Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

George Jetson

Happy Easter everyone! or not, whatever you prefer.

I like chocolate.

Apr 8, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Flowers for WK :)

Apr 8, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

b/c im pretty sure I was one of many that pissed you off. sorry - didn't mean to :)

Apr 8, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

well i woke up this lovely Sunday morning at 5am to watch some afro-Caribbean dance with my archi-mate.

It was the first attending something like that with a like-mind, we often drifted off in conversations about random things:: to acoustics without baffles, how dance occupies space, the strength of the coffee, etc etc - not the usual date chatter I'm used but really enjoyed.

Apr 8, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

thanks, DCA :o) I think if you ever meet me you will find that I write very much as I speak. So I'm glad that translated well....

And Katze, thanks for the flowers :-D Honestly, it was no one in particular, I've just been getting my feathers a bit ruffled up lately. It happens. Fortunately I feel like I've gotten to a point where I can take comments in the moment, respond to them, and then move on.

architechno, I didn't understand most of your post just now but it sounded like you had a good time, so well done there....

Apr 9, 07 12:38 am  · 
 · 

Wonder reading back...I too have little clue - it must of been a great morning.

Apr 9, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
FRO

hey architechno- if you're not doing alcohol then don't go for something that wishes it was alcohol. Go for something you like and be over the top about it, like a whole pint of hand squeezed organic pear juice or whatever you are into. Maybe breast milk?

Apr 9, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes maybe you can reenact the ending of The Grapes of Wrath.

Apr 9, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
AP

hey tumbleweed! i sure will miss your _

but i suppose the double ... will do nicely.

techno - how about hand squeezed organic breast milk?! although i guess all milk comes from breasts of some sort...

Apr 9, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

is anyone following this thread?

per vs. opportunistic chinese, battle of the language barriers. if they can keep this up, its sure to be a classic.

though cryzco (237am) made a nice point, the chinese render firm never got a tuneup for blatantly posting advertisement in the discussion section.

Apr 9, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what is up with architect magazine. this article about salaries with this intern and little leader lines telling us how much her jeans are and what she is listening to on her ipod is recockulous.

Apr 9, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

The last issue I got was on how many black women were architects, which issue is your article in?

Apr 9, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the new issue 04/07...

Apr 9, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

On architect: I was really disappointed to see that Abbot Miller did the redesign of Architect. I don't like it, and I like a lot of the rest of his work. Now I'm disappointed in him and in Pentagram (which has been my dream office for a while now). I'm trying to chalk this up to not being able to press great design on a mundane client (as we all have experienced), but every time I see an issue, it makes me sad.

Other news: I've decided on UW. Will be heading to Seattle in the fall. Any Seattle-ites with tips?

Apr 9, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am so bored today. It's a perfect confluence of a slow down in work, server issues, and sleepiness from last night's outing to a Chick-Rock fest. The countdown to 5 is driving me nuts.

I don't even have a brunch review to write today, unless you count my uncle's house for easter brunch :o/

rationalist, Seattle is sweet. You are going to have so much fun. I went to a bowling alley when I visited there that was super cool, I can't remember the name of it but it was redone in a modern decor and enjoyed a large, vibrant hipster population. It seemed like a great place to hang out, for inspiration even....

Apr 9, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i cannot believe that people think that i am bobbi p.

Apr 9, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL, i never figured you were vado, but i seriously wonder if he is a real person or an alt for somebody. He seems more like a real person with each entry he puts in.

Apr 9, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

vado - Sorry, I guess I'm partly to blame...although I'm still not entirely convinced.

As for the thread with vindpust and crazycg...

Apr 9, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

vado - I don't think I'm uncultured in the slightest but after reading the "grapes of wrath" in high school via the use of cliff notes I never ventured near it again. However in my absence I have forgetten the ending.

However perhaps I will unearth it and re-read in honour of my dry moment on thursday.

Apr 9, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

FRO - thanks for the suggestion the difficulty is that for the last 10 years or so I've had a limited diet when it comes to liquids. Its either been spirit, beer or water. Every now and then I'll have some green goodness but its cleansing power might be a bit much for celebrating.

Apr 9, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

only I

Apr 9, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Actually, it is Cliffs Notes with an S.

Apr 9, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

let me think...

Apr 9, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

In honour of 88 posts on Thread Central

Apr 9, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

mant thanks for the correction Vado...tumble, i'll look into sweet thursday

Apr 9, 07 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

vado, did you ever see "garden state"? check that out for some terrible, terrible zach braff filmmaking. the dude is awesome in scrubs but seriously needs to be able to make his freshman film efforts in private.

Apr 9, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Check out this GaRdEnStAtE

Apr 9, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I didn't think Garden State was that bad either.

Apr 9, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i enjoyed garden state. but these are just kinda lightweight date movies and ask anybody i aint been goin on many dates lately. so these movies make me bitter. the last kiss sucked however. i guess anytime i wanna "romantic" movie that speaks to me, i should just pop ThIsIn!">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkp26Bt97p0]ThIsIn![/url]

Apr 9, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm back. Crazy week at work starting tomorrow, but for tonight I'm catching up on archinect and almost done unpacking. Damn my week is going to suck.

treekiller and beta: I was thinking of you guys today during my 3.5 hours layover in MSP. Thank god for the express tram that kept my son amused for about 30 minutes of that layover, ugh, traveling with a kid is never easy, though Angus is a spectacular little traveler and loves airplanes so much he's actually quite easy.

I was so shocked and excited to see that there is a DOG PARK right at the end of the MSP airport! I had to look several times to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing - a dozen dogs running around and owners hanging out watching the planes, and I swear those planes were landing not 75' above the heads of the doggies! My dog from college would not have been able to handle the noise, she was terrified of things in the sky, but Gus would have loved it and so would I - I do enjoy watching the planes take off.

And image from a flickr set. SO funny.

Had a lovely get-together with beer with jones at Doug Fir. Didn't get to do nearly enough archi-touring, but did ride the light rail to Powell's. Portland is far and away my favorite city on the planet (that I've been to) - it seems to keep getting better.

I'll need to check out the new Architect which is in the mail that came in while I was gone. I was actually very impressed with the last issue (re: the paucity of Black female architects) and meant to revive the thread in which we discussed the new mag format to say so, but enver did it. I did see the cover and when I read "The $34,000 question" on it I thought to myself "Thank god a magazine finally has the balls to put it right out there that architects don't get paid enough!!" Hopefully after I read the article I'll still be excited about it.

I posted an anecdote on the Easter thread re: being called an ark-itect at church in reference to the Noah's ark story.

Goodnight now.

Apr 9, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Did I use "paucity" correctly there?

OK, yep.. Whew.

Apr 10, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
ThIsMoViE

sorry...

Apr 10, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 

liberty: the last issue I saw of Architect had a photo of some guy in a blue shirt and a tie, with a desk piled with rolls of drawings on it. I saw it and thought, "wow, could they have come up with a more deadly boring cover???"

Apr 10, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 

hey tc, notice my real last name even though it comes up strange on 'latest post by" area. html is everything. yoww..

Apr 10, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 

hahahaha...

Apr 10, 07 3:08 am  · 
 · 

i am having a hard time getting used to my real name.
like, 'ich nahme orhan ayyüce.'
it is pronounced (i-you-che)

letters at 2 am..

Apr 10, 07 5:10 am  · 
 · 

make that 3 am.
no drugs involved. just chronic insomnia.

Apr 10, 07 6:08 am  · 
 · 

yay orhan Ayyüce!

one expat to another, a name written, or even pronounced, correctly is a small but so very nice thing (NO one can say my name here where i live, not even close).

Apr 10, 07 8:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

sunshine is soooo overrated. our office has this double height entry with a large exposure of glazing to the east. the space is divided with three colorful partitions. the sun slips between these partitions and sends sharp slivers of blinding sunlight into the studio. so for about the last ten freakin minutes i have been blinded as the morning sun rises above the freeway. if i was on acid i would be hallucinating that i was a shaman at pueblo bonito on the solstive. but i am not on acid and its a freaking hassle.

Apr 10, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
AP

one or 2 countries on the planet get Plewke right. it is nice when someone says it correctly on their own...

congrats Orhan. i tried using the umlaut in your name on the Virtual Activism feature (in the caption below your collage). it worked, but all of the code below was confused by it...no other images or links below the umlaut knew what they were anymore...so i had to scrap it.

thanks for adding to my vocab this morning lb. paucity. link included...

Apr 10, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 

congrats all with names that challenge the English language. My dilemma is similar as those countries with accent use paramount in communication tend to chop and/or reassemble my name with the removal of the h or the inclusion of double Os to give "CUT" or "COOTH" or worse the dreaded "BERTH" - I wish my task were so easy as its spelt how its pronounced yet none who venture seem to think so.

a speil by D.Laurence Cuthbert

Apr 10, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I just reserved my Penske rental truck for the move to NYC. It's been all talk up until this point, but now it seems official.

June 30th seems like ages away now, but no doubt it will be here before I know it.

Apr 10, 07 10:13 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

You have to be some kind of special to screw my name up.

I would like to mention that there are grad school threads that actually help people, for instance the main one, or the ones about the open houses, or about moving, etc. And then there are these, and as liberty bell and I noticed, they just give the others a bad name.

Apr 10, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Strawbeary, I just started a thread partially inspired by your potential employment change.

Apr 10, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 

liberty B welcome back

4800 comments and 16 entries3 - i'm sure in numerology that means something >> life long and prosper

Apr 10, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 

bah - I need coffee >> "live long and prosper"

Apr 10, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ooh ooh, don't say anything! Don't do it! Don't mess up that ratio! :o)

Apr 10, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 

There seems to be an inordinate amount of USC vs X lately.

Apr 10, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This was hovering dangerously near the bottom of page 1. Just giving a little *bump*

Apr 10, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

I've added a recipe to the Archinect Cooking! Thread for some island flavour shrimp. I think summer is approaching and my desire for cooking as well. I have been around the stove once in 4 months. I imagined myself burning down the house, trying to manuever the pots & pans with my dislocated shoulders the last time i ventured in the kitchen....but luckily didn't

Apr 10, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: