Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

yeah good luck everyone.
nice talking to ya too AP!

Jan 27, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Besides beta and garpike, who else is actively taking the ARE's?

I'm half-tempted to start an ARE support thread, but I'm afraid it would be hijacked by morons. I like the "underground" nature of the occassional ARE chatter here on Thread Central.

Jan 27, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

okay so spent the day at home alone, first time alone in 3 weeks since the incident. It was kind of nice having a bit of silence except the plitter of my fingers against the laptop qwerty. However its pass 5 and I'm hungry - there's nothing in the fridge that doesn't require cooking, I can't drive to the supermarket or any restaurants close by, oh and the BIG one the medication isn't helping this awful pain I'm feeling in my left hand. So all in all its been an excellent day

Jan 27, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

I had to search for it so I thought I'd share the recipe for Zuppa di Pesce from Amalfi

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 rib celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
8 giant crayfish
8 mussels, scrubbed, bearded and rinsed
8 razor clams
4 young red mullet
4 (1-inch thick) slices country bread
1 clove garlic
2 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
1 bunch fresh marjoram, leaves only

In a large casserole, heat the olive oil over moderate heat.

Add the celery, garlic, onion, and pepper flakes and cook until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, wine and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the fish, and shellfish, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and reduce the heat to a simmer until the shellfish have opened, 5 to 6 minutes.

Toast the bread and, while still hot, rub with the garlic. Lay 1 slice in each of 4 bowls. Divide the seafood among the 4 bowls, then divide the broth among the bowls, and sprinkle each bowl with parsley. Garnish with marjoram leaves. Serve immediately.

Jan 27, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

unrelated to ARE and so on, but i just read that a school in a seattle suburb was finally allowed to show "an inconvenient truth" to its 7th grade science class, after being banned for some time because of its overt bias against god and the american way of life...

apparently the showing was stopped when an evangelical christian became upset when he found out his daughter was going to be taught global warming was the result of human activity and not GOD's doing (and a clear sign of the second coming)...

kicker is they now have to find intelligent documentation that shows global warming is not real, and maybe a god-driven situation...but there is NONE to be found. for sime strange reason no one with reasonable credentials is studying the role of god in global warming.

parts of america are seriously scary.

Jan 27, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

no, no DCA, you got me totally wrong! I would LOVE to be having a lazy saturday, and was expressing my reasons for being jealous of the rest of you...

Jan 27, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

They won't find scientific proof od God in global warming because "God is in the details"

Jan 27, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

God likes testing us with dino bones, global warming, but he/she does a great job with passive cooling strategies... er I mean magic.

Jan 27, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well i made my fish soup and its pretty good. the recipe is similar to the one posted above except i didnt had all the shellfish. just two pounds of whiting. oh and i added a cup of mango/lime juice and some canned tomatoes with green chili. not bad for a half an hour. plus chopping some onions clears the tear ducts of the craggy ones.

Jan 27, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nice recipe architechnophilia but I admit when I read that it includes "4 red mullet" I had a flashing image of four teenage boys wearing Lynyrd Skynyrd concert T-shirts.

DCA I understand your desire to start an ARE support thread - related but different, I've been lately considering an "architecture parents support forum" as my child is driving me up the f*cking wall. God may indeed be testing us with dinosaur bones but his/her biggest joke was giving us a strong desire to procreate then standing back laughing his/her ass off while we struggle with 3 year olds!

(Please note I don't personally feel god is a deity, but neither am I comfortable assigning it a single gender.)

Jan 27, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
some person

okay, rationalist - no hard feelings here.

I actually did do something today... my husband and I went to take a look at our new condo, had some lunch, and I got my hair cut. We just got back from hibatchi and now we're going to watch Suze Orman (to figure out how we're going to pay for said condo).

hrm.. this is something I noticed today while I was typing a long post: I tend to end my paragraphs with a parenthetical statment. I scrolled up on this page alone and counted 4 other posters who do the same thing. Is it Archinect? (or is it just the internet culture?)

Jan 27, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Liberty I can't take credit for the recipe, its not mine. I just had no idea what vado was cooking so I searched of it online. And thought I would share.

Also I had to search for mullets as well. We call them something different over here...bait. Lol I'm just kidding.

Jan 27, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i didnt use shellfish as my soup must be ez to eat for dvd watching!

Jan 28, 07 9:29 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DCA, re: parenthesis: I coincidentally read this bit from Sarah Vowell's "Dark Circles" a couple of days ago:

Phone rang. It was Dave, a writer friend. We talked for over an hour, mainly about punctuation. He has big plans for the ellipsis. He's mad for ellipses. I tell him, yeah, I have similar affection for the parenthesis (but I always take most of my parenthesis out, so as not to call undue attention to the glaring fact that I cannot think in complete sentences, that I think only in short fragmnets or long, run-on thought relays that the literati call stream of conciousness but I like to think of as disdain for the finality of the period). Dave is trying to decide whether he wants there to be a space before or after the ellipsis. He's unsure. Is the ellipsis approach powerful because of what is not said after the dot dot dot, or is it a cheap excuse for not being able to verbalize? Conversely, do we parentheticals want to communicate by cramming more in, thus slapping what we're not saying in between what we are, officially, saying? Or is it because we can't decide?

Personally, I find myself often ending sentences with ellipses, but then think better of it because I fall on the side of thinking ellipses are "a cheap excuse for not being able to verbalize" - you're making the reader complete the thought, but who knows if the will get the intended implication? I also use parenthesis a lot - and improper hyphens - and wish i could use semicolons as brilliantly as John Irving does.

Jan 28, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well its 12 degrees out with a minus 5 or so windchill factor. after waking up early and doing laundry drinking coffee and watching the red shoes. i decided that i would walk to rather than drive down to the interim library( funny this building was built in 1909 or so and used to be a post office, but has fancy new things like computers!!! maybe the grosse pointe libarians should do a field trip) its freakin cold out. but i love weather like this and will feel all warm and fuzzy for my afternoon nap!!!

Jan 28, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh and after i have some fish soup!!!

Jan 28, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Okay so I'm home and decided to go to church with the family. Parents, nephifies, and my sister. Great service been a while since being home, at church and all. of course I got caught up the architecture...constantly gazing up at the new sarkng on the roof and the tall windows between the bays|stations of the cross.

After a parishoner came up to me, gave me her son's number and told me to call him. He's in final year at arch school and she's worried about him (lol). Thinks he might need some encouragement for the final push. I said I'd give him a call, a kick in the ass, then be there as a critic for his final presentation - nothing better to make a man/woman out of him.

Jan 28, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Went to Dim Sum after - fantastic

Its perhaps the first up-market chinese food restaurant on island. A long tradition of excemplary food and service. Anyway the had this great Sunday Dim Sum and it would be packed with mostly 1st & 2nd generation chinese that lived on the island and me (not sure what generation, let's just say its a little watered down). But it was buffet style, so you really didn't need to know the names of the stuff.

Well last year they canceled it for whatever reason, and other less established restaurants were doing DIm Sum too. But not the same, could be. Well what a shock when we found that Jade was doing Dim Sum again. Yummy...this is good to head me recover

Jan 28, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

i have to make my mind about abracadabra, faia's new episode. too much exciting material piling up.

Jan 28, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Just returned from a class on owls at the local nature center with my son and another mom/son from up the street. The teacher of this class was amazing, she really made it fun for the kids and we all got to (had to?) dissect a rat pellet. Our owl had clearly recently eaten a mouse or similar rodent.

Then we went out to see an owl's roost but as vado said it's about 5 degrees with the windchill so it was a very brief nature walk.

The local nature center is a very nice building, see image:

The entry lobby has a big wall made up of panels of all the wood species native to Indiana. I realized today it would be a great resource to send my clients to when they are pondering wood for interior cabinetry.

Jan 28, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Excuse me, that's an owl pellet we dissected - the ball of fur, bones, feathers, and other undigestibles that owls puke up after they eat. Ours had clearly eaten a rodent, perhaps a small rat, and that's why I accidentally typed rat pellet above.

Jan 28, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

my sunday-

read NYT, drink coffee, make french toast for breakfast and then get onto todays main event:

boeuf au vin

2# choice beef stew chunks
1 tbls flour
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tbls olive oil

brown the beef in all of the above ingredients in batches, then add:

3/4# carrots diced
3/4# celery diced
3/4 head of garlic - peeled and smashed
2 medium yellow onions diced
3 shallots diced
1 # 'cremini' mushrooms quarted
1 oz dried 'wild mushrooms'
5 zesty beef bullion cubes
1 bottle of two-buck chuck cabernet
2 cups TJs veggie broth
1/2 # potatoes diced (combo of red and yukon gold)
2 cup h20
1 bay leaf (the last one in the spice cabinet - otherwise use 3)
1 pasilla chile (including seeds) chopped
dash of both soy sauce and lea+perrins
squirt of double concentrated tomato paste

herbs to taste (about 1 tsp each): thyme, rosemary, sage, hot pepper flakes, 2 juniper berries, 3 allspice berries, 3 whole cloves, more black pepper

simmer for 1 hours while skimming the foam off the top ever few minutes. then add:

1 cup barley

and continue simmering for another 30 minutes.

Then place outside to chill in the 7°F sunlight and hope the squirrels don't like stew.

1/2 hour before dinner time, bake rolls* and reheat stew over medium low heat (higher if frozen solid)

*rolls

2 cups bread flour
2 cups hard red winter wheat flour
tbs salt
1/2 sour dough starter
1/8 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cup luke warm water
2 tbls olive oil
1/4 cup sun flower seed
remander of sesame seeds
1 tbls caraway seeds

kneed everything for 10 minutes and let rise overnight.
as stew is simmering, punch down dough and devide into eight lumps. shape into favorite roll shape (footballesq) and arrange on baking sheet with parchment paper, cover with plastic wrap and place in oven heated up to 110° and turned off to rise for 4 more hours. slash tops of rolls with knife just before baking for 20 minutes in preheated 425° oven for 20 minutes.

Jan 28, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
some person

re: ellipsis

Didn't ee cummings write a poem about the ellipsis? I couldn't find it on Google...

Jan 28, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i hope the next thing i make requires an entire bottle of wine!
lb, an owl ate my exgirlfriend's cat. unless it was coyotes. he was never my favorite animal, but he didn't deserve that fate.

Jan 28, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

as i write, the GF is trying her hand at a cashew/coriander/mango curried potato entree. will report later...

treekiller, your stew sounds delicious and belly-warming.

Jan 28, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

I am guilty of overusing both elipses and parantheses.

On the food topic: for those 'necters in LA, I highly recommend Frida's for a special night out. We went there last night and it was great. Frankly, the whole menu looked so good that it took us a very long time to decide, because we wanted to try everything, and the margaritas were yummy too.

Jan 28, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

fried fish cubes;

1.5 pound of santa monica sea food co. approx. 2" x 2" fresh and mixed fish cubes, from the non fish-steakable parts of the fish which is more delicious.
two table spoons of flour mixed with salt.
1/2 bag of arrugula
1/2 cup of cooking oil (i don't recommend frying in olive oil which burns)

put the flour and the salt in the plastic grocery bag and add the fish cubes. shake.
heat the pan real hot and then add the oil.
put the fish cubes comfortably in the hot oiled pan.
cook until the fish is golden browned. take each piece and put them on the bed of arrugula and squeeze little lemon to taste. eat with toasted bread.
real easy and delicious.
best way to cook fish is always keep it basic.
salmon, sword fish, tuna, mahi mahi are ideal fish to do this.

*treekiller, that stew is delicious. i love and cook beef/lamb stew often. i am going home now to perform the fish gig.

Jan 28, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

just had my mums famous "man-food" as she dubs it

it gets the title from the amount of tomatoes used in the recent, as many as you can find. Many times we just alternate with canned tomatoes. Basically simmered down for about 30mins with escallion|green onions, onions, thyme, local seasonings and some special stuff i have no idea where she gets them from.

Had it with Salmon...it was nice to wake up to that. Should take sunday naps more often

Jan 28, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am just havin a "big salad" for dinner as all my fresh stuff is pushing the limits of freshness. Just did my taxes! woohoo!!!now im gonna have a couple of pieces of nice smoked gouda cheese.

Jan 28, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

i'd love some gouda right about now, with some green apples and some pinotage cinsaut. Sucks I can't drink for at least another few weeks.

Jan 28, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ap's excellent link to the Adam Greenfield interviews reminded me:
I just read last week about the booba/kiki test, related to cross-modal perception and somewhat to synaesthesia. (wikipedia on synaesthesia here, the booba-kiki explanation is way down the page and uses the graphic below). Have we ever discussed synaesthesia here before?

I feel like I've never known about it until now, yet I guess I'm a clear synaesthete because my entire life I've felt numbers and letters have genders and personalities. And I feel this is why I relate so strongly to notions of construction materials having an "essence" that needs to be respected: hot-rolled steel is always a "warm" material for me, for example, even if it feels cold to the touch, because it retains the heat of its making.

Forgive me if this is like Art Appreciation 101 to you guys (especially you, vado), but the booba-kiki test asks people to assign one of those word/sounds to one of the shapes below.

Ninety-eight percent of people - across all cultures, languages, ages, and education level - assign booba to the squishy shape and kiki to the sharp one. This fascinates me.

The relation to Adam Greenfield is his musing on how to create graphics that would inform people that computational devices are invisibly hidden in the architecture/city around them - like alerting drivers they are entering an area where "speed is enforced by radar" but without using words - because ubicomp is literally everywhere. Many years back Metropolis (I think) had/reported on a competition to do a graphic design for warning signs to communicate that the huge pile of radioactive waste buried under New Mexico was dangerous - but given the half-life of uranium, these signs had to function 15,000 years from now - so who knows what/who might need to interpret the sign? What is a universal and timeles signifier of danger?

Whoa can you tell I have a deadline tomorrow? This is me procrastinating at my best. Sorry for the long post.

Jan 28, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

AP, sorry to mis-capitalize your name above. Thanks for the Greenfield interviews, I'm mad about him clearly.

Jan 28, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the nuclear waste at the WIPP site in transuranic waste which is the booba of nuclear waste compared to the high level kiki of the spent nuclear fuel etc...

booba kiki is fun to say...

Jan 28, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person
Synaesthesia

, discussed right here on Archinect...

Jan 28, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh jeepers thanks DCA!!! I knew I had heard the term synaesthsia around these parts recently. The article I just read about booba/kiki wasn't focused on synaesthesia specifically, though, so when I googled the former and got the latter it threw me a bit.

vado there is a reason booba-kiki is fun to say, and it relates to the purpose of test not to what you are thinking. I prefer the bouba spelling anyway.

Architecture is so NOT not-physical. And I know we've discussed licking buildings here before.

Jan 28, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Lick The Brick!

Jan 28, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

where's booba all I see is sploosh

Jan 29, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

70 pages later and people are still asking me about these.

Jan 29, 07 7:33 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I do still love playing the "end of the page" game.

Jan 29, 07 7:34 am  · 
 · 

Hah but now you are also the beginning

Going to the phlebotomist today (Again) to give more blood

Jan 29, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
AP

for lb: modern architecture + holiday decor
flickr set
Den Haag, NL
Stadhuis
Richard Meier

Jan 29, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I fucking hate my job.

During my recent evaluation, my bosses made a big point about how they want me to take on more of a leadership role on projects and be more of a "project architect" and "job captain". Part of that role entails setting up CAD standards and making sure team members follow them. I've been setting up projects in AutoCAD since most of my co-workers were in middle school, so this normally wouldn't be a problem for me.

But the airhead Harrington dropout on my team (who can barely draw a straight line in AutoCAD) doesn't understand how Xrefs work, so now I apparently have to totally re-organize the project structure and re-path the Xrefs on a few dozen drawings just to make it less confusing for her, regardless how it totally fucks up the project and will continue to fuck up the project as we create additional schemes. It looks like she's going to take this all the way to the principals (who barely even know how to turn on a computer), who will almost certainly overrule me.

Only 7 more months to grad school....

Jan 29, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

That sucks, Gin. I hate it when you have to pander to the lowest common demoninator on this sort of thing. It's very hard to convince people with limited computer knowledge themselves that "no, this is not a special skillset, this is a basic operation that anybody you hire should understand." I can be a real bitch sometimes, and when somebody tells me the don't know how to do something really basic like that my first thought it "well, did you tell people you knew AutoCAD? yeah, well you LIED." Of course I don't say it, but that's how I usually end up feeling about it...

Jan 29, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I was going to write a whole big response to LIG about how much I hate having to work around the lowest common denominator.....and then I started reading rationalist's post! How funny. We must all be on the same wavelength.

Remarkably, on the flip side, I work with some very smart and talented people who I believe are capable of a lot more than what we are doing....but they are rarely given that opportunity. It starts at the top, folks. If you don't have people who can go out and get good projects, then you are doomed to a professional life of mediocrity.

Jan 29, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass about the Xref issue itself... What really gets my goat is how this firm makes a huge thing about how they want me to take on more of a leadership role, and then they instantly turn around and second-guess every dumb little decision I make on a project. One of our project managers goes apeshit any time somebody describes themselves as a "CAD monkey", but whenever somebody shows the first sign of growing beyond their CAD monkey stage, they instantly get their head chopped off.

Like I've said before, I would have left this firm months ago if I weren't planning on going to grad school in the fall.

Jan 29, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Hey LiG here's something to make you smile or at least snicker. I haven't used Xrefs since school and quite frankly couldn't care less about them. I feel your pain though because I like our drawings standardised myself

Jan 29, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Life is just easier when drawings are standardized. If I could never have another conversation about how we were setting things up, it would make me a much happier person. Just pick a way, do it, and don't discuss it again for at least three years.

I feel your pain, Gin. I'm terrified that I won't get in anywhere, and will have stayed here an extra 8 months for nothing.

Jan 29, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

LiG don't give into the mediocraty of the whole thing....
I guess the only bit of solace I can offer is that "it could be much worse right?"

But feel your pain and have to deal with idiotic, morons whom can't for the life of them understand simple tasks/commands, esp in autocadd,esp. when most recent releases have made these issue almost effortless.

Hope you're having a better week (start) so far.

Hey rationalist:
where is that place you went to for dinner again?
what cuisine??

Jan 29, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wouldnt be too hard on these people. i have worked for firms that didn't use any of these "standards" and i imagine many of the "morons" actually are quite bright, but only lack the experience of using the tools properly. serving you fellow man is what it is all about. more service, less criticism. maybe you'll get to heaven.

Jan 29, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh and the external file reference has just changed and may need reloading...

Jan 29, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: