Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

my grandfather was in the highlander regiment in wwII and i have a photo of him in his kilt and jacket before he went off to france to fight. for some reason they thought the kilt was not practical in actual combat, and he never wore one after returning to canada. probably not comfortable on a combine.

a scarf sounds cool to me sarah.

Apr 28, 10 9:55 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven
My partner definitely does not wear pleats any longer. Though I imagine they'll make a comeback!

old man pants will make a comeback?

Apr 28, 10 10:01 am  · 
 · 

got in very early this morning so that i could get a lot done before i .... go to the track! woo hoo! derby week!

since it's appropriate to the conversation, i'm wearing tan and white pinstriped pants (no, they don't quite qualify as seersucker), white shirt with very subtle striping (density of threads, not color change), blue tie with a variety of flowers arranged in a gridded pattern (very formal but spring-y), long-ish grey four button jacket, and black shoes/belt (see earlier post). also got my haircut yesterday in preparation for saturday's derby.

Apr 28, 10 10:48 am  · 
 · 

oh, and, yes, the pants are flat-front. always and only flat-front.

Apr 28, 10 10:51 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Sounds very sharp SW. I was actually thinking of you last evening when they talked about the derby on my local NPR station. Bow tie or regular tie? I don't know what it is but I've become partial to seersucker of late, especially for the warm weather months.

So I take it festivities have begun? What I wouldn't do to be able to experience the Derby in/on Millionaire's Row. Have a blast.

Apr 28, 10 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Steven, I must be confused, cause the outfit sounds mismatched to me. Can you post a picture? Please?

Apr 28, 10 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

congrats *M on the jacket! Looks good. Is that textile? And did you order it online or buy it from a store?

Apr 28, 10 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh, and is it something you can wear when it gets hot?

Apr 28, 10 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

sounds sweet SW!

While we are on the topic, I'm finding my designer wardrobe doesn't go over well in my new vocation (the language instruction gig). I am expected to dress like a teacher, where there is no room for fun fashion or anything remotely sexy - too distracting for the kids!

Apr 28, 10 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

And a general question... when you guys talk about being against pleated pants and for flat front (I remember some of you talking about this before too), you guys aren't also talking about being against the crease also, right?

Apr 28, 10 11:46 am  · 
 · 

are those pleated JEANS??? with a crease??? wow!

Apr 28, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Steven, I am certain you look smashing with your just-shy-of-seersucker trousers! But the important Derby Fashion question is: what kind of hat is your gorgeous wife wearing?!

Apr 28, 10 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Oh and melt I sure that jacket looks super-cool on you - tough and beautiful like Chrissie Hynde.

Apr 28, 10 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey fashionistas! where are the gppl charette entries?

Apr 28, 10 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Slart - it's textile. I know I should probably have gone with leather but I just couldn't afford it at this time. Not only that, but I'm strictly a warm weather rider and I know I would just cook in leather. Bought it online, there aren't really any motorcycle stores in the area. Just one really and their prices are outrageous. Hopefully it will fit, all the reviews said to buy one size up so that's what I did.

Donna check your email.

And SW - we really need to know about the hat. I mean, it IS the derby after all and it's all about the hats.

Apr 28, 10 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I haven't gotten archinect hate mail in soo long.

Apr 28, 10 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Yay! Cashed a ticket!

Apr 28, 10 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

creases in jeans are the signs of the apocalypse - you've been warned. In other news I do find that I have a weakness for tailored dress shirts - I don't like tucking them in though... I went to an all boys catholic school, I've had enough conformity to last a life time.

Apr 28, 10 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

i wish they made a coat to go with those jeans - that'd be classy.

oh - wait, that was the 70s.

Apr 28, 10 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

For some reason I don't entirely hate that outfit. Maybe it's the color combo.

I agree about creases in jeans, but dress pants should have a semi crease down the legs. I'm not talking khakis here, I'm talking suits and slacks. The crease creates a nicer fall and fit in the fabric. I think.

Oh, and Steven, I just heard that three of the derby horses are from my area! Bet on them; Texans are hard to beat. ;~)

Apr 28, 10 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Haggar Men's Work to Weekend Pleated Front Denim Pant
with Expandable waist

Apr 28, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

best i can do, sarah:

Apr 28, 10 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

well...

try here; first two pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archintentlouisville/

Apr 28, 10 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

snazzy! That Steven Ward is a sharp dresser!!

Apr 28, 10 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well as long as we're talking about men's pants, I feel I would be doing a disservice if I didn't post this video for about the 5th time.

Hardcore - Raunchy Tradesmen on the Job

Yes, I do have spring fever. No, this is NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

Apr 28, 10 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

thread central... postwhoring it up.

I have a bonafide real sit down interview in new york in like less than two weeks!

Anything especially important to see? Anything especially important to do?

Apr 29, 10 1:45 am  · 
 · 

Today's "Pegasus" parade day.

I'll give Sarah another mismatched description: brown pants; my grandfather's custom-tailored (for him, perfect fit for me!) white-ish jacket with threads of black, yellow, tan, and blue running through; mint green shirt.

Apr 29, 10 7:02 am  · 
 · 

Steven that tie is so gorgeous. Seriously, that's the best tie I've seen in a long, long time. I was wondering what you meant by flower grid and it's way better than I could have imagined.

vado won for best dressed last night at my house. The man can rock a pocket square. Greg Lynn did not show up, sadly, despite my and others' invites - he had an early flight.

Apr 29, 10 7:42 am  · 
 · 

agreed, that is a sweet tie steven...

dubK's video must be what it is like to go on a site visit when you work in a brothel!

Apr 29, 10 8:32 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Still alive...

Apr 29, 10 8:33 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Would you let this guy fly jets?

I'm still alive

Apr 29, 10 10:08 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

someone needs to resise this for me....HELP cause it is really funny.

Apr 29, 10 10:10 am  · 
 · 
****melt
Apr 29, 10 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

*m - My main jacket is textile AND mesh so I am in no position to criticize the textile over leather choice. In general, I think its good to have a tight fit, so I hope it fits you well. Which is why I like buying motorcycle gear in person now. But yeah, it really depends on your location - I happen to be within riding distance to Revzilla's headquarters and they sell great jackets by Rev'it. Ride safe!

Ugh, I think the starving artist in me has starved to death. I've been so stressed out about money issues lately.

Apr 29, 10 10:48 am  · 
 · 

morning all.

My mammoth book club post should be going up soon. It has been a long week.

Apr 29, 10 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

The picture is not what I envisioned at all, Steven. Thank you. And White jackets with brown pants always look so rich. And I agree about that tie. Very feminine, without being feminine. Are you wearing a hat as well? And you never did answer about your wife's hat.

Where has Vado been lately? He's never around. At least, not in here.

Abram slept all night last night, and when he awoke at 6:30 this morning, slept in my bed until 8:45! Boy do I feel rested!

Oh, and everybody must visit my blog today to check out an important GMO issue.

Apr 29, 10 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Sarah your link is broken?

But I have to say that ribbon bridal bouquet and the way you wrote about it makes me feel like on a deep fundamental level all is right with the world. So the bouquet is green, upholds loved cultural traditions, is beautiful, and gives me inner peace. Quite a lot for a bundle of ribbons ;-)

Apr 29, 10 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thanks, Donna, on both accounts.

Here's the fixed link. I won't try to be so fancy this time...

http://gettinby.wordpress.com/

Apr 29, 10 11:32 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, i USED to rock the pleated pants but, that was when i was really heavy. in fact, i have a great jones ny suit, black with pinstripes, that has pleated pants but that is a suit and you never see the front.

Apr 29, 10 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Theyre so high waisted! I just bought a bright blue dress for a wedding. Question is should I wear my bright blue stiletto shoes, or buy some nice nude pumps.

No, that isn't me.

Apr 29, 10 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

What strikes me as particularly something to be concerned about... is that Monsanto's GMO crops that are particularly expensive are all terminator crops. That is the plants are mostly sterile and inable to drop seed or flower for the most part.

But some of the crops (like alfalfa, corn and canola) that are high pollen, high output crops are not necessarily terminator crops despite being GMO.

It feels like Monsanto is playing dirty by protecting certain crops which intentionally spreading around their GMO genes in areas where a gust of wind or a bee can spread pollen like crazy. That would in turn make everyone in the area adjacent to the monsanto crop liablie for all sorts of lawsuits or losing their organic status.

Sad to say, the only way to beat Monsanto at its own game would be to bioengineer roundup-resistant pests. Anyone know a geneticist?

Apr 29, 10 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I signed the alfalfa petition a while back. I thought it was passed the dates, and that the court had already met. Maybe I'm just out of the loop. I hate Monsanto. I wonder if I can find a list of all their products. Obviously, I won't buy roundup anymore, but I wonder if they own other stuff too.

Apr 29, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I know Kraft Foods, General Mills, Kelloggs and a few others all use GMO based crops for their "foods."

Apr 29, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Unicorn, that comment almost made me spew my water all over the screen! Roundup resistant pests. Hah!

Apr 29, 10 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

goodness, this food talk is deep. I'm just focusing on eating stuff that is, in the more broad sense, good for me. You know, fruits & veggies = good, white bread and cake = bad. That level. Maybe in another year I'll be ready to consider food in this amount of detail?

Apr 29, 10 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

copper its hard even at that level.

there are all sorts of things wrong with GMO, from the actually GMO part to the legal fights over pollination to the fact that you can't keep your own seed etc...

Not saying they haven't helped to save millions of people by providing better access to commodity crops but still,

Sarah I really like the dress.

And tumbles it is probably just the way that photo is cropped but the legs look really long/high.

Apr 29, 10 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

tumbles what is the fat used for on the rind? sealant?

That meal sounds delicious and I have never even had duck. But the whole farm to table thing sounds awesome.

That would be one upside to the potential move to NC in the next year or two, they have a very large and active farm to table or farm to restaurant movement there. Although obvs there growing season is shorter than our in FL.

Apr 29, 10 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

oooh, I want some duck. The whole 'eating right' thing leaves me really hungry. It's a challenge, but I've discovered that the one thing that can throw everything off course for days is cookies. I can't seem to have just one, so for now they are banished from my life. :( Duck is probably ok though, right?

Apr 29, 10 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Oh I know tumbleweed. The problem with glyophosate isn't necessarily glyophosate.

RoundUp is not the chemical preparation it claims to be. It seems like Monsanto is adulterating the formula with other pesticides and chemicals. I think there was a few studies over in Europe (France and Sweden) that showed the generic RoundUp Ready crops were killed by generic applications of glyophosate-- i.e., RoundUp Ready crops aren't exactly what they are advertised.

And clarification-- wheat is relatively safe at the moment as it has yet to be "RoundUp" ready. But anything containing soybean flour, sorghum et cetera 'filler' flours are GM crops.

The only reason I'm advocating making RoundUp resistant weeds is that it would force a change in that GM crops would currently no longer need to be used, spread or grown.

It is a similar issue that has happened in America with the cotton industry. Cotton Bollworms (and others) became resistant to most of the pesticides used in cotton farming. As a result many operations shut down or relocated. However, it also forced many cotton farmers to produce more taditional and less chemical intensive methods of farming.

Apr 29, 10 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i made lentil sloppy joes the other night, it was good. i used to eat duck, chinatown duck in nyc, it was good too, and cheap.

Apr 29, 10 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: