Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

You know its beautiful being here in the islands, having windows that can open to the elements, let the breeze and sunshine in. Well eco friends I'm sure not many of you thought that you'd be letting in the bugs too. A HUGE mossy just landed on me, i was scared.

anyway just wanted to share that with you

May 7, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 

anyway i return to the world of work next week...do or die time

May 7, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Good luck to architechno and Gin.

I finally found a good housing post on craigslist that doesn't need anybody until September... right area, right price, right timing, I've just got to cross my fingers and hope they're willing to deal with an out-of-towner who can't come see it until the middle of august.

May 7, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i am having quite a few issues regarding former alumnae of the department of architecture i graduated from. a few of us alums went down to view the final thesis presentations and sit on the jury- and to say this politely- we were very disappointed with the student work.

when we each returned to our respective lives we decided to construct a "letter of concern" to state the alumnae concern as well as enforce our encouragement and ways to resolve the issues.

everyone agrees we are concerned- but there are two schools of thought as to why we are concerned.

what happened after that was just insane... the alumnae all started to bicker between each other --- the older alumnae (c/o 1994 and previous) began- in effect- a war against the newer alumnae (c/o 2000 and after) that we had not had the same "diffculties" as them in the program. it got so out of hand that certain alumnae had to be removed from communication.

to sum it up- i am completing the letter today. i have tried to keep everything positive and diplomatic- but after being copied on 50+ "reply to all" correspondences of nastiness between alums- i am pretty disappointed in the lack of professionalism and respect.

i was just wondering if anyone else has had any type of experience with trying to make strides in your department as alumnae and what types of things you did to achieve this?

May 7, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
+i

oh and did anyone see the de la hoya v. mayweather fight saturday night???!

May 7, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I don't care for boxing but de la Hoya seems like a nice guy. Did he win?

We have had parallel situations with our school, +i, as I imagine many schools do....do a search for "architecture school politics" or "Niland" and have a look.

Do you guys remember "3-2-1 Contact"? Well, this clip on You Tube is old school, but a nice afternoon break.

May 7, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
+i

wonderk--- we are actually in transition, which is why the alumnae want to assert some influence--- our department chairperson is stepping down in a few weeks, so the department will be looking for new guidance and hopefully progress in a new direction. we are quite a small school... but myself being quite familiar with other schools of architecture- i have kinda led the march (of the black turtlenecks)...

i was just kind of looking for personal experiences of people here on archinect...

May 7, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

as mentioned above, i saw the fight... i was hoping for more fireworks... but the result was about what i expected... i figured that mayweather would win if it went the distance... i thought that de la hoya's power/size might have been too much, particularly since mayweather came in under the max weight, but oscar didn't seem aggressive enough at the right times... it was a decent fight, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype/expectations that resulted from the whole 24/7 series... the first fight of the night was much more interesting... i hope to see more from both of those guys in the near future...

i'm looking forward to the jermain taylor v. cory spinks fight on the 19th...

May 7, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i saw the fight... i enjoyed the hbo preview that showed the background of each fighter actually. im a ufc fan, too, and it would be interesting if they did the same for ufc fighters as well. being MMA could prove some pretty interesting backgrounds

May 7, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

I noticed! I assume that means we get to keep you? Have the powers that be contacted you in any way about it, or are you just left to assume that you're ok until *wham* you're banned?

May 7, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I always find it really strange when they set a thread adrift. I feel as if I am suddenly bobbing for apples when I look for a thread.

May 7, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Damnit! Now I've got to start actually checking my facebook account in order to know what's going on at archinect? I'm sorry, but that blows.

May 7, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

so who exactly is tumbleweed? Hmm looking forward to finding out as time goes by.

Well this is my last week of 18+ hour participation on archinect, as I will be returning to work - bugger

May 7, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

techno, it will be odd to not have your presence here near-constantly, we will miss you. But good news that you are healthy again!!!! Your brain will be happy to get back to work I'm sure.

This news item seemed to have been overlooked - I think it's hilarious.

I'm off to bed - rough day today, early day tomorrow. G'night all.

May 7, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also, because you'll want to see an image after reading the link:

May 7, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Dear god....what is that creature doing to that poor old building......wait, is that supposed to be there? Who "designed" that, anyway?

May 7, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

It's like a Himmelblau on steroids...

May 7, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

i wonder if that architecture would be okay with swiss people's party?

May 7, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
n_

LB - That article was hilarious. It just made my night. Thanks!

May 7, 07 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
architects are just plagiarists who cannibalise sculpture

- Serra

May 7, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it makes my guts itch...

May 7, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

strip naked on an ant hill...medievel torture?

May 7, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

help!

I just finished up a fee proposal for a client (versus my usual architect to architect proposals). But...

I am unsure how to end the proposal...(I suspect just accept the bloody thing, I've already sold my soul for you - is a little too harsh)

May 8, 07 1:02 am  · 
 · 

please sign and return with a check thank you.

May 8, 07 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

good and bad news:

bad news = i'm really sick - fever and chills, puking, headache.

good news = i get to stay home and read archinect all day and maybe watch a couple dozen saved by the bell reruns.

May 8, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"If the above terms are acceptable to you, please sign and return one copy with a retainer check in the amount of $x,xxx. Thank you for the opportunity to work with you on your project, sincerely, Architechno"

May 8, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Strawbeary - we'll keep you entertained then. Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well though.

May 8, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 

aw, now that's the stuff we love lb for.

Strawbeary- I was just thinking about you the other day! Stephanie dropped in, and I was thinking that if you were here too, then we'd have some classic archinecting going on. Sorry you're feeling so badly.

May 8, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

for strawbeary

May 8, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ittttt's allll riiiiight

cuz i'm saved by the bellllll!

May 8, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Cameron Sinclair in the May/June issue of Men's Vogue

pg/ 104

May 8, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Random question - How do I alter my links to say snazzy things instead of web address?

For instance, if I wanted to link you to the Oscar Niemeyer thread, I would normally do this:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=57321_0_42_0_C

But I would prefer for it to say and link you to this:

Older Than An Octogenarian

Sorry, computers aren't my forte. Thank you.

May 8, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a relaxin evening two ice cold cervezas while chattin with my exgirfriend/future wife over there in cambridge engaland. had a salad for dinner and just enjoyed a thunderstorm while watchin the squid and the whale for the fifth or sixth time. i m a philistine.

May 8, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

n_ way down at the bottom of each thread, below the posting box, are two very faint lines of text in grey that hold the key to your wish.

Required code to post a link - [url =http://www.link.com]link[/url]
Required code to post an image - [img ]http://www.image.com/image.jpg[/img]

lb- you forgot a few x's for the amount of the retainer check. my practice will need at least $xxx,xxx before we start thinking or drawing.

May 8, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

n_ I stuck a few extra spaces in them so they would show up. practice a few times with the preview button in another thread.

May 8, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Oh yes, you rock treekiller. Thank you.

May 8, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Glad you enjoyed that silly article, n_, it really made me laugh.

I am so tired...sooooo tired. Goodnight.

May 8, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

i like the way tk asked to n_ to practice posting link in some other backyard.;.)

May 9, 07 12:58 am  · 
 · 

yea apparently TC is sacred ground.

May 9, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No, it's not about TC being sacred!

The preview button doesn't work on ANY thread after the first page! Or at least it didn't used to - I haven't tried it recently. Whenever I have a complicated link/image to post I go to a random one-page thread and preview there, then cut and paste it to the appropriate thread IF it works.

Archinect is like driving my 14 year old Miata - it has some quirks, you need to know about them for optimum use. My car's most embarassing quirck is when I turn off the lights they flip up and down for a minute or more - if I put the lights up during the day they getnerally stay up until i'm safely home in the garage that evening.

May 9, 07 7:03 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb is right, and glad I'm not the only person that does the "random one-page thread preview post". I just can't bring myself to make sloppy posts and I get rather embarrassed when I do.

I'm quite concerned about this wildfire in LA. silverlake mentioned it somewhere else on the board and then I wake up this morning and I see images like this. Scary.

May 9, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

And yes I previewed that in another thread first to make sure the picture would show up, lol.

May 9, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Has anybody been following the "Get Fuzzy" cartoon the past couple of weeks? Its pretty interesting, Architecturally speaking.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/070430/cx_getfuzzy_umedia/20073004

May 9, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i recieved a get fuzzy day calender from my great niece and nephew for xmas. its hilarious.

May 9, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the fires were pretty crazy...was in my office and the quality of the light changed suddenly (goes to a deep yellow)

there was billowing smoke behind the office (around 1:30 pm yesterday)

Went home and had a party...watched the fire from my apartment while listening to GnR...

I do have to agree with Tumbles about the above picture...LA is such a dichotomy of the urban and the natural and this picture illustrates it perfectly

May 9, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i also preview more complex posts on random 1 page threads...

this one is coming your way from the new apple store in manhattan:

...stopped in for a free/quick email check...this place is packed!

on the spot for WonderK:

(this is a mac, and since i'm not used to 'em, i previewed this post on the "favorite toy" thread)...

May 9, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how can i get my dandy warhola portrait?

May 9, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

sheetrockero n. a person who hangs drywall, also known as gypsum board or sheet rock. Also sheetroquero.

May 9, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

pragmatic not sacred. lb hit the nail on the head for why to practice elsewhere.

I spent the day at the landscape thesis review at the local u. I finally got to talk with some of the faculty over lunch and got encouraged to through my cv in the ring for being an adjunct next year- very tempting! The students have a wider range of talent and interests then my classmates from the ol' ivy league. there were a few were really provocative projects, a few who played very safe, and one with the strongest presentation song and dance routine (she should go into marketing) for a lackluster project that I've ever seen - it seemed that she spent more time on the presentation then on the project.

May 9, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so i was watching this flick "thank you for smoking" and in it the tobacco lobbyist goes to hollywood to get a mogul on board to put cigarettes in the movies. well while the mogul's assistant is showing the lobbyist around the mogul's asian inspired offices. the assistant says somehting like "jeff really designed everything. the architect just put the roomnames on the drawings" hilarious.

May 9, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: