Archinect
anchor

Name that Architect and Building!!!

a-f

Sorry about the delay (competition deadlines...) The office is ELLT, and the project is a crematory in Gävle, Sweden from 1954. One day I'll scan my own photos and post them for you.

Mar 26, 08 4:35 am  · 
 · 
simples

beautiful setting for that crematorium...hopefully the surrounding wall allows for some contemplative space as well...

Mar 26, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

wow not at all what i was thinking, very interesting, from what I can tell superb detailing, and definitely a timeless design... you have any more info on this project or ELLT a-f?

Mar 26, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 
SDR

1954 ? Could be brand new. . .?

Mar 26, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
a-f

ELLT are hardly known outside abroad, but produced some superb brutalist and modernist buildings from the 50's to the 70's. Forgotten, perhaps, because of their very rational approach often incorporating a lot of prefab elements (hardcore modernists had a hard time in Sweden in the 1970's). To my knowledge there are no monographs and little written about the office. I'll see if I can scan some photographs. In the meantime, here's another odd church they designed in Haparanda:

Mar 26, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

that looks like the beni hana in downtown atlanta

Mar 26, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

want to post another, a-f?

Mar 26, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

nah, too busy... sorry!

Mar 26, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

just to keep it going...

Mar 26, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

Very interesting detail at the stair base.

West Coast?

Mar 26, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i noticed that as well.

it's in the eu

Mar 26, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

Do you agree with me that the car passing on the second photo is driving on the left hand side?

UK?

Mar 26, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ie

Mar 26, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i know it's not, but it feels a bit like adjaye...i love those wood floors...

Mar 27, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké
odos

- private house at Thor Place

Mar 27, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

really nice work coming out of that office and a lot of the new(ish) firms in ie... would love to go back someday. maybe when the us dollar is stronger then monopoly money.

next, might be easy but here goes:

Mar 27, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The assembled wall sample presents a repeat of the natural (?) material which confuses the attempt to identify that material ! Interesting. . .

Mar 27, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

is this ortner + ortner?

Mar 27, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

indeed it is. the S.L.U.B., state library / university bibliothek in dresend. i really like these guys, it seems like they have a pretty good sense of humor too based on their site... back to holz

Mar 27, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yes yes, i thought i recognized it from my whirlwind tour of dresden...

nestled among some segal and mariscal proyectos...

Mar 27, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

san diego then?

Mar 27, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

genau

Mar 27, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i thought this would be easy. they make delicious treats

Mar 27, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

got me... if more people checked the thread i think it'd be known, where are all the cali 'nectors?

Mar 27, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

we need a red dot...

Mar 27, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

liberty bell suggested a few pages back that maybe we should start a second version of the thread to rekindle interest... that this one is too image heavy/long for people to check regularly.. thoughts? if only we had a jump to last page option in the main page...

or a red dot.

Mar 27, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Red dot, at least.

When I arrive at the thread, sometimes it's to page one instead of the last page. Then I have to fight my way to the bottom just to select the last page. Other times I get to the last page immediately.

I wish we (or the Boss) had the option to break the thread into more (shorter) pages to decrease download time. Who can say what is keeping others away. Perhaps many are lurking and enjoying ?

Mar 27, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
simples

is that bjork on the second image!?

Mar 27, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
rira

wierd, it's bizarre to see the house around the corner pop up - just happened with thor place for me

Mar 27, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Most of the time, I just don't know the answer, but I check this thread multiple times a day! 25 pages is a badge of honour.

Mar 27, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I'm always here, my favorite thread; though I never have the smarts to make an educated guess.

Mar 27, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, definitely lurking and enjoying here. there have only been one or two that i knew.

you gys (particularly holz and phuyaka) are too good!

Mar 27, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yup. It's da bomb.

[I guess coming here via the email notice gets me to the last page; it's moving from the site index that starts you at page one. Oh well.]

Mar 27, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

keeping it here would be nice. perhaps having a "hot" page would be ideal - i dunno how code for that works... but the last 20 posts in reverse order on the first (aka"hot") page - which would be the open/latest challenge.

i'm good at searching, that's about it. phu and p2an have been solid as well among others. i think part of it is so many mainstream projects have been flushed out that it's the lesser known projects that become such a challenge. but that's not a bad thing. perhaps the next step in the thread is a way to just post interesting projects that you find, including relevant info and a writeup?

anyway, that last project is in SD. the ellipses in the screen are supposed to represent the action of molecules during the cooking process. the architect is a canuck, and possibly even an ottowan.

Mar 27, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I've only known a few of the buildings offhand, like holz said, the rest i get from google searching. I like how long the thread has become too, the amount of firms in my bookmark list has tripled since this thread started and I'm pretty sure 90% of my posts have been here... it's a nice spot to steer clear of the grad school/political/whatever threads that are everywhere.

hopefully in the next phase (archinect.net?) the boards are a little easier to navigate, just a skip to last page (even at the top of the thread) would make navigation more tolerable.

and holz, i'm stumped on that one.

Mar 28, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

they make desserts...

Mar 28, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
smelly

karen krasne extraordinary desserts
jennifer luce

Mar 28, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

finally!

extraordinary? i guess i need to try some. must be nice to have a wine bar in your office.

Mar 28, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ugh never mind its a shop/eatery

Mar 28, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
smelly

next up....

Mar 28, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
smelly

if people are having trouble loading pages, going to the wrong one, etc it seems like the simplest solution would be for The Boss to stack comments from the bottom up rather than the top down so that the most recent is the first you see.

as for me, i usually remain a lurker because i don't have time to research and/or tend to a post after i have put it up.

Mar 28, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

smelly, that's gotta be rick joy, right?

Mar 28, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

no, it's a segal spin-off. a winery in mexico. very very nice.

Mar 28, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

just was a thread that popped up about him.. had never heard of him before

Mar 28, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
smelly

holz knows what it is

Mar 28, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

sebastian marsical - only reason I know this cause someone posted something on this firm a couple of days ago

Mar 28, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
smelly

ha - yes, i am a true lurker. i am in awe of the simplicity of the project.

you're up, cou2

Mar 28, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
cou2
Mar 28, 08 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

This one might be kinda easy - I haven't seen most of the pages in this thread - so hopefully no one has already posted this one.

Mar 28, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

this is british, isn't it? house for a birdwatcher?

Mar 28, 08 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: