can’t help but think of his family...Damn indeed.

Nov 29, 21 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The man set up a $1 million dollar scholarship for future Black designers. I'm sure he's given back, where most don't.

Nov 29, 21 3:17 pm  · 
3  · 

He was also a kick ass designer and inspiring AF. Why deny that accomplishment for the sake of a definition of what design should be? I loved his work personally and am sad that he died young enough that we can only wonder at what he would have done, given more time.

Dec 5, 21 9:40 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

For anyone interested in the business end of things and how we can set up businesses for triple bottom line success, this week's BS + Beer Show will be a good one--two consultants who are unusually well qualified to discuss the topic, and two business owners at a somewhat famous design/build firm. https://mailchi.mp/4b71c59c2e7...

Nov 29, 21 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: