Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

i know some people who uses that strategy. they wait until there is a high demand for what they do. it works beautifully and they produce beautiful works that way.
i can't do it. maybe i get annoyed when i am pushed or motivated because of a deadline or a promise made. i stay away promising anything.
over the years i tought myself my current method of, instead of concentrating on one project, i tend to roll different projects everyday.
it doesn't mean i will not concentrate on something, it means that my concentration will be brief, intense and the last, for small projects and daily benchmarks for bigger ones. of course i am not only talking about architectural production.
the things i used to do half assed, i stopped doing them altogether. which is irritating to the significant half. i, at least, should try to learn lb's and +q strategy there in houseland.
sure, i do deal with things that requires a date stamp on them. like i said, for those i try to be ahead of deadline. i will usually finish things before they expect me to finish. however, when it comes to dealings with contract binded clients, i will not let them know i finished said part of the project already because i don't want them to think it was easy. it can be produced easily and fast, if you know how and i shouldn't pass every part of my experience to clients free of charge.

Feb 24, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wow... Somehow I managed to surpass 1000 comments without even taking notice. Probably too busy obsessing over my admissions / scholarship prospects, but I'll confine that angst to the appropriate thread.

Feb 24, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I really want to post a serious relpoy to concernedtaxpayer over on the official MAPA/Breuer thread. Saying that yeah, we architects are responding to a given set of circumstances i.e. a program wqhich calls for X amount of new space etc. but the really iprotant thing is we don't want to see the Breuer torn down, and if a modest renovation could keep it as an "iconic" central branch while the othter two new piece-of-crap buildings serve the general library functions that would be hunkydory with us because we just want tpo see the bruere saved.

But, I've been (glory hallelujah!!!!)drinking tonight so I dont' feel up to making thart post - as my spelling and grammar here will attest I'm not the most coherent ever right now.

Feb 24, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

At least I'm a happy drunk!

Feb 24, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
some person

hahaha. You're a great (and entertaining) drunk, liberty bell:)

p.s. You should start a "for Garpike" thread right now

Feb 24, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dca cheerleaders are SO two thousand posts ago...

Feb 24, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

congrats on the 1000 mile high club gin!

Feb 24, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I agree with DCA - post a "for Garpike" post lb:) It will be fun!

Feb 24, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

yes, ms. liberty. a "for garpike" post would indeed be hilarious.

tee hee.

Feb 24, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

if i could get over this nasty illness that lb gave me during the charrette, i could have had some drinks too.

Feb 25, 07 8:01 am  · 
 · 
some person

SNOW DAY!!

The Smithsonian just called. They are closing all of the information desks today because of the snow, so I do not need to report this afternoon. I was also planning on going to work later today, but I cannot very well do that if the roads are "bad."

So I'm planning another semi-lazy afternoon that will consist of writing Field Reports, chillin' on Archinect, and watching the fluffy snow accumulate on our balcony.

Feb 25, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

got up at 5:30 am. did laundry, drank coffee, watched my sunday morning classic movie, organized recycling, ate hash browns, fell asleep for a bit. listening to baroque sunday on vermont public radio and reading my special lady friend's synthtetic kant chapter...if it was snowing it'd be perfect.

Feb 25, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

woke up at 7 by the sound of the snow plow. just finished shoveling the 18" at the deepest, most was 12"- so chillin on archinect before returning to studying for the LARE...

If we do leave the midwest for warmer climate zones next year, then it will be in my interest to have a few tests passed before interviewing.

oh- what more does garpike need? more garwondlering?

Feb 25, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, I admit it - I'm already watching red carpet coverage.

Would love to hear from some LA 'nectors whether there is a palpable buzz in the air tonight.

Feb 25, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

lb.....I'm missing Joan Rivers....I can't find her on the Red Carpet.

Feb 25, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
some person

*sigh*

Another thread bites the dust.

Feb 25, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

He has to go to bed sooner or later....until then I will just keep asking him questions.

Feb 25, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

DCA: I'm stuck here this evening pushing fire trucks around on a preliminary floor plan. Maybe his...wacko theory will help me figure out a worth while configuration for this fire station.

Feb 25, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

liberty bell, glad to see you are awake today. I learned my lesson drinking last weekend and have sworn it off until my favorite holiday, St. Patrick's day.

Also if anyone here wants to know anything, anything at all, about global warming and/or renewable energy technologies, please don't hesitate to ask - am just now putting the finishing touches on my mystery essay for the Bartlett. Am going to take a break here shortly to turn on the Oscars and have a frozen treat :o)

Feb 25, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

LA Buzz: West Hollywood is more afflicated than Santa Monica. It's an interesting thing, because the restaurants are empty, but the liquor stores are still going good business. It reminds me of the day of the Superbowl.

Feb 25, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

s- don't forget the pole!

Feb 25, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

just woke up. all the oscar buzz. we share a property line w/ santa monica municipal airport aka celebrity gate (i just made the name) and every year on academy night the place buzzez with the learjets.
this is the day even the local weatherman becomes a field reporter and i am looking forward to check out ellen degeneres. she is one of my favorite comedians.
it is quite otherwise.

Feb 25, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

well, I can report firsthand that this is the single BEST time to hit the gym. No wait for any machines, only one random old guy hit on me (and that was on the way, not actually in the gym yet). Best gym experience I've had in years!

Feb 25, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

We went to the gym here in Chicago during the Superbowl, and it was incredible!

Feb 25, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DCA, do you work/volunteer at the Smithsonian?

OH my god, Al Gore is on the Oscar telecast. Good lord.

I'm watching and simultaneously shopping for an entry hall bench for a client. Paid time watching TV woohoo!

Feb 25, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Does anyone remember Al Franken's joke about how Al Gore is so concerned about being green that in efforts towards reducing waste, instead of using a new stick up his ass every day, he pledged to reuse the same stick the entire time he was on the campaign trail?

I'm not sure that joke applies anymore - I mean he's on the Oscars telling jokes with "Leo"!!

Feb 25, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Cars just got ROBBED. Happy Feet? c'mon!

Feb 25, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
some person

liberty bell: Yes, I've been a weekend volunteer at one of The Smithsonian's art museums for about a year. It has been a good experience for me, but the museum is rather slow when they are changing out the temporary exhibits. It's great when the museum is 100% open. I enjoy getting up to speed on the latest shows, and I love when visitors ask about specific pieces or artists.

I also need to be knowledgeable on everything else Smithsonian (and even non-Smithsonian museums like the National Gallery of Art and the Holocaust Museum) because people DO ask. Don't get me started on random Smithsonian trivia...

Did you know that only about 10% of a given museum's collection is on view at any given time?

Did you know that the most valuable Smithsonian collection is the Postal Museum's? It has the first sheet of every stamp ever printed plus the die that was used to print the stamp.

Thus, an open invitation to Thread Central: Let me know if you'll be in DC, and I'll be delighted to be your personal museum consultant.

Feb 25, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey lb cameron diaz kinda looks like you! or vicey versa!!!

Feb 25, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

JLo looks like a matronly old lady, no? I mean seriously, Helen Mirren is far sexier than JLo tonight!

....vado I'm ignoring that comment...

Feb 25, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That Sherry Lansing person was the best dressed woman on the show so far.

I want Children of Men to win something.

Feb 25, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

helen is the best. i m gonna google some thief wife lover images later.

Feb 25, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I agree, DubK. I haven't been overly impressed with the fashions yet this year.

Feb 25, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

so far i am like 10 for 10 or 20 for 20...should i play the lottery?

Feb 25, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Feb 25, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

there are some awesome tuxedos this year!

Feb 25, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey i got the similar glasses as that kid from y tu mama tambien! but i aint got eva green. or maribel verdu for that matter.

Feb 25, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey i got similar glasses to the guy who did the al gore movie! but i aint got tipper!

Feb 25, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Actually I really like Cameron Diaz's elegant white dress. It was flattering to her, too. Gwyneth's dress actually made her look bad, incredibly. Cate Blanchett looks gorgeous no matter what she wears.

Feb 25, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

man i got another category correct...should have played the lottery, definitely 241 toothpicks....

Feb 25, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

cameron looked like a chick from Dynasty...Gwyneth looked like she's finally eating.

Feb 25, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Gwyneth's dress, every dress I have ever seen with that cut line from the throat down diagonally to the armpit, is incredibly unflattering to the female body.

I thought Cameron looks great.

Cate Blanchett: totally agree, myriam. She's dazzlingly beautiful no matter what.

Al Gore is obviously the big winner tonight!

Feb 25, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

ellen always manages to look and dress most comfortably. she is really good and funny.
did you see/hear the sound effects chorous early on, it was something.
i bet al gore will win the presidency if he runs for it. and, can you imagine leo d c as vice prez?
why not hollywood everything.
two three faces that are in every oscar night;
clint
s spielberg
scorsese
jack

Feb 25, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what a showcase for the liberal left wing gayness of a amerika!!! right on!!!

Feb 25, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just took a pee break during celine dion. when are they gonna do the tribute to those who died. not to be cryptic but thats my favorite part.

Feb 25, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just wish Ellen's hair was her more typically messy look tonight. I love her hair. She's quite funny out in the crowd, too.

Feb 25, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I love Kate Winslet. I just think she's great. And yes Cate looked great too. And I really like Cameron Diaz so she's allowed to wear whatever she wants as far as I'm concerned.

Yay Al Gore!

Feb 25, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

where is my gf jennifer???

Feb 25, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeeeeeeeeepers vado, it's Oscar night - could you at least have picked a picture of her in formal attire?!?

Feb 25, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im into informality!
here's jlo

Feb 25, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: