Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

THIS IS NOT A ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT!

This is a loft. The number of units I’m having to sift through that *say* they are one bedroom, but don’t HAVE A WINDOW in what they call a bedroom, is wasting so much of my time. <hashtag first world problems> <hashtag same with job postings for IT “architects” too>

Sep 25, 21 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

the south loop is full of these. it seems to be a neighborhood specialty from the 2004-2006 condo bubble there. i can see the speckled granite counters and dark cherry veneers without even looking!

Sep 25, 21 8:12 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

On the upside, pretty easy to get your morning coffee. Depending on the furniture arrangement, you may not even need to get out of bed. Score!

Sep 25, 21 9:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

In the IRC, if you have a sprinkler system, mechanical ventilation and artificial lighting, you don't need a window. Is the same true for commercial projects?

Sep 26, 21 10:49 am  · 
 · 

I don't know, but in all of these units the "bedroom" walls stop shy of the ceiling. So it's a bed alcove, not a room.

Sep 26, 21 11:59 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

What does the code say? The realtors are almost certainly mislabeling the alcove a bedroom. It's shocking-- shocking!-- I know, but pretty common.  

(Realtor: "Is there any way we could call this two bathrooms?"  Other realtor: "Well, they could pee in the kitchen sink.  That's at least a powder room.")

Sep 26, 21 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

The IBC doesn't require a bedroom to have a window if the building is sprinkled with mechanical ventilation. Unless there are revisions to the IBC or the AHJ has additional requirements then the space above is a bedroom. One of the walls not going up the ceiling doesn't impact the space being called a bedroom.

Weird I know . . . 

Sep 26, 21 6:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, I see these everywhere in all the new condo brochures in my area. Don't think they call them (officially, at least) 1bed... but I do see "studio loft" used often. Code in my area allows a sleeping space tucked away from windows like your example if the half-wall is less than 60% of the total opening. They should just infill with glass block.

Sep 26, 21 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

don't do much residential, so maybe it's an NFPA 101 thing, as that governs in GA, but you need a means of egress and a means of escape from every bedroom... you don't need a window (could provide two doors) but you do need two separate ways out, sprinklered or not... the loophole that some genius found was to not create a room in the first place. Then some other person put a partial-height knee wall in front of the "not-room" and then still others put a kitchen wall on that.... so now we have these "not rooms" with as little as 12" of opening at the ceiling. TL:DR I flag this on all my QC reviews but the multi-fam studio of which I'm not a part swears it's kosher. Waiting for some higher ups in the AHJ world to grow a pair and directly address this.

Sep 27, 21 9:23 am  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

NFPA 101 2018 (was in 2012 also) 30.2.1.2 for apartments (same for dorms and some other sections) kick back to 24.2 for one- and two-family dwellings.

24.2.2.1.1 in dwellings or dwelling units of two rooms or more, every sleeping room and every living area shall not have less than one primary means of escape and one secondary means of escape.  further sections describe the secondary means of escape as possibly a window, primary must be your standard door/exit, window itself has requirements on size/location.

There are also rules on requiring 2 primary means of escape, including unsprinklered buildings (looking at you warehouse retrofits) but almost all your typical work is going to end up in the 1 primary and 1 secondary category, which is why people who don't read code every day simplify it to "doesn't there need to be a window?"

Sep 27, 21 9:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't think Donna is looking at this from a code standpoint though. However, it is quite common for large scale multi family to have bedrooms without windows, this is not remarkable. What has been remarkable, for me, is to see 600 sf and smaller, one bedroom apartments.

Sep 27, 21 9:37 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Next time you're in one of those unremarkable windowless bedrooms, please confirm that it's a sleeping unit for the dwelling unit and if it has 2 means of escape. If not, and if it's in a place that NFPA governs, then I'm confused how it got built except for uninformed AHJs.

Sep 27, 21 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Josef - simple. The AHJ has chosen not to adopt that portion of the NFPA.

Sep 27, 21 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

B3, what is remarkable about 600sf 1-bed apartments? I've designed a couple of single family homes that are that size, and the owners say they're very comfortable.

Sep 27, 21 10:43 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

For $1500 plus a month?

Sep 27, 21 11:37 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What's remarkable about them is the price being asked is only possible with two or more adults living there.

Sep 27, 21 11:38 am  · 
 · 

This is what happens when property rights are more important than human rights.

Sep 27, 21 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, you could just buy my historic 1908 ironspot brick two-flat instead.

Sep 27, 21 12:37 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Once stayed in a hotel room in Shanghai that didn’t have any windows. Truly horrible experience, you lose all sense of time as you can’t connect to the outside environment, it felt like being locked up in an isolation cell. It should be forbidden to call this cupboard a bedroom (master!) and it most likely is judging from the comments...

Sep 27, 21 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 

I've done apartment designs like this for various adaptive reuse projects. Typically I've installed clearstory windows and light shelves above the kitchen cabinets to allow some borrowed light into the bedroom. Seemed to provide a good deal of indirect light into the bedroom.

Sep 27, 21 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

b3tadine[sutures] wrote:

" For $1500 plus a month?"

Back in 2002 my one bedroom, 525 sf apartment was $725 a month.  This was in Duluth MN.  I did have uncovered, off street parking, all utilities paid,  and a great view of Lake Superior.   

Sep 27, 21 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
square.

one thing that would (surprisingly) not happen in nyc - windows req in (new) bedrooms, although i'm not as clear on existing/adaptive, i think you could potentially get away with this.

Sep 28, 21 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

So yeah, highly recommend Acadia NP for your next nature outing/vacation.

Sep 27, 21 2:02 pm  · 
6  · 

Never been there. I take it you had a good time. ;)

Got any pics!?

Sep 27, 21 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Nice photos! Glad you enjoyed it.

Sep 27, 21 5:56 pm  · 
1  · 

Here's my smiling face about 1000' up a summit hike.

Sep 27, 21 6:01 pm  · 
8  · 

Damn cool Josh. Also - looking damn good man!

Sep 28, 21 3:02 pm  · 
3  · 

Somehow I got on an email list that was sold to a bunch of head hunters and recruiters. The only thing is, it wasn't a list of potential candidates ... it was a list of potential employers. They think I run the company or do the hiring. 

I'm used to getting random emails from head hunters saying, "I saw your LinkedIn and I think you'd be a good fit for this position ... yada yada yada." This is the first time they are emailing me saying, "I've got a bunch of resumes here that might be a good fit for your company." And it's happening a lot these past weeks so something changed recently.

I'm also getting spam from the CEO Club, so there's that too. Can I thank AIA for selling my data?

Sep 28, 21 2:47 pm  · 
2  · 

I HATE that.

Sep 28, 21 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

wouldn't mind actually seeing that

Sep 28, 21 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

I keep getting the 'we've looked at your experience and think you'd be a great fit for this local firm' I'm then shown a bunch of jobs for people in the 4-6 year or 25+ year experience range.  In Nebraska.  

I'm in Colorado. 

Sep 30, 21 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Seeing the email or seeing the resumes? Here's the email ...

Hi [Everyday Architect],

I am reaching out because I placed a Project Manager at a client this morning and during my search I interviewed a few highly qualified individuals that are starting to look for a new opportunity. Each one of these candidates has a proven track record and are just now entering the market for a new home.

That being said [EA], would you or someone else at [Firm Name] be interested in taking a look at one of these resumes? Keep in mind, my service is 100% free until you hire one of my candidates.

Please let me know if you would like to review a resume of one of these candidates.

Thank you,
[Name]
Principal Recruiter

Sep 30, 21 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Dang.  We're busy at our office. 

We're going to get a lot more busy when two local bonds pass and we're awarded a couple of big projects.  We need 2-3 more more people in that elusive 4-6 year experience range.  

I'm glad we have so much work but dang. 

Sep 28, 21 3:07 pm  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

that is definitely not our "elusive" range... 10-15 seems the tough spot for us

Sep 28, 21 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

I've got 15ish years experience so I guess I'm 'elusive'. :)

Sep 28, 21 3:47 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Anyone else not seeing the comments on articles? Is it broken?

Sep 30, 21 11:41 am  · 
1  · 

Same for me. Not all articles, and not all comments, but yes there appear to be some that are not showing.

Sep 30, 21 12:06 pm  · 
2  · 

On the subway article that's probably me. Some jackass said he wouldn't miss the subway and I let him have it.

Sep 30, 21 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

lol, I almost made a joke about it being Miles' comments that were being removed but decided against it.

Sep 30, 21 5:07 pm  · 
3  · 

Miles, did you also make comments on the AECOM & NASA and the Obama Presidential Center articles?

Sep 30, 21 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Nope. Plenty to say about BO but I held my tongue.

Sep 30, 21 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, something weird is going on with News comments. I just had to block a spammer, and the BO Library thread supposedly has 3 comments but I don't see any, AND I have randomized set to ignore but I'm seeing their posts. Some wires crossed somewhere!

Oct 2, 21 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

How's your day going?

Oct 1, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

not at the met so far

Oct 1, 21 5:39 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Well, it got worse, two hours later.

Oct 1, 21 10:44 pm  · 
2  · 
polyhedraldesign

yall I miss architecture. how do I go back?

Oct 1, 21 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Am I doing this right?

Oct 2, 21 11:08 am  · 
6  · 

I'm guessing Kanye wasn't available?

Oct 2, 21 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

He's doing community outreach for the program.

Oct 2, 21 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Damn, today was a good day.

Oct 2, 21 10:37 pm  · 
3  · 
joseffischer

That tower just looks off to me, like not enough. Makes me think the GC poured foundations, ordered the bridge short, and convinced the arch to go through a VE exercise from hell to get the building to slowly lean enough to reach the short bridge.

Oct 4, 21 8:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That’s exactly why I like that building!

Oct 4, 21 1:21 pm  · 
2  · 

So this is totally TMI but I’m never embarrassed of personal things LOL. I am getting my first ever colonoscopy tomorrow. Which means no food for me today, and I’m being a total whiny baby about it. It sucks.

Oct 6, 21 1:06 pm  · 
1  · 

I’m so hangry.

Oct 6, 21 1:07 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

If you eat you'll have a really shitty colonoscopy.

Oct 6, 21 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

is Bourbon allowed?

Oct 6, 21 2:42 pm  · 
1  · 

Bourbon *should* be allowed because it’s a clear liquid, but the rules include No Alcohol. Sucks.

Oct 6, 21 3:20 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

"If your bourbon is clear... you might not be drinking bourbon"

-Ghandi.

Oct 6, 21 3:21 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Boooo!

Oct 6, 21 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

“Clear” meaning transparent, not opaque.

Oct 6, 21 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Good luck tomorrow, Donna. As inconvenient as it is, it's nice to have it all done for ten years. Fun fact: if you prep properly and completely empty out, anyone standing next to you can hear the ocean! ;O]

Oct 6, 21 4:20 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I hope it went well! I had my first colonscopy a few months ago. Started early (47) due to family history. Everyone complains about the prep but I didn't find it bad at all. Guess I was lucky.

My only request at every step of the way was that my mom has a bad reaction to fentanyl, their typical sedative, and we tend to have similar physiology so I didn't want that one. Everyone said no problem--literally like six different people at different stages. Until they were about to put the gas mask on and told me I was getting fentanyl. I sat up and said I was not comfortable proceeding, even though the surgeon was there and ready to start. I hate the health care system and how they shuffle people through like we don't matter, versus providing a service, which is their actual role. So I had no problems with leaving. They scrambled and with just an hour delay they managed to find an anesthesiologist who could administer a non-fentanyl sedative (I forget the name) and everything proceeded as normal.

The follow-up was that it was good that I went--they had to remove a few polyps--and that although my insurance would cover a screening, because they found polyps it became a procedure which is not covered. So I have a $4,000 bill for the day. Could be worse, but the US medical system is terrible, especially in a state like mine where there are far from enough doctors.

Oct 8, 21 12:15 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Wood Guy, good job sticking to your guns. Passivity is a scourge amongst the majority of great people I know, only the pricks seem to be comfortable having an active point of view.

Oct 8, 21 1:05 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

so looking for growths is covered, but finding them isn't...

Oct 8, 21 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

are you able to post a comment?

Oct 7, 21 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

nevermind.

Oct 7, 21 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
tintt

Glad you worked it out, Orhan!

Oct 7, 21 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

For the news items on the main page, the comments are all over the place (says 2, but there's only one comment; says 1, but there are none on any that I clicked on). Something afoot deep in the bowels of archinect, maybe?

Oct 8, 21 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

yeah i am still seeing some news items that indicate 1 or more comments, but none are visible

Oct 8, 21 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Got all sets from consultants before 9:30 this morning. Nice start to Friday.

Oct 8, 21 12:01 pm  · 
8  · 
SneakyPete

Go snag a lottery ticket.

Oct 8, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Whoa I would never make a deadline on a Friday. That would have been a Thursday, noon thing. You're tempting fate! Glad it worked out.

Oct 8, 21 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 

It's a small 4,000 SF building and they requested the Friday deadline to give themselves more time - that they apparently didn't need.

Oct 8, 21 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

WOOHOO!

Oct 10, 21 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

PM on my job (PA this time for me) set Friday at 5 for the 50% deadline set. Oct 8 and 11th are the school's fall break days, so I needed everyone on site verifying scope and plans of attack. The existing set we were provided was scant. I tried to help by reminding everyone it was just a 50% and asking them to print sometime around Wednesday, get the sheets uploaded to ACC for use onsite and have a 3PM thurs meeting to go over plan of attack. PM thought it best that everyone reprint on Friday to capture any extra work. TL:DR, she was in office until 8:30 PM collating, catching serious flaws, reprinting herself. I didn't get involved, left the school site around 4ish and went home. I only feel slightly guilty.

Oct 11, 21 10:07 am  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

Is this normal for a firm this size? I don't know, it feels dirty to be owned by a money machine.....https://archinect.com/news/art...

Oct 11, 21 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Depends on which end of the machine you're on. I'm sure the partners are guiltlessly enjoying the big payday they just elected for themselves.

Oct 11, 21 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

of course they are, I just don't understand the greed. my bad. I don't think it depends on which end you are, you are still owned by a corp. whose only purpose is to increase profit. I dunno, I would guess quality and level of service would suffer under bean counters.

Oct 11, 21 2:00 pm  · 
3  · 

Boutique firms sweat out every detail. Corporate firms sweat out every penny.

Oct 11, 21 3:10 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

I didn't realize that Foster and Partners was 1500 people! That's huge!!!! 

For comparison, I think Perkins and Will is owned by the Saudis. Gensler is employee/ Gensler family owned. SOM is owned by the partners.

Oct 11, 21 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not surprised given the trend of the larger firms to end up being bought by conglomerates. Callison RTKL is owned by Arcadis I think. Gensler and SOM are probably the outliers on firms that size.

Oct 11, 21 5:46 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Yeah I was wondering about HOK, IA, HDR, some of the other big ones? I feel like there's also some giant firms in Japan.

Oct 11, 21 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

foster sold shares to PE back before the financial crisis. he is a shrewd businessman. HOK got in trouble decades ago selling a large stake to a construction consortium. callison was owned by a PE group before selling to arcadis. its fairly common in larger firms - at some point they are too big for anyone in the industry to buy, too expensive for associates to buy in, and partners still want their payout.

Oct 11, 21 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

also, foster made his name designing buildings for money machines. why wouldn't he be comfortable working among them?

Oct 11, 21 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

ref for the 2007 sale, which they bought back. presumably helped FP keep going through the financial crisis. the new sale is different - clearly an exit for foster and the most senior partners who are plenty old enough to retire https://www.3i.com/media-centre/corporate-and-portfolio-news/2014/3i-to-make-a-18x-return-on-the-sale-of-its-minority-stake-in-foster-plus-partners/

Oct 11, 21 11:30 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Fuck late stage capitalism. Just die already so we can face reality without the protection of our social media addiction.

Oct 12, 21 12:28 pm  · 
5  · 
JLC-1

This picture got me thinking the invention of cad was a plot to fit 4 heads where only 1 could be before

Oct 13, 21 1:45 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

So CAD is a tube of anal lubricant?

Oct 13, 21 4:40 pm  · 
3  · 

I think the idea of CAD was to replace 4 draftsmen. Not that it worked out that way ... now the idea of CAD is to rent you the ability to work.

Oct 13, 21 7:11 pm  · 
6  · 
tintt

CAD was invented so we could draft to the 256th of an inch.

Oct 14, 21 1:28 am  · 
4  · 
randomised

As with every technological "innovation" CAD was invented to pay fewer and lower salaries and benefits...

Oct 14, 21 8:15 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

I love redrawing manufacturer's standard details into my drawing so the lineweights read better. I. LOVE. IT.

Oct 14, 21 11:45 am  · 
6  · 
tintt

sneakypete, this is one of my favorite things to do as well.

Oct 14, 21 11:56 am  · 
1  · 
tintt

I am right now trying to add up 1/16ths of an inch to get correct values for a SITE PLAN. ONE PIECE OF SAND CAN AND WILL DESTROY ALL!!!

Oct 14, 21 11:57 am  · 
5  · 
joseffischer

this entire thread really needs to be moved into the rant post at this point.

Oct 14, 21 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Rant Central

Oct 14, 21 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
proto

not many architecture offices have drafting pools anymore -- the architects are almost all drawing from internship on...so we have that going for us...which is nice

Oct 14, 21 2:27 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Hmmm. I don't know. I think it leads to lots of dissatisfaction amongst young people. Should architects and draftspeople be the same person, or separate people?

Oct 14, 21 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I don't mind doing both... I do mind doing both people's jobs as one person at the price of the draftsman... because "revit efficiencies"

Oct 14, 21 3:07 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

bim =//= less time

...shit, it is >5x the server space of a cad project too

Oct 14, 21 4:07 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

the cost of a hard drive has fallen by something like 41% per year. it's a hell of a lot faster, cheaper, easier, and probably more secure to store on server space rather than a flat file or hanging file.

Oct 17, 21 10:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Firms mostly use cloud based servers.

Oct 17, 21 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 

Hey tduds, have you seen the movie Pig? I loooooooved it, because it felt so true to my experience of the restaurant scene in Portland in the 90s, but I’m wondering if you felt the same? I haven’t been to Portland in 15 years!

Oct 16, 21 10:17 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Yes! Might be the best movie we've seen this year. The Portland of the film definitely feels true enough to the Portland of real life, and so "lived in" that all the characters' motivations make perfect sense. Nevermind the deep, deep love of food and the understanding of the connections that food can create.

Oct 18, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

Just got back from deer hunting in Minnesota.  I managed to get a couple of does within 15 yards but decided to let them pass.  I did manage to take three of the five coyotes that followed them 10 minutes later.  

Oct 18, 21 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you eat coyotes? if not, why did you kill them?

Oct 18, 21 12:44 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Seems backwards to me but I know people dislike coyotes and find deer to be impossibly cute. They are cute, but also tasty and over-populated, partly due to not having enough predators...

Oct 18, 21 1:10 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

We also love our shrubs in our yards and we cut woods down into tiny little patches, the ideal habitat for deer.

Oct 18, 21 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is coyote good eatn'?

Oct 18, 21 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

The coyotes in this particular area are now overpopulated and have become very aggressive. The Department of Natural Resources has tried for the last five years to reduce the numbers with increased hunting tags for the animals. Unfortunately this didn't work and the DNR has now declared them an invasive species. As such they are now a shoot on site animal with no limit or permit needed. This classification will expire January 1 2022. Only the second time in 35 years this has happened.

I normally don't kill anything that I'm not going to eat.  These coyotes high numbers, their aggressive nature, and  combined with the fact I was hunting from the ground made me decide to shoot them.  I did try to scare them off via yelling and throwing various sticks at them.  

Oct 18, 21 2:23 pm  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

"invasive species" oh the irony, I'm sure the coyotes don't see it.

Oct 18, 21 2:26 pm  · 
2  ·  1

Well when their numbers are up 600% from last year and are decimating the ecosystem I wouldn't call them welcome. Also the coyotes aren't a native species to the area of MN I hunt in. The DNR has let them be since they've been in the area for the past 60 years.

The desire was that a balance would continue to be maintained.  Unfortunately it hasn't worked out.  Normally I see 3-4 deer a day and 1 coyote every few weeks.  I saw two deer in a week and 12 coyotes in that same time.   

Oct 18, 21 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Should have thrown a stick of bonafide ACME dynamite.

Animation Art:Color Model, Wile E. Coyote Color Model Cel (Warner Brothers, c. 1980s)....

Oct 18, 21 2:30 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Chad, here in Maine the coyotes have bred with wolves and created a new, larger, more aggressive species. At least that's what's happening in northern Maine; around here I believe we just have regular coyotes.

Oct 18, 21 2:30 pm  · 
1  · 

NS - well I did shoot a 9mm round at their feet. They didn't run so I shot them. I've been bowhunting for 10 years all over the country and this is the first time I've ever had to use my sidearm. 

Really sucks.

Also if I used ACME dynamite I would be missing fingers.  

Oct 18, 21 2:34 pm  · 
2  · 
mightyaa

Yep.. Coyote population must be out of control. I'm in the Denver suburbs, long way from undeveloped land, and have seen pairs and trios in the neighborhood and hear their yipping at night. Some are pretty big; like husky sized. Most are scraggly.

Oct 18, 21 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's bad enough that we have them in the Twin Cities, along the river.

Oct 18, 21 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

This was in south west MN around Pelican Rapids area.

Oct 18, 21 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

I was surprised how many coyotes I ran into Turkey hunting in Georgia about two seasons ago. They scared off relatively easy, but I saw enough of them to carry along my sidearm during my middle of the night trip to take a leak.

Oct 18, 21 5:55 pm  · 
1  · 

​ask not how many coyotes are there, ask why the coyotes fuck all the time.

Oct 18, 21 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I live an 8 minute drive to downtown (city of 700k) and I see coyotes in my neighborhood regularly. The last one I saw was bigger than my 45-lb dog, and was walking right down the middle of the sidewalk. It was pretty funny but it also woke me up really quickly that morning when I saw it! They're really used to seeing people around now and aren't scared at all. The response by local animal control was "we don't care" when I called them about the last one.

Oct 18, 21 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Those coyotes are part of the ecosystem, its totally natural and normal for animals like that to wander into new territories and take advantage of the situation. It’s not their fault they’re thriving, they’re just good at doing what coyotes do. Now, if only we would be allowed to hunt the ones responsible for causing damage to our ecosystems ;-)

Oct 18, 21 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

That's pretty much what the DNR did. The coyotes migrated into this area of MN 60 years ago. Instead of eradicating them they attempted to let them coexist. As the deer population went up so did the coyotes. The issue is their recent explosion in numbers, up 600% from last year. Now the coyotes are running out of food, going into towns and getting aggressive with people. I don't know what impact the coyotes have had on the deer population. I do know that the deer are migrating out of the area to avoid the coyotes. It will be interesting to see what impact all of this has on the local and surrounding ecosystems.

I'm used to encountering various predator animals in the wild.  Timberwolves, grizzly bear, coyotes, wild cats, ect.  I've never had an interaction with them like last week with coyotes. 

Oct 19, 21 9:58 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

ditto on the Georgia coyotes, population has exploded and they've infiltrated Atlanta, fighting the roaming dog (mostly pits) population over the backyard chickens for food (less than 12 are allowed)

Oct 19, 21 11:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I find it unjust and immoral to kill coyotes for being coyotes and doing what coyotes do, but perhaps that’s just me...circle of life and hakuna matata.

Oct 19, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Well considering that they were viewing me as a meal and weren't scarred off by shouting, sticks, and a warning shot at their paws . . . I gave them every chance to leave me alone. I feel no remorse for killing them.

Oct 19, 21 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Easy to criticize what you've never interacted with.

Oct 19, 21 2:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Obligatory:

Sorry for the delay, I 100% thought I had already posted this yesterday.

Oct 19, 21 2:22 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Or don't go out in the wilderness if that means you are forced to kill a living creature, just because you're both in the same place at the same time. You had to go out there and invade their territory to end up killing other living beings...sorry but I don't get that...

Oct 19, 21 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm not a hunter, never could, never would. However, culling the coyote herd is necessary to maintain a healthy habitat. I'm not sure if we'd like their predators in the Twin Cities. Coyotes don't just stay penned up in the north woods of Minnesota, they migrate to the cities, eat pets, get run over by cars, and attack people.

Oct 19, 21 5:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

B3, some coyotes may do that but as a whole they get an incredibly bad rap for things they don't do, as do most apex predators.

Oct 19, 21 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Randomized thinks that living creatures who stick their noses into places where they aren't wanted deserve what they get.

Oct 19, 21 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Rando - then you better not go into any wild places. I've been hunting, climbing, backpacking, ect in wild places for over 25 years. This is the first time I was forced to kill an animal that was aggressive.

I've uncounted timberwolves in the dead of winter because on their deer kills was on the trail. 

I've spooked a grizzly bear on a high mountain pass who was mock charging me. 

I've hiked up the base of a climb only to have a mountain lion and her cubs at the base of the climb. 

In every instance above the animals let me go.  In the instance with the coyotes they were not going to let me go.  Not a big deal as I do prepare for such situations.  Normally I only carry bear spray.  When hunting though I carry a sidearm. 

Oct 19, 21 6:02 pm  · 
1  · 

Rando - say you were out in a park with your family and five coyotes came along and were going to attack you. Would you simply let that happen since it's their habitat and they're just doing what they do? Sounds like a silly question however in the vast majority of the US almost any city is located within a predatory animals territory.

Oct 19, 21 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Problems created by humanity often require solutions engineered by humanity. We don't have to be excited about these solutions to acknowledge their necessity. 

Anyway, I think this is a cultural knowledge divide between Urban Europe and Rural Western America that's really hard to bridge in an internet thread.

Oct 19, 21 6:35 pm  · 
2  · 

Sorry for the delay, I 100% thought I had already posted this yesterday.

What are "things you say to clients when your consultants are late on drawings, Alex?"

Oct 19, 21 6:50 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Wood, I'm specifically referencing this situation. My partner has walked our pit adjacent to the river, and has had a coyote stalk her. My pit would likely rip the throat out one coyote, but a pack, not so sure.

Oct 19, 21 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sorry Chad, but you went there armed with the

Oct 20, 21 2:07 am  · 
 · 
randomised

sole purpose of taking a life...Maybe don’t go there then, nobody forced you and dropped you into that situation, you went looking for it...I love the outdoors too but am not willing to kill living creatures just to enjoy the view or have a nice hike. As the Netherlands is entirely man made (m/f/x) we don’t have any apex predators, besides us humans, we are finally getting some wolves in now from Germany, and I am totally okay with that.

Oct 20, 21 2:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: