Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

squirrely- it was Frida. Nice mexican, not taco-stand mexican. Good for things like birthdays, anniversaries, other special occasions (valentines day?), too pricey for a normal date, at least on my salary.

Jan 29, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

sweet, thanks rationalist......
sorta feel like LiG......recently met a gal and finding a place to go to that is good for a date. So that might be a sweet spot.

Hit up LaLa's last night (Argentinian food) for those of you in LA. Great food, atmosphere is nice and not too pricey (even for you rationalist).

Jan 29, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

Lucky bastards...I've re-connected with someone but since my ass is in traction there is no going out for a drink (can't drink) ok sad now...time for a nap!

Jan 29, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, Argentinian sounds interesting. It's not that I'm sooo poor, though it feels like it right now, it's just that once you've been with someone for six years, you can't have every time you go out be to somewhere really nice like that anymore, because it's break the bank. So we just go to places like that on special occasions now.

not lucky squirrelly, though, lucky girl! Squirrelly's quite a catch.

Jan 29, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

awwww (blushing and blushing quite a bit too!!)

thanks rationalist! Im flattered. You're a cutie yourself. Nothing sexier than a woman with a good brain who's willing to use it!
I hear ya on the 6 yr relationship, whereby you go to places like this on special occasions, but I don't think you are the only one who does do this. I too was that way when I was in my last relationship (a long, long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away).
I suggest you try that place out, it's really good. I love Argentinian. And they are true to the cuisine cause there's only 2 branches of this restaurant around in all of LA.

architechnophilia.....not a lucky bastard, just trying to see if I can make this one (potentially) work out for me. Too hard finding nice single girls in LA that aren't whacked out!

Jan 29, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Well, I just got into town about an hour ago
Took a look around, see which way the wind blow
Where the little girls in their hollywood bungalows
Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light
Or just another lost angel...city of night
City of night, city of night, city of night, woo, cmon
L.a. woman, l.a. woman
L.a. woman sunday afternoon x3
Drive through your suburbs
Into your blues, into your blues, yeah
Into your blue-blue blues
Into your blues, ohh, yeah
I see your hair is burnin
Hills are filled with fire
If they say I never loved you
You know they are a liar
Drivin down your freeways
Midnight alleys roam
Cops in cars, the topless bars
Never saw a woman...
So alone, so alone x2
Motel money murder madness
Lets change the mood from glad to sadness
Mr. mojo risin, mr. mojo risin x2
Got to keep on risin
Mr. mojo risin, mr. mojo risin
Mojo risin, gotta mojo risin
Mr. mojo risin, gotta keep on risin
Risin, risin
Gone risin, risin
Im gone risin, risin
I gotta risin, risin
Well, risin, risin
I gotta, wooo, yeah, risin
Woah, ohh yeah
Well, I just got into town about an hour ago
Took a look around, see which way the wind blow
Where the little girls in their hollywood bungalows
Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light
Or just another lost angel...city of night
City of night, city of night, city of night, woah, cmon
L.a. woman, l.a. woman, l.a. woman, your my woman
Little l.a. woman, little l.a. woman
L.a. l.a. woman woman, l.a. woman cmon

Jan 29, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know how you meet people in this town in the first place.... if I hadn't gone to school here, I'd be one lonely person!

In other news, the person I get along with best in the office just gave their two weeks notice. On top of that, another person is leaving in June. It's going to be a very different office shortly, and not in a good way.

Jan 29, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

rationalist - I am sure you will get into school. Although I've only seen your fossil submittal, you have some real talent. I'm surprised you are worried. I guess you are worried because you HAVE to get somewhere else. It will happen.

-----

wait - who doesn't know what an x-ref is? I've never heard of such a thing. It's even explained right there in the name. X-ref.

Jan 29, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i know no x-ref. microstation r us.

but the harrington drop out is external to the problem anyway...refer your energy at the lack of intelligent leadership.

vado - I always thought it was "LA woman's gonna have to do" rather than "LA woman sunday afternoon." thanks for clearing that up, oh wise waver of the freak flag.

Jan 29, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Strawbeary, the longer I have to wait on an answer for things, the more insecure I get. Basic progression of my state of mind....

Dec: "Hey, I might even get some scholarships out of this"
early Jan: "I hope I get a good offer"
late Jan: "I hope I get in somewhere..."

by March I expect to be basically incapacitated by anxiety.

Jan 29, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i don't have much interest in thread central, really, i'm just goint to go to bed now

Jan 29, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

G'night puddles, thanks for staying up late doing the Breuer montages!

All this LA talk lately, and I just revisited my tween years by listening to some Van Halen from the "Dance the Night Away" era, I realize in my mind LA and David Lee Roth are forever tied together.

Jan 29, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think those lyrics i posted belong on the don't fear the reefer thread. lb not all rock n roll memories are good memories...

Jan 29, 07 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But Dance the Night Away and my first ever rock concert at Phoenix Memorial Coliseum are good memories!

Jan 29, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wassup Rockers.

Wassup ME exam.

Wassup LA.

Wassup second cold of the season.

Wassup plenty of fluids.

Wassup procrastination.

Wassup leftover phad thai.

Jan 29, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's some good l.a. memories of a LosAngeles rock band that i saw for free in boston after getting free tix by identifying the Munsters theme song...

Jan 29, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Its been ages since I've been to LA apparently its not worth going if all the women are loco (can't be)

Right so tomorrow they decide if they need to cut me open and fix my two shoulders. Shall we take a poll

1. no operation
2. operate on just left shoulder
3. operate on both shoulders

You all realise that this could affect me being a front line or foward scrum (different sports equally requiring of my girth and vigor)

Jan 29, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how come you're typing so much if you have two get a double shoulder transplant??? hope you're DOCTOR is better than this one...

Jan 29, 07 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I feel your pain, architechnophilia... Although I've never been in traction, so I obviously had it better than you.

I have a right shoulder that's been hanging by a thread since I dislocated it while kayaking in the Hudson River in 2004, it it's going to eventually need fairly major surgery followed by about six months of rehab. I function pretty well nowadays, but I have to be careful how I move it, and sometimes it just starts hurting like hell on its own. You know it's bad when the orthopaedic surgeon -- who has had 30+ years experience working on nothing but shoulders -- looks at your MRI scans and says, "Whoa! That's interesting!"

Anyway, hang in there... And hope your shoulders continue hanging in there as well.

Jan 29, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

LiG that's odd the doctors came out to see me when my ct scans went it. They all had this pitiful look on their faces, apologies for my injuries. I was like wtf?

vado once i keep my elbows fixed I'm pretty good, fingers and hands work just perfectly. BUt I can't lift anything of significance...and still need assistance putting on a shirt, my arms don't hyper rotate or extend beyond my elbow. Sounds simple but most of the simple daily task involve their use...like brushing teeth, combing hair, reading the news paper, playing fetch with the dog (throwing limb or ball)

Jan 30, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My dad just emailed me a picture of Moshe Safdie's Habitat 67 with the question "Is this real?!?". My brother-in-law, copied on the email, responded "Yeah - 'real' goofy looking!"

Sigh. At least my dad was curious, while my BIL (who I adore) instantly recoiled. And this response over a project that is almost 40 years old - I wonder what they would think of Seattle Public Library or that Will Alsop table buildg?!

Wait, I gotta go send an email.....

Jan 30, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
video

of safdie's habitat 67 from channel archinect, originally posted by marlin. great video which made me see the project differently than the usual shots.

Jan 30, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

beta, how you feelin' about today?

Jan 30, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

go get 'em test takers! you can do it!

harness the power of the mighty mightly garwondler!!!!!!

Jan 30, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i just filled an application for a volunteer member of landmark commission in city of santa monica.
probably i won't get selected, but it should be interesting if i am even be considered. just imagine the intricate real estate games played behind the council doors in this million dollar a sq. ft. tourist trap town. landmark commission, it is a bit of high stakes position around here. they have only sent these applications to licensed archies practicing in santa monica.
didn't i say the material for abracadabra, faia is piling up on me..?

Jan 30, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

Abra you need to sub in writers, or at least someone do the visuals. I would really enjoy doing the story boards for you. I just need this bloody scanner to work.

Jan 30, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I just had dinner with Strawbeary and her husband, Mr. Strawbeary, and I am happy to report that they are as wonderful and fantastic as all of the rest of you that I have already met. Not that I ever had any doubt, I am just saying. I now have a new picture for the Archinect Yearbook.

I would also like to mention that if any of your significant others/family members/whoever scoff at you for having "internet friends", you can tell them that you know this one girl who has met many of you and she can confirm that not only are we not weird, we are a damn smart bunch of people.

Ok, maybe a little weird, but it's the profession as a whole, really.

Jan 31, 07 12:55 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Today has only proven weird, WondERK. Not smart. Weird.

Jan 31, 07 3:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

gar, i believe i screwd the pooch, things i should have got right i got wrong, so unless i got alot of the tough ones right i'll be back at the end of juli....serves me right trying to get through MEEB/Kaplan and two other texts + all my other material in 3 weeks....fucking whore.

Jan 31, 07 5:03 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

techno, if you need surgery on both shoulders don't do one now and one later - rehabing will be harder - do both now and rehab equally...just a thought

Jan 31, 07 5:07 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

In the year 600

I'll post pictures from my trip to Mexico City next week.

Jan 31, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

wonderK - don't be posting those pictures now.

dinner was memorable, and fun. i really enjoyed meeting you too! come back again.

Jan 31, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

beta, I really thought I'd blown Structures, and I passed it! Don't give up hope.

That said, I'm currently in the process of giving up hope that I will ever get the drawings for this current house finished. I keep finding little glitches: one stair riser off by 1/2", water table doesn't quite work with brick coursing, exit requirements from sleeping room basement don't quite work with the window we want. Not to mention trying to make a decently attractive balcony guardrail that won't allow a 4" sphere to pass. Sigh. Not glamorous at all.

Jan 31, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
garpike

beta, I read many tales of people feeling they failed and end up with a pass. Don't give up hope yet. I saw you over at the ARE Forum - so you know. But crap that's not enough to make this bad taste in my mouth go away.

I like how Wiki gives 600 it's own directory. Can we add facts about the year and the number?

Jan 31, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
FRO

IS anyone else having a really horrible week? In the past 10 days I've lost 4 friends to death (one by his own hand) and last night I broke up with my girlfriend that I LIVED WITH. for fuck's sake, I need a break....

Jan 31, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the ARE forum is so lame, the don't even have a place for 'scapers to hang out as they prepare for the LARE...

Jan 31, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

fro, you need to take off some time from work and grieve a little in peace. serious. that's too much to digest.

Jan 31, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

FRO, sorry to hear that.

Jan 31, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

FRO, I'm so sorry. That's just too much to handle at once. I agree with Steven, try to take some personal days or get a leave of absence or something.

Jan 31, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

makes my self-flagelating seem pathetic. i apologize.

Jan 31, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

FRO, so sorry. Seriously take some time off.

My issues are pea-sized in comparison.

Jan 31, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

FRO: What everybody else said, take some time off. So sorry to hear about that. :(

Jan 31, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Vado, we need some youtube to help cheer up Fro, although I'm skeptical if even the best youtube could help in out.

there is a 600 but it isn't as important since this is post 601.

Jan 31, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

If anybody's been following the saga of indy_is_crap, please join me in re-deploying the "Yale Blows" tactics towards his threads.

Jan 31, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

we could always see if the archinect gods will kick his butt off the site.... anybody have any burnt offering to make a sacrifice with?

Jan 31, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
AP

FRO, my condolences.

Jan 31, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

FRO, I think we all have bad weeks from time to time but yours puts things in perspective. I'm sorry. I know I would need some time off if I were you.

Jan 31, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

On a side note, what should we do about this "indy" problem? I am resisting the urge to post anything on that thread, trying to follow my own rule ("don't feed the trolls") dammson had the most illuminating post so far.

Jan 31, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

I just posted my last post there. I have also reported him to the archinect gods, whilst requesting my "Report this Post" button. I encourage anyone who feels the same way to do likewise.

Jan 31, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
dia

remember, this is the same gentleman who was talking about having aspergers a little while ago.... so maybe dont be too hard in retorting, although what he is spouting on about is pure drivel.

Jan 31, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: