Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

thats me on the right, wondering where MY shoulder rub is at...:(

Jan 11, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

The Bush-Merkel incident is logged in my memory as one of the creepiest "bad president" moments in my lifetime.

I passed Cameron's job openings for AFH onto a bunch of people I know and told them to contact me with questions if they wanted. I hope someone I know applies for one of the jobs....I would myself if I didn't have another 18 months of grad school!

Jan 11, 08 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've had a couple bourbons and a lovely art-centered conversation with a friend over dinner tonight.

Here is a good story, from "Zen Shorts" by John J. Muth:

Two traveling monks reached a town where there was a young woman waiting to step out of her sedan chair. The rains had made deep puddles and she couldn’t step across without spoiling her silken robes. She stood there, looking very cross and impatient. She was scolding her attendants. They had nowhere to place the packages they held for her, so they couldn’t help her across the puddle.

The younger monk noticed the woman, said nothing, and walked by. The older monk quickly picked her up and put her on his back, transported her across the water, and put her down on the other side. She didn’t thank the older monk, she just shoved him out of the way and departed.

As they continued on their way, the young monk was brooding and preoccupied. After several hours, unable to hold his silence, he spoke out. “That woman back there was very selfish and rude, but you picked her up on your back and carried her! Then she didn’t even thank you!”

“I set the woman down hours ago,” the older monk replied. “Why are you still carrying her?”

This is going to be my attitude towards the shoulder rub AND the making someone cry. Sorry to clog up TC with my little dramas. You guys are all wonderful, and if something as magical as a meet-up at architechno's beautiful house ever did actually happen I am certain it would be, well, magical.

Jan 11, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i've always been grateful for the emotional intelligence of zen monks

Jan 12, 08 8:49 am  · 
 · 
aml

hey, regarding bush incidents. this is weird. it's been published here in south america but i can't find on the web. here's the link to the spanish newspaper, el pais, that originated the item:

rice tells bush to shut his mouth

Jan 12, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

aml, I'm trying to learn spanish but I can only understand every 4th word or so. (and that's the really small ones like "de" and "Y"). What does it says, generally?

Jan 12, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

omg, the backrub thing worked its way into a dream last night... in my dream, a bunch of people were at a place we go pretty frequently, and the waiter whom we all know and like started giving me a backrub, but then he touched my boob! When I complained, everyone got mad at me because they all like the guy so much. What a strange, strange dream, that I have no other explanation for besides this backrub discussion on TC.

Jan 12, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
n_

This is my favorite (and most important, memorable) part of the article:

En ese instante, cuando Bush defendía apasionadamente a Olmert, Rice le envió la nota. Se hizo el silencio. Bush la leyó. Y comentó: "Me ha dicho que me calle, que cierre la boca".

At that moment, when Bush passionately defended Olmert, Rice sent him a note. There was silence as Bush read the note. He said: "It says to be quiet, to shut my mouth."

Jan 12, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Oh yea, is anyone's gmail acting up? The gmail website hasn't been able to load onto any computer for me. I have no other problems with other website, just gmail. It's been like this for a few days and it's quite perplexing.

Jan 12, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
aml

oops, just checked back again, but n_ took care of things. i'll only add that the title translates to:

rice to bush: "shut your mouth"

read my 2nd link [in english] for more of what bush was saying about karate chops, etc.

what i find very intriguing about the whole thing is how it has apparently been hushed up for english publications. nothing appears on a google news search.

my gmail is acting up also ...

Jan 12, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

gmail is all good here.

and it's strange how the bush story seems to be completely unpublished...
did he really read that note outloud?

Jan 12, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my spanish...

necessito una cerveza despuis travajo

tu eres muy bonita

donde esta el martillo?

mi amor, lle llegue!

Jan 12, 08 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
aml

i don't know if the story is true or not, but its weird.

here's another story of condi damage control in this trip, although not as big as the previous one:

bush says, "we should have bombed auschwitz"

Jan 12, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Way to go George! Would you like some ketchup or A-1 steak sauce to go with your foot?

Jan 12, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

My Gmail is fine. If it were acting up that badly I think I would have started a petition for you all to sign by now!

Isn't the last year of your presidency that time when you're supposed to do things you really want to do, like give a bunch of benefits to charities and actually pass legislation that makes sense? Not embarrass the country in every international scene possible? Le sigh. 374 days.....

Jan 12, 08 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

...and not a minute too soon.

Jan 12, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

LB- that zen monk story is great, feels very applicable to my life.

I almost died snowboarding today. mayyyybe not, but it sure felt like it. it occurred to me that while I was scared, at least I would die happy. Time to rest a day and get my legs back. Anyone else getting TONS of snow?? Apparently we've had 18 feet so far this year with more on the way....

I'm off for the best, New Yorkest pizza in Colorado and a lion's share of tequila, have a great evening!

Jan 12, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Is it some sort of taboo for a library to own some Nietzsche? I've got a philosophy craving, and can find my fill of Sartre, but there's nary a Nietzsche in sight...this is frustrating to me. He may not have been a great guy, but he's kind of one of the basics.

Jan 13, 08 2:42 am  · 
 · 
some person

well played, tunamelt. Now the Google ad on the top of the page is for Heinz Ketchup...

Jan 13, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

pet irony...

so this morning i am in the process of steam cleaning some carpet. i got up made some coffee and moved all my furniture etc...then i took a shower before heading out to rent the steam cleaner. when i get out i find that my cat has hurled right in the middle of the carpet! as if it was a cryptic warning. steamclean hah. here's what i think of yhour steamclean.

Jan 13, 08 10:13 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LOL! vado your story had me laughing hysterically as I can totally picture my white and black cat doing the same exact thing.

Jan 13, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

My cat currently has nowhere to hang out. My closet shelving collapsed last night - catastrophically I might add - so the closet is off limits and my floor is now filled with boxes.

I must now go in search of brunch. Ta.

Jan 13, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

I have always loved that particular Zen story..

It really shows you the importance of living in the moment and not holding on to things, (imho)

I always taught the shoulder rub combined with the drinking session at the G8 with Putin and Sarkozy were two of the most un-presidential moments in a long line of Bush II history.

Did everyone see this image (from the gallery) posted here
??

Jan 13, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
aml

cool image, had never seen a shackscraper- thanks for pointing it out!

Jan 13, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

I'm still alive

Jan 13, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

liberty, there's this one property manager at one of my job sites who is super creepy like that. lots of inappropriate hugs and super awkward moments and conversations... for all that i'm a super touchy-feely person, even *i* can recognize the moments when it's appropriate and the moments when it is not!

Jan 13, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i was inappropriately shoulder rubbed by a zen monk and i CANNOT let it go.

Jan 13, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

is all of indianapolis in mourning vado?

Jan 13, 08 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the flags are at half staff, most def...

Jan 13, 08 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I have this kinda creepy co-worker. At the Xmas party he came without his wife (his son had just had dental work earlier in the day) and got drunk. At one point in the evening I was standing there talking to a couple of other people and at first he stroked my arm with his finger (no one saw this) and then he put his arm around me. Later in the evening he touched my knee too. As I'm not a touchy feely person I thought I was probably over senistive about the whole situation. It turns out the people I was talking to when the whole arm thing occured were kinda creeped out about it too. Creepy co-workers suck.

Jan 13, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i've been loaned this book

anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Jan 13, 08 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i havent read it. but, if it shaped the policies of the assoholic reagan and thatcher ideologies than by all means burn it.

Jan 13, 08 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
summary in cartoon format

here

hayek was an important thinker. in some ways extreme, but there is some truth to what he wrote about. if you are into paranoid critical writing (like rem is so good at) his stuff is kinda in that realm.

totally unrelated, but i was recently given this dining set cuz the former owners moved to a smaller home than they had been living in...

how lucky can a person be? this is one of those times when architects purr. ;-)

Jan 13, 08 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

good catch. did they move into a closet?

Jan 13, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

not quite, vado. but much smaller than their old place. 250m2 to 80m2. my flat is the same 80 m2, but i gots more open space cuz its all on one floor (stairs take up a LOT of space in a house). the set is 20 years old but in very nice condition...i think the real reason they gave it up is they just wanted to get something new...but i'm still quite happy to be lucky recipient.

Jan 14, 08 8:01 am  · 
 · 

great acquistion jump....I wouldn't mind that set in my house versus the faux wooden ones I'm inheriting. Speaking of which I have to do an inventory of the things inside my house - they include a car circa 1982 parked/fixed in the garage. Its one of those "as is" scenarios...funny

Jan 14, 08 9:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

LB our picture was in the paper yesterday!

Jan 14, 08 9:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wait, it was?!? I looked all over online and didn't find it, have to run try to find a Sunday paper!!

Jan 14, 08 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Good morning TC

Jan 14, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 

I am in a great mood...

Jan 14, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Glad you're in a good mood, nam. I am still giggling from re-reading some great old threads as posted by architechno in his [url=http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=69837_0_24_0_C]editor
s pics[/url].

Hilarious roundup, a-techno, I had forgotten most of those!

Jan 14, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dangit, I knew I'd screwed that up. pics.

Jan 14, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 

try again LB that link went to my editorial

Jan 14, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 
manamana

this week is not off to a good start. I forgot to put on deodorant today and just noticed. icky. Goal till I leave: avoid stress and physical activity.

Jan 14, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Eww. I hate it when stuff like that happens.

I'm still alive, sort of... Last week I came to the realization that I most likely have Asperger's Syndrome. It certainly explains a lot... And I suspect this profession is loaded with Aspies.

Take the quiz here.

My results:
Your Aspie score: 129 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 66 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Jan 14, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
****melt

@ Atechno - I enjoyed the editorial as well, esp b/c you mentioned the plant identification and stereotypes threads, as they've been some of my favourites.

Glad to hear your in a great mood today nam.

@LB - I thought of you today. We're going to do a walk-through tomorrow of the new project site and I asked whether of not the building was vacant. Wanted to make sure I'm not wearing the wrong type shoes when we are on-site tomorrow. I've done quite a few impromptu walk-throughs in which I have been completely ill prepared in the wardrobe dept.

Jan 14, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Gin I tried to do that test but it took far too much patience, so ofcourse you know I think I'm likely to be an Aspie

Jan 14, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

techno, that's where my link was supposed to go - to your editor's pic entry. I re-read the stereotypes thread and was laughing my ass off - I love those totally freestyle anything goes threads that pop up when a lot of us are bored at work! So much more entertaining than the school threads. Strawbeary, in particular, made the stereotypes thread funny.

vado I'm going to respond to your email right....now.

Jan 14, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

oops my brain is working too fast for a monday - I read pics = pictures of you and vado in the newspaper versus picks = editor's picks

today is one of those days when archinect is moving faster than i am working...

Jan 14, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: