Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

Yeah. The worst part is that I don't know what I'm missing. Luckily husband and I have the same contacts, but because he has a new iPhone, I can't transfer them. I'll be entering all that stuff tonight. Fun times.

May 23, 11 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Hi all.

GOOD NEWS ON MY END: My thesis proposal got accepted so I will be pursuing my thesis research in CUBA!  YES!  I am elated that I am able to pursue this thesis research and not my plan B - an interesting topic but something that was definitely second choice to my study in Havana.  

Also, two days after the government gave me the approval to go to Cuba this summer, I won an international travel fellowship to cover all my expenses while I'm there for 5 weeks.  Huge sigh of (financial) relief.  

Goodness gracious, it's been a good few days.  

I hope everyone is doing well and staying busy.  

May 23, 11 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, n. That's awesome. My good news is that my fabric patio covering seems to be working. I'll post a picture soon.

May 23, 11 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

sarah you can use i-tunes to restore your contacts and pretty much everything else.  i have done it many times and it is easy-peasy.  you might end up a wee bit back in time with the e-mail and the messages but that is not as bad as starting from zero.

¡f elicidades  n_ !    que bueno!

May 23, 11 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

n_ that's fantastic!  Cuba is fantastic on its own, but add in that it's FREE and it truly rocks!  Congratulations!

May 23, 11 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

Where has rusty been?

May 24, 11 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

snook, reporting back that I found Buffet's biography in the bargain book bin for $4, so I got it and started reading it this morning. I hope you weren't kidding when you recommended it...

Congrats n_!!! is anyone else always shocked everytime you look at Cuba on a map? It is always bigger than my mental image keeps in mind.

May 24, 11 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Hi Donna! I'm alive (barely).

Just got back from my NYC trip, highlight of which was a 103 degree fever that lasted 4 days.

Congrats n_ on the Cuba permit! Upswing is if you get seriously ill there, you will be able to get  medical care without emptying out your piggy bank.

May 24, 11 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Oh, no, rusty, I hope the interview went OK despite having the plague!

May 24, 11 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Jump, that would be true if I synced my phone more often. I hadn't, and there was no record of my phone at all. I'm pretty much over it now. I'm sad about the pictures, but in a few weeks I will have forgotten about them.

May 24, 11 10:28 am  · 
 · 

n_ that is so awesome! Quilian Riano went there for some school research while at U of F a number of years ago. You might want to get in touch....

good morning!

May 24, 11 10:29 am  · 
 · 

congratulations n_!!! that sounds like a fun project....

May 24, 11 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thanks Dona! I only got sick after the interview. There was a sickly looking asian chicken in their gift basket. Perhaps I shouldn't have licked it.

May 24, 11 11:55 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Congrats n_ !!!!

Rusty! hope your interview went well and I hope you kick the plague's ass soon.  Being sick SUCKS!!!!

May 24, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thank you so much melt! Interview did go well. The fever made NYC look very dreamy. The highline project? Magic from above!

Haven't been this sick in at least a decade, if ever.

May 24, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

on unrelated note, now when you click on a link on this site (not that anyone ever does that), archinect follows you. What's up with that? Spammy sites tend to do such. Dislike very much.

May 24, 11 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Thanks, TCers.  I'm super excited.  I'm focused this quarter on my other master degree (MSRE) which is pretty soulless so I am thrilled to be getting excited about my MArch thesis. I am in desperate need of a good design challenge.

Thanks for the advice nam.  I tried to contact Quilian Riano a few months ago but never heard back.  I'm still working on some other contacts.

Happy Tuesday!

May 24, 11 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, congratulations n_!

I'm preparing to head to Montreal for the annual SEGD shindig, and apparently my traveling companion cannot find his passport. Crap.

May 24, 11 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

do americans need a passport to enter canada?  i can't recall what we all decided after 9/11.  are we not special friends anymore?

thats a pity sarah.  my iphone is often crapping out for no good reason and i need to reset it.  i have decided it isn't me its the phone.  carnsarned thing.

get well rusty.   glad the illness waited til after the interview. 

May 24, 11 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

From the CBSA website...apparently you don't:

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

May 24, 11 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

I thought that a couple of years ago they started saying you had to have a passport to enter Canada or Mexico. Either way, Air Canada said they'd require a passport to let us board.

May 24, 11 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

that was what i though lars.

when i was younger i went to states all the time and didn't need a passport.  even went to mexico without one.  i can imagine at least a birth certificate is necessary now.  shitty if a passport is required though. 

May 24, 11 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Jump and lars that is per cbsa however, per USA border controls you do. last time i checked.

i am officially sick. as soon as i get two days off. at least it happened on Tues.

May 24, 11 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

jump, passport if flying, other ID if driving.

Judging by the mayhem on Canadian border last night (happy victoria day!!) it helps to have a passport if you're a Canadian trying to enter Canada. 

May 24, 11 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Am I the only one thinking it would be more convenient to carry the passport around rather than a birth certificate or a certificate of citizenship or naturalization?

May 24, 11 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Philarch, you would be correct, unless your passport is the one document that you happen to not be able to find at the moment...

May 24, 11 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Last time is was in Canada, you could cross with identification . We were traveling by train.

You did need to have a passport if coming by sea or air.  I thought they  went ahead with the change over for everything, but you know politics...and well religion ...they always be a changing depending upon the mood of the economy.

Canada the land where women canoe and men  power boat.  I guess you could say my last trip into Canada on a ten day paddle, left me with a distinct impression.

May 24, 11 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Damn you guys now all I can think about is going to Swartz  for a killer  meal.  It is a Canadian thing...

May 24, 11 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

good neighbours carry passports i guess, eh?

ah well.

May 25, 11 8:28 am  · 
 · 

Congratulations n_, that is indeed good news!! Let me know when you are going through... 

In regards to passports we (Jamaica) allow you yanks in without a passport but we are told to request a passport for you to leave. Odd but true. 

The call for papers is officially out

May 25, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe I'll come to Jamaica and "forget" to bring my passport!!!

May 25, 11 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

That's hilarious David.  They must want people to stay?

After the past couple of months I think I can safely say I think the chaos that entered my life has now walked out the door, but not before getting smacked by it.  All I'm gonna say is good riddance that I am no longer in the direct path of inpatient and intolerant clients and good riddance for getting rid of others who make preconceived notions/assumptions about me without ever having the balls to verify that they are true. 

Now on with the show.

May 25, 11 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Donna: this is somewhat out of left-field, but what are your favorite Cake albums? I have a number of them but for whatever reason don't usually explore beyond Fashion Nugget. I think I recall you being a Cake fan and was wondering what you're 'must listens' would be.

May 25, 11 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Maybe Connecticut Yankees should start asking for New Yorkers to produce their passports...and we could pull a Jamacian...only we could give there passports back for a small fee....humm...sound like a sensable solution to our State Goverment Budget Problems.

May 25, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know, Aaron, I really love them all.  Just thinking of songs, Meanwhile Rick James is incredible, as is their cover of War Pigs, and Daria, and She Ain't No Good for You, and Pretty Pink Ribbon.  When Angus was a tiny baby I used to rock him and sing Mexico and The End of the Movie (the latter NOT appropriate lyrics for a kid!).  And their cover of the Willie Nelson waltz Sad Songs and Waltzes is awesome...so many!  I have everything they've ever released but really don't listen to any one album more than another.

May 25, 11 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

i've always been a cake fan, but i've been totally down on them since i saw them play last year... i had seen them 4-5 times before and they were great... this night was a special "night with cake" show, so there was no opening act, which usually means an extra-long show... but they totally mailed it in that night... huge disappointment...

but yeah, the war pigs cover is awesome...

May 25, 11 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Today's thought-provoking topic (at least for me): pseudo x-ray vision. Architecture taught me to "cut sections" through things... x-ray vision of sorts.  In fact, the practice is so strong that I do it automatically without even realizing it. Being mindful of how many things I draw sections through or otherwise pick up and manipulate with my mind (distort or spin around). Just for entertainment purposes.

May 26, 11 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Kicking off a 2.5 week vacation in about an hour. I will be spending it in a cabin, reading books and drinking coffee and wine!

May 26, 11 10:28 am  · 
 · 

morning all,.

beccabec color me jealous....

May 26, 11 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And reading Archinect, of course...

May 26, 11 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Philip I saw Cake once, at TLA on South Street, actually.  The show was good, but not so magical that I felt any need to see them live a couple weeks ago when they played here in Naptown.  It was fun watching John McCrea hit that antelope jaw thing on his hand, though.

May 26, 11 11:22 am  · 
 · 
n_

beccabec, what I would do for your life right now.

May 26, 11 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

donna, the "antelope jaw thing" is called a vibraslap... i made my wife a t-shirt with one emblazoned with a cake logo on it for the show... i saw them back in florida once at jannus landing in st. petersburg and the show was incredible... the opening band was kings of leon before they got huge... i think that part of it might be that i had always seen them in small/medium venues and the philly show was at the mann center... maybe it was just too big of a venue for them to handle...

May 26, 11 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Yep, that's it.  I heard an interview with McCrea where he talked about the origins of that instrument being an antelope jaw with the teeth loose enough to rattle in their sockets when you hit if, and what a totally barbaric form of music-making that is - we humans are capable of scary stuff!

May 26, 11 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Oops, sorry, Philip, I just misused a hyphen as an em dash AGAIN!  Habit.

May 26, 11 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Hello TC. 

I'm really looking forward to the dog days of summer when I don't have anything better to do that just sit on the beach with my fiancee'. Sadly there is a shit load of work to do before then... including 2 dissertations to mark. Fun, fun, fun! And I'll be busy working with my hands this weekend again... I do like playing contractor. I'll be sure to take pictures and add it to the Jobsite Pic of the Day - there's nothing as posh and fancy as Donna's bathroom remodel but it is sweet nonetheless.

Cuthbert out!

May 26, 11 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

man, I wish that's how my summers went!!

Manfriend was able to obtain passport, so trip is good to go! Now I just have to actually put together my presentation for the conference.

May 27, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

feck. 2nd to last day of work AND gil scott heron passed away. what a shitty way to start a weekend.

May 27, 11 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Really?! Time for 'Winter in America' on repeat all day... No more prophetic words from the poet.

May 28, 11 8:26 am  · 
 · 

anyone else watching the Manchester United / Barcelona match?

May 28, 11 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: