Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

no_form
"we can't just ignore the laws or it makes us basically a bunch of criminals." - RWCB PBD

Law #1. If a building is taller than 20'-0" it is not an exempt structure in the state of Oregon.

Richard Balkins, you are under arrest for practicing architecture without a license. you have the right to remain silent...
May 26, 16 2:27 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You people are ruining TC.  Stop it. You are making me sad. 

This is me caring about any of this:

May 26, 16 8:02 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'm not a licensed architecture but neither am I practicing architecture, but surely Richard if you want to build and design why don't you get a license?

I don't understand your rationality in not getting it, other than cost which can easily be taken care of.

May 26, 16 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Archi he can't finish anything he started and the system is out to get him man. Plus his professors were hella stupid. That's his argument in two sentences.
May 26, 16 8:38 am  · 
 · 

senator john I'm that little girl crying next to you not caring.

Richard, seriously: you're being annoying. Go do some work. This forum is supposed to be a *break* from stress, and you're 1. getting overly stressed and 2. stressing out everyone else. Not to mention starting witch hunts all over our profession - both you going after others and now with the CPBD or whatever thread people going after *you* -  that don't make the world a better place.

You often make short pithy comments that are funny. Stick to those for awhile, and get some real work done.

I for one am looking forward to a four-day weekend of charetting my ass off on my overdue freelance jobs! No rest for me. But I'll proudly say this: my husband's business is taking on a college student intern and not only is he paying her more than minimum wage we're feeding and housing her for the term of the internship for free. THAT is how you treat interns, folks. I'm certain wHY isn't doing as well by their interns.

May 26, 16 9:06 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Sorry lack of sleep I meant Architect not architecture..maybe I should get more than 5 hours of sleep a day? meh who though.

May 26, 16 9:22 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yes dude, at least 6 hours. the frank beamer clip is priceless......richard be gone.

May 26, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've roasted up so many marshmallows on Balkarina's dumpster fires.

May 26, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Letting 15 years to lapse by is an atrocity. 

If we wait for a sinless person without guilt to enforce the laws and rules, then all laws and rules would be meaningless. 

We have to pick up the stones and cast them.

Um...  that isn't how my Sunday school teacher explained the story about casting stones.  Also you need to google some actual atrocities for perspective and get a grip.

On another topic:  my website has been down for a week due to some kerfluffle with the host server.  I've gotten more cold calls this week than ever before. Are these two things connected?  Should I leave the site dead for a few months and see what happens? 

May 26, 16 10:44 am  · 
 · 

kjdt, it's great news that you're getting calls...I don't believe in "signs", though. Only signifiers.

May 26, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Thanks jla-x. My husband is a good man. And I actually love having houseguests. it keeps me on good behavior!

You guys, this is a lovely project but...what does "Nursing home for heavy disabled persons" mean? Do they mean "heavily" aka severely? Their therapy is mineral baths.

May 26, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Donna when you say "room and board", is it a real room? indoors?  I'm only asking because a few years ago I worked in a firm where an intern was living in the owner's firewood shed.  Not joking. He had bathroom privileges, but I don't think they were feeding him. He seemed to be living on Chinese food and bagels which were the only offerings within reasonable bicycling distance.  I started bringing him vegetables.

May 26, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Oh FFS. That's awful. No, we have a lovely master bedroom with a door to the back yard and an en suite bathroom. We renovated it a couple years ago and have never moved into it ourselves as we find ourselves having a lot of houseguests. I like for guests to have an en suite rather than share the family bathroom. Only problem is the trim work isn't quite done yet - haven't filled the nail holes in the baseboards, or painted them, or trimmed the window.

May 26, 16 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Also I'm a pretty good cook, and we are four blocks from a business district node with restaurants and stores.

May 26, 16 10:56 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, you should have the intern finish the nail holes and painting. Sounds like they have a pretty great setup, it's the least he/ she could do. 

Once upon a time, a boss provided me with heavily discounted housing... the apartment was bizarre - maybe 2400 sq ft divided into two rooms... carpet in the kitchen, and a single bathroom no bigger than 4' 6" x 6'... the vanity wasn't over the sink... made shaving kinda tough.

Oh yeah, it was located directly adjacent to, actually in, the town junkyard... where they frequently burned stacks of tires. Why? I don't know. It's what rednecks in colorado do. Once saw the guy who lived across the junkyard from me lean out his window and shoot a dear that had wandered close enough. mmm nothing like some tasty junkyard venison. The heavy metals add so much flavor.

May 26, 16 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Did you guys notice there is a Global Edition and a UK Edition of Archinect? See the bottom of the left column. Hover your mouse or finger over the GE to see UK E.

May 26, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Hey David Cole. Congrats and keep kicking ass over there in Washington. Love that photo. Thats why I moved to Colorado. In the words of Jim Morrison... The West is the Best!

May 26, 16 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Orhan. I briefly jumped to the uk version. There was nothing that jumped out at me other than an article about london. I guess I only looked at the forum page. Care to highlight the details?

May 26, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Richard, seriously: you're being annoying. Go do some work. This forum is supposed to be a *break* from stress, and you're 1. getting overly stressed and 2. stressing out everyone else. Not to mention starting witch hunts all over our profession - both you going after others and now with the CPBD or whatever thread people going after *you* -  that don't make the world a better place.

You often make short pithy comments that are funny. Stick to those for awhile, and get some real work done.

I for one am looking forward to a four-day weekend of charetting my ass off on my overdue freelance jobs! No rest for me. But I'll proudly say this: my husband's business is taking on a college student intern and not only is he paying her more than minimum wage we're feeding and housing her for the term of the internship for free. THAT is how you treat interns, folks. I'm certain wHY isn't doing as well by their interns.

Donna, 

Sounds like a good plan. 

I hear ya about the charetting. 

May 26, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I had a job early on where the owners expected that I'd want to rent an apartment in a nearby building they owned.  They seemed a little offended that I found an apartment elsewhere.  I didn't love the apartments they owned, but more importantly I was afraid that if the job didn't work out I'd still have them as my landlords and it could be awkward and unpleasant.  There was another job for which I interviewed (but didn't get) where it seemed to be an automatic assumption that I'd rent the top level, above the firm, of a 3-story Victorian house in a small downtown.  The living space was huge and had nice potential, but I probably would have felt trapped in that building all day and night.  For the length of a summer internship I guess that's different, and if you're a good cook then she should stay happy!

May 26, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the UK version doesn't have forums.  the menu on the left rubber bands for us global citizens, but it's only direct links for those in the UK.

i had an interview with an out of town company that had 2 principals.  seemed to me one of them was kind of pushing me to buy/rent a house from him.  probably rent, but i didn't really move the discussion in a direction that would allow for more detail.  seemed right off it was a huge conflict of interest, as bloopox is saying.  i felt the other principal liked me and was ready to hire me on the spot, but i wonder if essentially not giving a kickback to the other guy is what prevented me from getting hired there.

donna's case is different of course, since there is probably already a set end-date for he intern when they go back to school.  if things don't work out for whatever reason, they should be in an easy place to get up and walk out, and i doubt mr. donna is going to leverage the living situation against the working situation.  kind of mean they would put someone in a shoddy room with unfinished trim though.

May 26, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Now I feel bad about the unfinished trim...the cobbler's kids have no shoes.

It's only 6 weeks. Definitely an internship, not a temp job that may or may not turn into a full-time job.

May 26, 16 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Back in grad school there was a small firm in suburban NYC (Scarsdale, I think) that appeared on the co-op list each semester, where free housing was advertised as part of the deal. A friend of mine did a co-op there, and upon arrival discovered that the "free housing" was basically a rundown cottage in the owner's back yard, shared with one or two other interns, and they'd get chewed out if the owner thought you were spending too much time at home and not enough time at the office. It was one of a few firms that always appear on the co-op list, but had enough of a bad reputation that students would avoid it like the plague unless they literally had no other options that semester.

Years ago I was doing some full-time freelance work for a friend in Chicago, and he let me live rent-free in a pretty swank apartment in his building in addition to paying me a monthly stipend. It was a good deal at the time and I couldn't really complain, but I felt a bit put upon whenever he'd knock on my door out of the blue and ask him to fix his computer or something. Eventually I found a full-time job at a firm and agreed to enter a lease and pay market rent for the apartment, and it was pretty amicable. But I probably still would've eventually gotten another apartment elsewhere if I had stayed in Chicago.

May 26, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

UK ARCHINECT REPRESENTING, WE'LL HAVE YOU BACK AS COLONIES SOON.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

May 26, 16 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

@wurdan + Orhan, I hadn't noticed although a week or two ago I did notice that Archinect now has an Operations Manager...

It appears as if all the content (news, features etc is the same). Although I wonder if they will start segmenting out at some point...

May 26, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

UK ARCHINECT REPRESENTING, WE'LL HAVE YOU BACK AS COLONIES SOON.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

I've always meant to file my papers for Canadian citizenship...same Queen, at least.

May 26, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Ya'll are days late to celebrate Queen Vicotoria Day/open up the cottages weekend.

May 26, 16 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

*BUMP*

May 27, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

How oh how am I supposed to get any work done today when my Twitter is constantly showing me new images and thoughts from Venice?!?

May 28, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Big news today: My partner and I are moving to Kigali, Rwanda. He just got a job with Mass Design Group and we're like, over the f*ckin MOON. Going to scope out the city in 3 weeks and moving for good in August.

Downside: our flights to Venice for September are now invalid because apparently American Airlines doesn't fly to Kigali and so can't change our tickets. Big sad faces... 

Guess I'm getting booted into the world of freelance sooner than I anticipated. Any archinecters hanging out in East Africa these days?

May 30, 16 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

It's a very different kind of country than Canada or U.S.

May 30, 16 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Says the guy who has never left his parents basement.
May 31, 16 12:13 am  · 
 · 

No_Form,

Since you really don't know me, why don't you shut the fuck up. It doesn't take much rocket science to know that Rwanda is significantly different in many ways to Canada and United States. 

Different government. Different laws. Different cultures. Different geographic environment. Different economic environment. Different animals in the wild as well. Different geopolitical environment as well.

In short, Rwanda is substantially different so it is important to brace the changes. Lets remember that once you get out of the office of that firm and get out and about a bit, it is going to be foreign experience to what Stephanie experienced in Canada or the U.S. 

May 31, 16 1:40 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Hey I bet exempt building laws in Rwanda are different too!

Maybe you can finally become an architect?! But to do that you'd have to leave your parents basement and become an adult. Scary!!!
May 31, 16 2:16 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Stephanie, that sounds bloody awesome! Hopefully one day I'll take a risky adventure like that!

May 31, 16 4:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Stephanie, that sounds wonderful.

Balkarino, find another hobby.
May 31, 16 7:31 am  · 
 · 
Stephanie, a friend of mine worked for Mass a few years ago and loved Kigali. Hope you do as well.

I bet Balkins Wikipedia'd that knowledge of his.
May 31, 16 8:14 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

"Since you really don't know me, why don't you shut the fuck up. It doesn't take much rocket science to know that Rwanda is significantly different in many ways to Canada and United States."

Then why did you need to state it?

"It's a very different kind of country than Canada or U.S."

Honest question, have you been medically examined for autism?

May 31, 16 8:52 am  · 
 · 

Best of luck Stephanie. As you get situated, keep an eye out for UN/embassy foke. They're not archinectors, but have some unique insights.

May 31, 16 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Congrats, Stephanie! My husband and I are also feeling the "fuck it, we're outta here!" attitude right now. Not sure if it will lead to any major change or not, and we may be forced into one, too. What's the zeitgeist right now: resilience? nimbleness?
May 31, 16 9:07 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Donna just do it, I'm thinking of doing it too. I'll quit my BIM job and just get a architect job in SEA.

May 31, 16 9:08 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I just want to win the lottery.  Then I'll work whenever I feel like it. 

May 31, 16 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

congrats, SB! hopefully you can still post from there. 

May 31, 16 9:48 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I have two friends who are living there at the moment.  One is married with a family.  He has been there for a number of years. He grew up on a farm and is working with locals in helping them with sustainable farming.  Yup he be a farmer.  The other person is there teaching English as a second language.  They both seem to be quite content, and are not headed back here anytime soon.

Enjoy your adventure Seph!

May 31, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Thanks guys! 

SDD - so great. I have heard that many expats who go to Rwanda for a few months end up staying years. It sounds like an amazing place with wonderful people. My partner's cousin has been working in Kigali doing something similar to what your friend is doing with sustainable farming.

What I'm really looking forward to is 25 and (mainly) sunny every day until the end of time. No more Toronto winters!!

Mass tells us the internet is good at their office and I'll probably be hanging around until they give in and hire me too (I'm eyeballing teaching something at their new African Design Centre) so expect posts for sure! I was even thinking of starting a new blog here on Archinect to talk about design/arch/landscape in East Africa. 

Balkins. I'm getting 'BRACE THE CHANGES' written on a shirt. Not sure if you meant "brace for changes" or "embrace the changes" but either way, sound advice. 

May 31, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Stephanie is a badass, she'll rock there too.

I miss Miles.
May 31, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

once Trump becomes president, even Yemen will look enticing.

Congrats Stephanie, sounds fun.

May 31, 16 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

It's still a very politically, culturally, 'delicate' area. They just been through conflicts in the 1990s and into the first decade of the 2000s. There is still a lot of deep emotions still. There are still people who haven't stop fighting the war. To those particular people, its just a ceasefire until it flares up again. 

It would be important for any foreigner going there for any length of time to not takes sides or force political views on people who live there for their entire lives. Stephanie is going to be viewed as an outsider or foreigner. There is going to be black lash against her and anyone like her by some because she's not one of them (ie. not a natural born Rwandan). It would be trying at the very least. Emotionally distressing at times. There will be those who would support her. 

As for internet, I'm sure in the main city area, internet is a bit more modern and broadband access levels. 

I surely wish Stephanie her best and for strength to persevere and tenacity to handle the changes that is bound to be experienced. I wish her best. Be prepared for the challenges ahead. 

May 31, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

I kinda love this attitude: I'll probably be hanging around until they give in and hire me too

I think that's the attitude vado took toward his ex-girlfriend-future-wife. Seems workable!

You guys, I'm overwhelmed by keeping up with Biennale coverage. We're supposed to talk about it on the podcast tomorrow and I can't keep up! Patrik is frothing, Betsky flipflopped, Detroit Resists is sounding reasonable, Aravena is sexist....it's hard out here for a podcaster!

May 31, 16 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

wow, yet again balkins, jla-x actually went to africa and spoke of his actual experience and it's nothing at all like what you've described.  while it could be much different in tanzania, experience in the neighboring country points towards it not being at all as you've described (which can safely be assumed is wrong anyways).    

please do tell us about the moon though.  i'm sure you have some very accurate assumptions about what it's like there too.  

May 31, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: