Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

i am wondering how it would work in near tropical climate like tokyo. seems like the principals are the same but details are different?.

@ barry, of course all are important, but sometimes a screwdriver, or maybe a tool no one has even thought of yet, does a better job. it is too easy to see these kinds of issues rigidly and cause problems that are not worth the trade off. a matter of the best getting in the way of the good as the saying goes...

Jul 17, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

jump,

principles can apply to cooling instead of heating. some projects underway in medit. climates, there was a passivhaus recently completed in kamakura

Jul 17, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

i love that the ad at the top of "thread" central is abt easy-2-thread needles right now!

Jul 18, 10 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah as a long holz follower (I'm not only a fan-club member but the president) I'm glad to see him get his due on TC and not just NTAB (we are so in when you use the acronyms). I guess folks wouldn't have known it was you if they clicked on the link on my blog but now they do.

There's this big hooha regionally about LEED, even though most of the principles don't apply and stating something is LEED plantihoooy is really only for bragging rights. Even then it typically covers a small bit for a tropical zone that's susceptible to earthquakes and hurricanes. There are talks to set up our own green energy council but I suspect that's another decade out. My question to the mighty holz as well to the green guru Barry is should I go for passivhaus or LEED in the interim (better to fight within)?

Jul 18, 10 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ATP...

i don't know which would be better. do you mean certification wise?

the question i have is would it be necessary? i'm not overly familiar w/ the climate of jamaica (perfect and... perfect?) since i haven't lived there for longer than a month and that was ages ago, but the concept of passivhaus is applicable in cooling-dominated regions as well.

it would probably be really easy to achieve. we looked at locating a passivhaus in san diego and it was insanely easy.

for a holistic approach, i would look at living building challenge as a method of incorporating LEED-esque strategies while maintaining the regionalism that works in the tropics.

Jul 18, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Actually... in Florida, most buildings are air tight. We have such a high dew point that everything routinely gets covered in condensation if you leave a window open.

Not to mention the whole horrible insect problem which Florida spends a significant amount of money trying to control.

But yeah, without air tight buildings and refrigerated air, everything grows toxic mold.

Jul 18, 10 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

holz - I still worry about super-insulated homes because if any moisture gets in the envelope it has a much harder time escaping - it's not just humidity in the house.

I also really don't like the reliance on a mechanical system as a fix...

anyway - it's interesting stuff..

Jul 18, 10 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

tokyo and japan in general tend towards moldiness as well. so we tend to stress ventilation rather than airtightedness. my father in law has 100+ year old house where the method is to have deep eaves, lots of trees (massively noticable drop in temperature when you enter his land, which is admittedly larger than normal by about a factor of 100), the entire building is lifted off the ground for ventilation, operable floor to ceiling windows everywhere, then walls are finished with air space and wood on outside and with moisture absorbing earth/dirt walls on inside. Air conditioner is hardly ever needed. insects are kept at bay with insect screens.

But it is freezing in winter because the insulation is zero and the house is full of holes...the japanese answer to the cold is to wear thick clothes in the winter, traditionally. which is pretty much what we do when visiting. it is a passive system but not comfy for all seasons. I guess what i would wonder is how to make it function better in winter without losing the benefits of the summer-time configuration.

my home in tokyo is also uninsulated. but tokyo is not life-threatening climate so that is not strange.

thanks for that link holz. i did see that one from link on your blog. i will need to do some studying.

Jul 18, 10 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

toaster,
the answer in many places is to locate the air barrier towards the interior and make the superinsulated wall diffuse open to the exterior. utilizing a rear-ventilated rainscreen is also a good idea regardless of environment.

there is less of a reliance on mech systems for heating in a passivhaus than a typical home. you need an HRV to supply fresh ventilation because the house isn't leaky like most buildings. but you can open the windows like any normal house. the HRV and ducting end up being really minimal.

if power goes out, you have the same issues a house powered by electric would have, but the insulation of the passivhaus would maintain heat longer, regardless if a window is cracked to provide ventilation.

i'm not saying it's the answer, i still have several things i struggle with, but in achieving 2030 goals or better - i don't see anything getting near it as quickly. at this point, there are significantly more passivhaus homes than LEED homes. to me, this says a lot.

jump,

your father-in-law's place sounds awesome. as to options for insulation? vacuum? ($$$)

when we lived in a concrete 'bunker' of an apartment in belgium (with no insulation) it would be absolutely freezing in winter. that's an enduring cold i will never forget.

Jul 18, 10 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

sounds the same things holz. my flat is 1960's 5 story walk-up a la the CIAM school. I love it but it is definitely an acquired taste.

getting back to the reglar chitchat of TC, i finish last lecture this wednesday then head to site for city inspection of most recent small project. It will be so nice to have time off from teaching for 2 months (school starts up again in october) but is kind of funny to be finishing up 2 jobs at same time. it would be nice to have one of them still going now i will have time to savor it. not that there isn't enough other stuff to do, but i quite like spending time on site and my partner has been getting all the fun this time around....

Jul 19, 10 5:41 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

newwwwww yorrrkkkkkk cittttyyyyy.

I'm really enjoying the "fashion district" which is rather gritty and run down.

Jul 19, 10 11:39 am  · 
 · 

morning all,

so this hasn't happened to me in a long while (1-2 years) but i just found out that somehow (guess i bought to much music last month) i overdrafted to the tune of 6 $38 fees. the irony is just two weeks ago i received a letter from my bank asking me (per some new regulations) whether i wanted to continue along their current overdraft procedures or to opt out and simply have my card declined.

Of course i went ahead and opted to just stay with the current procedure. That is until this morning. So i called them this morning and told them to opt me out.

Additionally, because (when I was unemployed a couple of years ago right after school) i have had this happen before there is no chance of a courtesy "we will wipe those off" from my bank.

So now i have like $300 buck to my name until next payday.

Ahhh perfect way to start a monday!

Jul 19, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 

nam, my husband recently went physically into his bank and asked them to remove the overdraft fees (around 300 bucks) or he was closing his account. They removed 80% of the fees to keep him - but he's leaving them shortly anyway because we both like my bank better!

It's criminal - mob-style money racket criminal - to charge people hundreds of dollars in overdrafts when they make a ten-twenty dollar or so mistake. My hero Elizabeth Warren has been fighting for regulations that would limit those actions. If you haven't heard Ms. Warren speak, go here - she's awesome.

Jul 19, 10 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

donna might be worth a try... Thanks.

As for Ms. Warren she is awesome i hear she is the top candidate for running the new (per the recently passed Fin reg reform bill) Consumer Protection Agency, which would be awesome.

Jul 19, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I had a client earlier this year pay me via a check issued on a State Backed Check. I deposited it and went and paid bills figuring it would clear the next business day. Problem was it, the person issuing the check did not see the tiny small box they needed to check which indicates the check is to pay a vendor. The check was issued out of one of the New York Bank Accounts so it came back to the bank as uncashable. So I had a slew of overdraft checks and when I called the bank I was given the telephone run around. So I went into the bank and spoke with the branch manager and told her I had been banking with her bank since I started my business. I explained why
I felt the check was good being issued by the State. So she wiped out all the overdrafts. Boy oh boy was I releaved.

Jul 19, 10 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

yeah - you won't get anywhere over the phone with bureaucracy.

Jul 19, 10 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I got my first ticket last friday, and after calling and getting the forms for Defensive Driving, I thought I'd just swing by my local city building and have the notary sign off on it. But she's gone! I don't know where she went, and the chick at the city desk acted like there never had been a notary. Shows what she knows, I'd had the lady sign off on two things before. Eff! Where the heck am I gonna find a free notary now?!

Jul 19, 10 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah, go to your bank....they will sign off and not charge you! I have done it more than once. Heck go get your notary license and make some scratch.

my favorite quote from and old time architectural draftIsman:

"My mom always told me I should become a Public Notary."

Jul 19, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

my wife used to be a notary... she worked in a mailboxes etc. in college and actually married two couples...

Jul 19, 10 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

speaking of passivhaus(es) splg?

Have you all seen this passive house in bessancourt by karawitz architecture via Designboom

Jul 19, 10 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Also, holz, et al, does the passivhaus label come simply from using a passivhaus certified designer or do you also have to get the end build certified/registered (a la LEED)???

Jul 19, 10 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

unicorn much of the houses I've lived in or worked on have been about cross ventilation. Mould is only allowed to grow in more stagnant air conditions. But again this is about passive systems.

5 days to Pecha Kucha NIght Kingston No. 1.... it's not too late to join the madness/fun

Jul 19, 10 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the correect plural would be passivhaeuser...

yes, it was billed on a few sites incorrectly as the first french passivhaus project.

it's a pretty interesting project. some of the comments are funny, and there do seem to be some instances of 'paraphrasing' other projects.

the thing that i find most annoying is the galvanized frame for the exterior screen. galvanized metal always looks like sh*t to me.

Jul 19, 10 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

you don't need a PHPP consultant to do a passivhaus. in fact, there are a couple firms here in seattle going that route. might be more of a struggle but it's not needed.

passivhaus cert. means that your house comes in @ 4.75kBTU/ft2/yr, 3rd party blower door test of 0.6ACH50 or better and total primary energy of 38.8kBTU/ft2/yr.

Jul 19, 10 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

btw, thanks for letting me go on (and on and on) about my passivhaus fetish lately...

Jul 19, 10 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I enjoy all the talk about passive house. Interesting stuff holz.

But sometimes... I wonder how much we'd reduce energy use if we simply had different expectations and views on what a comfortable temperature range is. Coincidentally or not, many of the memorable moments in my life in some way contained some sort of uncomfortable weather, or its that perfect temperature... outside. I have very few great memories in sterile, tightly controlled spaces. Maybe thats just a matter of circumstance, or I wonder if more uncomfortable temperatures act as additional stimuli to evoke memories. Random thought.

BTW, I'm trying really hard to not click on the inception thread. Its really tough.

And I should post more regularly. I think the semi-coherent rant on that architecture vs architectural engineering thread is a result of not posting regularly.

Jul 20, 10 1:32 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

slart: here is the cool thing about passivhaus.

you have to do modelling w/ set point temp of 68deg.

but when you lower it (e.g. sweaters) you move even closer to net zero.

i do worry about the 'thermos' effect a little tho.

Jul 20, 10 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thermos effect being when it stays cooler inside than outside in the winter cause it carries over the night coolness? My house does that sometimes.

And nam, that pic you posted is freaky. When was it built? I only ask because a guy who was a year ahead of me designed the exact same thing as that, minus the little entry box, in a rural house studio during school. I wonder now if he wasn't so clever, or if it's his, or well, I just wonder.

Do you ever feel yourself changing? Most of the time we tend to only notice change after the fact, but I'm actually aware of it this time. I feel like my fun side has been hidden since college - something about how I felt I needed to grow up and mature, and now it's starting to bubble back. Crazy.

Jul 20, 10 8:19 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah, How was your Wedding? Did you get any Flowers?

Jul 20, 10 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I am aware of changing... feel like I'm in the middle of an adult version of a growth spurt.

Jul 20, 10 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook the weddng was fun. I didn't get any flowers since im not elligible for the bouqet toss. The bride wore chuck taylors with her dress, the whole wedding party did. And I learned why emptying a keg is called floating. Duh.

Jul 20, 10 9:10 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I need a vacation. I'm burnt out.

Jul 20, 10 9:24 am  · 
 · 

toast i feel you. mine won't really be coming until Sept when i catch the Pavement reunion show in Atlanta. Can't wait for a long 4-5 day trip. Should be nice plan on going to see High museum (both original and expansion) which i have never visited before.

Holz, so there is a qualifying body you need to submit those test results to?

Sarah, i know what you mean. I have always though, felt very aware of my changing persona(s) and body. Lately (after hearing a recording of myself from when i was 12) i have begun to realize that I have always sort of been an old man in a young man's body. Always too realistic/practical (not pessimistic though). One of my goals for this year is to try and change that and to take more changes, do new things....

Morning all.

Jul 20, 10 9:36 am  · 
 · 

I'm enjoying being aware of how I'm changing, both physically and emotionally. I'm not crazy about catching a glimpse of myself in my rearview mirror and seeing how wrinkled and inelastic my skin is getting, but I'm loving the interior changes that come with the exterior collapse!

Speaking of lust (we weren't, but Brad Pitt was in my dream last night), I lust for this. Oh my goodness.

Jul 20, 10 9:53 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

thermos effect:
w/ a passivhaus, there is a possibility of living in a superinsulated house w/ 14" thick walls and a small amount of glazing. not necessarily, but it exists. one of the reasons werner sobek and my former bosses are not fans, is that you can achieve low-energy buildings through other means.

but you can also have well-glazed passivhaeuser, depending on orientation, climate, etc.

nam, the qualifying body this side of the pond is PHIUS.

Jul 20, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

pavement? renunion?

I'd be happy to take two weeks this fall, repair that giant hole in our kitchen ceiling and do yard work. I want to finally get my backyard serviceberry orchard going, set up some pear espaliers in the front, get rid of that f-ing yew (although it's nice to have an evergreen)... right now we only have a few tomato plants and some basil.

donna - that is nice. so - if you get it, you can fantasize about pitt chopping wood for it?

holz - I also really appreciate the passivehaus talk... fyi - if you haven't figured out by now, I'm also very into that sort of stuff.

Jul 20, 10 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Ohhhhh, toaster....now I'm distracted from work all over again......

Jul 20, 10 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Toast re: Pavement see here

Jul 20, 10 11:42 am  · 
 · 
copper_top

Donna, that fits so well with the photos of your house that you've shared. It's in perfect harmony with my image of your aesthetic.

Do you guys remember the hell-client I posted about a while back? Well we've reached a pause in the project that's the result of a deadline being met and lack of availability to meet and kick-off the next phase, and I think the next meeting's going to be a biggie. I'm going to tell them that if they want me to communicate in a formal manner, then they need to respond to formal communication (emails to work account) as or more readily than informal communication (IMs, quick chat's at lunch). I'm going to tell them that from here on out they need to keep in mind that they hired me for my design expertise, and they need to take better advantage of it; that they will be given fewer options from here on out in order to control the micromanagement, pick-and-choose-tiny-details approach they've fallen into and produce more cohesive results. And I'm going to tell them that I'm not even STARTING a piece of collateral until they've agreed upon the copy for it. No agreement about a business phone number? No business cards. No paragraph about what you do or sample menu? No website. I'm inspired, and it's time to lay down some guidelines to get this working smoother!

Jul 20, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Poor Abram has had a high (101-103) fever since last night. He feels great, but i'm taking him to the dr tomorow anyway.

Jul 20, 10 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Lay down the law, copper!

I need a good $7,000 fee project so I can buy that stove.

Jul 20, 10 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Quick, I need some help! Copper Top, where are you?

I am giving Husband a flask for our anniversary, and plan to use our media blaster to "etch" our wedding date on it. Thing is, I'm not 100 percent sure on the design. This is what I have so far...

Any reworks/input is welcome. I don't have much time.

Jul 20, 10 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ah hell.

Jul 20, 10 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Sonofa..

Jul 20, 10 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

is the border with the '2010' a part of the design or not? That part confuses me.

I would definitely not go with the one on the far right because of the way the 2006 reads: it's better to rotate a whole 'word' than to rotate the letters individually, and it's not immediately clear that that's a date you're talking about.

On the other two, the first thing that I'd fix is that you shouldn't stretch type to be wider or taller in proportion than it naturally is: instead pick a typeface that is already closer to the proportion you desire. For instance, Franklin Gothic Condensed or Compressed is naturally tall and skinny, whereas Arial or Helvetica are naturally wide.

Jul 20, 10 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Those borders are just the page. I set the page to be the size of the flask itself. I knew you were going to saythat about the stretching. I've only got until Thursday to get this done. Argh.

Jul 20, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Should I go with a classic type of font or something more machine like? I had it all worked out in my head, but now thatthe flask is here, and I'm sketching it out, it's not really working.

Jul 20, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Whoa!!! I just had a discussion with a fiscal conservation concerning the argument for deregulation (in theory) and it made perfect sense. As a historian though I would have to see the data that would prove it, but still. OMG!!! I was just mind fucked... What the hell?!?!?!

Jul 20, 10 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

oh yeah - it makes total sense because "consumers/shareholders would regulate by simply not buying whatever." however, it assumes that the consumer/shareholder is educated and not being lied to by the company (which requires independent investigative reporting - which under deregulation we would not have, nor would we have unbiased education) and completely ignores the fact that the government's role is to protect the consumer and shareholders because that's who they are supposed to represent (and they do a pretty decent job at it considering all the lobbying and under the table crap that goes on...).

our system is by no means perfect, but complete deregulation is scary shit. you'd think shareholders would be concerned about things like child labor or major environmental disasters - they aren't.

Jul 20, 10 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thank you toaster for putting me back on track. Like I said, I just experienced some good mind-fucking.

In other news I just discovered my bike has a flat. Now I have to go figure out how to change/fix it. :-/

Jul 20, 10 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: