Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt

Awwww LB - one day at a time my dear. Everything has a way of sorting itself out.

Jan 20, 09 8:24 am  · 
 · 

thats a lot to think about LB. am sure it all works out in the end though. it always does.

had to think what roots meant for a minute there. guys have it easier cuz grey adds gravitas...or at least i prefer to think so. although last year a student suggested i was coloring my hair because there was more grey in my beard than on my head, and the bits that weren't grey were different shades of brown...i wasn't offended though cuz at least i still have hair on my head and because he is japanese by the time he is my age he will probably be bald and won't admit it. but i didn't say that because i was aiming for that whole gravitas thing. and also cuz i didn't know how to say comb-over in japanese.

its already wednesday here so i will wish yall a happy obama-nation for i head to bed.

Jan 20, 09 9:43 am  · 
 · 
n_

I've already cried twice this morning watching Obama montages on NBC.

Jan 20, 09 10:06 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

stupidest obama coverage comment so far:

brian williams- "lets' go to anne curry. the last time we spoke to ann she was dancing to otis may and the knights."

ah first it was the isley brothers and second its otis day and the knights. hit it.

Jan 20, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 
n_

Update: another cry.

This time it was a CNN montage.

Jan 20, 09 10:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks for virtual support, everyone. About every six months I have these nights that my mind races over all these terrible topics and I don't get any sleep. Luckily I was able to sleep in this morning while husband got Angus on the schoolbus. Still, between lack of sleep and Inauguration-o-Mania I am not getting much done today!

Jan 20, 09 11:24 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i;ve only cried once. yes it was about michelle's dress.

Jan 20, 09 11:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

vice president strangelove has arrived!

Jan 20, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, I've never heard Obama slip up before, he must be nervous. Even I memorised my vows before my big day.

Jan 20, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

first obama tc post is mine!

Jan 20, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

John Roberts is the one who fucked up the oath, and Obama knew it.

Jan 20, 09 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You think? How can you know that?

Jan 20, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, sorry LIG, Yahoo news said so. Strange. Poor guy.

Jan 20, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hey, now I wonder...

If Obama had said the Oath incorrectly, could he be called on a technicality?

Jan 20, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I watched the oath, and I swear I thought Obama was just choked up. I sure as hell would have been!

Jan 20, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Sabotage!

Jan 20, 09 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Anyone else watching CNN's coverage? What is up with all the background/side conversations.

Jan 20, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, in addition to the spoken oath, Obama just signed a bunch of papers making it official. If some wingnut tried to make an issue of Roberts' flub in court, I'm guessing it's Obama's signature on the written version that would be legally binding, and the case would get thrown out within five minutes.

Jan 20, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

As per the Constitution, Obama technically became the President at 12 noon EST, with or without the oath. It was just a formality.

That said, Happy Inauguration Day everyone! Yay for PRESIDENT Obama! Wow!

Jan 20, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

True, although the oath as written is mandated by the Constitution. Everything else is gravy. No matter... It's a beautiful day in America.

You know that immense feeling of relief when you take a huge dump in the morning after waking up? That's what America feels like today.

Jan 20, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Damn, Jean Nouvel stole Per's idea....I know he did and damn if he didn't put in Per's Backyard:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/arts/design/20hall.html?_r=1

Jan 20, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Ed Kennedy has collapsed

Jan 20, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You know I love you guys, and think architects are just the best people to hang out with, but I don't think we even approach the level of humor and self-deprecating wackiness of these guys, members of the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists.

This website cracks me up.

Jan 20, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

So one of my friends and former roommates got laid off today. Some of you might remember him as "SuperBeatleDud". He's in San Fran and he works for one of the Big Ones ... he got laid off right after the Inauguration. I guess the carnage isn't over yet. :o(

Jan 20, 09 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I didn't get a promise of payment from my soon to be x-client....so the carnage is not over.

Jan 20, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

That sucks, dubbers. I'm sure the lay-off was pre-meditated, though. Seems strange to lay people off during the week, though. I don't get it. Then again, my boss was out of town when I got laid off. Pansy.

Jan 20, 09 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I remember SBD, Sorry to hear that, dubk.

Jan 20, 09 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Eek - I have san fran on my horizon...wondering how well thats going to go...

Jan 20, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just got an old school straight razor shave man it was awesome.

Jan 20, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Rumor is strong that Michelle Obama's ball gown will be purple.

Just had lots of champagne with friends, watched the end of the parade (the lunar rover was awesome!) and re-watching the inauguration speech. I'm a happy woman tonight!

Jan 20, 09 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

lb, this is what you were having:

Racing Thoughts Jasper Johns

i used to have nights where i would get them, but not for a few years now...

Jan 20, 09 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i must pass on the kudos to Steven Ward and LB, they have made me a full fledged AIA defender. the features piece this month has a comment that, yet again, seems to "misunderestimate" the AIA's mission and membership...

i get the sense that the uninitiated think we are on a Kamikaze mission......

Jan 20, 09 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Dear goodness ... Well SBD worked at a firm that starts with a G and ends with an "ensler" and they laid 40 people off today. They did at least get severance. Still - 40 people! God help us.

Jan 20, 09 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Emilio - what's your secret? Many a night I lay awake with racing thoughts.

LB - looks like she's wearing (wore) a beautiful white gown to the neighborhood ball, as shown on NYT

Jan 20, 09 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

fantastic gown! whimsical!

Jan 20, 09 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

my wife was gushing over the dress. immediately had to call her sister to share. blah blah blah.

i sat very quietly watching the obamas and realized that these two were the nerds when they were younger. i mean, did you see them dance?! this is also a victory for nerds and geeks.

Jan 20, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

A problem of a different sort, WWTCD? We are a branch office that seriously lacks leadership. The boss is never there, has no basis in reality, and thinks management thingys (like designating project managers, scheduling vacation time, implementing quality control, etc is for squares). He cannot, and does not answer questions, nor does he provide feedback or set expectations. He wants to be project manager on every project, but doens't manage any aspect of the project except maybe the billing, we just usually draw on top of each other, making it up as we go and leaving plenty of gaps. He does not review drawings, just lifts up the corner enough to stamp them. (QC is for squares.) His standards are incredibly low.

I'm sure he doesn't know this, but I have been a surrogate leader as much as I can, everyone comes to me when they have questions and concerns (and have been for about 2 years), and they don't go to him, because he cannot and will not solve problems, nor think thru any problem, architectural or other. They don't even call him if going to be late, they call me.

Now that we really have NO work and very idle hands, the rest of the staff wants to confront him on not providing this leadership. They want to prepare a statement to him, from us as a group. I have a feeling they will do this whether I give my blessing or not. Another option would be to contact a principal in the main office and let them in on what is going on here - seems like this could backfire and we could sound like a bunch of whiney kids, or worse yet they might agree with us that we are a lousy excuse for an office and close our doors.

Personally, I think we need to sit tight, and keep doing the best job we can do, and hold on to our jobs as long as we can (don't stick out our necks). Any thoughts?

Jan 20, 09 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Love the dress, but holy crap, Obama in white tie...swooooon!

Jan 20, 09 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

UGH!

Jan 20, 09 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

One thing I like the most is that Obama has the greatest smile. He smiles with his eyes. Love it.! Okay, I'll shut up now.

Jan 20, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey paul when are we havin an archinect ball?

Jan 20, 09 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

You Obama freaks. I do like having a smart person in office, finally, but it's still a broken government.

Jan 20, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Strawbeary, no offense, but haven't you had this problem in your office for a very long time? So this isn't news, right? And SuperBeatleDud just lost his job today....after beta lost his, and Sarah lost hers, and several others that post on here as well....all I'm saying is, instead of worrying about what kind of leadership you may or may not have in your office, maybe your entire office of people (with idle hands) should "stick out their necks" to start looking for work. I.e., maybe brush up on your marketing, or look into bidding on projects, etc. I'm not trying to be flippant, I'm just saying....it's a whole new landscape out there. I can't imagine how your office will exist for much longer if you can't get work. The carnage is NOT over yet.

Jan 20, 09 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

SuperBeatleDud I've been wondering if you were alive. Sorry about loosing your job but as I've been saying to others it only makes you available for the really amazing job making its way around the corner.

Strawbeary hold tight for now, I think your instincts are cue. Identify what it may be but as Wonder K says it may really time to look at how you can walk away from it, sharpen those pencils it could all be for some magical reason the universe has yet to reveal.

Congratulations Obamericans
its great to be brown and can stick around

Jan 20, 09 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm white and i'm feelin alright...

Jan 21, 09 12:19 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm not a red man but I still want to get ahead, man!

That dude was great :o)

Jan 21, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Also I pray that I look half as good as Jill Biden when I am 57 years old, but don't hold any high hopes. Seriously, is she cute or what? I'm frankly a little jealous at how well she wears those boots, and how great she looks in red.

Jan 21, 09 1:46 am  · 
 · 

it's a day to celebrate, strawbeary, and there aren't all that many of those lately. i don't think you have to be an obama freak to be impressed by the pomp and circumstance of the day. an inauguration is an exciting occasion.

overlooked a little in most discussions i've seen/heard were ms feinstein's comments about the peaceful transition of power that is a hallmark of our democracy.

it's ok to be inspired every once in a while. i'm just hoping that this change will give us MORE opportunities for it.

-

oh, and, after years of really disliking her music and wondering what all of the fuss was about, i have to say that beyonce OWNED 'at last' last night. it was a beautiful performance. she needs to cut out all that crap she usually does and just really sing more often.

Jan 21, 09 8:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

steven, i thought a lot about Feinstein's remarks regarding the transition of power, and it is quite remarkable how much we take that for granted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

it's funny i was not able to do the day of volunteering on monday, but i am doing the Search For Shelter event in minneaple this weekend, pro-bono design for like 15 hrs, i get AIA/CES credits, does this count as volunteering?

even at that, i still don't think i do enough.

Jan 21, 09 8:21 am  · 
 · 

Morning all,
I am freezing in Florida this morning. It is only in the low 20s but for us (especially considering it was in the 80s a feww days ago) that is very cold. It is suppose to be in the teens tonight.

Beary, I agree that as WK and others have suggested perhaps it is time to try upping the marketing, getting new clients etc.

SBD,
Sucks. Hopefully it is for the better.

Jan 21, 09 8:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: