Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]

the nice thing is that the procedure is done orthoscopically, so incision and recovery are minor. yeah, i have had a LOT of bod-mod in the past 2 yrs, but this feels right.

Dec 18, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I have nothing but respect and awe for the act of giving part of your body to help another person. If I could do it, especially for someone in my family, I would absolutely. Good for you even considering it seriously, beta.

Now: do you have any tattoos you want to post pics of?! ;-)

Dec 18, 07 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

How do you remove a kidney without a large incesion? And do you pay for this, your insurance, or the living donor organization? I'm just curious. Could you piggyback some sort of elective proceedure ontop of this one, like liposuction or implants, something completely trivial and unnecessary?

For clarification, I'm not saying you need anything like that, just curious as to whether its possible or not.

Dec 18, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no tats, not yet, if i can do this donation - still need to go through evals - i will wait and get a sleeve done after.

i will not have to pay anything, it's all covered by the recipient's insurance.

Dec 18, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Beta
I say go for it..

Everyone else should be at least a post-death donor..

It saves lives.

Dec 18, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I once sat on a plane with a girl (about 20yo) who was going home to see her father, who was recovering from a kidney transplant. My seatmate's sister had donated the kidney. My seatmate said that the surgery and recovery for the donor, surprisingly, had been more difficult that that for the recipient. This was just one case, and perhaps the dad was in fantastic shape at 60 while his daughter had beaten up her body while in college, I mean who knows what the specifics were of their situation. Just sharing the story I heard.

I think you should go for it too.

Dec 18, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

for vado-

soil moisture... Between the capillary fringe and the soil
surface is the vadose zone, or the zone of
aeration.
found this gem while studying hydrology/stream morphology for my next round of LAREs.

oh, my tat is a memorial sacred heart with 'mom'...

beta- i see you as more of the body mod implant sort, go for the subcutaneous horns ;-P

Dec 18, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

see, i've been thinking about a Wolverine type implant, as in Wolverine from the X-Men...something about adamantine armour and knives ripping out of my skin i find appealing.

Dec 18, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

so you're sayin that i live in the dirt? great. unless its a dirt sinzone then its cool.

hey beta if you give a kidney to someone and then say down the line you're wife or kid or best friend or whoever needs a kidney then how you gonna help them with their dilemma? you'd be like well i'd like to help but i already gave a kidney away. or what if you got in a knife fight and you got stabbed in your only kidney???? man you'd be s.o.l. there dude.

Dec 18, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I've heard the same thing too about the surgery being harder on the person donating the kidney, but I think the reward far out ways the cons. I would do it to for family as well. I It's a very honorable thing to do Beta, I say go for it.

Dec 18, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

beta go for it! Just know that if you have any body mods of the metallic sort, they have to come out or be switched with tygon for any and all surgeries.

tk- you can still be an organ donor if you're not eligible to be a blood donor?! I'd been saying 'no' to the organ donor sticker, thinking they wouldn't want any of my risky tissue getting on the market (tat, piercings, TB as a kid).

Dec 18, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

and btw, I have a new appreciation for treekiller now. I was thinking of him as a little stuffy, and lo and behold he turns out to be modded!

Dec 18, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

r- stuffy????? got the tat back in '96 or so before every dick jane harry and celebrity had ink. back in the day I was a scenester around silverlake hanging with the slacker, jokers, addicts, and rockers - I may have been stuffy before that phase, now I've just mellowed in my post-grad school/married life/soon to be a dad thirties... (and I've never worn a bow tie with out a tux)

isn't the adamantine armor supposed to protect your remaining kidney?

all this talk about offal has got me thinking about getting mightylittle to post some recipes for kidney pie or something. oh its almost lunch time...

Dec 18, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

vado makes a good point, but my thought is they are now growing ears on the backs of rats, it'll be days before they can grow kidneys on the backs of chimps.

Dec 18, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh, i am part irish and i always bring a gun to knife fight, per Sean Connery's rules.

all i know is i can help someone without too much risk. i think liver is easier and it grows back, but surgery is a bit more evasive, and lung lobes are a little tougher too, besides if i am going to run that marathon next year, i'll need it.

Dec 18, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Is that thing pooping?!

Dec 18, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

that's better than shitting earwax.

Dec 18, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

ewwwwww!

(since beta and tk are almost tied, better keep my post count up!)

Dec 18, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

yarf!

Dec 18, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

remember lb, everyone and everything poops!

Dec 18, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So, on a random note, I was just thinking it would be interesting to see how many of the TC pages were from each year it has existed. I know that 100-170 are from 2007, but TC was started when? I quick colour coding of the years would be neat, though I wouldnt want to look at a rainbowed page index everyday either.

Dec 18, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

I always thought treekiller was rugged, with a tattoo of a giant axe on his back or an evergreen.

good news - I'm officially in escrow.

and how comes you Seattle natives haven't said anything about the SLUT

no warning necessary

Dec 18, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

techno, I didn't know that anyone else would be interested! I haven't ridden the SLUT yet, not the part of town I usually hang in. For those scared to click the link, the SLUT is the South Lake Union Trolley. They apparently actually decided on another name after someone pointed out the acronym to it, but we all still call it the SLUT anyway. I bet that e rides the SLUT all the time.

tk- you never know how you're going to come accross online. If you're offended, remember that people typically expect me to be an old man and call it even!

Dec 18, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

btw when I went to work this afternoon, this is what I saw. I am taking late mornings as I have to work the exhibition until 7 each evening. Fun!

Dec 18, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

r- you mean you don't have a gray beard and ear hair!?

Dec 18, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

r- not offended, just amused - always thought that the punk attitude of my nome du screen kept me from seeming too square.

it must be a slow day at everybodies office with the traffic at TC today.

sarah - look at the top of the page for tc's birth announcement:

abracadabra

Total Entries: 88
Total Comments: 2401

02/12/06 18:25

not that we see much of abra around here anymore...

Dec 18, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Actually, Rationalist, I picture you as a girl, with straight, thick, natural dark blondish hair. And I picture it sholder length, but always up in a ponytail. I also picture you as smiling most of the time, but with a secret annoyed streak that you hide just to tolerate the annoying people in your life. And I imagine you to have a dark, sarcastic side.

Have we ever done a thread about what we think people are?

Dec 18, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, and I imagine you to be around 26-28.

Dec 18, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Tk, you're right I could've done that. I was thinking mid-post that I'd have to go back to page one, and I didn't want to do that. Hopefully my brain will regain normal functions in 10 weeks!

And I picture you as thin, short dark hair, a little on the spikey side, sometimes with, and sometimes without glasses. And I imagine your are talkative when you drink.

Dec 18, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

sarah- that's pretty close, except that I don't have that much hair anymore (and it wants to be more of a jewfro then spiky when it gets longer). and I'm talkative all the time!

My wife was complaining that she can't remember names anymore (or other more complex concepts that she's studying for her psych license exam). ten weeks will be the beginning of sleep deprivation

Dec 18, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
ether

so how did i become a woman?!

Dec 18, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
wwhat do archinects look like?

thanks to john devlin - that was a classic thread

Dec 18, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ether, I dont know, you just were. Must've been all the baby talk. Now that you've changed your name, I picture you differently. I thought you were thin, wavy blonde, but now i picture you as early 30s, thinning hair, and in a sweater. I also see you with a round, happy face, with pronounced cheek bones because you smile often.

Dec 18, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

well to turn the fortunes, Sarah H; I've seen you as brown haired with bright green eyes and sharp wit, that can shoot proper whiskey with the boys, and likes her ale tall and cold. Albeit now with the warmth of an expectant mother. Don't tell me I'm wrong, because in my mind's eye I know I'm right.

Dec 18, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, you're a bit off. A little younger than that, long wavy red hippy hair (first cut in 10 months yesterday!). And my dark side is pretty well out there, I'm only cuddly once you get to know me. Apparently my online persona is also more mainstream than my real one. Oh, and though I haven't caught up to vado (or WonderK probably), the weight loss tally for this year has been 16 pounds so far! So all the 'nectors that met me last march think of me as fatter than I am now.

Maybe now that my hair has been tamed I'll update the look-like thread. There's much more hair and a bit more metal since I posted in that.

Dec 18, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

r- there is a picture of your cuteness on the thread I just linked...

Dec 18, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow I was way off, Rationalist. Funny how the way we type, even in a generic font, can give images of us.

Atechno, I would love to be like that, I think I would be great friends with someone like that, but I've never been a whiskey fan. I do like rum and vodka, which I drink straight, unless I'm feeling a little something extra. I DONT like fruity firly drinks, though. And I used to love tequila, but after you have 4/5 of a bottle, by yourself, tequila just doesn't like you. One drink of tequila, and I wont remember a thing. And my current favourite beer is the Optimator, but I can't remember who makes it. Its a dark beer, but not like a guiness dark.

I also have blonde hippy/fairy hair, and blue eyes.

As for wit, well, its gotten more blunt with my expanding condition. I tend to say things without thinking, and often get myself into trouble without meaning to be mean. Just like, I could've offended people with my discriptions, but I didn't mean to. I don't have a very good filter.

Dec 18, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

tk- both of my pics on there are pretty out of date. The one I posted has far too little hair, and the one DubK posted with me in it is from when I was the fattest I've ever been. It actually saddens me to know that people here think of me as being that size.

Dec 18, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

And I didn't picture Sarah as a whisky lady, but I did guess right on the blondness. The name Sarah (particularly with an 'h') just says 'blonde' to me somehow.

Dec 18, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

well to turn the fortunes, Sarah H; I've seen you as brown haired with bright green eyes and sharp wit, that can shoot proper whiskey with the boys, and likes her ale tall and cold. Albeit now with the warmth of an expectant mother. Don't tell me I'm wrong, because in my mind's eye I know I'm right.

Dec 18, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

yeah, I hate when people leave off the 'h.'

Dec 18, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Speaking of losing weight and being healthy... For various reasons, I looked into fasting a couple of months ago but never made a commitment. I think I'm going to give it a go in the new year. Anyone have some experience in this area?

Dec 18, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Dec 18, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

How many times are you going to post that, techno? I'm sorry. I do like your picturing of me.

Dec 18, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

apologies everyone - I'm not sure what happened. I've had multiple posts before but never so dramatic. Apologies again.

I think i'm going to sneak out early - peace to all.

Dec 18, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm alive....I'll talk again soon, I promise.....

Dec 18, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

betterlate than never!

Dec 18, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Dec 18, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

did somebody call my name?

Dec 18, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

got any recipes for kidneys?

Dec 18, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: