anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]

What clashes here of wills gen wonts, oystrygods gaggin fishy-
gods! Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu
Ualu Ualu! Quaouauh! Where the Baddelaries partisans are still
out to mathmaster Malachus Micgranes and the Verdons cata-
pelting the camibalistics out of the Whoyteboyce of Hoodie
Head. Assiegates and boomeringstroms. Sod's brood, be me fear!
Sanglorians, save! Arms apeal with larms, appalling. Killykill-
killy: a toll, a toll. What chance cuddleys, what cashels aired
and ventilated! What bidimetoloves sinduced by what tegotetab-
solvers! What true feeling for their's hayair with what strawng
voice of false jiccup! O here here how hoth sprowled met the
duskt the father of fornicationists but, (O my shining stars and
body!) how hath fanespanned most high heaven the skysign of
soft advertisement! But was iz? Iseut? Ere were sewers? The oaks
of ald now they lie in peat yet elms leap where askes lay. Phall if
you but will, rise you must: and none so soon either shall the
pharce for the nunce come to a setdown secular phoenish.

Apr 3, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Sobs they sighdid at Fillagain's chrissormiss wake, all the hoolivans of the nation, prostrated in their consternation and their duodisimally profusive plethora ofululation. There was plumbs and grumes and cheriffs and citherers and raiders and cinemen too. And the all gianed in with the shout- most shoviality. Agog and magog and the round of them agrog. To the continuation of that celebration until Hanandhunigan'sextermination! Some in kinkin corass, more, kankan keening. Belling him up and filling him down. He's stiff but he's steady is Priam Olim ! 'Twas he was the dacent gaylabouring youth. Sharpe his pillowscone, tap up his bier! E'erawhere in this whorl would ye hear sich a din again? With their deepbrow fundigs and the dusty fidelios. They laid him brawdawn alanglast bed. With a bockalips of finisky fore his feet. And a barrowload of guenesis hoer his head. Tee the tootal of the fluid hang the twoddle of the fuddled, O!

Apr 3, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

What the f*ck is that?!?

Apr 3, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

SK- isn't that basically the plot of the 'Belly of an Architect'?

Apr 3, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You forgot about all the Figs. And that wierd scene with the naked photographer.

Apr 3, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

that was a great sex scene - but never got the fig reference

Apr 3, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

I am so confused.

Apr 3, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

....saw my doctor today and the stomach pains are a confirmed ulcer. i feel it's much worse, and my planned opening is in a few days....i saw her with him, again, and they were laughing.

Apr 3, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

was brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe.

is that easier to read?

Apr 3, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Did you two get together up there in MN and do some 'shrooms or something?

Apr 3, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i think it's the april snow storm that we're suffering through! snow!!!!!!

WK- a hint about the 'gibberish' is to look at the late 80's/early 90's academic projects exploring texts. you missed out on much of that fun.

Apr 3, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

well my nose is on the floor
&
my throat is about 34 grade sandpaper....thanks to all those sick bastards who passed it on

in other news head doctor should be prescribing medication anyday now

Apr 3, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

SK, when you jump off the balcony, please don't wreck the Boule model; it cost a fortune.

Apr 3, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

architechnophilia I'm there with you. I've been sick since last Tuesday, but increasingly non-functional since Friday.

Today:

Hours worked: 4

Hours spent steaming head: 3

$ spent on VapoRub, Ricola, Vaseline (for chappy lips), kleenex, and the weird nose dropper thing LB recommended: $20

whiny text messages to mdler: 3

Apr 3, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

well i'm here sipping ginger tea and i can actually swallow without cursing after...

my head is going from bouts of congestion to draining like a bloody faucet...german high design of course (dornbracht)

my skin itches and feels like leather....course but not the good kind

Apr 3, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I just had a total "a-ha" moment ... I've finally realized who garpike really is.

Apr 4, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Uh, ok, who? Besides the top half of the Garwondler?

Apr 4, 07 12:14 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm sorry, top 1/3. I am the middle 1/3.

Apr 4, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I went to UCLA with garpike ... and did not realize it until now. I was in the urban planning program, though. I think he was an M.Arch.

Apr 4, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I believe you are correct. You went to UCLA too? You're really covering a whole lot of university ground with your academic career, aren't you Smokety? ;o)

Apr 4, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

sorry you guys are sick. i called in sick yesterday but felt okay. prolly will get sick as it went from 75 to 35 degrees in about 12 hours. What do ya call somebody who likes cold dreary weather more than sunny warm weather???

Apr 4, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

normal.

Apr 4, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
aml

sorry, i just need to share that this makes no sense at all. i'm down here in south america but sick as well. which sucks because i have a ton of stuff to do and i have to be on a plane tomorrow morning. maybe the change of season is affecting the whole world and that's why everybody's getting sick?

Apr 4, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 

vado someone who prefers dreary weather to sunshine is either;

a a romantic or
b depressing - usually if they are single

Apr 4, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

aml

i don't think it's uncommon for people to get sick with the change
of seasons..

plus there's more pollen, more dust, more everything as things
change...but i think there is a general trend where people get sick
as temperature/pressure/etc change...bodies are very sensitive
to climactic changes...plus the fake heating and cooling we do to
buildings that causes your body to constantly adjust to different
temperatures all day long..

at least that's my opinion..although i'm not sick right now.

Apr 4, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

It's only going to get worse. Get used to it.

Apr 4, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh so i stayed home from work yesterday and while i was takin a break from my artistic painting endeavors, i flipped on the boob tube. i was watchin those twin antique dealin brothers on the rachel ray show and they split up into teams with one of em takin the husband and one the wife and went to the salvation army lookin for deals. and yes, while they were lookin one of dropped corbusier's name in reference to this cheap ass shelving unit that was for sale. and no it did not turn out to be a corbu piece. i just thought it was funny to hear corbu's name on daytime t.v. top that ellen.

Apr 4, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 

lars you have a point

sick building syndrome is serious stuff...

Apr 4, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I didn't want to derail this thread, but (and i mean this in the most respectful way possible) do you realize how much ass architects would get if brad pitt played one on a successful TV show?

Apr 4, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am middle aged and need to go to the dentist.

Apr 4, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

i need to return to the dentist, and am uncertain when my middle age is going to occur

Apr 4, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

vado: you are very eliotic

Apr 4, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I think I was sick most of the winter not because of pollen, or mold or
anyother thing except that my fuel bill was so damn high I kept the temperature down low day and night. I only realized this, when I discovered ice forming on my fingertips as I was typing away on the keyboard.

Apr 4, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

I swear my office building promotes illness. Someone here is always sick, and it seems to last twice as long as the illness of any of our spouses, children, or other friends.

Apr 4, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in the room the ladieez come and go
and speak of vado retero...

Apr 4, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
AP

awesome episode of This American Life from 1999:Urban Nature

hilarious and intriguing.

Apr 4, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

mid-afternoon in here. i had to go home and clear the dead possum from the yard that freaked out tina and the dogs. i wondered if one of the doggies killed the animal or it was a joint effort. i prefer they had nothing to do with it. every year there is a dead possum in the yard.i hate it when i am called for dead possum duty. it is also sad because when you look at those rat like animals, they have a very meaningful expression on their face. even when they are dead.
so i bagged the possum in a plastic bag and read a muslim prayer and put it in the trash which will be picked up tomorrow.
i am back in my office.

Apr 4, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

don't possums play dead?

Apr 4, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

this one was dead serious and wasn't playing.

Apr 4, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the really funny TAL episode is called Squirrel Cop. Ira you ve jumped the shark.

Apr 4, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

i thought possums where buddhist? And what expression was on its face?

i'm picturing this

Apr 4, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

one of the nice things about not having to drive 40 miles each way to work on state roads and backroads is that i don't have to see all those poor critters splattered all over the road.

Apr 4, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I know I've been out for awhile, but I need some advice (again). I've been offered a job at a significantly larger salary over what I make now. I am not too sure what the job would be, or what exactly it would entail, but they do semi-custom homes and light commercial so you and I can probably imagine what it is all about. I could get an 20k a year and I would be the only architect on staff with my own team of CAD monkeys, so would be my own boss in a way. I could probably negotiate an even higher salary or signing bonus as they needed me yesterday. I've met a couple of the contractors/project managers and they are cool guys that I can get along with well.

I have such mixed feelings! Could it be cool? Does it automatically suck because I might be "designing" family rooms with vaulted ceilings and oak ballustrades? While I do pretty cool stuff now, it's still soul-sucking and tedious and never turns out right anyways.

Does anyone know what these design/build companies typically do and what being a staff architect for them would be like?

Apr 4, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

that's "extra" 20k a year, not total! oopsies.

Apr 4, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

I think you'd have to ask them how much creative leeway you could get. Make it clear that you're interested in doing good, contemporary work, not the same old thing day after day, and see how they respond.

Apr 4, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

and congratulations! It's always nice when someone values your work that highly, even if in the end you decide it's not the way you want to go.

Apr 4, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

ah shit, ignorance is bliss. I was just reading on the "why go to architecture school? I designed a house when I was 10" thread.

I suppose this is the mentality I would be employed by.

Apr 4, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Have you seen the work they've done before? Is it OK or does it make you want to gag?

Also, ditto rationalist...congrats ;o) I think we'll all agree, it's nice to be wanted.

Apr 4, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Well, I'm not really an architectural elitist, so I don't think it's horrible.
How I described it to my mom was: this was probably my ideal job when I was in high school and wanted to be an architect but didn't really know what architecture was. Does that make sense?

Apr 4, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
possum was sad because he was dead

* maybe i should post this in contemporary poetry thread also?

Apr 4, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: