Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

Ether, what is that?

Jun 12, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

ether, your news item has been promoted to main stage.

And wait a second....no offense, but Philarch and Philarct are two different people?!? I hadn't even noticed. I was tripped up at that "Phil" part. I think I've seen pictures of Philarct but not Philarch. Are you both named Phil? Or are you just Phil Collins fans? :o)

Jun 12, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

Sarah
itd be awesome to have a twin separated at
birth and then find him years after thinking
that you were the only one, but afraid this isnt
the case

WonderK
names Philip, but everyone calls me Phil,
Phil collins is cool, thats why i let him share my nickname

whats for lunch today?

Jun 12, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

String cheese, smoked turkey slices with mustard, a nectarine and some bing cherries. Oh and some water to wash it all down. Exciting isn't it?

Jun 12, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Somebody please let me know if there are any additional ways I can fuck up the project that I haven't tried yet.

Jun 12, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

LiG- maybe work in metric only on odd numbered floors?

Jun 12, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

FRO - That's awesome

LIG - Is it an existing building? You could always shift the column grids in random directions, and if it encompasses several floors, make sure they don't match up... at all.

Jun 12, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Or FORCE ALL your dimensions, so that they actually don't work, at all.

Jun 12, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Ah, actually my name isn't Phil. Far from it actually as some may know. Its from Philadelphia and I first created as a response to a local thing and just kept it. Maybe I should change it since my name isn't Phil, but I have no idea to what.

Jun 12, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Or, maybe, you could go with one of your other identities, and retire this one. Maybe.

Jun 12, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Actually, I think I'm doing a pretty damn good on the project itself, and our client has even said so on repeated occasions. It's my anal-retentive PM who can't let five minutes go by without finding fault with something I do. One minute I'm using a placeholder text he doesn't like, another minute it's my fault that a product rep hasn't returned my calls, another minute it's because he looked over my shoulder and caught me checking my personal email, another minute it's because we had to work a couple hours late one night (gasp!) to meet a deadline. If I single-handedly found a cure for cancer, he'd fault me for not using the correct font in my documentation. I'm fucking sick of it, and it's shit like this that makes me want to start getting my resume updated. [/rant]

Jun 12, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Nothing is more annoying than having your PM be a micro-manager. That sucks LIG, just hang in there.

Jun 12, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

LiG-
turn off the snaps in cad and delete random sections of the specs (or just renumber them)

Jun 12, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

i commented on ether's link not knowing what it really is for. you'll know what i mean if you go back and click. ..... nevermind.

Jun 12, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

ohhh Philarch, that's awesome! My dad and I used to play duets when I was little: he on tenor, me on alto. *sniff* I might be saving up that idea for a future father's day.

Jun 12, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Keep in mind there is an architphil around here too, Philarch and Philarct. I love you all three!

LiG, your post made me laugh (the one about fucking up the project - the word "fuck" is working for me today; it suits my mood).

For lunch I'm having that teetery-tottery toppling over mushroom at the bottom of TC....maybe I'll hallucinate some good designs!

Jun 12, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orhan: I know what you mean. I guess 1969 is the earliest date allowed for archinecters?

Jun 12, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So I get all packed up, shut down, sunglasses on, and keys in hand, when I find out that the Convention I was scheduled to go to is over. I was told to go this afternoon.

I feel deflated.

Jun 12, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

pork and chicken fried rice for lunch

like rationalist my dad is in another country, so for Father's day I'm going to visit him. I haven't seen him for a year I really miss him. He's not into tools, I don't know if he could even operate one - he'd say, "there always someone looking for a job, they can make it - i'll pay for it"

Jun 12, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I just returned from a meeting of the State Historical Commission and the son of Elliot Noyes was there. He is trying to get the Number 2 Noyes house on the State Historical Register and the National Register. It was a very thoughtful presentation he gave.

Jun 12, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Cool, snook. I hope he succeeds.

Dessert: cherry jello. Yummy and refreshing.

Jun 12, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

rationalist - Cool! My father actually wanted to learn sax so he took my old vintage tenor sax (I think from 1920's?!) and bought me a new one for my graduation. I kinda miss the old sax smell and vintage sound. Duets on saxes are the best.

Jun 12, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

very saxy on TC today. I have a 1924 Conn alto that doesn't get played enough.

Jun 12, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

Fro are you willing to sell it? is it in good condition?

for lunch - 2 hotdogs (with the bun) ketchup, and little hot sauce
and 2 bottles of water

My favorite song to play on my sax was the pink panther theme,
i used to sneak around the house and play it, good times

Sorry to hear about your deflation Sarah

Jun 12, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'm rocking a Buescher... no idea how old it is, except that it was passed from my grandfather, to my father, to me, so it's either one of the early Buescher 400's, or earlier. Based on the (in)ability of other people to play it, I'm guessing it's the older model.

Jun 12, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

I don't play any musical instruments. I'm disappointed by this. It was not because I didn't want to, but when I entered the school of the arts when i was about 5 they pushed my artistic talents with the pencil/paints because of my natural pre-disposition versus making me well rounded.

I eventually rounded out though but that's a different story.

To this day unless something has a design or visually artistic element to it I find myself quickly bored with it. I think they have to invent an AADDHD (ie. just for architects)

Jun 12, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

well, here's how we know that gas prices are getting to people: when they steal your credit card number, they no longer use it to buy electronics, they use it to buy gas.

That's right folks, someone in Jamaica, New York used my debit card to buy $200.00 worth of gas!!! My bank is being really nice about it (given that I'm across the country and all), but man what a pain.

Jun 12, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Philarct- it's in pretty good shape, some of the pads are leaky and could stand to be replaced, but no I don't want to sell it. I just want to play it more!

I got an email from a 'nector! but I unfortunately could not help....

Jun 12, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

no problem Fro, i wanna play more too, but im not exactly mister money these days, so im looking at buying this yamaha
i found at a pawn shop a couple days ago.

Jun 12, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

either (or both) 'harlem nocturne' or 'sophisticated lady' are great sax songs. i used to play mine along with the viscounts lp that i still have but hardly ever pull out anymore.

- philarsteven

Jun 12, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

steven your sign off is philarious.

Jun 12, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

3...2...1...I'm on vacation.

Yup that's right I'm on vacation. I'll gone from work and hope its there when i get back. It'll be almost 6 weeks - loads to get done in that time, but mostly I'll be watching grass grow.

I'll also be going to Canada any 'necteurs there?

Jun 12, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you learn to work the saxophone. i'll just drink scotch whiskey all night long...

Jun 12, 08 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

whew, nearly avoided this today - Anaphylactic Shock - when you get an IV Contrast and they pump you with iodine, boy that almost got interesting....

Jun 12, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
beta

---> holy crap! are you OK? What are you allergic to?

I think that Philarch, Philarct, and architphil should get together and make a design firm called PHIL. If you invite architechno(phil)ia into the fold for your "Caribbean office", you would have yourself a nice partnership there.

If you need a west coast delegation, let me know.

-WonderPhil*

(*totally stole the idea from the brilliant philarsteven)

Jun 12, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

philank you philly mulch.

Jun 12, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

wow. in one 45 minute drive today i passed from $3.98/gal to $4.16/gal. and it totally changed from mile to mile. crazy.

Jun 12, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm bored...i need fingernails to grow faster so that i have something to do...

Jun 12, 08 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Careful out there, beta.

Jun 12, 08 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Geez beta are you okay? Seriously, anaphylactic shock is some pretty damn scary stuff. I hope everything is okay.

I'm loving the phil conversation and agree with WonderK that you guys need to open a firm together.

Anyway, I've concluded that if I could I'd like to redo this week all over again. My brain has been so scattered this week that I fear my presentation tomorrow might suffer b/c of it. Anyway, I'm SO tired at the moment that I can barely keep my eyes open. Yawn...

Jun 12, 08 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Go to bed, tuna, and rest up for tomorrow!

Jun 12, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

see you guys in a few days - fly out to Antigua then Jamaica tomorrow

I'm open to run phil from here!

Jun 12, 08 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

anyone else watching swingtown...of course you are you sexy minxes

Jun 12, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Wonderk K,
What about Phil Cubed/3rd?

Archi,
I might be in Canada by next year. For now i am in Florida would be great to meet you.

6 weeks?

Jun 12, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

eh, it was related to a CT exam for the kidney donation eval.

Jun 13, 08 6:30 am  · 
 · 

wow, beta. scary.

today i handed in first official version of dissertation. defence next month then lots of changes i am sure...but am actually entering the last bit of phd-ing. just in time too. soo many archi-things i wanna be doing outside academia...at least for awhile.

i don't know what i was doing in december 69 either...though i was alive by then.

Jun 13, 08 7:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, fantastic jump!! Getting close! We're all looking forward to calling you Dr. jumo.

Jun 13, 08 7:10 am  · 
 · 

i have a picture of myself from dec 69. actually i'm not sure if the picture is of me, really. 21mo old me is big, centered, and in the foreground, walking toward the camera in my winter coverall suit.

but my mother's blue mustang convertible in the background is actually the only thing in focus. hm.

Jun 13, 08 7:11 am  · 
 · 

dr jumo? i like it.

Jun 13, 08 7:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops. l-m-n-o-p

Jun 13, 08 7:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: