Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

randomised

"I'm consistently annoyed by sanctimonious Europeans placing themselves on pedestals of decency, when you're all just as guilty of racism, misogyny, nationalism, and anti-immigrant sentiment. In fact the homogeneity of Europe is its own curse. You're taking issue with my use of "muther fucker" when done in a completely sarcastic tone is the epitome an intellectually flaccid argument. You then go on to quote song lyrics, while I quoted facts, and the woman herself. Yeah, I brought up your nationality, and called you a colonizer, ad hominim attacks, childish yes, hate speech? Absolute joke."

1. It's not sanctimonious if it's true. 

2. Europe isn't homogenous at all, get your facts straight, for once. Or just get facts, that would be at least something. Your fact-free ad hominem attacks are getting old.

3. Yes I'm taking offence with the fact you called someone a muther fucker, but more with the way you automatically attack anyone (me in this case) who calls out your rotten SJW tactics.

4. I quote song lyrics to counter your responses and I use the real facts, I don't care that Aretha held a grudge when not being considered the Queen or whatever, that was not the issue here at all. And you know it, because you keep making personal attacks to cover up your Trumpian acts.

5. Like I said, I don't think it is hate speech, I don't care for that, I think it is more ignorant speech, Trump speech, fact-free speech what you display here.

6. Absolute joke, yes you are, for all to see!

7. (intentionally left blank)

Nov 6, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

rememberImage may contain: text

Nov 6, 18 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

because it's clearly Del Taco

Nov 6, 18 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Minions Mic Drop GIF

· 
Non Sequitur

Tintt replied while I was editing my clearly fantastic minion gif above.... and my first comment got kicked-out of the taco bell chain.

· 
randomised

!

Nov 6, 18 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

I'm thinking Archinect should send the student rendering outsource thread to the deans of all US architecture schools.

Nov 7, 18 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just wait another day or two (or at least until RickyB wakes up). It's pretty damn good.

Nov 7, 18 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Agreed, hope it will go viral.

Nov 8, 18 2:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why is that DC? I don't want some junior wanker's parents emailing me just because I called their lazy snowflake lazy with fraudulent portfolio.

Nov 8, 18 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

That thread has 146 comments?! No way I'm moderating that.

Nov 8, 18 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, the water is just fine there. Take a dip.

Nov 8, 18 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

There's nothing that needs to be moderated in that thread, it's all very civil actually.

Nov 9, 18 4:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I do have to say, it is quite good. The dead horse is still alive it seems and both sides of the coin are being argued. Reads very much like my Guinness filled graduate student days in the pub.

Nov 9, 18 7:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

3 - 5/32"  Fuck you ex-employee who thought this was a reasonable dimension to put on a drawing... going to be a long day.

Nov 8, 18 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Archicore

Clean dimensions was the first thing I learnt when I got a job. Even before that, it was just common sense.

Seems they must have outsourced common logic...

Nov 8, 18 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ha. Outsourced. But yes, clean dimensions are a must. It's nearly impossible to train discipline to the fresh grads. I guess maybe their parents can pay someone else to do their professional work too?

Nov 8, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Archicore

Bill the ex-employees parents hourly for the time you spent cleaning up their mess, basically the same thing.

Nov 8, 18 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's brilliant.

Nov 8, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I thought igloos were in metric. Or is that only for commercial igloos and residential igloos are in freedom units.

Nov 8, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Rusty, yes, metric is king here because we like things to be clean and proper... except for this particular repeat client who required imperial drawings... and when it's a $18 million igloo, you listen to what the client wants however dumb it is.

Nov 8, 18 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

I'm going to start outsourcing my posts on Archinect.

Nov 8, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm available, and my rates are reasonable. For an extra charge, I can ratchet up (or down) the profanity.

Nov 8, 18 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

@#%*?!

Nov 9, 18 8:48 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

trade wars work?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...

Nov 9, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Nope. RE speculation. Tariffs are paid for by US citizens via increased prices.

Also - as previously discussed under an affordable housing thread somewhere - the US has a large inventory of unoccupied housing units, percentage-wise not far from what that article claims about China.

Nov 9, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Nope. RE speculation. Tariffs are paid for by US citizens via increased prices.

Nov 9, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

irony doesn't translate here; what do you think will happen if those 50 million empty homes default? could it trigger a financial debacle worldwide?

Nov 9, 18 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

We've got far bigger problems than that. No irony intended, just a byproduct of reality.

Nov 9, 18 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah yes OMA's LACMA 1:1, especially the incense holder ;)

Nov 10, 18 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

the thing with the sticks

Nov 11, 18 6:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

that's also a good reference, yes :)

Nov 12, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Props to RickyB for that drawing thread.  

Nov 10, 18 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've been working on and off on a renovation of a Hugh Stubbins tower for almost 2 years.

The more I dig into it the more I respect his work. I was not a fan at first but he's winning me over with each little revealed secret.

Nov 12, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I worked on some portions of an Edward Durell Stone tower and had a similar experience. Went from "what an idiot, what the hell were these old guys thinking?" to a deep respect for the work and methods.

Nov 12, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

These two posts made me smile. Thank you, peers.

Nov 12, 18 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks Donna! Makes me think the way to run a firm would be to start youngins on interiors, working up to renovations, then ground up. Always under tutelage of course. Doing the renovation work is so instructive. It's like in the field Beaux-Arts style training.

Nov 12, 18 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Great subtopic.  My campus office for the last few years was in a Stone academic complex that I mocked when I was a student here decades ago. While it's far from perfect, the building I was in has a very clear logic and organization, and even symbolism. It didn't make me a huge fan of his, but certainly gave me some respect for the work.

Similarly, the firm did some renovation work on a Pereira building years back --another one we had mocked as smug architecture students back in the day.  But after walking all over that building during design, and poring over the original drawings, I came to really admire it.

Nov 13, 18 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

anyone working in a small (3 people) firm that does only high end residential?, I have a question

Nov 13, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

and your question is ... ?

Nov 13, 18 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Is it always a roller coaster? How do you ride it?

Nov 13, 18 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Strap in good and scream away the anxiety during the really stressful parts.

Nov 14, 18 1:01 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what's stressful is to have your hours cut in half because the boss is lollygagging and not getting any more work for the winter - can't leave because of a big house in construction, but dying at half capacity. what a bullshit.

Nov 14, 18 10:30 am  · 
 · 

I'm bragging here: I had dinner with Frida Escobedo last night. She's absolutely lovely and smart and we had a great (but too brief due to the noisy restaurant) talk about David Alfaro Siqueiros's whitewashed murals - she designed his home/studio museum.

Nov 17, 18 10:19 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Nice, Donna. And that's not bragging, it's only a little innocuous name-dropping ;o]

Nov 17, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"Thanks for the Memories."  "Hasta la vista!"  "See ya, suckers!"  "You're not gonna have this guy to kick (or post anonymously) around anymore."  "Adios, muchachos!"

Nov 17, 18 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

[keeps posting anyway, without no break whatsoever]

Nov 17, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

...with no break whatsoever. Annoying typo (but nothing else, alas) eradicated.

Nov 19, 18 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

What's wrong with this picture?

Nov 19, 18 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Nothing, really. I'm wishing they would simply vanish instead of reminding me of why I clicked the little ignore button.

Nov 20, 18 11:49 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Poor kid, still trying to be king of the school yard.

Nov 20, 18 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen a YAGE. Most people can usually last a couple days.

Nov 19, 18 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Had to look it up

Nov 20, 18 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Yeah, it’s the sort of thing 12 year olds did 20 years ago.

Nov 20, 18 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Just laugh. It feels good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMujPu-beoQ
Nov 20, 18 8:08 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

couldn't resist 

Nov 20, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I think it's fascinating watching DC become RB Jr.

Nov 20, 18 11:48 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm sad that you're sad. Sad.

Nov 20, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

They grow up so fast.

Nov 21, 18 2:37 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 22, 18 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanksgiving was last month.

Nov 22, 18 11:20 am  · 
 · 

That's dressing rehearsal

Nov 23, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

The podcast for this week may or may not be titled Thanksgiving Maximalist, which is a phrase our guest used. I'm doing a one-woman Thanksgiving preparation this year, as my husband is busy the entire four-day weekend doing this:

Speaking of maximalism!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Nov 22, 18 11:36 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Happy Thanksgiving, Donna and everyone...

^ Nice ride, btw!

Nov 22, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That'll look rad on your miata.

Nov 22, 18 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Existing plans from the 90's with the main walls off-kilter. The angle is noted in the CD's as 10.672 degrees. The 90's were wild times. 

Nov 23, 18 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

In plan? Possibly aligning with a property line? 

Probably not, knowing those wacky 'Nineties!

Nov 23, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

no, not aligning with a property line.

Nov 23, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The 90s were fucking awesome!

pearl-jam

Nov 23, 18 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Nov 27, 18 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If the print on the shirt on the guy on the right was more angular, that would describe the building. Migraine inducing.

Nov 29, 18 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Hey Regulars, can we turn down the snark a little bit please? Most of the comments to that poor author looking for help on a story are a bit over the top, don’t you think?
Nov 27, 18 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What post are you referring to?

Nov 27, 18 8:28 am  · 
 · 
The author asking what material is on a building so she could use the description in her story. Non, you tried to answer seriously, but most of the other comments are just jerky.
Nov 27, 18 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah. We have a few clients who just love using back-painted glass and aluminum frames in-lieu of stucco or metal siding. Figured I had an easy answer.

Nov 27, 18 9:18 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I really didn't feel I was making a jerky response. As an author you have the ability to make up things when you write a story, the power of invention and creativity. How's that jerky?

Nov 27, 18 9:31 am  · 
 · 

I think the snark is the result of a steady decline in the quality of threads posted, the blatant stupidity of many of the questions, the sense of entitlement with which they are posted, the daily spam quotient,  necroposting (which is becoming more interesting and entertaining than the new material), the ironic absurdity of the profession, and the scorched earth political climate (take no prisoners). Not to mention grandstanding stupidity by some members, which grows less and less entertaining over time.

If Archinect threads were color-coded my panel would be almost all red.

Nov 27, 18 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like the habitat 67 article from yesterday. Just not at my desk much this week to contribute more than a thumbs up remark.

Nov 27, 18 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sent from the back of an Uber, in a snow storm.

Nov 27, 18 9:35 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I take your general point, Donna, and agree with some of Miles's possibilities.

I write a lot of snarky responses, then delete most of them before posting.  It doesn't seem that this would work, but it does help me get some tartness out of my system.  The ones that make it "on the air"?  Sometimes I just can't help myself.

And the occasional case of some innocent wandering on here without entitlement but only curiosity, only to be eviscerated like a victim of Hannibal Lecter?  That does make me feel bad.

Nov 27, 18 9:43 am  · 
 · 

DC is the Archinect Zombie. 4 new threads today, all of them utterly
without reason or meaning. I've ignored him but his shit still floats to
the top. Time for another Archinect holiday.

Adios, amigos.

Nov 28, 18 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Here is some tough love, David, but I'm with Miles.  Please don't read this in an angry voice, but just a tired and depressed one: I've barely been checking in to the forums lately and honestly a lot of it has to do with the constant bullshit you are posting. It's not interesting. It's all very personal and no matter what anyone posts in response you take offense. And if someone asks an innocent question you are at the front of the line to respond with criticism of them, too. It's all exhausting and so negative. So I'm just checking out, mostly. You're not the only negative one on here, and heaven knows I'm often negative too - but the quantity you've been posting lately is becoming overwhelming.

Nov 28, 18 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

DC you do realize that if architects refused to build anything but highly experimental modernism the construction and real estate industry wouldn’t grind to a halt and not know how to build anything unless they bent to those “visionaries” wills. They’d just build more of the same crap without you. It would actually probably be a more efficient system...of building crap.

Nov 28, 18 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Few of us care what you do DC, so the feeling is mutual.

Nov 29, 18 7:39 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

NCARB: Who's David Curtis?

State Boards: Who's David Curtis?

Marin County: Who's David Curtis?

AIA: Who's David Curtis?

Archinect: *sigh*

Nov 29, 18 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

SneakyPete this post made me laugh a lot. *chef fingertip kiss* Perfect.

Nov 29, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

I'll throw in my agreement with Miles and Donna. 

Can we put a limit on certain users; 10-20 posts per day ... minimum 15-30 minutes between posts? Maybe a progressive scale. First 10 can be as quickly as you want them, then a cooling off period (2 hours) before you can post the next 10 with a minimum 30-minute period between posts with a maximum of 20 per day. 

Nov 29, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
randomised

There's a forum in NL that has people personally moderate and approve each post.

Nov 29, 18 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

And obviously I'm banned from there...

Nov 30, 18 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

don’t mean to intrude here, but I hope a mod or someone from Archinect realizes there’s going to be a surge in spam accounts because of David Curtis. One was already removed. Please find a way of controlling his pointless ramblings

Nov 29, 18 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"Please find a way of controlling his pointless ramblings"
You mean like meds or therapy?

Nov 29, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

Maybe a straightjacket so he can’t use a keyboard

Nov 29, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I don't know, I didn't mind his posts really. You don't have to click on those threads and you can ignore people if necessary. If he were anon he would now have vanished for ever, at least he's still out there somewhere.

Nov 29, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Agreed, pretty frustrating. I come to Archinect to blow off steam, read silly shit, and occasionally trade comments/ barbs/ jovial insults with the other users, and DC, like RB before him, adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Nov 29, 18 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I have a really hard time believing that DC was real. There’s no way there could be someone so seemingly childish, ignorant with such huge illusions of grandeur. But then you realize there’s an internet footprint of random things in the news and YouTube videos and it hits you.....this person really exists. Terrifying.

Nov 29, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

There definitely appears to be some real imbalance there. Didn't he recently get married to someone with kids? I worry about their well-being. His, too, by the way... he's got some problems that a license ain't gonna fix.

Nov 29, 18 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

He promised to rearrange my face if he ever met me. A very lovely fella.

Nov 29, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

guys he just landed a 200M project!!

Nov 29, 18 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

He never specified that it was 200m USD. Could be pesos or whatever.

Nov 29, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

My guess is 200 M&M’s

Nov 29, 18 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wait, wouldn't 100 M&Ms = 200M? I'm so confused!

Nov 29, 18 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

OK, so: I didn't directly cause DC to be banned but perhaps my post above had something to do with it - I (and Miles, and others) voiced my frustrations, and someone listened, it seems.

But here is the responsibility that comes along with speaking up: now that I've complained about the lack of quality in those posts (among others), it's my responsibility to step up and supply quality content to the Forum. And it is all of y'alls, too. Everyone commenting here that they're happy/relieved/unsurprised at DC being gone: let's all contribute to good, thoughtful commentary (and quality funny snarky comebacks, too), please?

I'll start by starting a thread (or maybe bumping one) on a project I like a lot - but later today, after I finish writing the petitioner's statement I need for a zoning meeting tomorrow (ah, the glamourous life of an architect).

Nov 29, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Internet has changed so much in the last decade or so. I remember being very anti censorship at some point. But in this orange year of 2018, I think we need as much censorship as we can get. Shit is spiraling out of control and nonsense is drowning out all sensibility. Web 2.0 was a colossal mistake. We demand this thread be deleted as well. CENSORSHIP CENSORSHIP!!

Nov 29, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hear hear!

(edit: to Donna, not Rusty)

Nov 29, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Rude! I demand that user tduds be deleted pronto.

Nov 29, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ramen to that Donna.

Nov 29, 18 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

Thanks god that retard DC is gone. I've been reading more this forum lately and he was definitely the most annoying person

Nov 29, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

No need to use the word "retard"I don't think he was actually developmentally disabled (as my sister is), but I suppose you never know. I can think of a raft of better insults, hopefully in the future you take the time to also - just as you wouldn't call an uncool or effeminate person a "fag" in this enlightened age.

Nov 29, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

On a positive note, he'll have more time to get his license.

Nov 29, 18 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

hardly, he keeps going on twitter.

Nov 29, 18 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

He's got that 200 million dollar project, so nope, he will not be taking any ARE's for the next 19 years!

Nov 29, 18 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

His Twitter is burning up.

Nov 29, 18 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

It is for the best the thread on petitioning the California state board was removed.  That was a complete embarrassment, made him look totally incompetent.  Not a great idea to make all of that correspondence/draft letters/rants/etc. public.  Those are the actions and behavior of a completely unstable individual.  As others have said, he better hope a client doesn't come across that nonsense and now the twitter apparently...which I think is even more accessible by a google search by name.  

Nov 29, 18 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

He’s called out Miles and Donna by name on Twitter and labeled us all sheeps. Don’t think anyone has ever lost an argument when using sheep in that way. So fresh and clever.

Nov 29, 18 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

You saw that, Non? Something about a pigeon?! I blocked him.

Nov 29, 18 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yeah, Ricky B has a screen shit in the other thread. DC is copy-pasting all our comments on his Twitter now.

Nov 29, 18 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The irony of him calling folks out for being anon and then pulling this sorta shit is gold.

Nov 29, 18 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

And that's why we need anon posting :)

Nov 30, 18 6:12 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

For fuck's sake, Rick. At most forums when someone is banned continuing to bait the behavior that got the person banned usually ends up with a second ban. Please stop.

Nov 29, 18 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

FFS indeed. DC blocks RB from Twitter, then continues to respond to everything RB posts to Archinect in reponse to DC tweets. Trolls feeding trolls.

Nov 29, 18 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Classic Rick.

Nov 30, 18 9:37 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Again, having a hard time believing he’s real. Slamming everyone here as fascists and censoring him. Yet it seemed he tried to forcefully shut down anyone with a slightly different opinion by threatening lawsuits, stalking or physically attacking. Then found a note to the editor of some Marin newspaper about his wife on the city council trying to stop a public vote on the Dixie school name becuase the public couldn’t be trusted to make the right decisions. Jesus these people are real....It’s like Fox New’s stereotype of San Francisco liberals they try to create for Trump supporters actually incarnate. How.....

Nov 29, 18 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I was looking forward to the letter demanding NCARB shut down and apologize for the multiple ARE failures.

Nov 29, 18 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

Got an apologetic email from A'nect with a link to DC's insanity in other venues. Anyway, now that he's gone my A'nect holiday is over.

Although I might not be around much in the next week or so - I've got a huge show coming up at SCOPE Miami, shipped off 30 pieces today.

Any 'necter's near South Beach next week, if you somehow manage to get in touch I'll put you on the 'will call' list for free entry.

Nov 29, 18 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Miles, I'm in Miami next week. I'll pm you!

Nov 30, 18 12:17 am  · 
 · 

Congrats on the exhibit, Miles! Oops, also: which gallery are you with there? I want to see the work!

Nov 30, 18 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, I trust you'll be showcasing that sweet light-switch front and centre?

Nov 30, 18 10:20 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

pardon my ignorance what is an anon?

Nov 29, 18 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Anonymous

Nov 29, 18 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

why are MEP engineers always on vacation?  And why do they go on vacation at critical project milestones? One of the great mysteries of the universe. 

Nov 30, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

no, they set their vacation schedule as soon as you send them your project schedule.

Dec 1, 18 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Anybody else getting harassing email from David Curtis? If he keeps this shit up his lawyer wife is going to be busy.

Nov 30, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My inbox is clean. 8-)

Nov 30, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And THAT'S why we have anon accounts!

Nov 30, 18 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^ Yup.

Nov 30, 18 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I know a lot of folks who've lived in a certain, gorgeous condo housing development over the years.  They all have stories about one nightmare of a fellow-owner who made things hell for the board and other residents for years.  The behavior they describe sounds eerily and frighteningly similar.

As annoying as all this has been online... can you imagine living nearby, or being part of the same committee?

Nov 30, 18 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I’m more amazed/perplexed at how such person can afford to live such places. You’d think such behavior would eventually impact employability.

Nov 30, 18 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Why I'll never live anywhere with an HOA.

Nov 30, 18 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I recently received a letter from the HOA about how I should water my lawn more often. Watering is restricted by ordinance to one hour per week...

Nov 30, 18 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

He was a lawyer, apparently. Shocking, I know.

Nov 30, 18 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

You don't have to imagine, you can read about it here.

Nov 30, 18 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

A couple of trust funders with lots of time, money and psychoses to indulge would be my guess.

Nov 30, 18 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

The Revit is capable of every task you do and can ever dream of.  The Revit rejects all skepticism of its capabilities.  The Revit does not take kindly to former adherents who question its omnipotence. The Revit rejects the use of all other software that is not the Revit. You must only converse with users of the Revit - claims that other software might be better for certain things is blasphemous. If you want to do something within the Revit that you did in other software it is either "not possible and has never been possible" or "you must change how you do things."  The Revit is the solution to all the problems you will ever face.

Do not offend the Revit.  The Revit is all powerful. 

Nov 30, 18 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The revit is a bitch and it is my bitch.

Dec 1, 18 7:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

as long as revit is someone else's problem, it's a manageable problem

Dec 1, 18 9:00 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

another raise today - 90k

up 30k in the past 3 years, bubbles never happen right?

Dec 3, 18 10:29 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

If you don't mind answering, what level are you at/ yrs experience? I've gained about 25k over 4 years, but feel like i'm probably underpaid in this current bubbly environment.

Dec 3, 18 10:34 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

metro Detroit area, BS in 2007, M.Arch in 2012. license in 2015. Was stuck in the 60k range for a long time. How about you?

Dec 3, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Shell, I'm nearly at the same impasse. Made similar request just a few weeks ago and received a very evasive answer (a no would have been better). Will be taking a hard look at the market during the holiday break.

Dec 3, 18 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

m.arch in 2010, license in 2016 (first few years were really tough to get on my feet with the shit economy). At 75k right now in Chicago and feeling pretty damn underpaid.

Dec 3, 18 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I hear you arch... I remember telling my wife that I felt I might never make much over 75 in 2016. I work 45 hrs a week tho, which I think is more than Non... I haven't had an in person interview with the firm that is talking 100k, that should be in the next few weeks

Dec 3, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Shell, my average is 42hr/week.... but those are canadian hours, so, more like 35 USD hours. 8-)

Dec 3, 18 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Shit, I just calculated my average a couple weeks ago. Around 65 hours/ week averaged over my employment history here.

Dec 3, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

holy shit! that amount of work would kill me! my number includes the straight time that I get for work over 40, otherwise it be a little under 80k

Dec 3, 18 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I flatlined around 72k 2014-2016. Graduated in 2011 so felt pretty well compensated and then slowly less so. I jumped ship from a place that cussed you out everyday to relaxed firm so that was part of the stagnation but just felt as though

Dec 3, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

getting into +80k range was where unless you really proved yourself or had clients that wanted to work with just you, you’d get cut in a recession. I work about 45-50hrs a week in CM, it’s flexible and way better paid. There’s also perks around every corner i.e. “you aren’t using your gas card for road trips!?”

Dec 3, 18 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

"...had clients that wanted to work with just you, you’d get cut in a recession." This has always been my fear of moving to other firms for better compensation during the busy times, archi_dude. I have generally worked for firms that I really like, and get along with.

Dec 3, 18 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

There is definitely value in longevity that’s for sure Donna.

Dec 3, 18 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Wow 100k! You kidding me!? Where do I sign up!!!! Man I am getting hosed!!!!

Dec 3, 18 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I have a friend at the government runned liquor store making more money than me!!

Dec 3, 18 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Selling to architects, no doubt.

Dec 3, 18 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

60hr weeks on avantage, yeah, I’m above $100k usd easy if I’d pull that kind of time. But I don’t, because there are important things than the office.

Dec 4, 18 6:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*there are more.

Dec 4, 18 6:21 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I make over
six figures. Graduated with an MArch in 2015. Licensed in 2017. Work about 50 hours a week.

Dec 4, 18 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jla, what do you mean, you don't want to come home at 9pm every night? Plenty of time then to spend your billions of architecture dollars!

Dec 4, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

What type of firms you guys working at!?!?

Dec 4, 18 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I can't imagine working that much, have a wife and 2 young
kids, she'd kill me. Only way I can hit 45 is by reviewing submittals at home when everyone else is asleep. I generally refuse to work weekends

Dec 4, 18 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

My firm does a mix of industrial, commercial, and municipal, about 30 people here

Dec 4, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Axon, are you in a high cost-of-loving city?

Dec 4, 18 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I work at a "high-profile" firm. We like the smell of our own farts. Probably why I don't make as much as I could.

Dec 4, 18 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

i count the time I’m answering email at 6

Dec 4, 18 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

6am. I also usually put in a few hours on the weekends and a couple hours at night after kids bedtimes. I’m not doing much production work, and am in a lot of meetings, so it can be easy to get up to 50-60 hours a week.

Dec 4, 18 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I'm over six figures; 45 hour week. Welcome to the dark side of doing forensics, construction admin & peer review (and occasional deposition) instead of design. My employer is also a engineering firm.

Dec 4, 18 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I am in a high cost of living city.

Dec 4, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Mightyaa, that sounds (excuse the pun) mighty good. Go work for WJE or JensenHughes looking at other people's mistakes
, billing for time in court, and traveling

Dec 4, 18 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I also moved up really quickly because there was a lot of churn the past few years due to people looking for more lucrative positions elsewhere. They basically threw me into CA and I did
really well.

Dec 4, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jla, no argument from me on that. I was mostly responding to the others above claiming top dollar salaries but work 50% more hours I do.

Dec 4, 18 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

yup... my household income has been pretty consistent for years. As my salary increases wife cuts her hours...

Dec 5, 18 9:04 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

The sweet spot has always been the 5-8 years of experience.  Below or above that, you'll get screwed.  Basically they want a minon who doesn't need hand-holding, but also lacks the experience to run the show.

Dec 4, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

spot on, I'm at crossroads now with 25 yrs of experience and facing a retiring boss - lots of thinking to come.

Dec 4, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

It's a tough spot JLC. Do they have a good transition plan already underway?

Dec 4, 18 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Hah, no - won't bother you with details, but the latest conversation with my boss was the most vague I've had with anyone ever, he asks me, What do you think will happen with this company? we are 2 employees and him!! ; it's like he wants all his "problems" to vanish by not addressing them, I think I will move (company and town) once my youngest go to college next fall. I'm willing to take a pay cut but not to become a revit monkey.

Dec 4, 18 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

they didn't offer for you to take over the business? That has been a pretty consistent carrot never to come to reality from my past employers...

Dec 4, 18 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I have no interest in paying him a life pension in exchange for a name.

Dec 4, 18 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Sounds like one of those then that just stops taking on jobs and closes the door when the last one is submitted. Sucks... I could introduce you to the dark arts of forensics & peer review; probably a pay raise from what you are used to as well... Pro's; good pay, interesting to see how buildings fail. Con's; no creation or design and you are dealing with shattered dreams, attornies, and some of the dumbest things our industry produces which will corrupt your soul and outlook on humanity... (most of what you'll report on stem from not giving a f'k, stupidity, a complete lack of understanding how gravity and water works, more stupidity, casual idiocracy and greed).

Dec 4, 18 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I know forensics from a side, helped drawing the correct flashing details for several resort cabins in california and then the same architect was hired to report on defects in my own condo complex. Thanks but no thanks. Also seen some shady associations btw forensic archs. and lawyers - it's amazing how people are afraid of what they don't know and can be forced to act against themselves. But that's a different story.

Dec 4, 18 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'd love to know the name of the firm, just for the giggles.

Dec 4, 18 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I used to work for an engineer who did forensics. I thought it was a lot of fun. Didn't get too deep into it though so what do I know.

I work part time and make a decent amount. No bennies however. 

Dec 4, 18 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Six figures isn't all that much considering housing prices. I don't know how people do it.

Dec 4, 18 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

i Don’t know how people can afford to buy in my neighborhood. Most recent place a few houses up sold for 700k more than what we paid for our single family - and it was part of a duplex! If it weren’t for the cost of childcare we’d be doing really well.

Dec 4, 18 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

How most afford is like you might... Your house is now worth a lot more than you owe. So, you take that equity and use it as the downpayment on the next house ... and so on. The first time buyers or transplants from a cheap housing region to a expensive one are the ones who are screwed. They'll probably have to downgrade. Put your architect skills to work on your house changing stuff using what you know will sell well, which will increase your home's value a lot more than joe smoe slapping on paint and cheap carpet. You'll also have a better eye than most in being able to spot "good bones" on houses others would overlook or be turned off by because you know about what it will take to change that stuff. And you'll avoid some bad houses that have telltale signs of issues...

Dec 4, 18 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

David Curtis‏ @dc_us 11h11 hours ago

Paul Petrunia, Archinect decided ad revenue is more important than having ethics.

This is still going on? Such dedication... if only those powers were used for something constructive... like writing his architecture exams.

Dec 4, 18 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Withdrawal of archinect is quite tough.

Dec 5, 18 6:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Must be. Maybe he should start a AA group.

Dec 5, 18 7:34 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Archinects Anonymous... ?

Dec 5, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: