Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

we closed up the office today and took the whole crew to columbus indiana for some archi-touring. went through the new(ish) school by perkins&will, the older gunnar birkerts elementary school with the play space in its central court. walked the streets around the pei library, the eliel saarinen church, the birkerts church, the saarinen bank, the som city hall, koetter kim's new 'commons', etc. 

then trekked out to the miller house by eero saarinen, with landscape by dan kiley and interior design by alexander girard. exquisite. 

Jun 3, 11 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

sounds kool steven.

think it was maholy-nagy.  those guys were pretty cool.

Jun 3, 11 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

great sketches/book there jump. And that is a cracking lounge - the offset of the highly polished floor against the concrete is in a word... sexy! Jealousy! About the phones - yea we use them all the time, even in office - taking pictures, carrying/transporting files, backing up documents, taking snapshots of renders, you name it. One of the directors uses his phone to bridge the office network/files to his ipad after work. It's an essential tool

Jun 3, 11 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Wow Steven... that sounds awesome. Hopefully we get to do one of those soon at the office - we are due a trip with everyone I think. 

Jun 3, 11 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

it is def nice, david.  the outside of the building is finished in concrete and 5mm thick stainless steel panels.  very nicely made building and in good condition after 20 years.  my own office on campus is down the road from the guest house and while i have floor to ceiling windows and a 5 meter high ceiling that i enjoy the design is nowhere close to as good.  the quality of maki's work is obvious, which is nice to see even in a fairly mundane project like this.

cool about the phones.  i just learned of dropbox a wee bit back and been using that a lot too through the phone.  and now rhino files can be read on iphone it is surely just a matter of time before traditional cmputers will be redundant.  i am really looking forward to the day.  then we can all wonder what that argument about CG versus physical models and sketching was all about.

Jun 4, 11 1:09 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

ya were just all "Dick Tracys"  Guess the new colors should be yellow and black.

Jun 4, 11 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

dropbox is an essential tool... we're using it on the book that i'm working on (which is almost ready to go to the printers and will be published by MIT Press in early 2012), so that all of the various editors and designers have access to the files... i also use to back up my dissertation files as an offsite back-up to supplement my two external drives that i have here at home...

Jun 4, 11 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Margat5522

(spam)

Jun 4, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

now I like that edit feature.....not that I'm the one who flagged Margat4422...now I'm curious what the spam might have been. I hope it didn't have to do with some aspect of the archithunk process.

Jun 4, 11 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

lol snook.  i was thinking minority report but dick tracy is even better.

know what you mean philip.  dropbox has changed how we work.  hopefully we won't have power blackouts this summer and we can continue to use it too.  gonna be a bummer if it all shuts down again.

Jun 4, 11 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I wonder how many youngsters would have no idea what to do with themselves if the power went out in an office.

Jun 5, 11 9:59 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

toaster...."lights go down arms go round"...sly smile... I don't think they would have much of a problem figuring out how to stay busy.

Jun 5, 11 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

My first four days of a summer internship was without power. First a crazy storm, and then the transformer blew. We deadfiled drawings the whole time. Good thing I knew how to roll up subway sandwiches. At least that's how that office filed stuff away. And then we put "toe tags" on them - we designed funeral homes and mausoleums. Now that filing is all digital, I'm not sure what theyd do.

Jun 5, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Even as one of the "youngsters" I'd probably get some work done without all the distractions for once. Though, gotta admit, I've mostly stayed away from Archinect during work hours for the past year or so.

Jun 5, 11 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Did anyone else see the recently published NEA higher ed salary and benefit survey of public colleges? I wasn't too shocked to see my 2 year college with an average full-time salary of $89.5k which bests many 4 year schools. (Two other local 2 year colleges had higher salaries. A full professor at COD makes $108.5k on average whereas the average full professor at OCC makes $100.5k. It's public record that my full professor colleague makes more than anyone in the Arch dept at UIC with a few exceptions.)  I wish I were full-time!  ;-) It should give people a pretty good idea of what academics make in places other than 4 year programs and what level of college debt is sustainable. The other thing is that many places are no longer hiring full professors and the salaries reflect that. It's nice to have some data to peruse and see what opportunities are out there.

Jun 5, 11 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

Back from Canada and I'm dead tired. Met a bunch of amazing designers, ate lots of delicious french/canadian food, drank far too much wine... overall a great week. Sad to return to real life.

Jun 6, 11 1:20 am  · 
 · 

you went to quebec?

Jun 6, 11 6:26 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

ah...quebec....I need an inspirational trip!

Jun 6, 11 6:35 am  · 
 · 

yeah jump I was in Montreal for the Society of Environmental Graphic Design conference and awards... walked away with a fun little plaque designed by Massimo Vignelli. I love it when awards are as good-looking as the designs that earned them.

Jun 6, 11 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

congrats Erin!

Jun 6, 11 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

yes, congrats erin!  C'est tres chouette!

montreal is a great city.  very jealous.

Jun 6, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Can we get a photo of that plaque? I'm curious what it looks like if an award winning graphic designer says it looks good.

Jun 6, 11 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Congratulations, Erin!

Jun 6, 11 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Congrats Erin what was the award for?

TC I need some help finding precedents for adventure playgrounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The last playground I used was probably designed by Robert Moses or his cronies and had exposed pipes, lead and mercury flowing through the water - not to mention they weren't afraid we'd get tangled in the swing set or get ecoli in the sand. So yea any help in locating precedents will help whilst I try and digest these ASTM standards by tomorrow

Jun 7, 11 12:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

woohoo Erin!

Jun 7, 11 12:59 am  · 
 · 

i was the location finder and the art director on this music video almost twenty years ago.

for architects, those times were tough as well. regardless, my girlfriend, who was the director of the video, and i  had some fun. let's keep this in tc.;.))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJZyjF9PlQ&feature=player_detailpage

Jun 7, 11 2:42 am  · 
 · 

actually the real interesting thing was that we had shot hundreds of feet of film aroung los angeles just driving around with a 16mm bolex camera in my dodge dart and most  places we filmed burned down during the 1992 riots which came shortly after the video. it sure would be nice to get a hold of the footage but who knows what happened to them? production company owns all the film and probably they thrash all the unused footage after few years or the film itself gets damaged.

Jun 7, 11 3:03 am  · 
 · 

before the los angeles video my friend made this video, on the greener side, for the same artist. apparently a spoof on robert palmer's 'simply irresistible.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1NyTN3FG9s&feature=related

i liked michelle shocked. she was a real person. she had a boy friend/body guard who was a bit  full of it.

Jun 7, 11 3:29 am  · 
 · 

Hey David,

I came across this post on some of the designs of Isamu Noguchi for playgrounds, conducted for the United Nations.

Don't think that is exactly what you were asking for though....

Mornign all, been busy, but lookign forward to seeing AP this Friday and getting to hang out with Quilian.

My first sort of Archinect meetup!

Jun 7, 11 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Morning.  I'm taking Abe to the library today to see a juggler.  We will be meeting his best friend there.  Hope it all goes well, and I hope Abram doesn't decide he is a juggler that needs to practice in my livingroom.

Jun 7, 11 9:34 am  · 
 · 

david, i'm sure that you already know about these... aldo van eyck designed something like 750 playgrounds for amsterdam... isamu noguchi did a bunch too, including at least one with louis kahn (although that one never got built)... LTL has designed some play equipment too...

Jun 7, 11 9:36 am  · 
 · 

Oh and congrats Erin!

Jun 7, 11 10:58 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Congrats Erin

Does anyone know where in the code it would state whether or not baby changing stations are required?  Would it state it in the code or would that come strictly from ADA?  I briefly skimmed through the appropriate sections of the IBC but found nothing.  Thanks.

Jun 7, 11 11:25 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I just spent 15 minutes coming up with fake names for biotech companies.

Jun 7, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

melt - maybe the plumbing code...

Jun 7, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

It has to be in the "Baby Changing Code" ,  look under the Chapter: Changing Stations.

Jun 7, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You will most likely have to put in Four  Changing Stations. One will have to be for the Men and one for the Woman and then each will most likely need to have one which meets the ADA requirements , which mean that it will not be suitable for the average Joe. Oh ya , don't forget the signage which will also need to meet the ADA requirements. 

Jun 7, 11 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

plumbing code - that doesn't make any sense, toaster.

Jun 7, 11 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Hey now.... it was an honest question.  With all the freakin' regulations there are out there these days (thank you TAS and California) one can never be too sure.

In other news, there's a heat emergency here, and I'm planning to go riding after work with a friend to get in my miles (training for MS150 again this summer) for the week.  I think last summer's heat must have short circuited something in the brain because I would have never even mniutely considered such a thing a few years ago.

Jun 7, 11 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

melt - I don't think they are required.  check with your state, though.

Jun 7, 11 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

If they are not required you should think about putting them in anyway. Just think about what a pain in the arshe it is to change  a screaming kicking kid  standing up in a public bathroom.  As they say Shit Happens!

Jun 7, 11 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

covering mouth with hand....I ment Sheet happens...

Jun 7, 11 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Got yanked out of my vacation and was called back to work early. Poo. Oh well.

So lately I've been cooking up this idea to get one of my bestie arch friends to move to my town and start a practice with me. She is in LA now, working for a firm but not too happy about it. I haven't told her about my idea yet but she has already told me she is tired of LA and has mentioned that she would consider moving here. The clients at this biz I've been helping out with are interested in the fact that I am an (unlic.) architect too. Many of the clients here are contractors, realtors, engineers, land owners, business owners... You could say I've already begun marketing.

Jun 7, 11 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

A new hire at the place I work at now just started with a $75,000 signing bonus*.  So that 30k is like nothing! 

I've been checked out of TC for awhile due to a lot of work at work.  Was wrapping up a big project that was pretty important.  I got it done, and everyone was happy, and the number of emails that went around thanking people blew my mind.  It is sooo nice to feel appreciated.  It's funny what a BIG difference a little pat on the back can do. 

*clearly, this is not an arch. firm.

Jun 7, 11 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

thanks guys for the quick responses. As always you are all, every last one of you awesome!! 

Jun 7, 11 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

Hey everyone!

Like manta I've been checked out due to being busy. I just picked up a last minute rush consulting/milling job for a local designer thats had me hustling to get up to speed on the project and make sure we can run the job safely due to the machine time/various operator skill levels involved. I've got some long nights coming up this weekend but in the end its going to be worth it.

AND I got to hang out with larslarson this weekend to give him a hand with a project he's working on. Good times!

Jun 8, 11 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Hey Aaron,

Plus, aren't you moving soon? I think i will get to meet larslarson this weekend....

Morning all.

Jun 8, 11 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Hi TC,

been checked out too with too much work. stay tuned for a big announcement soon.

Jun 8, 11 11:17 am  · 
 · 

i passed my last registration exam! after filling out some paperwork and writing a check i will finally have gotten around to getting licensed.

Jun 8, 11 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

phillip you're a busy guy! i am supposed to do that too. someone is getting very impatient with me. besides me, that is.

Jun 8, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: