Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

JLC-1

How much sugar or booze do you receive from clients and vendors on christmas time? What are other types of presents you have received?

once I got a pair of mittens, and a smoked salmon, but the norm is sugar and booze.

Dec 19, 18 1:32 pm
Non Sequitur

sugar and booze is typical but I did get damn decent hockey tickets a few weeks ago.

ALL THE SUGAR is on our office reception counter right now. I have not yet seen any booze. I'd kill or die for some good smoked salmon! One tray of homemade baklava that was addressed "To Boss and Donna (and everyone)". I had to laugh - it's an AIA guy who sent it specifically to the AIA members, plus e'one else.

SneakyPete

I got some wine. Higher quality than I'd ever buy, so that's a win.

Non Sequitur

We typically draw names and split all the bribes on the last day of the year before the holiday shut-down

archanonymous

I once got a bag of weed, but it was from my boss, not a consultant so I'm not sure if it counts.

JLC-1

it sure counts, awesome present

axonapoplectic

Sugar and booze... My last office every year one of the vendors would send us a rum cake. It was more rum than cake.

Non Sequitur

I had 4 baileys coffees before lunch yesterday...  Today, I can only have one, maybe two, because a big client meeting (8 active projects) was advanced to 10am.  First world problem?

Dec 20, 18 8:36 am
Rusty!

I had a feeling you were mildly drunk at all times.

Non Sequitur

you would not be incorrect.

tintt

(that's called management in some parts)

I'm looking at about 5 pounds of chocolates and maybe 2-3 lbs of nuts to share between the few of us in my department. We've been offering some to anyone that drops in, but even that hasn't been putting enough of a dent in it. 

No booze this year. Not a lot of booze typically. Last year we got a really cheap bottle of wine from a vendor that we gave away to someone else. 

Dec 20, 18 2:38 pm
Non Sequitur

I just came back from a site review where I needed to evaluate a potential break of fire separation and was greeted by the condo's resident who was wearing nothing but a bathrobe.

Dec 21, 18 10:38 am
JLC-1

did you expect a tux?

Non Sequitur

That would also have been suspicious. Then I went and did the dumb thing of checking if the exposed steam supply plumbing was hot. Spoiler alert, it was.

SneakyPete

Sounds like you almost had a Weinstein moment...

citizen

One person's bathrobe is another's smoking jacket. Hef spent most of his life in a swanky bathrobe.

shellarchitect

I don't remember what thread I wrote about this on before, but an offer letter came in today:  $38.5 an hour, plus $250 monthly car allowance, $25 monthly cell phone,  and a couple thousand in 401k contributions.  Total is just over 100k because they also want me to work 48 hours a week.  

Really not sure how much I want the extra money.  For comparison I'm at about 80k right now

Dec 21, 18 11:36 am
JLC-1

38.5x48x52=96096 Gross - depends how much you like what you're doing and/or what you could be doing at the new place.

wurdan freo

How many hours are you working now? Why not salary?

No health care benefits?

Non Sequitur

I'm a simple dirty communist canadian... I don't get the healthcare costs you deal with down south. If your employer covers zero healthcare, what's the average monthly costs for reasonable coverage?

JLC-1

it varies in every state, but around 500 for a plan that does nothing to 850 for a slightly better one.

Non Sequitur

Thanks JLC-1. So that's about 10K USD/year. puts things in an interesting perspective when I read compensation numbers.

JLC-1

that's for an individual making 80k with no kids- there are credits for family earning tiers, but if you make more than 102K for a family of 4, you would pay around 2500 a month. Isn't unchecked capitalism awesome?

shellarchitect

this does include health insurance, my wife works for the hospital, so I get my insurance through her.

shellarchitect

I don't think I've ever been salary, which is fine. I'd rather be paid for time over 40 hrs.

tintt

Salaried stinks.

tintt

Healthcare is subsidized I thought?

wurdan freo

Holy crap! Just got my eyes dialated for the first time... freakin' blind...holding the phone 3 feet from my face and can barely make out these letters...

Dec 21, 18 12:26 pm
jdc190

Dal rumors abound. Christine Macy is hiding behind a group of students to bury a string of harassment campaigns she started against Essy Baniassad, her assistant Martha Barnstead's former employer and many more!

Dec 21, 18 5:23 pm
Non Sequitur

Who and what?

shellarchitect

OMG!!!!

Bench

Any follow up on this?

randomised

Seems like jdc only created an account to post that single remark, makes you wonder.

Stephanie

NO slandering Martha, she picked me up from the airport once.

Nothing but respect for how important airport runs are. I drove Deborah Berke to the airport once; she is even more self-aware, wonderful, and grounded than one could imagine. I also drove Rena Klein, who rocked my world. I also picked up Paul Makovsky, formerly an editor at Metropolis - we couldn't stop chatting. And twice I drove Dave Hickey on airport runs. He was terrifyingly brilliant, and charming in a rough 60s tough-guy American male art scene way. I'm pretty sure there are more but none I can remember right now.

curtkram

a new take on RB's dumpster fires: The full mural by Banksy reveals that the child is standing in ash from a dumpster fire.

Dec 21, 18 6:11 pm

Another brilliant work by Banksy.

Non Sequitur

the fire is too small to be an accurate Balkins

This is a lovely video about my absolutely favorite artist, Agnes Martin, done by one of my favorite people, John Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phYyRNrhZwc

We always told our students at Kentucky GSA to "draw the sensation, not the object". Agnes Martin's work is just, OMG, it's pure. Immutable. I see infinity in them. <siiiiiggggghhhhhhhhh>

Dec 22, 18 12:02 pm
tintt

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Dec 24, 18 10:54 pm
curtkram

you too!

tintt

Only 365 days till Christmas!

Non Sequitur

might as well leave all the decorations out then.

citizen

Same here, belatedly. So, Happy Boxing Day, then.

OneLostArchitect

Merry Christmasya filthy animals

Dec 25, 18 9:17 pm
curtkram

back at ya, and a happy new year!

Non Sequitur

I have coasters that say that.

randomised

Why would anyone like to have coasters that say "that"?

archanonymous

And a happy new year!

Maybe this is just the work I'm doing today talking, but I'd love to do a studio project - short term, third year - where students randomly pull a dozen Master Format spec section numbers and have to design a building incorporating all of the ones they pick.

Specialties....

Jan 2, 19 5:43 pm
tduds

I took a Pro Practice course in grad school that attacked this backwards. The whole term revolved around a small design, on which various non-design parts of architecture were imposed. We had to write a spec table of contents that accounted for each material included, as well as 3 spec sections in full.

citizen

^ Excellent.

Non Sequitur

This was an assignment in my prof-prac class. The sections must be random though and you need to edit them to suit the design. We then had to price it and, as a fun twist, incorporate another team's spec section. I think 4 master spec sections were used.

Non Sequitur

So Donna... now that you've mentioned it and because I just happen to have my old grad school hardrive on hand (blame post xmas purging for this), I dug out the concrete spec I wrote for the project. Here are a few gems I inserted within the spec sections:

• Conformity to shop drawings is to be upheld under penalty of severe humiliation or possible death (method to be drawn from a hat). Report all discrepancies to consultant before beginning work
  • Any remaining concrete can be kept by contractor only if used to form a personal penguin enclosure
  • Stud finders are not required as the only studs on site are the projects’ respective architects
  • Provide forms for concrete footings unless Resident Engineer determines forms are not necessary or is in the washroom
  • Golfing tee time is at 4pm Friday, BYOB
  • The writing of unnecessarily long lists is fundamental to the successful completion of the project

I got an A+ (96%) in this course... and this was 11 years ago.

axonapoplectic

Fypon , EIFS, and airport grade trench drains.

tduds

Non: that's hilarious.

Non Sequitur

^Cheers.

That is fantastic, Non!

Non Sequitur

Thanks Donna. We also had an assignment where we needed to create a license exam design question (to suit the NCARB test which were active in canada at time). That's where the penguin reference in the extra concrete line came from as my question had something to do about a go-kart track, penguins, and old nuclear silo. Who said you can't have fun in prof-pract courses?

JLC-1

what do you think of this? https://www.virgin.com/richard...

Jan 2, 19 6:27 pm
archi_dude

Architects could also just use way less glass.

randomised

The guy with an airline trying to save the planet, I'm listening...

JLC-1

are we going full circle? or everybody is more stupid than their parents?

JLC-1

I have to confess, I don't dislike this gehry as much 

Jan 3, 19 10:10 am
Bench

But can the firm not afford real renderers ...? Sheesh.

dislike it as much as ... ?

JLC-1

as all the rest of things he's done, at least this looks like will not leak, but I can be wrong.

SneakyPete

I love the flat windows. They really set off the curves. :|  Wouldn't want to be the arch of record holding the liability for the flashing details at all of those disparate conditions.

tintt

that is quite unremarkable. And they forgot the building trees.

tduds

Isn't this just the Beekman Tower, but shorter?

randomised

This might become one of my favourite Gehry's.

Mortar is the stuff that holds masonry units together and is visible (and tooled) between units. Grout is the stuff that fills voids in masonry solid.  But grout is also what goes in the gap between tiles, and is visible and tooled-ish between units.

I'm writing specs, obvs. <sigh>

Jan 3, 19 2:07 pm
SneakyPete

No, mortar is what you place your medicine (or spices, seeds, etc) into before you grind them with a pestle. :)

tintt

No, mortar is a type of ballistic weaponry.

No, mortar is the silly hat worn at graduation.

citizen

No, mortar is when you kill someone in a Three Stooges movie. Oh, wait. That's moider.

See also Jack Klugman as Quincy...

Donna, don't know if this helps but I've associated the difference as mortar is applied to something before it is set into place, and grout is applied to something that is already in place. If I was more of a etymologist I'd see if there was some derivation of the words from ancient greek or something like that to back this up, but I'm not and it kind of makes sense to me this way ... or at least helps to explain the difference versus looking at what is visible or not.

Oh, and I lol'ed at citizen's comment

citizen

Thanks! I'm here all week...

JLC-1

cry me a river

https://worldarchitecture.org/...

Jan 4, 19 3:56 pm

If Zaha's death didn't kill the firm Patrik most certainly will.

tduds

Ironic that the world's most prominent Architectural libertarian / Randian is fighting tooth and nail to hang on to the coat-tails he's riding.

If it wasn't for Zaha, Patrik would be driving a cab in Frankfurt.

randomised

After reading that, it seems to me like Patrik has actually legit reasons to go to court...

tintt

Do you guys who aren't partners/owners know what your firm takes in fees? Or is that private info? Trying to find out if it's rude to ask.

Jan 7, 19 6:26 pm
mightyaa

Firm dependant. Last one was hush hush. This one is happy about making it known but they're engineers.

Non Sequitur

In my office, client agreement and fee structure is readily available to anyone. Profits or losses are not, but most senior staff know where their projects stand.

thatsthat

I typically ask when getting the rundown about the project from senior staff. We are pretty open about it partially because it helps younger staff to know how to prioritize time.

curtkram

i think i have a good amount of information.

JLC-1

Yes, but no idea of profit

Steeplechase

Proposals and contracts are saved in the project folder. Project managers have real time numbers. Quarterly updates to all staff on revenue and profits.

archiwutm8

Two suicides in two days at my office location...

Year is going swell so far.

Jan 8, 19 9:12 am
Non Sequitur

Eug, within the staff pool? Where’s this and how big is the office?

JLC-1

it's the time of the year, solitude, longer nights, cold. Yes, where is this?

liberty bell

HI! Through a quirk in cross-platform log-in technologies I am liberty bell again!!! But only from my phone. 

Jan 15, 19 9:07 am

Oh man this is fun. I can have an argument with myself all day long!

liberty bell

NO YOU CAN’T, DONNA! You have WAY too much work to do today to fritter away hours on TC! This isn’t 2009, after all! Get to work!

Ugh. Fine.

It's more fun if one of you is drinking.

Non Sequitur

pour me one too.

JLC-1

I like Donna better, liberty seems, um, immature and anxious.

Jan 15, 19 9:20 am

Definitely true, but somehow liberty didn't swear as much as I do.

randomised

Funny, usually it's the anon poster that uses more profanity, no?

Donna's alter-ego:

randomised

I think that's Liberty Bell's alter-ego ;)

randomised, you are correct. liberty was much more helpful and calm and rational. I'm on my last nerve already.

Just watched someone do a 6 or 7 point turn to turn 180 degrees and back into a parking spot from the other direction. Apparently backing in from the right was too complicated so they decided to do it from the left. 

I need to find a job with a better commute. 

Jan 17, 19 10:15 am
tduds

Rant: The lack of standard / consistency in contractor shop drawings is absolutely astounding to me. A common one that drives me nuts is I'll review a submittal and mark it up, and receive a re-submittal with the pages in a different order. Why?

Current example: two doors for an ADA platform lift. Same company, same platform, the lower door is provided in metric, the upper in feet + inches. Why???

Overall I don't mind CA but... man, sometimes I just don't understand what happens on the other side.

Jan 17, 19 12:04 pm
Non Sequitur

Sometimes I return/refuse a set of shop drawings within minutes of receiving them (if I catch the email notification). That gets the sub's attention.

tduds

I was pretty "green" at the outset of this project. It's the first project of this scale I've captained through CA - so I went in feeling a bit, uh, submissive? Getting comfortable with that sort of leverage has been the big learning experience of 2018. Definitely going to command higher standards next time around.

gibbost

Fabricators and subs rarely have the money to afford a quality drafter. They'll bring in anyone that can simply open the software. Drafting standards are foreign to them. I remember one particular project where I finally got fed up marking up the drawings so I called the [railing fabricator] and asked to speak to the cad tech. I can't make this up . . . the guy said 'what's paper space?' He then went on to tell me that he drafted everything in model space and then used the 'scale button' to get the drawing to the proper scale on the page. Madness! But shit seems to get built this way everyday.

Non Sequitur

my current CA pet peeve is with the wc stall guys. On my last CA job over the summer, I even warned the green PM that this would be a headache. How can a sub return to me plans with irrelevant dimensions with no reference to my critical dims on plans and take weeks to give me a list of hardware. They eventually mailed me a sample of every component because they had no one on staff that could find the pdfs or whatever. I eventually gave the samples back (those that were ok) and they got installed.

JLC-1

we have a construction delay of 5 months on a house because the steel shop owner died days before starting the job and his minions don't know how to read plans, do shop drawings, or read redlines. 2 moment frames, about 6 columns and 6 w beams. unbelievable.

Bench

NS when you're turning back the shop drawings as a point of sloppy submission, what is your noted rationale to the manufacturer (what do you tell them directly)? What do you say if/when they protest? I am fortunate that the main project I worked CA on had a very advanced Tekla group producing all shop drawings and were very savvy in working hand-in-hand with me to get the project finished accurately. I cant imagine how to approach telling a manufacturer that their work is shit.

gibbost

JLC, I think this speaks to a comment in another thread about how small and compartmentalized much of our industry really is. While there are certainly large AE firms, GCs, and developers, the majority of work is still completed by small businesses and shops with very unsophisticated systems in place. It can be both refreshing and tiring to learn that your project is being worked on by a 4th generation terrrazo installer or master carpenter -- but when something happens to that 'one guy', then what?

Non Sequitur

Bench, it depends, but normally I make it very clear in a follow-up email or as a big note on the cover page of the submission where the drawings fail to meet our specifications. Our P.eng do the same but they might wait a week to tell the sub. I do it within the hour of submission if that's the case.

For example, if I get a misc steel shop drawing and their stairs and handrails are written in french (happens often) then it gets rejected immediately even-though I'm fully fluent.  Same goes if the subs simply copy-pasted my details as their own or they lazily submit whatever in hopes that I add all the critical info.

On larger projects, I put in a call to the PM before rejecting the drawings so they have time to diffuse it with the subs.

JLC-1

precisely, but, they keep going, I'm sure we would have had less delays if they had told us from the get go they didn't know what they were doing and we could have found other shop. And, I think steel suppliers do favor large jobs in detriment of small ones, there is also a shortage of material apparently.

Rusty!

gibb, construction industry is pretty hot right now, so even 4th string quarterbacks can butt fumble into a paying gig. Best contractors are working on best projects, and I guess none of us work on best anything...

SneakyPete

Y'all checking the dimensions, then? Good to see Architects doing the GC's job even in 2019.

Non Sequitur

^we don't verify nor do we confirm dimensions. I'll even request the GC remove all language on their drawings that refers to the "architect is responsible for ...." They complain, but fuck them. You're building the millwork, go to site and measure.

JLC-1

of course i'm checking dimensions from a crackhead doing shop dwgs.

Non Sequitur

JLC has it right, checking is not the same as confirming.

JLC-1

checking dimensions on the drawings after the gc gives me field dimensions.

tduds

V.I.F. on everything, even if you watched it get Verified 10 minutes earlier.

JLC-1

cabinetry is full of VIF notes

tduds

|---EQ. V.I.F.--|---EQ. V.I.F.--|---EQ. V.I.F.--|---EQ. V.I.F.--|

archi_dude

I think this goes for all industries outside of architecture just in general. On the opposite end of construction, I’ve been doing an owner construction report in excel for a publicly traded REIT and I didn’t realize that the original had come straight from the owner as a “template.” I had adjusted it so images lined up in cells, text was centered, same font ect. About 3 reports in they scolded me and sent their “template” again that was the original random column widths, mismatching image sizes, half text boxes half unaligned cell text. Been filling it out since just shaking my head that this is a presentation piece to investors. 

Jan 17, 19 5:30 pm
JLC-1

"conservatism is an illness"

conservatism is a mental illness

There, fixed it for you.

randomised

It depends, some things are worth conserving and keeping the way they are, others not so much. To call it an illness or even mental illness sounds very conservative to me.

JLC-1

when somebody does things in a way for a long time, and is not open to change it for something that's proven to work better, what do you call it to sound progressive?

randomised

That's a different story, being against conservatism without looking at the particulars just sounds very dated to me and unprogressive. Just because something's been done a certain way, doesn't mean it needs to change for the sake of progress, sometimes progress/change is for the worst, simply look at climate change...

I'm conservative about conservatism.

shellarchitect

anyone in the Detroit area want to meet up next Wed?  

I'm presenting Building Codes 101 & 102 with the rest of the AIA BCRC (Building Code and Regulations Committee)

Jan 18, 19 10:08 am
OneLostArchitect

LTU?

shellarchitect

That's right, looks like about 200 ppl are coming so far, should be a good event. Focus will be on items that code
officials look for on permit drawings

OneLostArchitect

will try to make it. Im only 15 minutes from LTU

Bench

Shell - will there be a livestream?

OneLostArchitect

Won’t be able to make it... can someone Facebook live or Pericscope?

shellarchitect

boooo

shellarchitect

I'll see if someone can record it for posterity

shellarchitect

I don't think so, at least one other AIA chapter requested that as well.  A pdf will be available here though:

http://aiadetroit.com/resource...

Jan 20, 19 10:42 am
Non Sequitur

just finished shoveling snow 30cm deep. Still snowing. 

Jan 20, 19 12:31 pm

Just had 3" of rain, glad it wasn't snow. Now the temp is dropping, going to 9F tonight (-13C for you third-worlders). -12F/-24C with wind chill.

@$#%&?! iPad

curtkram

great day to watch the patriots lose

OneLostArchitect

Same here.... I have a 100’ driveway... I’m in rural country and need to invest in a plow for my John Deere

geezertect

Any day is a good day to watch the Patriots lose.

Non Sequitur

Ha, great call on the Pats. My driveway can fit 4 cars length wise...

OneLostArchitect

Brady all the way baby!

tduds

Watching the Patriots lose only seems great because of its rarity.

Non Sequitur

it’s -37 today. I won’t even bother clarifying if C of F because at that temp, everyone just says fuck it. 

Jan 21, 19 7:51 am
JLC-1

ans still have fingers to type?

According to Jack London when you spit at 40 below it freezes on contact with the ground. Lower than that it freezes in the air with a snap before it hits the ground. Maybe you could try it Non and let us know what happens.

Non Sequitur

Fingers are fine, probably some-what already permanently frozen just from living here every winter. My phone's battery did lose almost half it's power during my 10min walk tho because it was in an un-insulated breast pocket. I'll try the spit thing tonight when I leave.

jla-x

-37!!! Wow that really sucks.

Non Sequitur

same this morning too Jla, but looking to go to a scorching -2C tomorrow.

jla-x

That’s like...crawl inside a buffalo carcass like DiCaprio in “The Revenant” cold....brrrr.

Non Sequitur

A good chunk of that movie was filmed in canada, so technically, it's a bison carcass. I'll show myself out.

Almosthip7

Spend half my year living at that temperature, but at least mines a dry cold ;)

jla-x

This week was full of FAKE NEWS, good news is they got caught twice....lmfao.  One of the very few things I agree with trump on...the mainstream media is the “enemy of the people.”  

Jan 22, 19 1:37 pm
gibbost

I'm not sure the definition of 'enemy' supports that claim. The media is certainly biased, but's it a natural human instinct to want to call out someone's bullshit.  The media's rush to consistently vilify or 'get the lead' can be dangerous, but not nearly as much as allowing a leader to say anything without consequence.  'Fake news' has become synonymous with 'news that I don't like'.  We all see thru that.  'Enemy of the people' is hate mongering and is not presidential nor reasonable in today's tribal climate.

JLC-1

in what other things do you agree with trump?

SneakyPete

Good to know I can file you under "people who think the term 'enemy of the people' is acceptable in discourse".

OneLostArchitect

Well I do agree with Trump on the bias of the news media. I guess I never realized how bad it really was until recently. The catholic school kids this week is just one of many examples how this media turns an event into a smear for the right. It happens all the time. Now these same catholic kids can’t go to school today cause of bomb threats, etc. An SNL writer is willing to give a BJ to whoever would punch that kid smiling at the native Indian. Now I don’t associate myself with any party but the left has literally turn into a party of loons!

jla-x

Media is and always has been about spreading propaganda for profit and political gain. The mainstream media is not making little errors...they are manipulating and dividing the country...herding voters in which ever direction their overlords demand. Lol to anyone who believes that Russian trolls on FB are more influential at steering elections than mainstream media.

jla-x

what, you think your buddy Bezos doesn’t have a heavy hand on wapo?

gibbost

I would argue that social media, hyper sensitivity, and forced public outrage are bigger factors than the MSM. Our ability to record and share has changed how 'news' is interpreted. Of course, we all see what we want to see. Contrastly, I'm not sure Trump supporters can throw stones at the media for trying to divide the people, when he has built his career and presidency on it.

jla-x

gibbost, I agree. I’m not obsolving Trump or right wing media in anyway. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Trumps statement is blunt and imo true, however narrowly focused on “things he doesn’t like” when it should encompass the whole mess, including him press team.

Rusty!

"but the left has literally turn into a party of loons!". And here it is. The most insane comment of the day. Glad I found it.

SneakyPete

When you need a mental laxative, reach for j-lax. J-lax. For when you're full of shit.

OneLostArchitect

Rusty... see Maxine Waters, Alexandra Cortez, and Bernie to name a few.

SneakyPete

three whole people. wow. I'm utterly convinced.

Rusty!

OLA, all three of those people would be completely unmemorable politicians if they were in Canada. Only in America are comments slightly to the left considered insane by a bunch of brainwashed populace.

jla-x

OLA, you are completely correct. The left has become a religion. Members of the media inciting violence against these KIDS on the basis of a Fake manipulated story period. Not just manipulating the story, but adding gross, dangerous, and racist commentary. This is what happens
when leftist rhetoric becomes normalized. The wild rabid mob feels they have a moral right to act like animals.

jla-x

SnarkyPete, adds personal attacks, typical.

tintt

Turn the media off. Trust me. Life gets a thousand times better.

Rusty!

jla-x, how does a seemingly intelligent person like you end up holding a position this primitive? Literally everyone now has a video camera in their pocket, and video snippets lacking context have become cancerous to society in general. Note that this content is generated by 'we the people'. I am embarrassed for all the groups that were in that video and for anyone who had an extreme reaction over it. I am not the only one. But if your primary take from all of that is "when leftist rhetoric becomes normalized. The wild rabid mob feels they have a moral right to act like animals", you come across as an irrational person who has lost all touch with reality. This kind of pattern making where you use isolated observations to make wider conclusions about entire groups of people is not befitting of someone who is an architect.

jla-x

tintt! You are very wise.

jla-x

Rusty, I don’t think everyone on the left is nuts. The majority of the “liberal” people I know want nothing to do with either party anymore. I voted Obama both terms. I always identified as a liberal/libertarian, and still do on many issues. A very loud minority on the far-left, which is not liberal, has taken over the narrative in academia, media, and the overall culture. If you don’t see that, you aren’t looking. I don’t like extremists. Religious or political. Right or left. Currently, the left is pushing the mainstream into some dangerous terrain. Yes, their rhetoric is becoming normalized. Terms like white privilege, while a real thing to a degree, are used to justify hate and identity politics. This is not an isolated issue. It’s part of a larger trend. To be balanced, I’d say anti-immigrant rhetoric is obviously being normalized as well. The other day a person whom I always held in high regard made a gross statement about using land mines instead of a wall. This is a woman, a regular everyday woman. I couldn’t even respond because I got choked up with emotion and disbelief at the casual cruelty. We are going down a shitty road. Social media is for sure playing a huge role. I find it necessary to call out the left. The pathology of the right is obvious like a big brain tumor. The pathology of the left is slower and metastasized...and potentially more dangerous.

OneLostArchitect

sneaky pete... i have a long list. hell just look at the democratic party presidential candidates so far. if this is the best democrats have to offer it doesn't look good for them.

Rusty!

jla-x, that is a lot more sensible take from you and I appreciate you saying that. Web 2.0 was a colossal mistake, unfortunately. We can talk to complete strangers, joke, argue, fight. And we can also get radicalized at most idiotic tangents possible. And later seems to be happening as detriment of society. I will disagree with you that all sides are the same. Flat earthers, antivaxers, and american fascists (like wtf), make it clear that not all opinions are equal. Some are just insane and need to be shunned. Also, there is no leftist in current US politics. Democratic party is corporate loyalist. This is why affordable healthcare comes across to you as completely insane idea. Rest of the world has their own issues, but it's not because of healthcare.

curtkram

AOC is awesome

jla-x

She’s a complete moron, but she has that likability factor.

curtkram

same could be said for people who say she's a moron.

SneakyPete

Oh, good. She's likable. That's gotta be the reason she was elected.

Non Sequitur

Setting up a gaming mouse (logitech G600) for my office revit use... got 24 commands I can set up to it.  This will be a fun morning.

Jan 24, 19 8:39 am
citizen

Which button for "make fresh pot of coffee"? ;o]

shellarchitect

had coffee with some guys at JLL's Project Development Team, seems like they are basically an Owner's Rep.  Apparently they love their jobs and get paid well for their work.   Anyone has any experience working for or with these guys?

I told them to keep me in mind should they decide to add ppl

Jan 28, 19 8:02 am
archanonymous

I did a major interior renovation with JLL as CM and Building Management. Was kinda strange since they have separate groups for CM/ Project Development and Property Management and the two didn't always work together perfectly. As a whole though, decent for a CM/ Building Manager. Not the most design-focused but willing to defer to the architect on most things, though cost always sneaks in as a main driver. Very nice people, but it seems like a bit of a clubby old-dude atmosphere.

axonapoplectic

does JLL still have a GC division?

axonapoplectic

I did a fit-out with JLL who was acting as GC. Their site super was great, but their paper pusher was difficult to work with. I know people who used to work for them and now on the developer side - they havent said anything bad abt them except for there was an exodus after the economy started turning around.

shellarchitect

thanks, will ask some additional questions if something materializes

archanonymous

not sure re: the GC division. they seem to be pretty silo'd.

axonapoplectic

my days are starting to be less “I’m in over my head” and more “I’m not paid enough for this shit.”

Jan 28, 19 2:58 pm
Non Sequitur

join the club. We'd have matching jackets but... no time to pick a design.

randomised

Congrats, this means you can either ask for a raise or look for new opportunities that fit your skill set and experience, exciting times!

proto

it's sunny today

i hope the polar vortex folks are surviving

Jan 29, 19 5:20 pm
shellarchitect

i'm surviving so far by changing nothing from my normal routine of walking from my car to the office in less than a minute.  Unfortunate I have a site meeting today, hopefully the trailer is warm.  school is cancelled for today and tomorrow, wife unhappy.

Jan 30, 19 9:14 am
curtkram

i did wear a thermal layer under my pants, and brought wool socks. i don't entirely trust the building's mechanical systems.

tintt

I only wear wool socks.

Pics please.

Non Sequitur

I had a site visit this morning at 9am. I carried my steel-toe boots in a bag and changed out of my snow boots just before the meeting. Those protective steel plates just suck all the heat away.

jla-x

Fuck boots. You need to hollow out a pair of penguins and use them as boots.

Non Sequitur

Are they certified for job site?

tintt

I remember a week of 40 below wind-chill in the midwest in 2001 where I accidently locked myself in an unused garage. I was only there a few minutes when my roommate unexpectedly came home and saved me.

Jan 30, 19 9:22 am
Non Sequitur

We’ve been floating around the -40 for over a week now. People are dropping like flies from exposure.

tintt

How long does it take to "drop" in weather like this?

Non Sequitur

depends on your health and level of exposure, obviously... but for example, a prominent political figure' 90-something year old mother died last week because her nursing home forgot to account for her following a fire alarm evacuation. Woman did not even make it around the building to that main doors. A few more in the news, mostly elderly.

tintt

Fire alarm? Was there an actual fire?

Non Sequitur

nope. not sure if it was a false alarm or a scheduled drill.

jla-x

It’s 62 right now by me in case you wanted to know :)

Non Sequitur

62, below 0?

jla-x

Nope, 62 bbq weather.

randomised

62K?

Non Sequitur

62K is -211C.

Bench

People keep asking me if its as cold as it was when I lived up North (like, way up there).

The answer is no, this is still quite balmy and I still dont need to wear a toque to work. Joy!

SneakyPete

I'm just gonna leave this here.

https://thec64.com/

Feb 3, 19 11:16 pm
JLC-1

that is sick awesome.

OMG WHY DOES ANYONE PURPOSEFULLY USE GOOGLE DOCS WHEN IT SUCKS SO BAD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ARGGGGGHHHHHH I AM IN HELL!!!

Feb 4, 19 2:33 pm
SneakyPete

Same reason people use unpaid interns. 

Wood Guy

I thought I was the only one... Trying to share files via Google Drive is just as bad, IMO.

randomised

Never had to work with it, generally use Dropbox for file sharing.

Non Sequitur

you get what you paid for.

liberty bell

If you worked on a building and a super famous artist was involved in the design wouldn’t you credit that person? 

I’m not talking about my husband, by the way. This is totally unrelated to me. 

Feb 5, 19 7:48 am
Non Sequitur

Icongnito again I see. Why would one not credit the artist if they had a role?

randomised

I hate it when people don't give credit properly, usually a sign of insecurity and a lack of talent.

Exactly, randomised. If you're confident in yourself you don't mind sharing credit when it's due, IMO. I do it constantly, though my therapist would say that the truth is I'm too insecure about other people *thinking* I'm claiming credit and that's why I can't ever take credit myself? LOL I will definitely take credit for the "Ability To Overthink Anything To Ruin" prize!

Bloopox

Yes of course I'd credit the super-famous artist. I'd be careful how I credited them so some jealous other-artist or unhinged "building designer" would not be able to report them to authorities for practicing architecture! I don't usually care about taking/getting credit  - except in situations where something that I did most of is wholly credited to someone whose real role/involvement was in the 0-5% range - in which case it irks me for decades!

SneakyPete

I'm really not into that "General Whateverthefuck" thread.

Feb 6, 19 12:37 pm
randomised

Apparently Rick can't post in TC, that's why.

citizen

Could that arrangement be expanded?

Non Sequitur

I don't know about that Citizen... we might miss on some crucial business card etiquette.

citizen

Hmmmm... you may be right, NS. My very favorite part is the sheer volume of text it takes to finally, finally get to the small nugget of absolutely incorrect information.

SpontaneousCombustion

It's not just the tiny nugget of wrongness. It's how f'ing intractable he is. Like business cards: he could google "should students have business cards" or "what to put on new grad's business card" and see 95% of the world agrees with 95% of thread respondents. But he won't, he'll stick with wrong until nobody's left to care, because he absolutely can't admit he's wrong or learn.

citizen

It's that and more, I think. My strong hunch is that this is one of the only connections he has to people. So, why say in ten words what can be blathered in a thousand (at no extra cost), for more reaction (and maximum return)? Not that he's likely aware of this, but it seems to be a driving force for him. 

And now, the Dime Store Shrink is off-duty.

SneakyPete

Not a good look to insult the dude where he can't respond. I was commenting on the thread, didn't realize that was the reason. Doesn't change my opinion about it though.

citizen

No insult intended, just observation and opinion. 

Rick, even if you can't post here, you may be able to read this. If so, we've all got our baggage; Lord knows I've got mine. Feel free to opine on my compulsion toward sarcasm and joking, and my impatience with lazy "journalism."

Aw, citizen that's an excellent post.

Non Sequitur

I'm super pumped about my future fountain pen / scale combo from that kickstarter gig.  Anyone else throw a few bones at it?

Feb 7, 19 8:46 am
jla-x

I may when I get a chance. It’s pretty pretty cool.

Non Sequitur

Only 14 individual spots left for the single pen option ($50USD). hurry!

jla-x

Archinect!!! Damn you with your rabbit holes!!!  I love them, but I was reading that business card thread til 2am and had to wake up at 6am.  So so tired.  I’ve said this before I think...new term for disasters on here that you just can’t look away from - rubbernecting.  

Feb 7, 19 10:04 am
Non Sequitur

I may, or may not have also been reading it late into the night.

tduds

Every time I try to read it my eyes just glaze over by the 2nd or 3rd Rick response.

shellarchitect

couldn't find it... what should I be looking for?

Non Sequitur

There was a nice dumpster fire on business card etiquette involving Mr. Balkins (PBUH). I think the archinect green head zapped it.

SneakyPete

Seriously though, can we please let that thread drop off the front page?

Feb 8, 19 12:40 pm

In case you guys haven't tried it, I was gifted the Brutal Coffee from Archinect for Christmas and it was *delicious*. I liked the white roast better, but both were delicious. And the packaging is gorgeous. Really excellent gift if you're looking for a hostess gift or something. Or Valentine's Day!

Non, I think we're having the guy who designed that pen on the podcast soon.

I see the economy slowing a tiny bit right now - a few fewer projects popping up, by no means slow, but slowER than it has been the last few quarters. Anyone else?

Feb 9, 19 1:02 pm
Rusty!

Depends on market sector. On the corporate side a lot of large corporations are using the revised tax code to invest capital into facilities. Tax cuts are not trickling down to working class individuals, but investment in real estate is up. Read that as you wish in terms of long term projections.

Investment in RE is up because taxes on RE income are down. The entire economy is now structured on economic rent - unearned revenue.

Well, now I'm nervous.

1. The Where'd You Go, Bernadette movie release has been pushed back *again* to August. That's 15 months later than originally scheduled. Which means it must be having production problems?

2. In good news the official trailer was released! But it looks....not incredibly enticing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKvOud9GcRQ

Feb 9, 19 5:52 pm

Just got an email from DC:

Name: david curtis

Email Address: davidscurtis@earthlink.net

Message: If you have something to say to me pick up a fucking phone like a man. Or keep defaming me online and see how that works out for you asshole. 415 472 2859

I guess low self-esteem is it's own reward.

Can anyone recommend a mental health professional in San Rafael CA? He is in desperate need.

Feb 9, 19 7:58 pm
archiwutm8

That's hilarious, can you phone me? Kinda bored right now.

eeayeeayo

You said he used his own name and was aggressively hostile - so he responds with aggressively hostile email using his own name. Hard to claim "defamation" while demonstrating the very character flaw with which he's charged.

randomised

Make sure to record the audio when you decide to pick up that phone ;)

kjdt

Earthlink still exists?

Non Sequitur

good email to add to the spam generator.

citizen

That taunt of his sounds very gendered and sexist.

shellarchitect

Have you called him yet?

tduds

Hey I'm finally an Architect.

Feb 11, 19 6:02 pm
citizen

Congratulations!

Condolences.

tduds

I'll take both. Thanks.

Non Sequitur

Nice, can you help me design a deck?

curtkram

congrats!

tduds, YAY!!!!! It's the best feeling! Congratulations!!

geezertect

Credentialed starvation. Congrats anyway.

tintt

Congrats! You will soon be overwhelmed with people asking you to do all sorts of work for free or less than min. wages.

Non Sequitur

Tintt, I asked first.

tintt

I glazed over it. See it now. I want to pop the top on my garage. 4 walls and a roof. How hard can that be? I pay $25 per wall and $15 for the roof. Due Friday.

Wood Guy

Congratulations!

Congrats!

Got another one (mined from the spam folder):

Name: david curtis

Email Address: davidscurtis@earthlink.net

Message: You accused me of a crime on the website Archinect. Either apologize immediately and remove the comment or I will sue you.

Victim mentality is an indicator of Narcissitic Personality Disorder. 

It's not to late to help yourself.

Feb 12, 19 9:33 am
Non Sequitur

Love it. I'm sure you can sell this drama to Netflix. They will fund anything.

randomised

Did I miss something? What crime?

Non Sequitur

Before this article disappears, I'm bumping it in hopes that someone will add to the hilarity.

https://archinect.com/features...

I don't do much (or any) residential so my crazy client stories are limited to dumb government employee demands... which I probably can't elaborate on due to my security level.  

Feb 13, 19 8:47 am
Bench

I remember those days ! ... [redacted]

[redacted]

[redacted]

[redacted]

Non Sequitur

I know what all those [redacted] and those [redacted] mean. That's a 2 Guinness minimum for those stories. Luckily, I've been more on the private corporate client side of things for the last few years so my [redacted] stories are not as common as they once were.

mantaray

Ugh so many of these young/graduating architect posts just sound like SUCH. DICKS.

“I’m about to graduate but I’m just such an amazing designer I just don’t know how I’m going to stand working with anyone who isn’t as perfectly design-y as I am. How do I find a job where I get to design everything, all day long, but I don’t want to have to project manage or anything?”

Feb 15, 19 12:52 am

Hi manta!!

SneakyPete

What's a CD set? Is that what the plebs turn my beautiful sketchup model into? They always ruin it with strushures or mepanical ducks or whatever.

geezertect

Gravity is such a nuisance.

mantaray
Oooh! Is David Curtis banned?!?! Looks like I missed some juicy goss in the last year! Phew with him gone maybe I’ll stick around a bit
Feb 15, 19 12:53 am
Formerlyunknown

He's banned but he's still reading. If you write something that irks him he emails you to threaten legal action.

Someone left a tag open....

Feb 15, 19 4:34 pm
SneakyPete

[/i] test

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: