Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Ms Beary

This is one of their multi-family projects for example, not horrible, but definetly suburban. Think KB Homes but a little better and much smaller.

Apr 4, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

hmmm, maybe they are bigger trhan I think, not sure I'd be the only architect with "my own team of monkeys". I think I will go on the interview and just see what it is about. Couldn't hurt, right?

Apr 4, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

not horrible at all, compared to the shit we all know and hate.

Apr 4, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Does anyone else find the proportion of # of views vs. # of posts for thread "showin some skin" HILARIOUS? There should be a study in these sorts of things...

Apr 4, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

this thread's about to go over the edge...

g'night all.

Apr 4, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

strawbeary- I see some nice material potential in that rendering. If you love housing and habitation, go for it! it's not the end of your career and you will gain lots of useful knowledge and skills for however long you stick it out. You will most importantly learn about the market of popular taste for good or bad. good luck and enjoy the extra $$$$

dead possum stew - yumm

Apr 4, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

mdler oh you making wedding plans - Sparrow

Apr 4, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

well i haven't been offered the job YET, i meant i was asked to interview.

Apr 4, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

ah, I thought you'd been offered it for some reason. Anyway, I'd go on the interview, and make it clear that you think you could help take their work to another level, if that's the way they want to go.

Apr 4, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

take yer babilicious self over to where the ducats are. turn page over baby...

Apr 4, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

did you notice the vs. threads nowdays tripled the chalenge?
....vs....vs....vs

Apr 5, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I could really use a strong drink right now.

Apr 5, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 

straw, definitely go for the interview... that rendering is not too bad... a few minor changes and it would actually be pretty good... maybe they need someone like you to suggest those changes... there is definitely a lot to learn from a job like that... it would be good for a 2-3 year stint with lots of extra money... i'm in a similar situation having just finished up my second year as "senior capital projects coordinator" for the city that i live in... basically doing project management stuff (hiring architects/contractors, and coordinating amongst them and the user groups)... it has been great experience and i've learned a ton about contractual relationships, construction (in the field a few days a week), and how to deal with contractors in a non-combattive way... but after 2 years i'm itching to start doing architecture again...

Apr 5, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Straw....the big question.....is the Intern going with you? You could turn her into a real live CAD MONKEY!

Apr 5, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Living in Gin
best you can do is to turn this into a positive experience. who knows by next year you might say "i am glad that didn't turned out".

Apr 5, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Agreed. Most of the big failures and disappointments in my life (and there have been many of them) have turned out for the better in the long run.

It's official: I'm moving to NYC in early July.

Apr 5, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

go for it strawbeary. who knows, they may be looking to more forward in a more exciting design direction, which may be why they're looking to pull in new (and talented) blood. sounds like it could be opppportunity!!!!

Apr 5, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

urgh, whatever this is, it's more than a cold. I'm dizzy again. Bad. I want to be at home in bed, but don't want to have to drive...

Apr 5, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

you are what you are, and you will be what you will be. There are more than one way to go to a school. You might be a professor there one day, or get your kicks being an invited juror at a crit as I did.

Apr 5, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm saving all my rejection letters so that one day I can hang them on my office wall next to my Pritzker Prize.

Apr 5, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah nice one LiG...

Apr 5, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

knock knock... hello???

where is everybody???

is everybody else's office closed for good friday or something???

c'mon i need some 'nect entertainment to get through this day where i'm one of the few people in the office...

Apr 6, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Same here... All the top brass of the firm are out today, but myself and a small handful of underlings are in. I'm supposed to be making some revisions on a project, but of course, the person who has a list of all the needed revisions is out today.

I have a feeling today will be one of my more unproductive days in recent memory.

Apr 6, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I was just informed that lunch is being bought for us today, in honor of the "holiday", which I no longer celebrate. Sweet.

Apr 6, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Where the heck is liberty bell, anyway?

Apr 6, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
snooker

She is on vacation!

Apr 6, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

What holiday?

Today is too crappy out to lust for the day off anyways. Cold, with sleet and snow, expecting accumulation. The front stairs of the office were covered in ice this morning. What a crappy day, I ate shit on those icy stairs, twisted my knee and have 2 open wound boo-boo scrapes (shin and knee).

Apr 6, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

we get a half day today! Which means that I can actually do some work for my last class tomorrow...

I've decided not to take any more classes at Otis after this, to save money for the real schooling, and give me time to put myself up for some scholarships and do some competitions and other fun stuff.

Apr 6, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
n_

unfortunately, we have a full day which is shocking to me because we have a weekly BIBLE STUDY at this firm.

Apr 6, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

elvis, is that on company time?

Apr 6, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

elvis, I don't know how you do it. I wouldn't.

Apr 6, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

did they tell you about that when you interviewed, or suprise you with it later?

Apr 6, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

jesus was a carpenter...

I remember a while back an 'architecture for Jesus' office...they did churches

Apr 6, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I thought jesus was an architect, previous to his career as a prophet?

Apr 6, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I know, I know...

No, they never brought it up during my interview process. It was about my third week in when I heard a voice over the intercom say "Bible study is now beginning in conference room a. Bible study - conference room A."

I laughed aloud at my desk I cynically restated to myself "bible study..." because I TOTALLY thought it was a joke. Then one of the interior designers rushed up to me and whispered "No, it's true. They are serious about that." I stopped laughing and temporarily freaked out about what workplace I had gotten myself into. No one has ever pressured religion on me so it's never been an issue.

Anyway, if anyone is interested Bibly study it is every Wednesday from 11:30 - 12:30 in conference room a.

Apr 6, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

did you email me???? email me again. It must go into my bulk mail.

Apr 6, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

elvischyld, say, is your co hiring temps these days? i am interested in intercom announcing position.
no ill will.. hehe..

Apr 6, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it is the master cleanse...it is making me stupid...I probably shit my brains out

Apr 6, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Please don't get me started on my comany's intercom usage. Some of my favorites:

"May all team members for the Southeast-Regional-Owners-BioMedical-Development-Research-and-Development-Facility-and-I'll-Add-More-Words-To-Exaggerate-The-Most-Ridiculous-and-Long-Project-Name please report to conference room C.

"Natalie (massacre my last name here) please dial extension 8-3-9-4. Natalie Gaiealkjcoawkejxoxoatjekjaodiuea please dial 8-3-9-4."

And, of course:

"Bible study is now beginning in conference room a. Bible study - conference room A."

Apr 6, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

I think they need to tell you about that shit up front. I like my workplace god-free.

Apr 6, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I email kristin_kai every night and hear nothing back...kristin_kai has no follow through

Apr 6, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

her not responding is the response.

Apr 6, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

mdler needs to get laid.... I hope you aren't starting fires again!

Apr 6, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

thanks, vado... Jesus dying and now this :(

Apr 6, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

my last firm had the jesus thing going on. many of them went to Bible study and church together, but it was all after hours. They would talk about it at lunch the next day. And then there was the time when I was asked, "You DO accept Jesus Christ your Lord and Saviour, DON'T YOU?" From a wide-eyed co-worker after I did/said something anti-religion, don't remember what I did.

Arch firm with intercom announcments? Wierd, like K-Mart. Or High School.

Apr 6, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

mdler and kristin_kai... just get it on already...

Apr 6, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Once there is an Archinect hook up, we expect a full thread from you two lovebirds.

Apr 6, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson
for kristin and mdler

hope vado doesn't mind just this once that i take his job.

Apr 6, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson
elvischyld's workplace

this is kind of fun

Apr 6, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Wait, my workplace sucks so bad!!!!!

I can't Youtube at work. Blocked!!! Blocked, goddamnit, blocked!!!!

Goddamnit, fuck, shit, BLCOKED!!!!!

Apr 6, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: