anchor

Thread Central

garpike

I want that bubble house.

Now.

Aug 23, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

GREETINGS FROM MINNEAPOLIS ... I"M POSTING FROM VERA's COFFEE ON LYNDALE!!!!!

Aug 23, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
MY 800th POST!!!!!

... Someone buy a drink, dammit!!!!!!

Aug 23, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

McSmoke- so are you just visiting or is this your ancestral home??? I'm sure you've heard of my and betasutures impending move to that city of 10,000 parks.

If you're going to be in mpls in two weeks (my arrival date is set for the 5th), lets get an archinect meet up going...

Aug 23, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

drinks all around. minneapple martinis, maybe?

Aug 23, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

This is my first time here ... I'm visiting my girlfriend (who just returned from India) ... her parents live in Golden Valley.

It's beautiful here. Plus, Jean Nouvel's new building here is really cool ...

Aug 23, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

hehe. drinkety mc drink drink...

unrelated story;
people use to think they were getting a t-shirt if they post the 100 th post.

Aug 23, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

knockin down modernist masterpieces for that????

Aug 23, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

nah vado. they knocked down rapson's beautiful guthrie to expand the walker (herzog and demeuron). the new guthrie is down by the river.

Aug 23, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i thought they were knockin it down for a parking lot...

Aug 23, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I'm here only a couple of days ... I go back to New Haven on Saturday, August 26th ... which, incidentally, is my 35th birthday.

Aug 23, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

i miss minneapolis

Aug 23, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Well, the old Guthrie was severely compromised.

Rapson's Original Version (196?)...

With a new facade, in 1988

Aug 23, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

happy birthday mr. mcsmokey
happy birthday to you...

Aug 23, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

minneapple! love that moniker. bottoms ups!

Aug 23, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Wow, the old guthrie was BEAUTIFUL! What a shame about its update. And death.

I've always wondered how I would deal if one of my buildings got knocked down.

Aug 23, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

buildings are supposed to change over time, even dissapear if no longer needed. aren't they? i mean, they aren't museum objects are they? and isn't that why architects hate disney so much?

my prof told a story of how he asked kenzo tange once of he felt angry about the changes they made to his olympic pool...you know, this one:

i guess they did some large adjustments that killed all the fine detailing. tange answered that he didn't really care. he was only interested in the future and wanted to leave the past in the past. I would like to think that he also had a hold of his ego and didn't presume to control how people inhabited his buildings.

Aug 23, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

i've been posting all day like crazy.
time to retire... i think i'll go home and cook that new zealand leg o lamb i got from trader joe's. but i must go to tehran market first to get some armenian bread. such a small world these days.

being in the office mostly by myself last two months is finally getting to me. i must go out and socialize in the physical world... i should go to unurban coffeehouse down the street and hang out with my regular friends there.

paul= part time security guard part time unurban employee. him and his band have gigs at kibitz room on fairfax once or twice a month.
ezzedin=he is egyptian and opening falafel counter in westwood. i helped him with health department drawings.
jolie ann=theater director who works at unurban part time.
pam=from ohio, owner of unurban, part time stand up comedian. a real hustler.
danny=from brooklyn. teaches history at city college. big fan of frankfurt school.
josh=the only republican in the mix. succesfully argues with everybody on politics. we like him.
jim=alcoholic. he is a mess. homeless. speaks french with the german guy and knows who frank gehry is, by buildings. he said frank's got a lot of money. (?)

'unurban' is the adjacent street name...

Aug 23, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

sorry street name is 'urban'.. i am out of here...

Aug 23, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Later Orhan. I want to rad and post more on bossman's arch-firm-in-a-museum thread, re: your flyer etc., but tomorrow I meet with my accountant so have a ton of receipts to locate. He'll probably break down in tears when he sees the shopping bags full of paperwork I dump on him tomorrow!

But first, and I cannot believe I'm going to do this, I'm gonna check quick to see what Javier just posted on the attract any woman alchemist thread...

Aug 23, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Gouranga!!!!

Aug 23, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

pleeze don't eat me mister....

Aug 23, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Orhan, enjoy your NZ Leg...
I'll enjoy my Wendy's Frosty

Aug 23, 06 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
AP

orhan, you're a great story teller. thanks for takin' me to the local coffeeshop...

happy 35th smokety!

Aug 23, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

thanks. i'd like to see buildings retrofitted for different functions. ie; old factory buildings make great museums.

Aug 25, 06 2:41 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm hungover...but still alive

Aug 25, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
AP

5:05 EST

happy weekend to all.

Aug 25, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

2:06 PST

still rendering... animation due for client presentation monday by fedex deadline...

must not work over weekend...

Aug 25, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

ah. sitting with my coffee and bagel on the front porch, laptop on my lap, checking in to archinect.

Aug 26, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay, Steven is sitting on his NEW front porch!! ANd not a car in sight wahoo!!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'm not around much as my mother in law is in town so it's lots of going to the zoo etc. activities this weekend.

Aug 26, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hi, gang!

I'm back! I just spent 45 minutes skimming the last several pages of TC to see if I had missed anything. Not really, I decided. Although I would like to mention the following items:

-Whoever said Snakes on a Plane, I'm going to see it today. I imagine it will be hilarious. I got a call from Samuel L Jackson the other day, courtesy of my roommate, and that sealed the deal. I'll report back later.

-Yay, the UK was great. I don't really have any stories, mainly because I took it easy and just walked around and took over 600 pictures. It was insane. As soon as I get them uploaded and sorted I will pass some of them onto you for sure. I just hope they look half as great as ACfA's pics from Peru!

-AP I would like a postcard. I will follow procedure.

-SuperBeatledud just left from his 2-day stint aimed at establishing residency in Ohio. SuperHeavy, fresh off his own mega-trip and back in school now, made an apparance as well. It was a hella good time, especially since I brought absinthe back from Europe so we did some shots last night, and let's just say that SBD left an indelible impression on my friend Katie.

-I decided that I like being Goodwill Ambassador for Cincy. Now only if I could turn this into a paying position....(see below)

Gosh I feel like I missed a lot. I missed you guys too! I'm glad I got a 2-week respite though because that gave everyone else time to get ahead in the post count, I really felt like a weenie because I thought I was posting too much.

Steven I hope your house is going well. Orhan I love that you finished a new project. rationalist that sucks about your car. myriam you crack me up as always. jump, puddles, treekiller, diabase, etc. hello again!

And libery bell, I hope you are having better days. I am happy because I have wonderful friends and a great man-friend (that didn't forget about me while I was gone!), but my work is driving me nuts, I'm sorry to say. It's a long story but they are reading our emails and that, along with some crazy coworkers, are causing a lot of drama. I feel like it's time to move on again but it's a scary feeling and I don't want to feel that way, especially knowing that I want to go back to grad school next year. I just wish a had somebody that wanted some help for the next 10 months or so so that I could leave and then go to school and not deal with it anymore. I mean the work is fine (for now) and most of my coworkers are fine, but it's the few that ruin it for the many. Fortunately one of the trouble-makers is leaving in about a month so maybe I can ride it out until then. It's just this nagging feeling that I'm being watched by Big Brother and that somehow, some way, even though I do great work, I'm going to get fired for some ridiculous reason. Obviously, that's not fun.

Anyway, trying to enjoy my weekend (and my hangover). Going to see man-friend's band play tonight in Lexington. Talk to you all sooner rather than later.....

Aug 26, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay WonderK is back!

Now TC will come to peppy fun life again. Thank god!

Aug 26, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i missed u 2 wk...

Aug 26, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if i hear randy newmans song louisiana one more time, i am jumpin out the window.

Aug 27, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I missed you too, vado! I don't have time to watch those youtube things either, though. I don't know how you guys find those.

Saw Snakes on a Plane. It was horrible, campy, hilarious fun. However the highlight of my afternoon was when I talked to my mother and told her that I was going to see it, and she says to me, "you're going to see those motherfuckin snakes on the motherfuckin plane?!?" Unbelievable!

Aug 27, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

u just gotta know where to look wonderk

Aug 27, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Welcome back WonderK!

You guys probably didn't even notice since my presence is so sporadic lately anyways, but I just got back from another couple of days in Fresno, getting my 'new' car drivable. It's a salvage because of some extreeeeeme vandalism, and I've been putting it back together. This weekend, we installed a new dashboard, new seat covers (WAY harder than I anticipated, my hands hurt lots), and new mirrors. The dashboard was a real bitch, took a whole day by itself. But now I have a Jetta! On the way back it got about 35 mpg, which I'm ecstatic about, since my last car got about half that on a good day.

In other news, I registered for Typography and Package Design for next semester. So doing that on top of grad portfolio and of course, the work I actually get paid for, I'm going to be superbusy.

Aug 27, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

welcome back wonderk! and thanks for the well-wishing. we're almost, just about, finally in. i'm sitting on the couch today - the couch which has been in a POD for the last 3 wks and just came out today.

glad to hear your trip went well. you don't slow down, do you? what's with the co. reading email? did someone do something to prompt it or the management was bored and paranoid? crappy.

welcome back, too, rationalist. congrats on the car.

Aug 27, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and i wrote the two largest specification books i've ever done this week. arggh!

Aug 27, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

steven. any new pics of the home?

Aug 27, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

hey wonder welcome back. i only saw london from the air, pictures and from the stories. plus the tv. i wonder if i ever dreamt london? but i dreamt england and ireland.

rationalista you'll never be a jobless person. i was inspired to write this poem after reading about your accomplishments, stick with the boy...

extreeeme poetry for the fresno bee

what fresno
install dashboard make new jetta
install upholstery
bitch upholstery install hurt hand but install mirrors
bitch dashboard
haha 35 mpg
that was before
rational typology irrational packaging
good packaging hurt hand
get paid job get paid sting/stint
gun it
bitch green fresno
right on
highway 99
left on visalia
to install the yokutmen

Aug 27, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's like a miracle: my husband and I actually went to a movie today because grandma was in town to watch the child! I can't remember the last time we actually went to a theater!

Sorry DubK I did not opt for Snakes on a Plane, decided to wait for video for what sounds like a fun but ultimately one-liner movie. We went to Little Miss Sunshine which was beautiful and funny - though I basically started crying ten seconds in and never stopped! I'm such a sap.

I was pleasantly surprised that people actually clapped after the movie ended - is this a people-are-so-nice-in-the-midwest thing, or are other audiences applauding films these days?

Man I'm tired. Lovely poem, abra.

Aug 27, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

in LA i've seen clapping many times in a theater. there's also a greater number of people who stay and watch credits. i think it's because more people are involved in the industry and there's a certain amount of respect paid to those credited...

Aug 28, 06 2:39 am  · 
 · 

no new pix yet acfa. some time during the hallucination that was the last month, i know i registered for flickr and put some pix up, but now i can't figure out what my login/password were. i requested that it be sent to me, the request was confirmed, but then nothing. ah well.

a real movie, lb? someday. last movie we saw was ice age 2. hell, we can't even find the television.

Aug 28, 06 7:42 am  · 
 · 
AP

lb, my girlfriend went to see Little Miss Sunshine this past Friday [and loved it]. She reported not having laughed that much at a movie in a long time, and audience clapping at the end.

good luck with the move in Steven. forget the TV....

good morning east coast archinect.

Aug 28, 06 8:59 am  · 
 · 

wow! I'm honored to be the recipient of my very own vado poem.

The last movie I saw in the theater was.... oh, I did go to see Pirates of the Carribean 2. I guess that was only a few months ago.

Aug 28, 06 10:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i dint write no poem. i clap during the movie.

Aug 28, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

when not talking on my cell phone

Aug 28, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 

ack! I am an ungrateful, horrible person apparently. I should have said, "I'm honored to be the recipient of my very own abra poem". I'm always too lazy to go to the previous page and double check things...

Aug 28, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 

hey r, no worries. i like the fresno connection.
i lived in sacramento 'h' street, when i first moved to california. i drove up and down central valley on 99. i even saw ceasar chavez speak for the olive pickers.

Aug 28, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: