Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

i confess up.

autumn equinox was my b-day. 9/23.
we went to lawry's prime rib as usual and over ate as usual. i even had cream of spanich and with ecoli thing going on, waitress said "brave man". can you believe it? i told her "no coli can come between me and my c of s", plus i knew i could make or tina could get a lot of money from a big chain like lawry's if anything happened to me by eating the tainted dinner...(background music is 'tainted love' at this paragraph)
it was a little lap sided day to begin with and dinner started at 10 pm. by the time we were done (tina and i) it was kind of mutual yawning. it is okay. birthdays were never my thing anyway. as a matter of fact it was not customary to celebrate birthdays when i was growing up. little different with younger generation these days though.
so the cake portion of dinner arrived with a single candle on it and i took my time blowing it off while trying to come up with a wish and breathing out slowly on the lonely candle, twisted green and white one.
all the while the restaurant staff singing happy b day dear customer... i hate it and pissed off at tina afterwards for telling them. i usually insist we keep it secret. but anyway lawry's is kind of old farts b day kind of place and you can gaze all the other suckers that share the same equinox day exciaties with you. even you've never seen them before, you feel a strange affinity towards them. i guess that is why i insist on going there on my birthdays, because the space planning of the large room allows you to do that. thats right, this is why i go there. to see those birthday pals.

~~~~

just got home from disappointing electrician didn't show up day at the job site when we were planning to suspend bartco t-5 fixtures with aircraft cables.

~~~~

tina fed the whole roasted chicken to the dogs but i was able to snatch a wing and guess what? fuckin' rupi wanted even that. dogs. they just can't stop beggin. it is not bacon its beggin'. remember that commercial? bacon bacon bacon. its... beggiiiin'...

~~~~

g'night.

Sep 25, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Happy belated birthday dear dear dear abra. You are the all-seeing eye here and I couldn't feel more pleased and sescure at being under watch of such a wise and benevolent dictator. Many best wishes for the upcoming year to be the best ever for you, you more than most (in the world in general - not amongst archinecters) deserve good and peaceful and satisfying things in your life.

Gotta go give Gus a treat now, he's got his nose pressed flat against the treat cabinet door and is making low whining sighs...you'd think we starve that dog by his meoldramatics! Doggy Academy Awards, they'd all take home the prize.

Goodnight.

Sep 25, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Orhan, Happy B-Day! Hope you enjoyed your meal! BTW, you know the server should have told you that you shouldn't worry about the creamed spinach - as long as you cook it to 160+ degrees, the temp will kill any bacteria!

Sep 25, 06 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

happy belated, dear Abra

Sep 25, 06 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

happy belated then? i am almost 40 and you know what, not one surprise party ever! how can that be? i can't even eat cake anymore. c of s i don't know if i can eat anything cream o' i hated c of c growing up it always made me gag...

Sep 25, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

for you on your birfday!

Sep 25, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
AP

happy birthday +abracadabra
Sep 25, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

good idea, AP. Happy bday, abra!

Sep 25, 06 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

**note: someone save that for abra's 3,000th

Sep 25, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh man did that make me laugh. Nice one AP!

Sep 25, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am glad i don't play DnD any more thanks for that photo AP!

Sep 25, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

tina just told me she will enroll a yoga class thought by humprey bogart's daughter...santamonicayoga.com i am not kidding...

Sep 25, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

wow you guys have been busy today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABRA!

My birthday's in a couple of weeks.

For now I'm in Florida. Strange place, this sauna-land. I think I'm going to take my young coworker to see Celebration tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Sep 26, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 

happy happy abra abra.

the new blog from 9th ark/east los angeles community college is intriguing. it will either be a wonderfully quirky story-telling blog - as if inspired by abra himself - or maybe not. i'll keep watching it though. kid seems to have something interesting going on.

....or maybe it IS abra posing as a community college student?!

Sep 26, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
AP

intriguing indeed. East Los Angeles Community College?

something to keep on an eye on, to be sure...from his profile:

Sometime later in the future, I will be one of the leading architects of the new world along with my peers, colleagues, and the rest of modern society.

ELAC does exist, and they do have an Architecture program...so...?

dubK, welcome to Florida! what are you doing here?

Sep 26, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Since we're all in the birthday party mood- today is MINE!!!! I've passed the 1/3rd of a century mark and none to soon!!!! have some brownies!

My birthday present to me, is I have an interview later today & just lined up 'nother one! No Lawrys or McKormick & Schmidt for me till I land a gig...

AP- that photo is brilliant- remember folks, this is who we are designing buildings for- the everyday (weird) joe and betty.

re: the house
There's a crab apple tree in back that I'm slowly dismembering with a carefull prune and I got to hack an unwelcome mulberry to death. Now all that's left is the dandylions and weeds in the lawn- hope their are enough of those vagrant to keep me busy untill I start working.

beta- we found our pad on craigslist. mpls tend to list houses 2 months before they are available, so start contacting people now.

My hood is called 'tangle town' - still trying to figure out if that refers to the mess of vines down by minnehaha creek, or the curved streets up by this thing:

the washburn water tower - pretty cool as an urban monument and act of infrastructural urbanism...

Sep 26, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
e

happy happy mr. cadabra and treekiller. best to the both of you.

treekiller, i live a few blocks from tangletown, seattle. there is a bar at the main intersection named as such too. good beers there. anyway, it is named such due to the web of streets in the area.

Sep 26, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

happy birthday to all...

went to the flaming lips show here in nyc last night..there last
show of their current tour...and man did it give me an existential
crisis...or something like that.

every time i see a show i want to be a rock star...screw this architecture
stuff. all i wanna do is stand on stage and control a couple thousand
people.

or just have the freedom to not have to go into work today. one of
their songs asks 'if you could lay on your back while the rest of the
world works, would you do it?' ( and the crowd responds yeah, yeah,
yeah, yeah, etc.) simple stuff, but leads me to wonder why
we take things so seriously and work most of our existence away.

i lo/te architecture.

Sep 26, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i hear ya lars. i'm having those existential crises more and more all the time. movies, concerts, books, conversations with the mail man (who has a great job, by the way), going into the coffee shop: almost anything can trigger it these days.

Sep 26, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 

happy birthday treekiller.
good luck with the move beta. and thank you guys again for wishing me a happy birthday.
i hope you will get a good job tk. that picture of the house made me think about los angeles few times since yesterday. some day we might move to columbus, ohio for a reason or two.
i came within 'a decision' of moving to sydney once. los angeles is like an net, once it gets you, good luck getting out. its been almost 30 years. the city has ben more home to me than any other place on earth. i kind of grew up here...
it is like, i know what that building used to be.

Sep 26, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
myriam

not per, I knew I had to quit this one job I had when I started longing--truly longing--to be a parking lot attendant.

Every single job I saw during those days--including mailman!--sent me into spasms of jealousy. All I could see were things like "he gets to be outside all day" and "when he drops his last piece of mail through a mail slot, he's done, he heads home"; the world was suddenly FULL of better jobs, better jobs, better jobs. I had to walk through a wasteland of trucking bays and parking lots to get to the arch. job I had, and one day, literally in the midst of snowy winter, I thought, "look at that parking attendant! he just gets to sit outside all day!!!" and suddenly stopped in the snow and realized the absurdity of what I was thinking. I gave notice the next week and life got much better.

Reminds me of some advice someone very wise told me recently... "don't let this job ruin your love of architecture". Also sounds like a recent boston globe ad campaign: "when it's time to leave your job, the signs are obvious."

Sep 26, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
myriam

lars, I've been dying to go to a Flaming Lips concert for years. They keep coming through here when I don't have the money to see them. Man I am so sick of being dead broke.

Sep 26, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i'm thinking what i really need is a job reading books.

Sep 26, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I need a job posting on archinect.

Sep 26, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
AP

I once had a conversation with a parking lot attendant in Verona. I was innocently sketching Carlo Scarpa's Banco Popolare, and he proceeded to tell me all about Giotto and his use of a circular motif (comparing / contrasting it with Scarpa's use of the circle on the bank's facade, and within the bank's spaces...)

happy birthday treekiller!

Sep 26, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'll join the birthday crowd, mine was last week. Sooo, there was a surprise party the night before my birthday (Saturday), and I was invited, but it was for someone else. Yes, I yelled SURPRISE for someone else's birthday... on my birthday... The guest of honor's birthday was several days before and he had already celebrated it then, so the party was kinda wierd, especially when people found out it was my birthday. I tried to invite people out the next night, but they were pretty much birthday'ed out by then.

Nice house! I am definitley longing for a place I can afford too. Have even thought of moving back to the midwest. Housing out here is absurd, I seriously can't afford anything.

Sep 26, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Happy birthday, Strawbeary and treekiller! Strawbeary, sorry your bday celebration was lowkey. Love that water tower, treekller, and good luck with the interview - nice b-day present if you get a job (and it turns out to be a good one)!

garpike, I'm happy to see you hanging around a lot lately, but I'm a little worried that maybe it's another recovery session for you after a second round of surgeries?! You mentioned something about not having a TV. Hope all is OK.

I've got wilsonjd's CD Swap playing right now and it is really, really good. I love the CD Swap, those of you who don't participate might consider it!

Sep 26, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

my goodness, don't you guys do any work? j/k. I'm busy like hell right now.

Happy birthday to all!

Shameless plug: go here to learn how you can help me get a design produced. The website you vote through is uber-crappy, but the voting just gets me to the real judging round done by designers, so it doesn't necessarily matter if you can actually view it- just vote for it!

Sep 26, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

myriam.

that's what credit cards are for...or second credit cards. i know it
sucks to be in debt. :see all of my years in college..when a 20
could last for a week. a 20 lasts maybe a day now.

but i'm of the opinion that life experiences are worth the money...
i paid a bunch of dough to go to bonarroo again this year..even
though i hadn't planned on it. cause i wanted to see radiohead
and beck perform. i dropped everything and went to norway to
see my aunt five days before she died...even though it was going
to cost me. also put myself in 3k of debt driving cross country/
going to europe/ and moving to nyc almost all in the same year
or so...

some things are worth putting aside worrying about money. but i
empathize with your situation...the show was great btw..first time
i've seen them..and i've wanted to see them for years.

Sep 26, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

not per correll starring in three days of the condor!

Sep 26, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

obscure reference lost on not per corell? or just a short circuit on my part, an obvious reference that i'm just not getting?

Sep 26, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

man, you guys are a freakin society after all. I was basing it off assumptions in my "thread", but now i know for sure.

Sep 26, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

three days of the condor is a sidney pollack(from sketches of frank gehry fame) directed flick from the 70's starring that handsome stud robert redford. redford plays joseph turner codename the condor, a bookish fellow who works for the cia. he and several other "agents" spend their days reading every book, article, story that they can, searching for codes, plots etc...one day turner goes out to pick up lunch for he and his coworkers. when he returns he finds that they have all been murdered. from there the adventure begins.

Sep 26, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

"The Society of Centrally Located Beautiful Minds"

Sep 26, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
AP
be careful who you trust.

fitting, especially since double agent npc has betrayed our trust with his masquerading!

Sep 26, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

can someone tell me how to use the codes to post links and images?
i know i'm retarded, but i don't get it. are you just supposed cut and paste the link url where it says "www.link.com"? because i did that for the image posting and it didn't work.

Sep 26, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

soupisgood, start with this thread about image posting, it has lots of helpful tricks.

Basically it's the code shown below, but "ww w.link.com" is the url of the link, and the word "link" is whatever text you want to read red and be the actual hotlink.

Sep 26, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

{url=http://www.link.com}text you want us to read{/url}

{img}http://www.addressofyourimage.jpg{/img}

With everywhere that I've used a { you should substitute a [ instead.

Sep 26, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ahhh, this is why rationalist is in graphic design: look how clear her explanation is!!!

Sep 26, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dont go giving away all the secrets!!!

Sep 26, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

thanks!

Sep 26, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone who comes to TC seeking answers, and is reasonably nice about it, shall recieve them. Maybe not soulikeit or equal, but there's no reason the rest of the archinecters shouldn't know how to post an image. After all, that way we get to see more fun projects, yummy food, and cute kittens.

Sep 26, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

for you, rationalist

Sep 26, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'll say it again: I take full responsibilty for teaching vado how to post images.

But I did NOT teach him to post youtube links!

Sep 26, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

It's been a good day. My stuff finally got through the fossil entry process, people are rating it highly (thank you), I spent a nice long lunch having sushi with a carpet rep, there's birthday cake in the office at some point this afternoon, and soupisgood posted me a kitten, which is very cute indeed. ooh, and I've got typography tonight, and actually came up with something nice for it (finally, at the last minute as always). Very good day.

Sep 26, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

gatorboard: You're a student, so I'll clue you in: architecture is about society i.e. it is based on good relationships. Good relationships with clients, with people who might become future clients, with the friends of people who might become future clients, with consultants, with code officials, with suppliers, with contractors, with delivery guys, and yes with other architects.

The lone genius who actually is successful is rare. Robert Oschatz, Bruce Goff, who else? And even they had the ability to charm people into paying them to design buidlings.

Sep 26, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'm going through a whole self-doubt period at this moment... i start school on thursday and keep thinking what if
a) i can't be creative at all / can't design worth a crap
b) the school experience kills my love of architecture
c) i like sleep more than i thought

i woke up this morning at 4:30am with butterflies. was anyone else this nervous about school? i was super excited last week but now it's all nerves as the first day approaches.

Sep 26, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

ACfA, over one year out, and I miss school very much.

a) I think you'll be fine.
b) That's what your professional experience is for.
c) That can be unlearned.

Sep 26, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

wait a minute; is this cake for you rationalist? happy birthday. another september child.
as far as i am concerned who was born around this time is a product of new years wish or a wild party gone careless.
september minus 9 months+ = happy new year...

Sep 26, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

That's one way to stick to the I-will-drink-less resolution, at least for the woman.

Sep 26, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: