Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

archiwutm8

Mid 20s

Jun 1, 16 11:49 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I think if you can answer the question, "What do I want to do?" The answer will become more clear.

Jun 1, 16 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

wurdan, that is a little bit of yogi berra advice right there. i like it.

"If you can answer the question, you will know the answer."

Jun 1, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
I'm in KC for a site visit and eating lunch at Arthur Bryant's. I want to eat all the things here, and then take a nap and miss my site meeting. So so good.
Jun 1, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

I think mid-20s is a very common time to have that kind of "run for the hills" feeling (ugh now I have Iron Maiden in my head.). Not that your personal experience of it is "common", it's a serious transition that everyone has to go through. But it definitely seems to happen to most people within the first 5 or so years of being in practice and no longer in school.

OTOH, I just sat in a meeting at my very stable, well-paying, boring institutional job scrolling through job ads on my phone and fantasizing about pulling up roots and leaving. But I'll add this: it gets A LOT harder to do that when you are partnered and apprenticing!

My good friend Wes always says this: when you're young, there's still a lot of time to make mistakes. If something else seems more interesting to you now, go for it. Why not?

Jun 1, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My mid-20s coincided with the Great Recession, so maybe my experience was a little more intense than the average quarter life crisis, but I spent about 4.5 years after undergrad flailing about the world in various architectural and non-architectural endeavors.

Getting out (I briefly flirted with the idea of getting an MBA and opening a craft brewery), and then working my way back in gave me so much more perspective on what I wanted from life as a designer and how to go about getting there than my entire undergrad education and brief post-undergrad internships ever could have. I went back to school at 27 with way more purpose and motivation than I would have had if I'd gone immediately to an MArch at 23. I turned 30 at the beginning of this year and I'm working at the perfect firm for me and well on my way to licensure.

Point is, you've got time. Save up some money in the next year and then go explore for a bit.  You can always come back, but you'll never know that you want to come back unless you leave first.

Jun 1, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'm planning on travelling a lot in the next few years and doing things I like. I'll be leaving for Vietnam on Saturday for two weeks! just waiting from Richard to tell me why I shouldn't go now.

Jun 1, 16 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

Nope. I don't like you that much and you just aren't as attractive as Stephanie or even Donna.

Jun 1, 16 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I guess sexist paternalism outweighs xenophobic fearmongering.

Jun 1, 16 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Http://www.wired.com/2016/06/facebook-teaching-chatbots-talk-help-facebook/

won't be long before technology caches up and rb won't be saying such stupid things.

Jun 1, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Whatever you do... just don't make too many wrong mistakes and remember... It ain't over till it's over... don't worry about the money cause... A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore and most importantly... Architecture is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.

Jun 1, 16 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Wow. Way to be creepy as fuck Balkins. I hope restraining orders are being filed now.
Jun 1, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

archiwut, Like Donna - Iron Maiden is in my head singing Run for the Hills now....Damn You!!!...i took a good 2 week vacation in my mid 20's after working myself quickly up into a firm. best 2 weeks I ever took. I think I was reading some Kurt Vonnegut and Albert Camus' the Plague.........p. in Architecture, unlike many professions, if you want to make money appear you can and you clearly have an angle for that if you bailed and went on your own or into design. Your friends are working on great stuff but do not understand how to make money appear yet. You know where to go if you needed to make it appear. With that said, if you did grow up Poor, who cares, you are already doing better than your parents and ancestors - and keep that in mind. You can always tell yourself - holy shit I wore generic shoes to school for 2 years and now I give a fuck about my Italian leather 5th pair Sunday pair football night pub kickers!!!.........i once was told that the CFO's who often get hired for killer corporations need to have at least one failed company on their resume - because they know how low they can go and still survive. So you have that working for you. Just a partner and NO kids, fuck it - head out to the desert and wait for Jim Morrison.

Jun 1, 16 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

You get SOOOO overly excited over nothing. There's nothing wrong with their looks. Yes, they are intelligent but people generally don't describe intelligence with words like beauty or ugly as they are non-tangible. Not that intelligence can be beautifully utilized. 

Jun 1, 16 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick. you suck.

Jun 1, 16 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, 

Totally uncreative.

Jun 1, 16 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick. you sick big donkey balls for breakfast, daily.

Jun 1, 16 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"A Beautiful Mind," 2001

Balkins you suck.
Jun 1, 16 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, 

Maybe if you stop sucking on the elephants balls, you might actually have something to say that makes any sense.

Jun 1, 16 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Shut up Balkins.

Just got home from KC. Did a detour to Nelson Atkins Museum while there. Steven Holl knew what he was doing there. I'm blowing up my Instagram with the pictures.
Jun 1, 16 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

Josh Mings,

I don't take orders from any of you. I'm not your employee. 

Jun 1, 16 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
That may be so, but if you are telling people to suck elephant testicles on an Internet board, you should probably rethink things. That's a grade level comeback.
Jun 1, 16 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

I'm not the one here who brought up sucking testicles. You should have a talk with him about that testicle fetish.

Jun 1, 16 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Please stop responding to me. You sound like a petulant child telling mommy and daddy that your brother did it first.
Jun 1, 16 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

Are you suggesting to me to hold myself to higher standards than Olaf? 

Jun 2, 16 12:27 am  · 
 · 
If you don't know the answer to your own question, then you are truly hopeless. I'm not suggesting anything. Go to sleep.
Jun 2, 16 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Alright Josh. More often, I will probably have the answers to my own questions long before I post them. However, I'll have to say, if you weren't suggesting anything, you wouldn't say anything. Saying something to another person implies a suggestion or directive.

Enough said.

Jun 2, 16 2:34 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick you asked for creativity. you still suck as a human............. Josh any pics to share here, like items only architects would notice?

Jun 2, 16 7:08 am  · 
 · 
Olaf, my Instagram is jmings. It's a public profile. I can post some on here a little later today too.
Jun 2, 16 7:54 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160524-this-man-had-no-idea-his-mind-is-blind-until-last-week

An interesting article on the ability to imagine or the lack of.

Jun 2, 16 7:55 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

nice article archiwut, very pertinant to my belief with regard to design.

Jun 2, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Morning TC.
Tiny non-sequitur baby was born 2 days ago and 6 weeks early. The last few days worth of nonsense here has been a great way to keep my senses awake to take care of the mother.
Jun 2, 16 9:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

congrats NS!  Best of luck with getting the baby to grow up to be a decent, healthy person!

Jun 2, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 

Congrats

Jun 2, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Wow, Non Seq, congrats!!! Six weeks early is a little nerve-wracking, I would guess!  Hugs to both of you tired, tired parents and yay to the little babe, welcome to the world!

Jun 2, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

^Second that. great news! Will be your best design ever.

Jun 2, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 

This is a great song for welcoming a new baby.

Jun 2, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Grats Non Seq!  

Jun 2, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Thanks TC crew.

Funny thing is I had to leave the office for mother's emergency c-section this past Tuesday just one hour after starting to write my projects' outstanding tasks for responsibility transferring. The eta for leave was 2 to 3 weeks, not 2 hours. I only got through 50% of one project then emailed later to have my BIM model backup.
Jun 2, 16 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Awww. Somewhat similar,  I have a good friends who had twins; they went in for what was supposed to be a check 4 weeks before the babies were due and the doctor said "Hey, we're taking them out right now, you'll be parents in an hour!" WOAH!!!!

Don't worry about work, they will deal with you being gone all of a sudden! You have these amazing first few weeks of babyhood to savor/survive (it's both, truly)!

Jun 2, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

congrats. I hope mom and baby are doing well. 

Jun 2, 16 11:30 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

6 weeks early? congrats, hope everyone is well

Jun 2, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
situationist

Congrats non seq!

Jun 2, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats N.S.

Jun 2, 16 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Congrats on the kid!

3 guys in my division also had kids in the last 4 weeks...maybe its just the time of year to?

Jun 2, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Everybody planting seed before winter set in...

Jun 2, 16 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Congratulations!

Jun 2, 16 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

word to NS and the child.

Jun 2, 16 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

josh nice pics and one photo reminded me of an essay worth a read by Kipnis on Holl and the Nelson Atkins.

Jun 2, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
I'll have to check out that essay, even though I'm kind of so-so on Kipnis. Pretty sure the museum staff thought I was weird because I kept looking up at the ceiling. I couldn't help it though, Steven Holl straight up worked some magic up there.
Jun 2, 16 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: