Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

WonderK

Don't tell me you've done a CAD line drawing of the great Sagrada Familia, myriam!?!

Actually, if you are trying to show work that you've done and all you have are CD sets, you could make a couple of 8.5x11 inch prints of some pages of the CD set and send that along. As long as it was a good looking set, I'd say.

Dec 1, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Well, I did a lot of different things, but nothing is going to be as telling as either a) the detail sheets (where we figured a bunch of awesome things out at 1:1) or b) construction photos. Unfortunately, it is going to take a little while to get the photos I need, because I am no longer in Boston, and construction is still going on. Arrrrrgh!

It doesn't help that I re-figured my finances today and I have to get a job ASAP.

On the other hand, the library I am in at the moment is AMAZING. About the only worthwhile piece of architecture in my entire town, and it was only done about 8 years or so ago. Maybe I should forget Chicago and just go work for them...

Dec 1, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm putting some Easter Eggs in my resumé. If they actually find them, then I'll know they're the kind of firm I want to work for--and if they actually find them, then they'll have a better idea of who I am!

Dec 1, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
TED

hey abra - is this trip because you had a meet-up scheduled with the pope?

"Hi abra! thx for the pint and the great advise!, your friend ben."

Dec 1, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

myriam
i've always put a mix of my personal/pro work...
i put my thesis in always to show my personal style etc. and
then photos of projects i have made a significant contribution to.

i don't think it's the job of your promo page to explain what you
did/did not do...that's what the interview is for...

i've also included pages from cd sets that i personally worked on..
but only when they're interesting and a bit out of the ordinary.

Dec 1, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Great advice, lars, thanks.

And I definitely spoke too soon about fitting my resumé onto one page. Argh.

Dec 1, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Crap Vado Friday night 62 degrees, wind blowing lighting and thunder....no I'm Not in Florida, I'm In Connecticut! It has been a good week for the Masons on my project....no winter protection required.

Dec 1, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Now there saying look forward to loosing Power.....early to bed I guess....glad I'm married to a Brazilian....

Dec 1, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

myriam,

I lived in Milwaukee for the first 21 years of my life. Great town. I wish I could move back.

You could definitely make a day trip out of it. The downtown is very walkable. If you plan to take the train, you could visit the Third Ward (old renovated warehouses), then take a trip down Wisconsin Avenue to the Milwaukee Art Museum. The lower East Side has some good non-chain hotels (eg. Astor Hotel). Brady Street is great and eclectic.

I could go on for days - email me if you're seriously interested in a day trip.

Dec 1, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

where are you, myriam? and who are 'them' that you might want to work for? i'm sure you said and i've missed it.

Dec 1, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

vado-

when are you going to start a 'for susan surface' thread?

or

'babes of archinect'

Dec 2, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Steven, I'm in CA esonced in the parental bosom, attempting to apply for jobs in Chicago from afar. I don't know who "they" are yet, unfortunately, because I still know NOTHING about the job market in Chicago, what firms are interesting, etcetera. I'm just going to cast my net as wide as I can, I guess, and hope it works out in the end. There are only two firms that pique my interest so far, and none that satisfy *all* my criteria (which is fine), but many that I think would be perfectly fine to work at. It's a bit nerve-wracking.

Meanwhile all of my things are in a storage unit in Chicago, awaiting my move after the holidays. Hopefully with a job lined up.

Dec 2, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

treekiller the fine women of archinect are smart talented and beautiful. not toys or playthings. well maybe one or two...

Dec 2, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

myriam, i meant the 'them' of the exquisite library that might have tempted you to forget chicago. good luck. are you waiting until you have a job to move there, or going cold at some point?

Dec 2, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

vado's being disingenuous. he's waiting for the calendar and doesn't want to ruin it with just a thread because then the calendar might not happen. am i warm, vado?

Dec 2, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

talking 'bout babes- my wife is heading out tonite for some girltalk with a freind, so I'm left at home alone to experiment making Manhattans with my new bottle of Sezerac Rye.

Beta, you got any plans?

Dec 2, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Ahh-yes, when it was first built I looked up the firm and to my surprise found that it was a local O.C. firm...this county is not known for its excellent architecture so I was impressed. Their name escapes me, however, but I will look them up again, just in case.

As for Chicago, I'm going to try to line up interviews, but if nothing bites before mid-January I'm going to go regardless; there's temp work I can do while I continue the job-hunt locally. In my experience it is extremely difficult to get a job until you're actually in the area you're looking.

Dec 2, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

was just searching the dusty corridors of archinect looking for my very first post...

may have found it here, talking shit about UPenn...

Anybody else up to discussing their first time?

Dec 2, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk, I'm impressed that you just joined this year and are already up to 1200+ posts. Well done, sir! My first post ever, ironically, was on a thread about a professor at my school who has since moved on. I say ironically because it was a little bit more flagrant that what you are used to reading from me, and I have since become quite the "post pacifist", after embarrassing myself a little. Eh, we've all done it here and there.

Dec 2, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i had a few years of lurking in the undergrowth to get to know the usual suspects first.

Dec 2, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

sorry tree, was at a tea tasting event with brother in law and then at a chili tasting/xmas tree buying event at CEO's home...

Dec 2, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I'm still waiting for the "fine men of Archinect" calendar to come out…

Dec 2, 06 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sorry katze there are just too many months...

Dec 2, 06 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

holy shit...i didn't even notice but i'm now over a thousand posts! guess i need to slow down.

Dec 3, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

vado is spot on - as usual. perhaps a quarterly calendar?

Dec 3, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Or we do different themes.
-Men of archinect without pants
-Men of archinect pretending to be brad pitt
-Men of archinect posing infront of the latest starchitecture edifice...

Dec 3, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

this thread is growing too long...i'm trying to figure out a way to kill it but i can't think of anything better than invite per over here for some more 3d honeycomb and nobody wants that.

Dec 3, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

We have plenty of good pics for the "Fine Men of Archinect"!!! First quarter is done, working on the rest!

Dec 3, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

puddles. do not kill TC. Its destiny is to see how long it can get, and how long we can go without killing it.

Katze, I would definitely buy that calendar.

Dec 3, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure u put puddles' ass in that calender!!!

Dec 3, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

vado in a bowtie.....and of course with no pants....maybe boxers..

Dec 3, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
dia

237amdotcom seems to have a cheeky nemesis...

Dec 3, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

any last requests before I publish the 2007 "Fine Men of Archinect" Calendar???

Dec 3, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

substitute puddles ass for me cuz that pic is thirty years old!

Dec 3, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

it's 4:05 am and i haven't slept at home in 2 days and I'm presenting our semester-long studio project last tomorrow because my prof thinks i'll make her look good and i'm just damned sure i won't and i wasted an hour on a sketch model that i gave up on any way and 2 hours on a 'book' of my random sketching and thoughts and notes to myself that will be the most honest and least contrived part of my presentation which i am relatively certain no one will look at anyway (the book, not the presentation) and now i'm here on archinect writing to thousands of strangers and a few friends just to forestall going home because then i'll have to get up in 3 hours and face tomorrow (today!).

anyone else get anxious before crits?

Dec 4, 06 4:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

SH, trust your prof - if she thinks you'll "make her look good" she must mean it even knowing that you will be sleep-deprived plus loopy from trying to stay awake listening to everyone else's crits.

Keep that book handy!! It is probably as you say the most honest part of your presentation and even if you don't make a big deal about it, you can always have it there for casual perusing by the crits - Im sure it says some stuff that you will really mean to say in your verbal presentation but will forget.

Good luck, as you allude to above: just be honest and non-confrontational and I'm sure it will go well. Also, probably don't wear your arch sucks shirt.

Dec 4, 06 7:12 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I have a last minute submission for the calendar...

Dec 4, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

chili dont do those sorts of things in your parents bedroom!!!

Dec 4, 06 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Hey, they weren't home!

Dec 4, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm just glad I made the cover!

Dec 4, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

SH, relax. Don't meader, don't get frustrated, just stay calm, and stay confident, and especially stay focused. And like lb said, don't get confrontational. If someone doesn't get something, it might be because you need to explain it more, not because they are retarded. Although that is the reason in a small number of cases.

Seriously, pretend like you are presenting to me when I am mad at you. It will work out just fine.

And Chili, that is outstanding. Can you send me a high res version so I can frame it for my wall?!?

Dec 4, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'm bringin sexy back.

Dec 4, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sexy indeed, Chili - that coverlet pattern is especially lusty.

I am about to make pot #2 of coffee as my morning requires more caffeine. Off to a Monday morning bang and not the good kind...

Dec 4, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Do I spot a Gideon Bible there in the background, Chil? For SHAME.

Dec 4, 06 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Damn hotel bibles. No $100 bill in it either.

Dec 4, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

IT WENT FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 4, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP

sweet SH...share more once you've slept on it...

Dec 4, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

or sober up.

Dec 4, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Glad to hear it, SH.

I am concerned with what will happen when TC gets beyond three rows of page numbers, I can't imagine how the page will handle it graphically.

I came across these two sentences this evening and thought they were funny:
Little research has been completed on the long-term effects of low-level microwaves on humans. Since microwaves have been in wide use since the ’70s, it is assumed there is little risk that someone will heat up leftovers and then grow a fin.

Jeez, I've procrastinated long enough and now I have to go balance my checkbook. Hopefully I'll survive and be back tomorrow....

Dec 4, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I guess SH wasn't being sarcastic then. His MySpace page said something about people basically standing around and clapping for him for 2 hours, lol.

Dec 4, 06 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: