Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt

Funnels cloud sightings on Ohio/Indianastan border but no reported damage. We're still getting hit this morning. You'd think this was monsoon season or something.

I agree jump and DubK. Only time will tell if she plays nice. For the sake of the party, I think she should, but I'm not holding my breath. I've heard of some Hillary supporters now saying they are staying home on election day. Nice... sore losers suck all around.

Jun 4, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Got my new mac! Am posting on it right now! Luckily it survived the storms last night. Storms that I witnessed closely, BTW, as I was awake working til 3am on a little kitchen remodel project with which I'm somewhat obsessed. Now I'm going to be too tired to speak articulately about the design at my 10am meeting!

hi puddles.

Jun 4, 08 8:16 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

TK, Steven is cute. I hope he is as well behaved as Abram. I may complain a lot, but I know how lucky I am.

Glad everyone weathered the storms ok. We have been having crazy winds here, like AZ style winds, and thats kinda strange.

LB, what kind of camp is it that you put Angus in?

And, does anybody know lots about gardenias? Mamma gave me one for MD, and I've been keeping it in the house, but I'd like to plant it outside. And advice? Maybe I should put this on a plant thread...

Jun 4, 08 8:54 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta-
were you at the big obama speech last night? i was looking for your face in the tv crowd...

sarah - I don't do ornamentals, so try the plant thread. we'll see what SS becomes, but thanks.

Jun 4, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

My sister, who is a student at the Uni of Minn was at Obama's speech last night. She got there at 3:00pm and got a seat about 15 yards from the podium. Apparently the atmosphere was beyond insane.
She also mentioned that apparently by the time the doors opened around 7pm, it was a 30 min walk from the front of the line to the back.

Jun 4, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i totally hijacked the yawn!!!!! thread...boom

Jun 4, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

puds- I like what you did with the yawn, so is it really a hijacking if the victim goes willingly?

Jun 4, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i was there last night. it was impressive. the only thing i wished i had thought of though was that i should have invested in the t-shirt industry.

Jun 4, 08 11:12 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

liberty bell - yay for you and your new Mac! That IS exciting....

And beta, well done on representing us there in St. Paul.

Jun 4, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta-

how do I get an obama yard sign?

Jun 4, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i don't know treekiller...i kind of prefer thinking that i did something outrageous and edgy

but maybe that's not appropriate for yawn!!!!!

Jun 4, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

puddles- I'll play along then just to give you the satisfaction.

Damn you for waking up my sleep discussion thread!!!!!!!

Jun 4, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

damn the day after yesterday and TC is as quiet as a mouse. I better get this party started right - forgive me its the remake.

I blame the silence on TC on the following two things this - particularly with LB, Wonder K and the other mac users. And because of this guy

Jun 4, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Sorry, Techno, I got caught up reading a real-life love story on thepioneerwoman.com -its a cooking blog.

Jun 4, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm playing golf again this sunday so i'm been shopping for golf clothing...the knicker packages are nice but i'd like something a little more lily pulitzer-ish...if you know what i mean

Jun 4, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

I'm having really bad acid reflux...this is odd, it rarely affects me. But it typically affects the missus. She's not here - show of hands who think this is my body reacting to her missing presence.

Jun 4, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

puddles - I have a set of clubs I'm not using. Come by and pick um up.

another daft attempt to meet mr. puddles

Jun 4, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I think you're pregnant!

Jun 4, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

I'm going to the AIA LA Awards tonight at LACMA as a guest of the chapter, since I am a (non-voting) member of the Board (I guess). Trouble is I realized about 30 minutes ago that while I have a dress for this occasion, I don't really have appropriate accessories. I'll see what I can put together and update you guys later on. Also, although I cannot exactly live-blog the awards ceremony, I'll keep you posted on any "celebrity" sightings ;o)

Jun 4, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Knock'em out, Emily! Your million watt smile is your best accessory.

techno, sorry for the quiet, been a busy busy day. I agree with Sarah, you must be pregnant!

Jun 4, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

borrow the garwondler :P trunk!!!

Jun 4, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Glad to see you're still alive, vado!

Jun 4, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

barely...still at the office for the immedieate future. went home briefly after the sirens went off fed kitty and called exgf/fw for a bit. streaming whyy lb so you should be happy!!!

Jun 4, 08 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

nope I'm not pregnant. Apparently it was the eggshells I was feeling. Not real ones but the ones we were seemingly walking on as we got letters informing us that the CEO had been axed. It was a weird day to say the least.

Anyhow its day 3 that I've had crap for dinner - its just not the same when there isn't someone else to cook/eat for/with <- i forgot what single life was like.

And I just loads of excitement as the neighbours' daughter was playing in the pool. I say neighbour but they are in the ghuat across from me and the sound travelled. But I felt so sad and old, listening to damn racket - dreaming I was a tadpole again.

Jun 4, 08 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Er, is it just me, or has someone been fumbling with the format of the page links here on TC? Last time I clicked I could have sworn that pages 213-215 were in line with the last several pages, but I could just be seeing things I suppose.....

Back from the AIA Awards. No celebrity sightings, per se, but 2/3 of the Garwondler was there! If only mdler had shown up, we could have performed some party tricks :o)

Jun 5, 08 1:31 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Egads Atechno - my stomach would definitely be upset by that news too.

There were crazy ass storms here again yesterday evening. Trees are down and power is out in some areas. My power flickered on and off for a bit, but in the end nothing happened. Time to get back to the grinding stone. Carry on, carry on.

Jun 5, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

David Sedaris in Bon Appetit magazine:

The restaurant boasts a tail-to-snout menu, and though some of it's a little too spooky for me, I love the bone marrow appetizer. It looks so stark and architectural on the plate - a miniature Stonehenge served with a long spoon.

Everything about this quote delights me. Happy Thursday everyone!

Jun 5, 08 9:02 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - He was on the Daily Show the other night talking about his new book. Can't remember the title of it, but the interview was funny as they were talking about how he quit smoking. Did you see it?

Jun 5, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

good morning tc - I am awake!

my favorite description of an archinectress to date:

mightylittle:EK - Are you made out of time? on the
LILAWAC thread

Jun 5, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 

Good morning all,
I just had a ergonomic review of my workspace. Yeah for Facilities management!
Apparently i was doing most everything right..
Yeah for me!

Jun 5, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 

hi all just had a meeting about our new town, new port and expected tourist arrivals. Yeah seems like we were doing things right, too nam!

I have a serious post to make on that LILAWAC thread

Jun 5, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

interesting day in the office (not including the possibility of a tornado wiping minneapolis off the map later today - the sky is turning green). I was asked to become an 'expert' in anti-terrorism/force protection design.

Jun 5, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

TK, aren't you a landscape architect? Would anti-terrorism/force protection include hidden booby-traps and pits?

Jun 5, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

sarah- I'm taking my final LARE section monday, and then will start my AREs in the fall... so technically, no, I am not a landscape architect, yet.

I'm partial to man-eating plants. Anybody know what species seymour was and where I can source them?

Jun 5, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

TK - I think you should design a moat too. With some really mean crocodiles. Or hey, maybe just grow some of that toxic algae stuff. That'll work right?

Jun 5, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

that green algae stuff will be the salvation of the human race's addiction to fossil fuels. A pit of vipers like in indiana jones might be more fun...

I'm feeling rather jackbooted and jingoistic after browsing all those DoD and Homeland Security websites...

Jun 5, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

feed me seymor!!

Jun 5, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

just design a lot of hahas...that is what the world needs more of...hahas

Jun 5, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

What a jaunty bunch we are today. I just got done reading about the two guys who scaled the NYTimes building. My two student coworkers and I were trying to figure out what constituted the "making graffiti" part of reckless endangerment, making grafitti, criminal trespassing and disorderly conduct when one of them says, "maybe he pooped on the building". I've been laughing ever since.

Also my poor computer suffered a setback in its recovery....the screen seems to be suffering from a short in the backlight. So it is back in the shop and I am without it again tonight :o(

Jun 5, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well CRAP. I just called the computer people and they had to order another part! Which means that best case scenario, it will be done tomorrow afternoon, which is when I'm supposed to be at my BFF's graduation. Jesus christ! This is annoying.

Sorry. Just had to vent. No computer, no Archinect, sad WonderK :o(

Jun 5, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

well we'll send our love now dubK until you can get back here. Enjoy the graduation.

Jun 5, 08 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

TK.
Goodluck with that!
I suppose that includes; setbacks, shatterproof glass, etc?

Jun 5, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, Nam. You're no fun.

Jun 6, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

it definitely includes sharks. maybe some monster cockroaches, too--mothra style.

in other news : life is good again. i'm working on a project that is finally, finally, after many false starts, going well, and it promises to be a good one. i'm pretty psyched.

maybe this will finally be the project i architecturally "out" myself on archinect on! ...not for at least another 6 months though, so don't get your hopes up.

Jun 6, 08 9:03 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

just sharks? or sharks with lasers?
Nam, think outside the box on this one - I need all the help I can get to make it through this assignment...

the weather news is that I wasn't transported to Oz last night, though folks further south did have that opportunity.

Jun 6, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

hello all...i am still living

Jun 6, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

tk: how about poison ivy? A thick field of it. And badgers to populate the field.

Jun 6, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

stinging nettles have a more immediate physical impact. I'm sure there are some rain forest plants with really potent poison thorns we can plant in greenhouses too.

Jun 6, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 
****melt

You could get a whole bunch of black locust trees and plant them REALLY close together. Aren't those the ones with like the 12" thorns?

How 'bout some electrifid barbed wire, like the stuff they use for cattle or something similar, only dial up the amperage.

Jun 6, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Osage Orange has thorns like that too. and there are some cool african trees with massive prickers too.

were you thinking about the jurassic park fence?

we just found out that the proposal is dead - yeay! no more security research for tk... hummm, now I have nothing to work on. that means....

more archinect!

Jun 6, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: