Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

garpike

I am surprised no one has posted old naked people to get the thread shut down. Ah the old days.

Jan 31, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Geez! That was like magic! Anyone see that?

Jan 31, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

thank ye, oh blessed archi-gods

Jan 31, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Are you discussing Archi-gods? Here???

Jan 31, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

maybe...

Jan 31, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha careful.

Jan 31, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

but they drove the demon away!

Jan 31, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

The "Exorcism" of Archinect, ha.....

you know we're having a backwards day when vado is posting full sentences and garpike is posting song lyrics. What's next, everyone thinking rationalist is a guy? Tee hee, sorry I couldn't resist.

Jan 31, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
AP

maybe next time ignore it. it takes two++.

Jan 31, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

will there be a second coming of indy? we couldn't keep per away...

Jan 31, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

Okay I've been waiting for the bloody surgeons to call. Its a f*cking nightmare I tell you. So I'll forget about they call and head back to the clinic on Friday with the rest of busted up folks.

Jan 31, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

wow, just getting caught up after a very very very busy half-week.

LiG--sorry it's sucking over there. The management thing sounds like a real problem. It always seems to me like you never *really* get treated like a true project manager until you make a lateral shift to another company and get hired *as* a project manager from the start. Otherwise, most times, whatever you walked in as the first day of work is the way management treats you forever.

But as for the software issues...remember--some of those crap a-cad users could have simply randomly worked on a different program for their last three years of working life, and therefore need a little refresher! ;) Not that it sounds like this is your coworkers' problem. I'm just feeling a tiny bit overwhelmed with the same problem myself lately. :)

And to libertybell-- my boyfriend always claims he's gonna quit his job and open up a coffeeshop named "David Lee Froth". hahahaha

for Fro... I wish there was something we could do to help. I'm sorry you're going through such a terrible time. :(

Jan 31, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

treekiller - today's debauchery of the english language was the second coming...

Jan 31, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Seriously, FRO: take some time for yourself. Or take charge of some small action - like detailing the hell out of your car, or cleaning up your office desk, or reorganizing your music collection (perhaps with moving out of your apartment this will happen anyway?) - any physical act that can give you a sense of having control over your circumstances. No one should have to have a week as bad as yours, I'm so sorry.

I've learned of three friends/family members beginning chemo for breast cancer this month. They aren't dead, yet I'm very worried about all of them and feel like I'm sort of looking over my shoulder wondering "Who's next?!" all the time. You have been thrown for a serious loop - take care of yourself, dear, please.

Feb 1, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 

FRO in light of my recent "incidents" all I can say is honour the life you still have, the memories you shared, the journey you still have ahead. Guidance

Feb 1, 07 1:24 am  · 
 · 

my condolences FRO.
you might know, i've been dealing with a dying friend and it is best to try accepting the things we can not change in times like this.
on the better note, fucker got up today and walked about 6'. short for us but long distance for him. he has been in comatose for last few days and today, here we go, lucid and dramatic as usual. he is now on the waiting list to move into a nice hospice care in long beach to spend whatever left of his life in a home like environment.

Feb 1, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

holz- i didn't get a chance to respond to your very witty as usual post about genocides... but well said here and there.

Feb 1, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this may sound strange but when my grandfather died in the early nineties i was quite depressed until i saw the seventh seal. now i had seen this movie a couple of times previously, but the film's impact didnt' really hit me until i saw it in conjunction with the loss of a loved one. the film made me feel much better about death and now whenever i am dealing with the end of life, i try to see that film.

also, where the hell are the chicago charetters for the libary project???

Feb 1, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i can fly up there (i have family in the Chi-burbs, my place of birth)... if there's gonna be a big weekend meet up i would certainly take a day off and look into some a cheap southwest fare...

Feb 1, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

ugh. I'm having a terribly conflicted day. We had a presentation at lunch by a great furniture company, and all the spaces that their furniture was in were GREAT. Even though it wasn't about architecture, it made me wonder if I shouldn't give architecture one more chance at a better firm.... *sigh* I don't need this internal conflict right now, when I thought I had everything worked out. Maybe this is just my subconcious's way of preparing me for the possibility of not getting in to grad school?

Feb 1, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

that's good news orhan.

Feb 1, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

thanks jump. it really made up my day.

Feb 1, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

the hardest thing about cancer is how slow and painful it tends to be. orhan stay strong and find little things to make you smile while dealing with your friends slow death.

Feb 1, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
AP

your friend is fortunate, considering the history you've shared with us, to have you there in this difficult time. it must do wonders for his mind, to know that your past differences of opinion are, in the end, secondary.

Feb 1, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Feb 2, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Me too. And laughing. Oh, Friday, where have you been all week....

Feb 2, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

seriously. i love friday. a bunch of us just went out for a fantastic Thai food lunch. mmmmmmmm. green curry with chicken. spring rolls. coconut soup. some crazy orange milky tea... de-licious.

Feb 2, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

one of my first architectural apprentice is coming to see me. She's all grown up (she's older than me - I was forced rippen). Anyway she's set up practice about the last 5 years, moved from a 3 person to a 1-woman. But always fun with her.

Feb 2, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Glad you are getting a visitor architechno - you must be going crazy! And per the Colts blue thing, naaahh, Angus isn't getting bullied - he's enormously popular from what I can decipher from 3 year olds.

Feb 2, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Great...yeah someone felt sorry for me, asside from my 6 yo niece I've not had much contact with someone from outside the house. It is a tad maddening

Feb 2, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

I fucked up. Do you want to know how I fucked up? I fucked up by trusting that when an ASSOCIATE at my office, who has over a decade of experience in this industry, who was one of my PROJECT MANAGERS, issued a sketch to our contractor clarifying dimensions and heights, that his numbers were right.

That, apparently, was the last thing I should have done, because now we've issued a bunch more stuff to the contractor that has turned out to be wrong, all because I didn't know that my project manager just pulled that dimension out of his ass.

Oh, AND he's taken a leave of absence this month to go out of the country, which is why all this falls to me and not to him.

FUCK!!!!!!

Feb 2, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So sorry rationalist...only a few more hours to the weekend, will that help?

And as you know: YOU didn't fuck up, you're cleaning up the mess of someone else who did. Frustrating, but try not to beat yourself up over it.

Feb 2, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

no way to fall back on the 'architects not responsible for verifying dimensions' defense??

Feb 2, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its first friday and that means some gallery hopping and free booze after work. speaking of work, although i am at the office i am actually taking some pto time and getting some breuer library pre charrette things done...oh and some reps brought in chili and fixin's for a pre superbowl tailgate party.

Feb 2, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I always wondered how the Hell can you check dimensions in a Frank Ghery office?

Feb 2, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

why would it be necessary? isn't everything identified as an coordinate-in-space, integrated via model?

Feb 2, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

^^^ being somewhat sarcastic. revit, which you'd think wouldn't have dimensioning errors because it calculates the dimensions in an integrated sort of way, is not only subject to user error in assigning the base points for those dimensions, but it is SO MUCH harder to find the problem than in autocad.

Feb 2, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Steven: I can only imagine the conversations which go on in that office regarding dimensions when something doesn't work right. I would also like to know how many change orders on of his projects produces.

Feb 2, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

thanks guys. It's always nice to know I have somebody's support when I'm freaking out.

Apparently we're going to try the defense of "if there was a height that did not fall in line with our eave and ridge heights, then that should have generated an RFI so that we could clarify or take another look at it, it's not your job to just proceed with an obviously bad number". I'll let you know how that one works out...

Feb 2, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Actually, I lost track of the breuer post this week because I have been exhausted from the new job all week. I have been getting home and going straight to bed, so I'm off that post by a week, and now I feel too hopelessly far behind to catch up. Haven't read any of the articles/minutes on the subject!!

Think someone could bring me up to speed briefly? I'd love to charette the project if that's going down. I've just been randomly out of the loop for one week.

Feb 2, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

yes. charrette. get busy, myriam!

Feb 2, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ok, i will try to skim the thread and get the details. it's hard, i have no apartment, and very very very little internet time!!

Feb 2, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I'm with you, myriam. This week has been a blur.

It's Friday, and I promised myself that I WON'T go into the office this weekend.

Good news: I got my PASS letter for PD yesterday. 3 down, 6 to go. I'm totally screwed for LF next week, though... However, liquefaction WAS discussed on my current project at work...

Feb 2, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Good news: I finally got my 5-year-old $4000 debt to Drexel paid off this week.

Bad news: I'll be eating ramen noodles for at least two more weeks.

Good news: I got my 2007-2008 FAFSA filled out and submitted.

Bad news: My parents didn't sign the GSAPP scholarship application, so I have to send it back down there, and have them send it back once they've signed it.

Worse news: Still no roommate yet. Arrgh.

Feb 2, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

LiG you don't need any more bad news its Friday

Feb 2, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

anyone get one of these for x-mas?

http://www.thinkbotics.com/military.htm

Feb 3, 07 2:45 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good news: I went to an art opening last night, and bumped into someone I know "out on the town" - made me feel like I have a bit of a community here finally!

Bad news: husband has to work all weekend and so do I so we will be jockeying child care all weekend and not have any time together as a family (except the art opening last night).

Good news: I hopefully get to see Steven and family tomorrow yay!

betadinesutures I think you are hanging out in some bad virtual neighborhoods!

Feb 3, 07 8:20 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i went to an art opening too! alas, i did not see liberty bell. i did drink some free wine though. the place is just up the street. a modern building along the lines of the breuer library actually. used to be a school. now it hosts artists studios, gallery space, some other nonprofit etc and some art space for a high school.

the show last night was called "captain crunch" and was pirate themed. they were handing out free eyepatches. in the gym there was a fencing club doing their thing.

i also spoke to some artists i know, who have studio space in the building. funtimes.

Feb 3, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wish I'd seen the pirate show, vado. Ay! We were at iMoCA. That mod studio building IS a cool one. Also, sadly, I was so busy wrangling my child that I didn't grab a free glass of wine, what was I thinking?!?!?

Also, myriam, a cautious congratulations on the new job, I'm concerned that you don't sound overly excited about it but perhaps you are just tired. I hope it's going well!

Feb 3, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

well they also had capn crunch cereal there too!

Feb 3, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: