Name that Architect and Building!!!

holz.box

whoops...

Apr 6, 08 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
simples

"gerner gerner plus", Leo Hillinger Winery

or...neubau weingut, leo hillinger, jois-bgld - gernergernerplus

the hillinger webpage actually has some photos of the building, nice description with link to the architects...must be a great client...

does anyone have anything else to post?! please go ahead..or i will come up w/ something as soon as i can...

Apr 7, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Alright - I'll post one

Apr 7, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
simples

cou2..that's a nice sharp concrete to glass detail in the first picture...i thought it was a house at first, but now i am thinking it might be a spa?

Apr 7, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

It's a house. They did an amazing job with the concrete and glass - in my opinion.

Apr 7, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

simples, it is a house in AT...

Apr 7, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

AT ?

Apr 7, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

AT - Austria

Apr 7, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Interesting contrast between the sharp angles and the more subtle ones - top pic shows this well.

Apr 7, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i thought those three doors were massage / spa rooms...the exterior setting seemed to work...i even imagined an attendant desk!!!

maybe my mind is trying to tell me something...

Apr 7, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

There is something really calming about it. The night shot is really interesting, though I don’t imagine it’s always glowing like that.

The glass door to the bathroom could be dangerous.

Apr 7, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
dia

baukultur
Büro für Architektur, Urbanismus & Kultur
Seifert House

Apr 7, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Link
Apr 7, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Apr 7, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think this is portuguese...

Apr 7, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

a. mateus
Casa no litoral, alentejano PT

Apr 7, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

this may be a repeat...

Apr 7, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yum. . .

Apr 7, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I love all the knots scattered around. What wood is that - spruce or something?

Apr 7, 08 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

shit! i know i've seen that one before holz, but i don't know where!

dammit, this is going to bug me for the rest of the evening...

Apr 7, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's chilean if that helps...

Apr 7, 08 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
simples

those flat white wall plates/switches are killing me...

Apr 8, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

that seems to be the one thing that always comes up.. after 27 pages of immaculate buildings, is switch covers and handrail brackets.

Apr 8, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Well, on the bright side, if that's all that's wrong with these buildings, aesthetically, we're in pretty good shape !

Apr 8, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

very true. we did a project at a woodshop i used to work at for a private residence that had a similar situation. we had a large closed off bookshelf/entertainment center that divided the space, and we (well, my boss) decided to recess the area around the switch at the corner to avoid a flush surface mount (like above):

i'm not sure if i was 100% sold on that solution either but I liked the detail.

Apr 8, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

you could of just made the electrical plate cover using the same material so that it was flush...disturbs me that people don't do that more often.

Apr 8, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

atp, not everyone is doing second homes in the carribean for brad pitt!

Apr 8, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

also by same firm...

Apr 8, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

aha!

now i 'member where i saw it.

it's casa ranón by ecosistema urbano

i don't have one to post yet, so if anyone else would like to go ahead, feel free!

Apr 8, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Apr 8, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Oh I know that supermarket. I think its by Guyer/Guigen

Apr 8, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Its in Switzlerland

Apr 8, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Helmut Reitter

Apr 8, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ahhhhh i've been there! Rainer Koberl and Astrid Tschapeller in Wenns

Apr 8, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Köberl & Tschapeller, mpreis wenns

Apr 8, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
fuck!

I thought i was going to get this one....sigh

Apr 8, 08 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ha... techno you post one i have a meeting anyways. i just tried to click "fuck" about 10 times thinking it was a link to something funny.

Apr 8, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

That's quite a piece, phuyaka. I like the "cornice" detail -- esp if it needed to be removable. What wood specie ?

I suppose the light-switch box might have been a *little* less recessed ? But a neat idea. I'm not sure if arch...philia means to make a thin wood faceplate, or to actually rout the panel, hold the box back, and place a truly flush (matching) plate. . .

Apr 8, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

actually i don't know what specie it was embarrassingly enough, but it was a veneered mdf panel. I was lucky enough have to move it up those stairs you can see in the first picture; it was constructed in four sections but was still pretty unbearable.

I agree it was recessed a bit too far, but if you look a little closer you can see that the line of the recess matches up with the line of the panel right before it turns the corner, but still it draws too much attention to itself. The coolest part about this was that there is a door to the mater bedroom at the stair landing in the first picture, completely hidden pivot door that ensured the privacy of the client.

who's got a building?

Apr 9, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks, p. . .an impressive work of furnitecture ? Huge. . .

Okay, try this:

Apr 9, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

man i love tree cut-outs... any more images SDR?

Apr 9, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

American, midwest, 1970

Apr 9, 08 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

A late work -- the architect's studio. Unusual construction technique

Apr 9, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

COOL DRAWINGS

Apr 9, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Okay -- he also did these, between 1933 and 1948

Apr 10, 08 2:28 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Apr 10, 08 2:30 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Student drawings (IIT) of the architect's designs

Brick slabs (! ?)

Apr 10, 08 2:40 am  · 
 · 
simples

SDR...i spent the last 20mins. looking for an architect's studio, completed in 1970, in the US (midwest, I am assuming IL from the IIT connection), designed by an early modern architect, who had practiced since the30's, who was initially influenced by wright, then possibly in the 50's developed a brick fetish, and cleaned up his style by the 70's...and i came up with absolutely nothing...where am i going wrong?!

Apr 10, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Alfred Caldwell

Apr 10, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Hey, simples -- well you pegged him right, of course. I don't know how one goes about searching, based on criteria like those -- but he's certainly obscure, in any event. The monograph is called "Architecture and Nature" (Basel: Birkhauser Verlag; 1984). He was an assistant to lansdcape master Jens Jensen at age 28, after an education at IIT, where he later taught (1944-59) with Mies and Hilberseimer -- which no doubt explains those brickwork drawings. He also taught at USC (1965-73). His "farmhouse" (last photo above, 1948) and studio are in Bristol, WI (extreme SE of state). Of the Wrightian early work he says "The buildings [1933 on] followed five years of self-education on architecture. The curriculum was Frank LLoyd Wright, studies were in absentia, and without any personal contact with the master. . .It is said that when Frank Lloyd Wright actually saw the buildings he was surprised and delighted. Genially he bestowed the rare compliment of claiming them -- at least in spirit -- as his own. It is a paternity that the buildings still fallaciously enjoy. Far and wide it is supposed that Frank Lloyd Wright built them. In one sense it is true."

What the Wright lover won't do. . .

Next ? cou2 ?

Apr 10, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: