Archinect
anchor

Do years of experience count if they were abroad?

finngrayson

Hi all!

I am an architect from Latin America living in the U.S. I have roughly 8 years of architecture experience in Latin America and I am curious whether the typical U.S. architecture firm values this experience and whether it would “count” toward the required years of experience for particular jobs. While I feel my experience is relevant, I recognize that my background doesn’t offer a lot of U.S. nuance (e.g., U.S. building code). How much does the country in which I’ve worked as an architect matter to architecture firms looking for job candidates?

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks.

May 8, 24 5:21 pm
vividkreations

Your architecture experience from Latin America is undoubtedly valuable to U.S. firms, as it brings a diverse perspective and different approaches to design and problem-solving. While U.S. firms may prioritize candidates with knowledge of local building codes and regulations, your international experience showcases adaptability, creativity, and a global mindset, which are highly valued in the field. Emphasize your transferable skills, willingness to learn U.S. nuances, and cultural diversity to demonstrate your suitability for roles in U.S. architecture firms. Your unique background can be a significant asset in enriching the firm's projects and perspectives.

May 10, 24 8:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: