Archinect
anchor

Student protests at architecture schools

Archinect

As protests against the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza continue on university campuses across the U.S., we would like to provide a space here on Archinect for architecture students, faculty, leadership, and alumni to share your thoughts.

Share below or use this submission form. If you prefer to remain anonymous, we will honor that.

May 7, 24 3:20 pm

I think it's fine and your right.   As long as it's not on private property and you're not hurting people,  blocking services, or damaging property then it should be allowed.  

May 7, 24 3:35 pm  · 
4  · 
przemula

While I agree, the point of protests is to cause at least inconvenience, otherwise no one will pay attention.

May 15, 24 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

I don't agree.

I've seen plenty of protests that don't inconvenience people. 

That's not relevant though.  I never said anything about inconveniencing people. I said hurting people, blocking services, or damaging property.

May 15, 24 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

Chad, blocking services = inconvenience. To not have access to something I consider inconvenience. These plenty of protests you have seen that didn't inconvenient anyone, did they achieve something? Not to mention that without hurting people or damaging property no dictator would ever fall.

May 15, 24 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

With that being said, I do not support hurting anyone, just wanted to make that clear.

May 15, 24 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Blocking services = injury or death. 

Services are: EMS, utilities, delivery of essentials, medical treatment, ect. 

Inconveniencing someone is:  making someone take an alternate path,  ect.

The civil rights movement accomplished a lot with nonviolent protests that didn't physically inconvenience anyone (blocking their way for example). A sit in isn't inconveniencing anyone.  Same thing with a permitted march.  It just forces people to see you and your cause.

May 16, 24 10:08 am  · 
 · 
graphemic

I think they’re great. I’ll state what others have expressed more eloquently elsewhere: protest is a right that must be protected. The student encampments have been peaceful, well-organized, and inclusive of Jewish students and faculty. Disruption of normal operations is a good and smart strategy (think labor strikes).

Universities have failed to engage with and protect students as they protest; instead, they’ve pitted students against each other and relied on police violence to manufacture chaos where there need be none. Finally, the demands of the protesters are meant to put pressure on national politicians to change course in a deeply unpopular war.

They’re succeeding, and I hope they continue.

Now. The question posed by Archinect is “at architecture schools,” to which I have to ask: what?

The profession has been deadly quiet since October (for decades, really) with a few exceptions. This is unsurprising. I don’t see that changing, especially since the academics that make their career on progressive politics have done little to show up. I’m pretty cynical in this regard, maybe I just didn’t see it. I’m ok with this.

The sooner architecture students realize that their civic life is not defined by architecture discourse or practice, the better. Our work is deeply political, but that doesn’t translate to having the ability as architects to turn buildings into political action. It’s a shallow understanding of both our work and politics, and it relies on tired tropes of the avant-garde intellectual project. Way too vulnerable to grifters.

So, in the time being, I hope architecture students leave their schools (physically) and go get involved in community organizing. Us workers should too. We’ll come back to architecture better and more skilled people. 

May 8, 24 1:37 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

Student protests have been on the right side of every major cultural, political, and social issue in the past 70 years. This is no different. 

Seems shockingly obvious to me but maybe that's because I don't consume much propaganda. 

May 8, 24 2:47 pm  · 
5  ·  1

I agree that this protest is 'the right thing'. 

I don't agree with about student protests always  being on the 'right side'.  There have been quite a few large student protests in favor of racism, sexism, segregation, and bigotry.

May 8, 24 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think those would be considered Klan and Neo-Nazi rallies.

May 8, 24 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

They were / are still student protests on college campuses. To be clear - I am not saying the current student protests are about Gaza are wrong.  What I'm saying is that not all student protests are supporting 'the right thing'. It's  disingenuous to say that all student protests have been 'supporting the right thing'.

May 8, 24 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

To be clear, archanonymous, does not state “all”.

May 8, 24 4:28 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

To be clear any "protest" against a protected class is still classified in my humble opinion is a strawman, and a whataboutism. This thread is specifically about protests related to Gaza, not about racist c#nts at Charlottesville.

May 8, 24 4:33 pm  · 
1  · 

I know. 

I'm responding to archanonymous comment:

"Student protests have been on the right side of every major cultural, political, and social issue in the past 70 years. This is no different."

They haven't.  They are on the right side in the 'war' in Gaza.  It needs to be stopped.  Regardless, student's have the right to protest anything and camp out to do so unless they're on private property.  Full stop. 

May 8, 24 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

This conflict over palestine and gaza strip and the protests over the matters. What do you want? We can stop supplying guns and missiles. Won't do a damn thing. They are using stuff they already have and had for decades and manufacture themselves. You do realize almost all guns and most military weapons are not actually made in the United States. Israel can get them directly from the manufacturers. We stopped manufacturing our own shit for the most part decades ago. The factories closed and the equipment are gone, broken, and melted down and recycled. The buildings are mostly on rotting and eventually collapse or be demolished. So WHAT do YOU want President Biden to do? What can a President do without violating the Constitution by going to war with Israel without authorization of Congress? 

Lets get some facts together, Benajamin Netanyahu of Israel doesn't give a damn what we or anyone else's opinion about how to respond to Hamas terrorists. To him, all Palestineans are part of the Hamas terrorists. To him, they all are insurgents and enemies of Israel. His intent is to eradicate ALL Palestineans including those that are Hamas. He's approaching this with a war methodology of King David.... eradicate every living soul of the enemy from the Earth. It is a Kill them all. They all are poison. 

So how the hell do you negotiate peace and cease fire with an outright genocidal warmonger in Israel? Not going to happen. The only solution is a military level response. This is what the rest of the world needs to do. 

President Biden isn't going to get Congress to authorize a declaration of war or similar military response. The MAGA contingent in the House would interfere just to interfere. They are adolescent assholes that should be physically thrown out of the Capitol building. They would do it to cause the destruction of the United States. That is their goal. Israel will get supplies without any interruption to their war plans even if it doesn't come from our government. Lets get real. Israel makes guns and manufacture military weapons. They make their own shit. This is conventional weapons. They don't need us to make guns and missiles and bombs. They just stockpile it for later. They have enough of their own made stockpile to eradicate every Palestinean, a 1000 times over. Not even close to being low on supply. 

So, what can we do peacefully without war with Israel? 

How about take the message to Congress that we must begin preparation of war against Israel to oust Benjamin Netanyahu and perhaps some other individuals. There is no other option if Netanyahu et al. have no interest in entertaining any other options. You can't negotiate with people whose minds are set and are not interested in what your opinion. Don't waste time trying to negotiate if negotiation isn't even an option the other is considering at all. They'll jerk you around making you waste time. That is all. So what's the options we have? 

Don't blame or beg Joe Biden to start war. He's not going to do that. Declaration of war must come from Congress not the President. Joe isn't that stupid to declare war against another country. MAGA would jump to impeach him if he did. They are itching for a reason to impeach him. They been trying constantly since his first day in office.

May 8, 24 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

As for protests, I am for peaceful assembly to protest. That's protected under First Amendment. Rioting is not protesting. That is a crime and even can be seen as an act of war against your state and/or country or both. Lets stop destroying your college and university campuses, guys. Don't block other students who are not protesting because they are focus on their college studies from their classes or their student libraries. In fact, take your complaints to Congress. They are the ones that have the authority to declare war against Israel not the President.

May 8, 24 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

Ben Netanyahu isn't going to stop genocide because we nag at him. His message for us is "Go Fuck Off". Peaceful negotiation time is over. We need to oust Netanyahu and also put an end to Hamas terrorist groups. We need to do both and this should be an international effort not just U.S. Oust Netanyahu and his cohorts and tactically eradicate Hamas and then help rebuild the Gaza Strip. It will be a multi-year effort. The rebuild will be.

May 8, 24 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

Rich I'm with you but these two aren't the same. See Taliban, Hamas is an ideology. If you cut off one head of the snake, another will grow. They literally believe in armed resistance against Israel and eradication of all of Israel. Again, I'm with you but to simply say eradicate Hamas in a multi year effort is simply not possible. Again, see Taliban and what happens when there is a power vacuum once the US left. (The US should have never been there IMO).

May 8, 24 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What student protest are you referring to? Hamas revised their charter. I am for armed resistance to an illegal occupation, and I am for a one state solution. What student led protest in the last 50 years has been on the wrong side of history?

May 8, 24 9:49 pm  · 

b3tadine, wtf are you referring to? I think you totally been under a fucking rock during the past week. We are talking about riots not legitimate protests. 

{Sarcasm} I'm for having everyone there in that Holy land evacuate and then nuke it until it will no longer be habitable for a thousand generations and then some. So there will be no state there. No one would fight over it anymore. {/Sarcasm} 

Of course, life would be simpler that we have no one fighting over sand, dirt, and rocks. Israel was imposed and artificially created by the U.S. and UK. The Kingdom of Israel fell over a thousand years ago. The Jews and Christians can take a hike. Give it back to the Islam people who had those lands for the past 1000 years. It's doesn't belong to the Jews. It wasn't given back to them by God or anything divine. 

I'm more for getting rid of both Israel state and the Hamas terrorists.

May 9, 24 7:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

they misspelt Palestine in spray paint on one the university’s exterior steps today just a few blocks from my office.  Not to say the demonstrations are without cause, but I’ve grown tired of the oversimplification of global politics and sloganistic social media jive.   perhaps I’m just indifferent and or cynical because I live in the capital of Canada and there are protests literally everyday. There were some particularly dangerous gaza “demonstrations” around Xmas in my city that no one should be proud of .

With that said, I have no issue as long as i can still go about my day. 

May 8, 24 5:52 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Protests are meant to inconvenience you, or else they’re not protests.

May 8, 24 9:50 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

they should inconvenience those who are able to make change... I, along with everyone else walking around, can't do shit about the situation. Instead of blocking a busy downtown intersection during rush hour or vandalizing university property (they did today at OttawaU), why not have a sit-in on the grounds of the Israeli embassy? Point is, if you block the sidewalk as I walk downtown, I will care less about your cause.

May 8, 24 10:38 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes. You. I said what I said. You have the power, so you will be inconvenienced.

May 9, 24 6:30 am  · 
2  ·  2

What power do I have? I'd be shot before I would even get off the airplane at the nearest airport or in the airplane. I have no standing to even matter. I'm not even able to talk to the President of the United States or members of Congress. The closest I get to is a staff person. I am not a billionaire. My best chance to talking to the President is if he showed up close enough to me that I can appear at a campaign stop and maybe if lucky, get close enough to be seen and heard. Good luck. We haven't had a President in Astoria since JFK (well, namely Tongue Point Naval Base at the time). So chances are extremely low. How am I important enough to even matter. Like I said, take the protest to Congress. Take it to D.C. Come on. Do it peacefully. None of this rioting shit for f--- sake. 

Stop destroying other people and public property which you aren't personally taking responsibility to paying for the repairs. You break the shit, you should pay for it 100% and take 100% responsibility for your actions. Too bad, 90% of them won't pay because they don't have any fucking money. Fucking losers who makes tuition on students go up even more. ASSHOLES!!!!

May 9, 24 7:27 am  · 
 · 

The middle finger sticking up for me against rioters not peaceful protesters.

May 9, 24 7:29 am  · 
 · 

To make clear, I am not against protesters peacefully protesting. I am not in any particular way against why they are protesting in general. I might not agree on issues but that doesn't mean I am against them protesting. Protesting is peaceful. Once it gets violent, it is rioting and that is what a lot of this was. People got violent and destructive. They got violent when they were told they have to make room for people to egress and not block egresses, sidewalks, etc. Protesters have a responsibility to organize and regulate themselves and their amounts gathering at any one time at any one place. Be responsible and be respectful.

May 9, 24 7:40 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Oh no. Blocked sidewalks vs. bulldozed homes. What will I do. Cross the street.

May 9, 24 8:28 am  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

Yeah, sorry but no. No one's protest is important enough to block the sidewalk. We're not the owns destroying homes so they can take their thoughts and prayers elsewhere and leave the rest of us alone. The problem is thousands of km away, not here.

May 9, 24 9:18 am  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Canada, the ass end of American Imperialism. Just don't fuck with our poutine and the puppy lives.

May 9, 24 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Poutine is a national treasure. I’d be on the front line for that protest. That’s something worth my time!

May 9, 24 10:11 am  · 
 · 

b3tadine, what will you do? Pay for the repairs and rebuild of the the homes. You destroy it or damage them, you pay for it. Period. Otherwise, take your bullshit elsewhere.

May 9, 24 11:56 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

what is Archinect doing about antisemitism is my question… 

May 9, 24 12:16 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

From The River To The Sea.

May 9, 24 6:30 am  · 

antisemitism? Where? Saying Israel shouldn't exist isn't antisemitism. It is an opinion on the whole establishing of Israel by U.S. and the UK in the first place after the historic Israel fell over 1000 years ago. There hadn't been a Kingdom of Israel (which is how a historically correct Israel government) in a long time. There hadn't been the Pharisees, Essenes, and Sadducees in any sort of governance role in a long time. That system of government doesn't exist and had not exist in a long time. Today's Israel that U.S. and UK artificially created and imposed into the area is nothing like the old Kingdom. It was created to model aspects of the United States and other western european nation government structure to some extent.

Creating it caused problems ever since and became a triggering point that began making U.S. be seen as enemies to Islamic people when creating it was basically flipping the bird at Islam and Islamic believers. Jews didn't legitimately fought for the land back. It was outsiders from outside the area that forced the creation.

May 9, 24 7:54 am  · 

You do realize the original meaning of 'from the river to the sea' is a statement of wanting genocide right?

May 9, 24 9:18 am  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm assuming you have zero problem with, " from sea to shining sea"? Educate yourself. https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/from-the-river-to-the-sea/

May 9, 24 9:48 am  · 

However, educate yourself further, "from sea to shining sea" has nothing to do with Jews or Israel. Its an idiom used in the song America the Beautiful in 1911 which referred to the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean and poetic way of referring to the vastness of the United States that it spanned from one ocean to another with they dynamic and beautiful landscape in between. This predates bullshit misappropriation of the phrase.

From river to Sea is a more apt reference to the "genocide" and ousting of Israel from existence. As the Jordan river is a river not a sea. No logic to refer to it as a sea. 

May 9, 24 11:51 am  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

I created a trap. Let's see who falls into it and how Archinect reacts ;) If Archinect doesn't react, then they'll have a BIG problem from us Jews. Learning from BLM.

May 9, 24 12:10 pm  · 
1  ·  1

b3ta - I know what the phrase 'currently means' to some. That's not what it means to Hamas. 

I do understand that even the Jewish people don' agree on the phrases meaning. 

https://apnews.com/article/riv...

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/09...

https://jewishcurrents.org/new...

I've always hated  the phrase 'from sea to shining sea' though.  

May 9, 24 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

BulgarBlogger wrote:

" I created a trap. Let's see who falls into it and how Archinect reacts ;) If Archinect doesn't react, then they'll have a BIG problem from us Jews. Learning from BLM. "

You created nothing.  

Wanting the war is Gaza to stop is not antisemitic. 

May 9, 24 12:33 pm  · 
7  · 

The use of the phrase "from sea to shining sea" is a misuse of the idiom used in the song for a very inappropriate and out of context meaning. Can people stop taking lines from such songs and misusing for some bullshit. "From river to sea" phrase makes contextual sense to the goal or agenda but that doesn't mean I support the idea necessarily. The idea of genocide isn't appropriate. Sending the Jews packing and exiling them from that land is not the same as genocide. 

Today's Israel wasn't created by Jews fighting and taking back their old land. They didn't form a migrant nation and fought for it. They lost in war and lost their land in war. They got the boot. Then subsequently occupiers took over after the prior occupiers collapsed. Ultimately leading to the Ottoman Empire. U.S. and UK essentially created Israel as it is today. Otherwise, it would not have existed. They be consumed by Iraq or Syria or Egypt or possibly Saudi Arabia. Speaking of Israel as a country being a middle-finger to Islam by the U.S. and UK is more closer to fact than fiction in history. This again is not antisemitic. It is about insensitivity of U.S. and UK and their pompous arrogant asses imposing the creation of Israel which was vile to Islam. This was like the most insensitive and disrespectful thing to them. The idea of a Jewish state/kingdom of Israel was and to an extent hated and despised. They were historic enemies at one time. There is bad blood spanning milleniums.

It isn't about the religion or the "race". It is about the simple fact that it was a wrong that was made in the first place. It lit up the ire of every Islamic nation of the middle east. It wasn't welcomed. It was imposed. This is precisely why Israel will fall eventually. The other nations will continue off and on to take down Israel and eventually will do it. You can't be hated by everyone in the neighborhood and not eventually be forced ousted. Israel people is a story of a people who kept losing their land (which by the way, they took by force). Was the historic Israel Kingdom actually good guys or villains? That's an interesting story.

May 9, 24 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

They didn't get the boot after the first occupiers but they did eventually got the boot. Sorry, the statement they got the boot came to mind before I elaborated on the them being occupied by one occupier after another. Eventually, they got occupied by a less friendly occupier. Many fled to Europe and abroad. Some stayed and a percentage of those that stayed eventually over generations converted to Islam. So the percentage of the population dwindled. Most in Judea in the late 19th century were some form of Islam or Arabic religion of some kind or sort. Jews were less common in the land than they were in the age of Jesus and before. Islam was the dominant religion. Then came the Brits and Americans to mess with shit thinking they know better. Yep, the mentality. They pissed people off for sure. So why should Israel as a nation continue to exist? Isn't there something wrong with these people constantly in conflict with their neighbors and not be good neighbors. They were already an unwelcomed imposed nation-state into the neighborhood. So yeah, there's bad blood. Why continue should Israel continue when they become villains? Isn't that a seeming recurring theme in history of the Jews?

May 9, 24 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Hamas needs to be eradicated. The human toll is a disaster, but every war is. No one wants the Palestinians as a people to be eradicated. Just the leadership that wants to eradicate Israel.

May 9, 24 2:14 pm  · 
3  · 

First, Hamas isn't the entire leadership of Palestineans. What Israel should be doing is not bombing but sending snipers and tactical teams with silencers and such and pop these people in the heads using discrete tactics. You know, take a more strategic and tactical approach to combating enemy forces without killing innocent people. Simply, stop with the missile bombing attacks and use people and guns. More surgical and tactical. These missiles is like using TNT to kill a fly. Israel leadership is just as genocidal as Hamas. Why? They are basically bombing the whole damn Gaza Strip laying in ruins and out to kill all the Palestineans. Those that fled won't be allowed back. It's just a way to take over the Gaza Strip and kick tell surviving Palestineans you are no longer allowed back as you all vacated and abandoned the Gaza Strip so no more Palestine. They are doing this as a land grab with genocidal tactics.

May 9, 24 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 

I think Hamas is bad. I also think part of the Israel nation-state leadership is bad. Two opposing villains with innocent people getting hurt or killed.

May 9, 24 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Nice to see a ZIONIST BOT try to take over this forum again. For your info, Bulgar, there are many Jewish students also who are peacefully protesting.

May 13, 24 11:57 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

“…that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: ‘I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action’; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a ‘more convenient season.’ ”

May 9, 24 8:24 am  · 
7  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The right of the Jewish people to the land of Israel is eternal and indisputable… therefore, Judea and Samaria will not be handed to any foreign administration; between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty. —Likud Party Platform, 1977 

https://www.thenation.com/article/world/its-time-to-confront-israels-version-of-from-the-river-to-the-sea/

May 9, 24 10:43 am  · 
1  ·  1

Where's the proof. Where's God? If it was eternal, why were they "homeless" for a 1000+ years. The land of Israel won't be eternal. It will be melted one day. Give enough time, it will be grounded up and melted as it goes under the continental plate of another continent or it be melted by the sun some day in the distant future.

The planet is not eternal. Our right to live on this planet isn't a right. It is just the privilege of nature. We just happen live in a time when the planet can support human life but that isn't eternal. Eventually the planet will no longer support humans and humans on this planet will be extinct. That's quite short of eternal.

May 9, 24 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
h0wl

Just a reminder that 100% of AIPAC-sponsored elected officials recently won their elections. The US govt has funded that country in amounts that could've completely resolved domestic issues of student debt, homelessness, collapsing infrastructure, etc. Nothing to see here, just good old-fashioned "political action" and unobstructed "democracy." Zionist groups in the USA have held auctions for the bombed, demolished sites of Palestinian land with plans already developed (just a side perk of 'eradicating Hamas' definitely not the whole point). Oh yeah and isn't it now illegal 'anti-semitism' to use logic and direct quotes from the perpetrators to point any of this out now? 

I wish the protestors luck, but it seems they're up against an unstoppable force, and ultimately will just get expelled, a criminal record, an ass whooping if not all of the above. 

May 9, 24 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

How about not protest and out fund the AIPAC. Politicians don't listen to people who don't put money in their pockets. It is all about $$$. Put up $$$ or STFU is the rules.

May 9, 24 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

Protesting is literally the flavor of the day, with woke social media warriors.

Where is the protesting for Uyghurs in China?

Where is the protesting for Janjaweeds killing and raping people in Darfur?

Where is the protesting for Hutus killing Tutsis?

Where is the protesting for ongoing Cambodian genocide?

Where is the protesting for Serbs, Croats and Muslims in Bosnia?

This is all bullshit roos for what is shared on Tik Tok and pumped into the fucking media because you bet your ass nearly every kid out there has a iPhone that very well went through a Uyghur labor camp or a Nike shoe that was built by an imprisioned child. These kids just want their day in the sun to pump their chests or they would have more skin in the game for genocides that have been going on forever, some fueled by American capitalists. Too bad they can't be bothered....

May 9, 24 5:56 pm  · 

I wouldn't say protesting is the 'flavor of the day'.  

Like it or not - protests happen when an issue that people don't like get enough attention. 

Look at the civil rights movement, gay rights, apartheid, reproductive rights, voting rights, immigration. All of these issues have been negatively impacting people for a long time. It's not that people didn't care about these things before the protests. It's just that most people aren't aware and/ or didn't understand the issues.

I'm sure some people involved in any protest are disingenuous and aren't actually there to make things better.  That doesn't negate the rest of the protesters or their message.  This is regardless of the message and if we agree with it.  

May 9, 24 6:26 pm  · 
2  ·  1

Protesting isn't going to get politicians to do anything. You didn't pay your dues. You need to pay to be heard or to be listened to by politicians. Give them money more than the opposition and they'll care more about your agenda than the other guy.

You have to pay the dues for politicians to give an f---. 

May 9, 24 6:34 pm  · 
1  · 

Short: You got to pay the dues, man.

May 9, 24 6:35 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

panda, you're too fucking stupid for me to explain a very simple fact. Yes, end of the genocides.

May 9, 24 6:36 pm  · 

Keep it civil.

May 9, 24 6:41 pm  · 
1  ·  1
pandahut

Hahahaha. B3sardine says as he types from his iPhone constructed by a child in a labor camp.

May 9, 24 6:43 pm  · 
2  ·  1
b3tadine[sutures]

You’re absolutely correct; destroy capitalism. Destroy imperialism.

May 11, 24 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Another Zio with their whataboutism. Surprised panda didnt bring Antisemitism into the mix lol.

May 13, 24 11:58 am  · 
1  · 

Greetings from the glorious East LA!!!

May 9, 24 6:46 pm  · 
1  · 

How is East LA doing?

May 9, 24 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Smell LA

May 10, 24 2:23 am  · 

Chad, East LA is very civilized. Students very peacefully presented their opposition to war and flat-out genocide in Gaza, now and for over fifty years. It didn't start on Oct 6.
In my view, Israel in the long run, is the biggest loser in this.

May 10, 24 3:52 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Israel has lost, and will never recover.

May 10, 24 5:34 pm  · 
1  · 

Orhan - I'm glad to hear the protests in East LA are going well!

May 11, 24 11:44 am  · 
2  · 

Thank you. Last week I was at USC doing final reviews. It was a weird scene with a lot of police control but no harmful protests in and outside the campus. It was cleared of peaceful protesting students a few days ago at dawn. Police presence and traffic control were over the top and unnecessary. A few hundred Israel supporters were circling the campus and chanting "bring them back" with American and Israeli flags. These people were openly supporting apartheid and genocide. They were mostly JDL types ready to inflict violence if "Hamas supporters" (?) counter protested them.

May 11, 24 10:51 pm  · 
2  · 
pandahut

B3 lets hear your brilliant idea to stop the war between Hamas and IDF you fucking Muppet.

May 9, 24 6:47 pm  · 
1  ·  1

Keep it civil or leave pandahut.  If you want to trade insults do it via PM.  

May 9, 24 6:48 pm  · 
1  ·  1
pandahut

Chad your prejudice is showing B3sardine said something first you didn't tell him to leave, just keep it civil...just saying baby.

May 9, 24 7:01 pm  · 

Try again. 

The first keep it civil was to everyone.  The second was just to you because you're not being civil.  

No one is singling you out for your views.    You're just acting like a jerk and I'm telling you knock it off.  

May 10, 24 9:49 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My brilliant idea? Simple. Stop sending Israel billions of US tax dollars. Jail the leaders of this genocide. Force a one state solution. Bring in UN forces into Gaza and West Bank, until one state occurs. Israel can either be theocratic ethnostate, or it can be a democracy, it can’t be both. No blood and soil nationalism, anywhere.

May 11, 24 1:20 pm  · 
5  · 

I agree with that. They are suppose to be their own country, right? Why is U.S. tax dollars being spent on all these other countries and not in the U.S. If we are going to be spending tax dollars on them, they need to become U.S. territories and also contribute as tax payers to the U.S. If you are going to be a sovereign nation, then you need to be truly independent and not be a subsidiary of another nation. If you are funded by other nations then you aren't independent. Therefore, you aren't a nation but a territory of another nation. Take care of yourselves and stop leaching off U.S. taxpayers tax dollars. You probably get supported enough by U.S. citizens and others abroad that visits or buy goods and stuff from Israel.

May 11, 24 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Unless Israel is a U.S. territory, we shouldn't be spending so much. It is not a U.S. territory. Imagine what we could do for Puerto Rico with that money or even a portion of it. Just saying. We must not stop at Israel. Tax dollars should be to serve the U.S. not foreign interests which are not U.S. because they are independent interests serving separate individual goals which aren't always aligned. U.S. taxes needs and should remain domestic and taking care of things here. Stop neglecting our own country because none of them are going to come to help us, ever. They aren't going to and never would. This one sided relationship of serving other nations but they aren't contributing back in return. When have they ever actually done that. Not talking Israel specifically in the previous sentence but the larger world of nations we are funding.

May 11, 24 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Honestly, if we weren’t as dependent on Middle Eastern oil, perhaps there would be less protests, because the government could be more strict on immigration and visas from the Middle East, EVEN for students and professors (a large number of whom now have become anti-Israel influencers and activists). 

May 10, 24 2:27 am  · 

It is simple: Israel has engaged in more indiscriminate mass killing of innocent people than Hamas. Both are bad but right now, Israel is even worse. They are literally murdering and destroying the ENTIRE Gaza strip. There won't even be a place left for the citizens there to go back to. It's part of a plan to kill as many Palestineans as possible and relocate the remaining ones. They aren't going back and Gaza won't be rebuilt for the palestineans. It would be rebuilt for the Israel elites. They want it for more the coastal frontage. Israel is the bigger villain and doing the greater scale of harm in an indiscriminate manner. Yes, get rid of Hamas. At this point, get rid of Israel's current leadership regime entirely.

May 10, 24 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Middle Eastern oil is the only reason Israel exists, or rather is bolstered by western nations. Otherwise no one would give a rats ass.

May 13, 24 12:01 pm  · 
1  · 

probably true.

May 13, 24 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

Does Israel and Gaza both use the international building code?

May 10, 24 8:42 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Ironically, the IBC is really only an American thing.

May 10, 24 4:04 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

They use variants of IBC in the Middle East too (not including israel, the 51st state of the US lol)

May 15, 24 6:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Wasn't following much of these. Are people out in the street breaking stores and looting sneakers yet? 

Personally, I think the stupid government should fix the high inflation and housing price first before sending all these money to help Israel or Ukraine or minding their business. Man, the housing price and interest rate is absurd these days. A small fixer upper is around $400K-500K here. A decent single family house is $700K. Combine that with 7% rate. Who can make that mortgage payment. Middle class is screwed. 

May 10, 24 9:35 am  · 
1  · 

The US makes more money helping Israel and Ukraine than fixing the economy.

May 10, 24 9:54 am  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

We have a President who is so stupid he recently said he inherited a 9% inflation rate from Trump. When Trump left office the inflation rate was 1.4%

May 10, 24 10:57 am  · 
2  ·  2

Actually it was 4.7%. Also, inflation rate of a current is created by the previous 2-4 years of economic policies and decisions.

May 10, 24 11:00 am  · 
1  · 
drums please, Fab?

source for the 4.7% in january 2021?

May 10, 24 11:26 am  · 
1  · 

My mistake - that was the average for 2021. It was 1.4 % in Jan of 2021.  Sorry about that!  

The remainder of my statement is correct though.  The inflation rate is created by the economic decisions from the previous 2-4 years.  

https://www.usinflationcalcula...

May 10, 24 11:29 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

When Trump left office we were in a pandemic he let happen. Capitalism is the reason inflation went, and is as high as it is. It's not money supply, because if that was the case inflation in the aughts should've been 10% or higher.

May 10, 24 1:55 pm  · 
2  · 
drums please, Fab?

Inflation? Blame Trump. Pandemic? Blame Trump. You guys are hilarious.

May 10, 24 2:17 pm  · 

I haven't dug into the numbers being shared here to verify them, but just a quick reminder that you *cannot* take inflation numbers Volunteer posts at face value. He has a track record of misrepresenting them in these forums. For more, see my comments on his thread here: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150298028/inflation

May 10, 24 2:27 pm  · 
2  · 
drums please, Fab?

you also *cannot* take inflation numbers Chad posts at face value. he has a track record of misrepresenting them in these forums. for more, see my comments above in this thread right here.

May 10, 24 3:52 pm  · 

Donald Trump is not a good business financials man. Okay, he has some individual traits that are fine in business but he's more marketing and "hard-nose negotiation blustering" kind of person. Sure, pay as little and penny pinching. That's Donald. That isn't the entire skill set to be successful in business. Running a country, while it shares some aspects with large complex businesses, it is also not the same as businesses, either. While Trump's business is large and has all these business units which were businesses on paper more than actual operating businesses. Donald Trump's business is not very complex. It had relatively few employees and departments and rather simplistic structure. Very different than a country like the U.S. You have many departments, agencies, etc. Donald Trump never operated a real operating corporation with complex organizational structure of operating business units with different markets. You know, like mega-conglomerate businesses which have many operating subsidiaries, business units, covering multiple different market sectors with many different product lines and as a real serious business although his business is sort of a conglomerate in that it is real estate, scamming people with crap items, and golf resorts. He doesn't have any real R&D departments. He has no in-house manufacturing that is typical of mega conglomerate in the public traded stock market. He never ran and operated as CEO of a public traded company of this kind. His limited experience running any company that is traded on the stock market is very limited. I believe he's his previous time with "Wall Street" was a spectacular fail in a business which should never had failed. You know... casinos... you know "The House always wins far more than its losses would be". 

His Trump Hotels & Casinos (later called Trump Entertainment Resorts, Inc.) You know the kind of business where you should never fail because its rigged in your favor as that is how casinos operate. Damn, he failed spectacularly at that. Until 2004, he was actively involved. Possibly more than the Trump Medias company thing. It already was losing big under his active leadership. It was a sinking ship by the time he handed the reigns to others who didn't recover the business but the history is atrocious. Even before Trump got into the hotels and casino business, he bought these failing businesses. Guess what, Trump failed, too. He's not good at recovering a failing business. For a number of reasons, 1) He doesn't possess the knowledge and skills to do it. 2) He makes bad decisions that bites him in the ass later. 

Bottom line: He isn't very good at business and is not very good at numbers. The people he hire, they aren't hired for being good. They were hired for loyalty. He doesn't hire people who are smart. He hires people who are loyal. Mostly C- average kind of folks that does what he wants and are loyal. People who are smart, frankly won't work for him or for very long. They'll leave him in a heartbeat. Also smart people who are smarter than him would see through his b.s. and not do what he wants. 

His Trump Media business isn't necessarily doing super well. More like a meme stock but probably implode when people start en masse cashing out. Do it before Donald Trump can cash out and boy will that hurt his pocket and wallet.

May 10, 24 4:02 pm  · 
1  · 

I have no rational faith in him successfully and competently running the United States and performing the role of President of the United States when he doesn't place the right people into their roles who has competency in that role. He mismanages. He doesn't work well in a regulated public stock market. He doesn't work well in such a regulated business environment. He can't so easily do the shenanigans and fraud without getting caught.

May 10, 24 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

drums please, Fab? - The reason Volunteer isn't trusted here is because when he posts something that isn't correct he lies about it and states it as truth. He even posts things that he knows are lies.

When I post something that is incorrect I correct it and own up to my mistake.

May 11, 24 11:48 am  · 
4  · 

drums please, Fab? wrote: 

"Inflation? Blame Trump. Pandemic? Blame Trump. You guys are hilarious."

Well, those things were Trump's fault so he should be blamed.

May 15, 24 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

Went for lunch yesterday and there was a pro-Israel demonstration here in Chicago at Daley Plaza. Not a student protest per se, but full of young people. Regardless of which side of the conflict you are, one would imagine that at almost 40k civilian deaths later (plus millions of displaced people, and entire cities razed to the ground) reasonable thing to ask is to stop the conflict, first and foremost. However, the language of the protestors was very unapologetic. Had Netanyahu talked like that but with little bit more spice, he would join Putin on the list of people wanted by ICC.

May 15, 24 2:12 pm  · 
2  · 

I think if you only said 'stop the war' half the protesters would only agree if you supported their 'side'.

Now we'll get each 'side' but the other 'side' did this.

May 15, 24 3:15 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Wait, Netanyahu IS wanted by the ICC

May 15, 24 5:47 pm  · 
1  · 

Shhh, don't bring facts into this! ::end sarcasm::

May 15, 24 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

Since when is Netanyahu wanted? Was there an official arrest warrant issued by ICC?

May 15, 24 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

You're dealing with things other than facts on this topic. No arrest warrant has ben issued yet. There is speculation that a warrant could be issued by the ICC for Netanyahu in the future.  

May 16, 24 10:04 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

The only reason the ICC is holding out on warrants on Netanyahu, Ben Gvir, Smor-shit (or whatever his name is) is cuz of intense lobbying by uncle Blinken and gramps Biden.

May 16, 24 10:26 am  · 
1  · 

I don't care. You stated Netanyahu was wanted (arrest warrant issued) by the ICC. That has not happened yet. You're playing fast and loose with the facts to suit your view.  There is no need to do that. 

May 16, 24 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
logonslogin

Do you think ICC prosecutors will be intimidated by a dozen dangerously fanatical senators from the USA? They better watch out for what they say about nuking the Middle East (Lindsey Graham) and killing all the Palestinians and Muslim forces in the region before they receive arrest warrants themselves.

May 16, 24 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

JCL-1 wrote: 

"some republican senators threatened the ICC prosecutor if that makes you care " 

Nope, don't care. Still no arrest warrant from the ICC. Still doesn't make SOD's comment correct. I will only care if when the ICC issues a warrant for Netanyahu.

Just to be clear:  I think the ICC should issue a warrant for Netanyahu.  It hasn't happened (yet).

May 16, 24 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: