Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

WonderK

Ok, here's my hobbit name,

Berylla Gamwich of the Bree Gamwiches

Here's my elven name:

Itarildë Táralóm

Ooooh, that's prettier. I like that better.

I'm so behind! Still posting on tuna's computer.....

I wish I had something interesting to say. Sorry, I think I'm still wiped out from the semester. Also catching up on my blog. Check back in a few days for some deep thoughts.

Sweet dreams everyone.

Dec 20, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

mom and dad have stopped fighting.. go back to the playroom or no xmas pressies.

Dec 20, 07 1:06 am  · 
 · 

what a stupid post, rfuller! positive is for suckers! ; )

start the conversation on the 'positive aspects of pre-modern architecture'. i'd like to hear where you're coming from. by pre-modern do you mean everything before? or directly pre-modern like my favorites behrens, horta, wagner, olbrich, tessenow, etc.?

Dec 20, 07 7:00 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Ummmmm..... the air conditioning just turned on in our building. Last time I checked, 28 degrees outside does not consitute hot and muggy.

Dec 20, 07 9:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
ATTENTION: SNOOKER!

You're on my mind these last 14 hours as I've been struggling to make a Sketch-Up rendering that is due tomorrow. I see us both as these cantankerous old fogeys (sorry, Old Fogey) trying to whip that slick snotty young software into shape....

Mine is coming along OK - but only OK - as I just figured out how to taper a cylinder. Now if I can throw some shadows (or pseudo-shadows - thank you Kirby for teaching me how light falls across a structure!) on it I'll be at least not embarrassed by what I present...

Dec 20, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Bravo, bravo, yay for you, John Cline - just think, someday Rowan Cline will be going on her own road trip!

Dec 20, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hi myriam.

Dec 20, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Liberty,

Ya I'm still struggling along but Sketch-Up did send me a Video
so I'm feeling like I'm learning something but not everything...

I love the Follow me Command! It is a leming kind of Thing.

I bailed on my last sketch up drawing, ran out of time and
the consultants I was working with were not able to pull it off
in time for our presentation.

It is a long story, hardly worth telling.

Dec 20, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Thanks, lb. And if she's anything like her father, I'm sure she'll hit the road the first chance she gets. =)

Dec 20, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

LB, it's not just old fogies, it's a pain-in-the-ass piece of software. Shadows turn on under the 'View' pulldown. And I would try selecting the top circle of the cylinder and using the 'Scale' command on it.

Dec 20, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Dec 20, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

Well, it is official. We are finally in our new space. Work still needs to be done. Louvers for the lights need to be installed. A couple of pieces of furniture still need to be built. We need art on those big white walls, but we are in.

Enjoy the pics.

Dec 20, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

looks great, e!

Dec 20, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

It's beautious, e! BTW, per a conversation techno and I were having earlier, have you ridden the SLUT yet?

Dec 20, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Absolutely beautiful, e!! Well done! I'd share space with you in an instant if I lived several thousand miles west of where I am now.

Sketchup: I'm beating it into partial submission, mainly by pushing my limits for what I can make it do and then...bailing out. I'm printing it as a framework and will hand render over it. The thing is: this design is all about shadows, and I have this terrible, primordial, materialistic urge to get out some charcoal...mmmm, shadowy deep charcoal.....

I'm a dinosaur. But a very touchy-feely sensual one. Still be extinct soon, but I'll enjoy getting there.

Dec 20, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

thanks everyone. lb, we would be honored to share space with you. rationalist, i have not taken a ride on the SLUT yet, but man i want to get one of those tees.

Dec 20, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

e- you make me want to start my own firm, just to make a really cool office like you now have!

do we need to start an A.D.D. thread as a companion to not getting things done?

Dec 20, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I'm thinking of starting a sketchup resource thread. As much as I don't really like the program, I've gotten pretty good with it. But for now: the keys to productivity in sketchup are keyboard shortcuts and scripts

Dec 20, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Jesus I hate sketchup. I guess I'm gonna have to take some time to really learn it in the near future. I've been using formZ for the past 3 years which makes so much more sense to me. But I guess free means better in the eyes of most firms.

Dec 20, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

sketch up isn't 'free' there is all that extra time spent beating it into submission and all the time lost converting the model into CDs...

Dec 20, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

nice office e! i like lulu's (do i remember right?) pad on the floor.

Dec 20, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

It's easy to love to hate SketchUp. But, it's saved a couple of presentations I gave this semester so it's good for something. I'm teaching myself Rhino over break. Well I'm trying to, anyway.

In the meantime, manamana, you should start that thread!

e, your space looks amazing! What's that white thing on the counter that transforms between the pictures?

myriam, check your email :o)

Dec 20, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

If there's a DubK/myriam meetup in Chicago over break, I'm in.

Dec 20, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i will be in chicago from the 29th to the 1st. most likely...

Dec 20, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Nice space e_

It's nice to hear that Sketchup isn't the easiest program to work with. I was beginning to think I was just an inpatient person.

manamana - I agree with WonderK - the Sketchup Resource Thread is a good idea.

Dec 20, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

liberty bell, check your email :-D

Anyone else want an email? I'm on fire this afternoon!

Dec 20, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i can't even say ride the SLUT without looking over my shoulder and laughing on the inside.....are Pimps allowed on the SLUT?

Dec 20, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am officially sick of christmas songs. i have heard the same damn songs over and over all day in our office. god. give it rest. this is not waht baby jesus was abouat.

Dec 20, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

wK- I'd love a vacation email!

vado, I was sick of xmas music from the time I first heard Rudolf...

Dec 20, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

plus theyre playin sirius which is playing such palp i wanna slit my freaking wrists...with the exception of christmas wrapping no christmas song written after snoopy and the red baron should be allowed and no recordings after that year should be allowed either!!!

Dec 20, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

beta, I think everyone's allowed on the SLUT, except possibly pitbulls which generally get kicked off of public transport around here. In fact, for the month of December, the SLUT is free!

Dec 20, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

a free slut?

Dec 20, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

thanks all.

dubK, that's a little door that can close to give visual privacy for the person at the first desk. a way of avoiding awkward eye contact between the person sitting the desk and the people at the conference table. it is an aluminum frame wrapped in a resin panel that rides on a track in the head of that opening.

Dec 20, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

easy, but never free.

Dec 20, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A free slut, it's a Christmas miracle.

vado, Christmas Wrapping sucks, but there's been lots of good Christmas music since then - just not the kind sirius or any office-allowed radio would play.

Personally, I'm listening to Cracker's bluegrass cd.

Dec 20, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
e

i remember the mayor saying a while back "I don't care what you call it as long as you ride it."

Dec 20, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

man, i knew seattle was a cool place but they're giving away free rides on the slut?

that settles it. i'm going.*

* - not really.

Dec 20, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

e-nice place.

I thought sluts were always free. Isn't that what sets them apart from whores?

Vado, I think you're the only man I've ever heard of that admits to liking Christmas Wrapping. It's my wife's favorite Christmas song.

Here's that new wave Christmas classic for those of you who haven't heard it.

Dec 20, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'M GETTING THAT T-SHIRT!

Dec 20, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

rfuller, the voice of logic when it comes to sexual classifications...;-)

Dec 20, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Hey, lb. I think that was just one of my SAT vocabulary words.

Slut:Whore as
Sketchup:FormZ

Dec 20, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

woooo! I just found out that I was named a finalist for a competition on Ecological Visualizations. Everyone in a class I took this quarter had to enter, but I didn't think I had a shot, given that my subject matter wasn't a direct match for 'ecological'. I basically just entered to satisfy the requirement of the class, not thinking I had any shot in hell because of that (we picked our topics before we found out we had to enter this). So 'finalist' is as well as I ever really had a shot to do, methinks. That's a nice little pick-me-up for the winter holidays!

Dec 20, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Sweet. Way to go rationalist! I've found I always do better if I don't try to please anyone from the outset and I just do the project the way I think it should be done. I think everyone can agree with that statement.

Dec 20, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Haha, rfuller, good one. Bring today's discussion full circle.

rationalist, I'm not surprised. I'm sure your half-hearted work is better than most peoples' 100%. Congratulations!!! Do we get to vote for you somewhere now?

Dec 20, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

congrats, rationalist! what was your non-ecological ecological proposal (in a nutshell)?

Dec 20, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

BTW, I suppose I'm a bit of an idiot. Vado, do you actually live in ABQ?

Dec 20, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

indy. close, though.

Dec 20, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

nah, lb. No voting. Choices already made... the email was one of those things they send the finalists to let us know that we weren't winners.

SW- it was information design spreads, on why our current electrical grid is so F'd up, and explaining how you get electricity at home, and the political and financial issues associated with it like deregulation.

Dec 20, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

i sent tina home for christmas this morning. i am not going this year partly due to daisy's extra need for security since the stroke and partly i have too many things to finish, plus partly, i am broke...
i was going to call everybody to make a somewhere around columbus/chicago lunch, but this has to wait 'till next year when i get to go to ohio.
i am going to go home now and take a nap and work all night. nice to be a bachelor for a week.
house is a mess anyway...

looks like it is going to be TC 100000 sometime today............wow......

Dec 20, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Aha. Thanks for the clarification SW.

Dec 20, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: