Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

im gettn my kidneys chrome plated...

Dec 18, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

@ John Cline,
I grew up fasting from except for juice, fruit or water a couple of times a month.

Studies have been done showing the benefits of prolonged calorie reduction.

My TC has been very busy since this afternoon at work.

Are you all on the West Coast, out West?

I imagine my profile pic provides a good idea of my looks. Most likely doesn't match my typing attitude though...

Dec 18, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Rationalist, your voice was what surprised me in person. :) I would love to see an updated picture--show off your new look, lady! And congrats on the weight loss--something I can't manage myself. I admire your tenacity!

Dec 18, 07 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

I know what myriam looks like. She's a rad girl.

Dec 19, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 

myriam, will consider. And yeah, I hate my voice. I cringe if I have to hear it replayed, like on an answering machine or anything. I'm afraid I'll sound like a 12-year-old forever!

Dec 19, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 

oh and nam, I'm a left-coaster, and here so much because I'm being lazy at home on break right now! Fall quarter's over, and I found out today that I did decently grade-wise. Hope to do better next quarter, but nothing that could be considered bad either.

Dec 19, 07 2:36 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

to celebrate my 2nd year anniversery at this gig i came into the office an hour and a half early.

Dec 19, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Nice Vado - wish I could be so dedicated.

Rationalist - I hate my voice too. Always have, always will.

Atechno and Sarah H - Your description of Sarah looks like is exactly how I've envisioned her... minus the whiskey though.

Dec 19, 07 8:24 am  · 
 · 

voice hater here too. is hating your voice a thing among architect-types?

Dec 19, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Steven, thats possible. Maybe we should take a poll. I don't like my voice. I wish it were more feminine, but I think it sounds like a guy. Not deep and dusky like a cross-dresser, but not honey-sweet and melodic like I'd prefer.

Dec 19, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i like my voice, i can manipulate it on any given situation. although i don't think i sound like i sound when my voice is recorded and played back.

i have yet to use my angry voice with any consistency though, especially being "nice" country.

Dec 19, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

myriam posted that my voice is sexy. Granted, when I spoke to her I was well in to a glass of bourbon, but I'll leave it at that.

This comment might be more appropriate on the what is it about this city thread - I just spent five minutes scrolling through the Philadelphia art blog that I used to read every day. In five minutes I saw ten pieces of art I'd like to own. Looking at the Indy art scene, I see maybe one piece every six months that I consider as a *possible* contender to join my collection.

For example, even though I think the whole kitschy hand-made consumer artifact moment in art is a bit overdone, I'd still love to own this:

Indy is the most boring city I've ever experienced. And I say that as someone who has been to Yuma.

Dec 19, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also: WHO IS THE GENIUS who mentioned that you can fool the preview page into previewing your post after the first page of the discussion?!?! I think it was DCA, and I have to go find out now so I can tell her or whoever it was that they are an absolute GENIUS - wait, was it manamana? I'll be right back.

Dec 19, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dangit, I can't find it. I WILL figure it out, though, and give that person the respect they deserve. Here's what to do: write your post, copy it, hit preview, paste the text into the now empty post box, and hit preview again. Brilliant.

Back to current TC topics: Has anyone heard the NPR segment Vocal Impressions where they ask readers to describe famous voices, like this one: Bob Dylan's voice sounds like "Trying to read an algebraic formula after three shots of tequila." – Patrick Wallace

Steven, every time I hear your voice on your outgoing message on your phone I smile. I like it very much, and it sounds exactly like you: smart, precise, and really fun.

I imagine beta's voice is very deep and sexy. My husband's, like Brad Pitt's, is very deep also.

Dec 19, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
farmer

the great Dutch soprano Elly Ameling once confessed that she disliked the sound of her own voice on recordings. Her wisdom was that we have to learn to forgive ourselves.

Dec 19, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb, I'm pretty sure it was DCA. PS. I love that bag too.

I don't like my voice either and I feel like it's getting deeper, which worries me. My laugh is still high-pitched and cackly though, much to the amusement of most of my friends.

Dec 19, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hmmmm at the harrison center last friday i saw many fine works of indianapolis artwork.

Dec 19, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
****melt

DubK - What are you talking about? I think you have a great voice. And your laugh... it's completely contagious.

Sarah H - I'm right there with you. I was actually going to say the same thing as well. I've always felt like I have this really masculine voice that isn't at all sultry like I wish it was. It's even worse when I have a cold/bronchitis. YUK! It doesn't fit my physical appearnce at all.

When it comes down to it, I think most people don't like their voice, especially when they hear a recording of it.

As for the preview page bit, I thought it was n_ who mentioned it, but I could be wrong.

LB - I am totally going to have to check out that listening impressions bit on NPR. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it until just now.

Dec 19, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

DCA

Total Entries: 15
Total Comments: 953

12/16/07 16:45
n_, it is possible to preview on longer threads. I've found two ways to do it:

1. Be on the first page of the thread when you click preview.

or

2. Copy your comment, hit preview, paste your comment, then click preview again.

Dec 19, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

The old guy can still rock.

Dec 19, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i was even pleasantly surprised by...

Dec 19, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

2. Copy your comment, hit preview, paste your comment, then click preview again.

COOL #2 works- hats off to DCA!!!!!

strange weather today, very foggy, with a dull flat light that has reduced all contrast in the landscape.

looking like I'm in for a very slow day, so just playing around with the NJDEP gis viewer, best feature is the 1930 aerial photo layer...

Dec 19, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I won't start using my hobbit name, I won't! I won't! I won't!!!!

Dec 19, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

It's just a matter of time.

Dec 19, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i love it that the hobbits only like talking about metal.

Dec 19, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Mine was too long for archinect, so I have to use my elvish one instead.

Dec 19, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

TK, 'Sancho Brandybuck' is too good to pass up though!

Dec 19, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Tk, does your real first name start with 'B'? When I entered Husband's name, I got Sancho too.

Dec 19, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Andune- apparently we have the same last name, and possibly the same first initial... I got Anatariel Lossehelin as my elven name. So much prettier than the hobbit names.

Dec 19, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Berilac Broadbelt of Buckland...i like it, it's lyrical, in nerd sort of way...

Dec 19, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

R- yeah probably, I did all my families names and got the same.

But no on the first initial. I have a weird one, that's usually overlooked as being part of the alphabet, so I doubt the elves picked it up.

Dec 19, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

TC has been overrun by Elfs and Hobbits...reminds me of this guy (Leonard Nimoy) and his Ballad of Bingo Baggins

Dec 19, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

kidneys are best when fresh and still enclosed in their own caul fat.

season generously all over the outside of the fat and roast at 400º for about 15-18 minutes.

allow to rest for 5minutes, then slice through the fat layer tableside. serve in slices about 3/4" thick and pour over them a mustard cream sauce.

otherwise, pan fry 1" thick slices of raw kidneys in butter until just medium rare and serve with whole grain mustard. lots of mustard.

Dec 19, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Here is my hobbit name
Sancho Sandybanks of Frogmorton

Dec 19, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dweeb central

Dec 19, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

are those beef, lamb, pork, chicken or what kidneys?

Dec 19, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Anybody seen this latest job listing? Is it just me, or is stuff like this a sign of the End Times?

Dec 19, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

veal in particular. lamb would be similar, though smaller.

i find pork offal to be kind of nasty, IMHO. pig liver and kidneys aren't fit for eating on their own, though they make a natural addition to pates and the like.

except the bladder. the pig bladder is a fine vessel in which to poach chicken.

then serve it with a nice truffle soubise.

duck kidneys aren't much to speak of...duck gizzards on the other hand make fantastic confit and are delectable sliced finely and served in a salad with frisee and lots of black pepper.

and duck liver? well. i don't have that kind of time to get into a discussion about duck liver!

Dec 19, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I really wish job postings had comments...that'd be fun.

Dec 19, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

oh, and typically, all offal from cows must come from veal calves, as the offal starts to become filled with the nasties as the cows age. so beef liver would be a real no-no in my book, and kidney's too.

always from the youngins!

nasty stuff i know, but if you're going to kill an animal to eat it, you should use the whole damn thing. from tip to tail.

everything but the oink they say.

Dec 19, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

i try not to eat the insides of animals unless nicely packaged in sausages or soups.

actually I avoid eating anything that makes a sound/noise

meat is murder...aim for silent killing

Dec 19, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LOL! When I initially read that Atechno I thought "So he doesn't eat crunchy things? How sad"

Dec 19, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Oh, it's the end of times but there are a lot of other signs as well.

I wonder how much it pays?

Dec 19, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

mightylittle, you are my hero. if i hadn't already found him, i would have guessed you were my one true love.

Dec 19, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Can We Talk About Architecture? No one else wants to.....sad thought....of americana.....snow falls softly....lightly....covering...
the true....meaning....give me a Big Mac!

Dec 19, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

gin, you should apply!

Dec 19, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

1. I, too, am a voice hater. I've always hated the sound of my own voice.

2. Fidler, I couldn't agree more. Rob still rocks.

3. My hobbit name sounds like something a gay wizard would name himself. I don't mean that in any kind of "gay as a pejorative" way, either.

4. Snooker, I'd love to talk about architecture. I'm as sick as everyone else with all the political threads. I'd like to see a thread about the positive aspects of pre-modern architecture...without any one calling anyone else an idiot for liking pre-modern architecture or using historical references. In fact I'd just like to see a lot more positive discussions. People are so quick to take sides on this site like everything is on a continuum.

A------------------------------------vs.--------------------------------------B
Modernism-------------------------vs.---------------------------------Idiots
Liberal------------------------------vs.---------------------------------Idiots
Architects---------------------------vs.---------------------------------Idiots

Dec 19, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh man this has to be the funniest day in Archinect history, someone looking to hire someone for grad school admissions help! oh my gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 19, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline
fist a cuffs
Dec 19, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Weeee......

Dec 19, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: