Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

A Center for Ants?

here's your sign-

you have a husky or alaskan malamute??? i love those dogs! i've been wanting one for ever now. they're gorgeous dogs.

Aug 18, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

piss away jump! it's worth the jab, since wealthy/pretentious people annoy me too...i'm likely yet another misanthrope.

Aug 19, 06 2:22 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Looks cool, jump! Thanks! Their "English" is cute, too :)

Aug 19, 06 7:24 am  · 
 · 

hah, yeah there are a few odd choices, like using "after 25" instead of "next 25" (choices in a search), but it at least makes sense, more or less. i have had to use the site in japanese til now, so this is a nice new option...

Aug 19, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

Myriam - Nanz is actually pretty expensive - their products are all custom made - so the "stock" items thay have are cheaper than your own design but hey still manufacture everything for a specific job. Having said that Nanz is great and my firm uses them on high-end residential.

To put another name in the hat in addition to all the others - there is also Sugatsune. And Modric.

Aug 19, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Still alive. Sorry it's been a while.

This is why. My piercer is starting his own shop and needs marketing materials, so I've been updating like crazy so that he (and others of course) can see my work, so that I'll hopefully have another freelance job in the pipeline. It's been a really crazy week, with the car, and not getting the new car until next week, so the bus everywhere, and doing the portfolio, and people taking me out for my birthday. So yeah, just dropping in to let you know that I'm still around, and finally let you see all that work that's been driving me crazy. I'm actually thinking of taking *two* night classes next semester, on top of doing the grad portfolio. Am I crazy or what?

Aug 20, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i must take a nap now.

Aug 20, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

naps are yummy- gotta have at least one a month to keep sane.

Aug 20, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Did anyone else notice that the front page image that used to be labeled "Thread with Potential: Post a Pic of Your Studio Space" now says: "In the Forums: Post a ..."

Congrats on the promotion to actual existence, Post a Pic thread!!!

Aug 20, 06 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

rationalist, your work looks great, and I especially LOVE the great table image!! Very nice, humorous and down to earth.

And any sentence that starts with "My piercer is..." cracks me up.

I can't claim to know a lot about current graphic design, and to let you know where I'm coming from I've always thought this:
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0486204715.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1114055909_.jpg width=375> is one of the best graphics I've ever seen, but I'll go ahead and throw in my opinion that I think you're making a good decision pursuing the graphic design field. So go ahead, you're not crazy to take two classes, especially when you seem to enjoy it so much!

Aug 20, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

crap I knew that wouldn't work!

Aug 20, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Still alive.

Been in Fiji after geting a commision to do 3 houses there. Found an interesting abandoned hotel, and got a winter tan...

Aug 20, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
AP

sweet. 3 houses in Fiji!?

Aug 21, 06 8:33 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sweet is the exact word! What a drag, doing a site visit in Fiji, sigh....

That abandoned hotel is very cool, too. Maybe I should sell everything I own, fly to Fiji, renovate the hotel and try to make a go of it?!

Aug 21, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
AP

I can swing a hammer, if you need a hand, lb.

Aug 21, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm having such a crappy day that I'm obsessively posting commentary on children's books to try to keep my mood up! And it's only three hours into the work day!!!

Aug 21, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

... so yeah, AP, if I decide to toss it all and run to Fiji I'll definitely let you know!

Aug 21, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

every hotel needs a bell boy!

Aug 21, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado you're better suited to be the concierge who can get you tickets and reservations to absolutely anything and fulfill bizarre requests no questions asked.

Aug 21, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

how bizarre?

Aug 21, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i will do anything to work on a project in fiji... as long as i get to go to fiji... no, really. ANYthing.

Aug 21, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

lb, I need a pick me up too

Aug 21, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

+

=

liberty bell 3000

Aug 21, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks for talking about me in your 3000th post lb!!!

Aug 21, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

clap clap

Aug 21, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

LB you 10X my 300th achievement- you go girl!

Aug 21, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

perhaps the best part is lb is 300x her entries.

Aug 21, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

lb, ever consider writing a childrens book?

Aug 21, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops - I intended to just let the 3000 ride for awhile because it looks cool, but then I commented on Jack White's Grosse Point home in the news section so here I am inadvertently at 3001.

Make that 3002.

SBD, why am I 300x my 3K? Is it because I'm also Steven Ward and e and therefore can roll their post count into my own? While I'm at it, by the way, I'm also vado. And since WonderK is still in the UK, I'll be her today too. So I'm actually at like 10,000 comments. Go me!

Also, I'm thinking about your existentialarchitectural crisis, SBD, and will comment on it on that thread...

Aug 21, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hah, very, garpike, but I'm no Madonna. Just plain Donna is all.

Aug 21, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And by the way, going back to stephanie's post at the top of the page: Did anyone see Snakes on a Plane this weekend? Comments?

Aug 21, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i did not see SOAP. however, i did see Little Miss Sunshine and enjoyed it immensely. However, other colleagues of mine haven't shared the same sentiment.

and LB, you ARE a madonna. Ma Donna, or at least to your kid you are. You could iconographically relate yourself by utilizing the all to familiar blue cloak of the madonna (not to be confused with the red of Mary Magdalene)... are you wearing blue today?

Aug 21, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
dia

LB, congrats on the 3000.

Unfortunately, that hotel and 80 acres of land was recently sold for AUD$1.5 million after being abandoned for nearly 10 years [or so we were told]. Reminds me of a Tacita Dean piece showing an abandoned house somewhere, with a circular form.

It is acessed by a harsh clay road only accessible by 4wd, no power and no water or sewer services...

Aug 21, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I loved Little Miss Sunshine!

lb, I still have "Writing and Publishing Childrens Books for Dummies" sitting on my book shelf. Amazon semi-impulse buy.

Aug 21, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

0.5 * lb = 1500 Total Comments

Aug 21, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

this property is for $ 1,125 000 on a regular west side los angeles lot of 5000 sq. ft.
a little more expensive than fiji hotel with 80 acres. i don't even know if it is earthquake safe. arrgh...

Aug 21, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Poo. I'm moving!

Aug 21, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Here is the abandoned house in the Tacita Dean film "Bubble House":

And I think that a renovation of that hotel would cost at least NZ$10 Million with the level of services and access needed... But it does share a bay with the Shangri La Fijian...

Aug 21, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
dia

woops:

Aug 21, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

Now THAT's an awesome house. I would paint it like an easter egg, and it would be terrifically po-mo.

Thank you, lb. I enjoyed the greattable project greatly. My favorite has always been Alphonse Mucha, creator of these
but lately I'm loving the Rauschenberg

Aug 21, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

HEY EVERYBODY! Thread Central was getting dangerously close to the bottom of the page.

FOCUS, PEOPLE! Priorities!

Aug 23, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

seriously, a 2 day pass on Thread Central post?! WTF?

WonderK gets back from her London trip today...I can't wait to see pics.

And I return briefly to Cincy this weekend to celebrate her triumphet return! Anyone want to join me?

Aug 23, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
AP

happy dub-day. TC. speaking of dub, I received a kind post card par avion, of the London Eye. by now, dubK has viewed the city from the atop the great ferris wheel.

If you're reading this, hope you're having fun.

You've inspired me to pay the post-card forward...so...anyone interested in receiving a greeting from Spain or the Netherlands in a few weeks, send me an email w/ your address. ...

Aug 23, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
AP

...didn't see your post, SuperBug...have a welcome home beer for me.

Aug 23, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 

my upholsterer's name is mariano cortes. what a beautiful name. he is super elegante.

Aug 23, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Orhan- I was searching for an upholster on the east side and never found one I thought was worth the $$. Bummer that I just learned of your recommendation one week before that ratty old midcentury sofa gets tossed on the truck to Mpls... now I have to start searching all over again.

Any recomendations for great workmanship in Minneapolis????

oh that is a mas elegante name.

Aug 23, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when i was a mercenary in biafra my nickname was cortez the killa!!! the ulposterer rode shotgun...

Aug 23, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

vado, I don't belive you...I wan't pictures/youtube as proof.

There is a firm that was recommended to me as Louis Carol (Cavol, Canol, not sure the spelling). The have/had an office in capetown, SA. any suggestions on the correct spelling and their website?

Aug 23, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

vado was a warrior from the land of the midnight sun...

speakin' of youtube, i will prop myself on my reference to lacanian signifiers in the representation of the symbolic importance of the lawn as manifested by tom jones singing "green green grass of home" was right on...

Aug 23, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
Mariano Cortes, the upholsterer

sounds like a character from a Gabriel Garcia-Marquez novel. I love it.

Aug 23, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: