Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Hey Jersey: You guys remember this place?

http://mentalfloss.com/article...

May 23, 18 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Heard about this today. I always wanted to go as a kid, deathtraps and youth, but always too poor to get there.

May 23, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

bumping this up out of boredom

May 29, 18 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mini NS turns 2 tomorrow.

May 30, 18 9:14 am  · 
 · 

You getting him a T square, or does he already have one?

May 30, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do large blocky wax crayons and a white roll of paper count? We got a local woodworker to custom make a toddler helper stand that converts to a drawing table... so that's a start.

May 30, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Tell him you can't afford to feed him. That might innoculate him against any thoughts in his teens about becoming an architect.

May 30, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Geezer, I can afford to feed him just fine.

May 30, 18 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

grats non.

May 30, 18 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Curt and Trek, don’t you have some bad skylight to detail? Granted the kid came very close to not having any shot at any future in the first place, he’s now doing fantastic.

May 31, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

no bad skylight details here. i am thinking about putting an expansion joint in a concrete deck under a swimming pool. seemed like a good idea at the time.

May 31, 18 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You’re right Trek, this place is more suited for seeking pedestrian detailing advice for mediocre projects and poor attempts at insulting one’s family.

Jun 1, 18 6:20 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

NS: Not saying you can't. Only suggesting it's never too early to steer the little ankle biter away from potential disasters of life.

Jun 1, 18 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Geezer, I figured that much. He is pretty bittey.

Jun 1, 18 8:04 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

A budding dentist.

Jun 1, 18 8:09 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

What's a t square? Is that like a special mouse that connects to an ipad and helps kids draft?

Jun 2, 18 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

1) This Weezer cover of Africa is damn good.

2) Unemployment is fun.

May 31, 18 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Funemployment?

Jun 1, 18 6:13 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Touche', tintt. 

That's a great spin.

Jun 3, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So, I often get emails from high-school kids looking for advice on Canadian universities.  I tend to typically reply in a helpful but critical way so that they don't go in blind.  I get one email today asking some good questions to which I reply in great honest detail only to have their email bounce back.... wanker used a disposable email to sign up to archinect.  Too bad, now they won't get the information and advice.

Jun 3, 18 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

information request was legit and sincere. Oh well, Kid should have used a real email.

Jun 4, 18 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Funny one today. Met a woman (through my wife) who wants to do some work on her south of the highway house here in Paradise. Property probably worth >$10m. The only reason I was even thinking about this was to funnel work to a couple people I know who could use it.

Had a nice meeting, told her she needed a plan and that the prices she was getting were useless without one, which she seemed to understand. Two hours later the woman texts my wife and says "my caretaker told me your husband is famous and really expensive, so oh well".

Meanwhile the caretaker is lining up kickbacks from his pals who will try to bleed her dry. LOL A great reminder of why I'm doing what I'm doing and not doing what I'm not.

Jun 3, 18 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Perfect illustration of why I don't advocate for young people joining this profession.

Jun 3, 18 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, you should have signed her boobs like a rock star.

Jun 4, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 

My wife gets annoyed when I do that, and she was standing right there.

Jun 4, 18 9:24 am  · 
 · 

Anyone else listen to the last two episodes of Criminal

Jun 4, 18 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I am trying to not say something snotty on that thread of the guy who wants to stamp something. It really is amazing how people just don't get the most basic stuff. The ego is a scary thing.

Jun 5, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

See Balkins' attempt at explaining Canadian building code law to me in the Norway thread.

Jun 5, 18 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

no thanks

Jun 5, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ah, come on. The water is just fine. Jump in.

Jun 5, 18 10:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Go ahead, it might teach someone something, or not...

Jun 5, 18 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Arrogance don't learn! I'm confident about that.

Jun 5, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

But there are more people reading this.

Jun 5, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, if anyone wants to practice in BC, ricky B has a clear step by step plan all ready for you.

Jun 5, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

tell me who you're with, and I will tell you .....https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/0...

Jun 7, 18 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

fascinating

Jun 7, 18 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

What the fuck Anthony?

Jun 8, 18 11:49 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I used to idolize him, had all his books; until he got involved with asia. I hope we know more later.

Jun 8, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

whaaaaaaaat?

Jun 8, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Now I won't be getting any work done today

Jun 8, 18 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

But let's not forget Kate Spade...

Jun 8, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^off course not.

Jun 8, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I read kitchen confidential without knowing anything about the guy, rocked my world at the time. I can't understand why some people feel the need to end it all, it's a terrible thing.

Jun 8, 18 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^ I found a book called "Gone Bamboo" in a thrift shop, best spy novel I've read ever.

Jun 8, 18 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Not sure why who he was dating would change your opinion of him if nothing else prior had...

Jun 8, 18 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

figure it out

Jun 8, 18 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

You're Harvey Weinstein?

Jun 8, 18 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sure, why not.

Jun 8, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

0_o

Jun 8, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Lay down the luudes, applepie.

Jun 9, 18 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

^^ used to think the same thing about suicide but been on the caregiving side of dementia... not sure I would want to put my family through that? Course... by the time I find out... might be too late for me to do anything about it except shit myself and slowly slip into oblivion...

Jun 8, 18 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Pretty big raise today and a promotion coming, turns out they like it you bring in a $10 mill. job.  Better to be lucky than good I guess

Jun 8, 18 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

usually people think you're good when they trust you with 10 million. maybe imposter syndrome?

Jun 8, 18 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

$10m in construction cost or $10m in fee?

Jun 8, 18 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Maybe a little imposter syndrome, but I'll manage. 10 mill construction cost, we couldnt handle a 10 mill fee project!

Jun 9, 18 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

And I'm no longer unemployed. 

Jun 9, 18 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

That was quick!

Jun 13, 18 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

yo wsup im at 3rd year and want to open my own firm when ill get license on what you advice to focus until ill get all those hours and diploma and pass the exam and all that

Jun 10, 18 4:45 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My advice is to learn reading, writing, and speaking skills along with architecture skills.

Jun 10, 18 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

robin williams hello GIF

Jun 10, 18 10:51 am  · 
 · 

I want that guy to design my building.

Jun 10, 18 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
archischnect

@tintt thank you. ​ @Miles Jaffe sure, after maybe ten years. But you are quite go od architect by your self, so maybe that's not necessary...:)

Jun 10, 18 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

HI TC:

Jeepers. I've been SO seriously snowed under at work that I just realized I haven't checked TC in a week! I have lots of stories I could tell about one of my clients who is currently jerking me around, but since I'm not anonymous here I won't tell all. Most of my clients are lovely, but one in particular lately is demanding WAY too much.

Hope all are well. I'm headed to AIA Conference 2018 in NYC next week! If anyone wants an Archinect meetup let's do it!

Jun 13, 18 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm getting jerked around too. With increased temperatures comes increased crazy. Any AIA members care to share how the AIA suggests handling unpaid invoices? Can they help with collections?

Jun 14, 18 8:54 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'll join if I get help.

Jun 14, 18 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Vinnie and Guido show up at your door if your AIA dues are late. Oh, wait, you mean YOUR collections.

Jun 14, 18 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Common misunderstanding.

Jun 14, 18 10:27 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Go to their office with a lead pipe and break their knee caps while dressed up as your favorite building so that you can't be identified. Oh, wait, looking like a cross between the Tin Man and the Disney theater might give the cops a clue.

Jun 14, 18 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I am reading a book for general contractors. It has a section called 'architect'. Any guesses as to what it says about architects?

Jun 14, 18 11:20 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

That we are a good place to dump the blame if anything goes wrong?

Jun 14, 18 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's the topic of the book. That and how to squeeze water from dry pinecones. This section has sentences like architects are... architects are educated by.... Architect training is... Business is an unfortunate reality for architects. Architects don't do the boring parts cause it's inconvenient. They are artists that must behave like lawyers (and can't/don't get it/lambs to the slaughter). It's saying architects are too dense to know that they are basically lawyers. But the AIA says we are artists!

Jun 14, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And yes, that is explicitly said in the next section, where in the past designers and contractors worked together to deliver a nice product for the owner that is no longer the case. Now, everything is an opportunity to get $$$. (paraphrased) Nice guys no more.

Jun 14, 18 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

On a conference call today with contractor, client, me the contractor told the client "Donna has been great to work with." I blushed.

Jun 14, 18 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
https://jezebel.com/surprise-brad-pitt-is-single-and-that-ted-talking-mit-1826827259

Seems Brad and Neri are not really dating. There are some funny-sad comments on this article about that notorious assholes architecture academics tend to be, tho!
Jun 15, 18 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Brad's not married, but you are (in case you forgot).

Jun 15, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That's one awesome url :)

Jun 15, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"...we cannot wait to read PageSix in a few weeks and learn about Carl Icahn’s angry, desperate attempts to spitefully seduce Neri Oxman."

Jun 16, 18 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

on other fun news, had a HOA meeting last night where the "board" invited a couple of lawyers....according to them, we have some construction defects (I sunk in my chair and didn't breathe - all of what they presented is deeply flawed and based on "feelings") and oh, surprise, the statute of limitations is running out in 6 months so you better hire us! I will vote NO, and I'm compiling some useful data to convince some other people to stay away from the sharks.

Jun 15, 18 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

It's likely that the scumbags are petitioning board members individually for support. You should consider doing the same to suss out their positions and make your case.

Jun 15, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

there were many construction professionals in the room, the message to the board was - come back with a expert assessment, a proposed solution and a cost, plus we haven't heard from the developer or the GC (they may very well agree to fix the issues on their dime), so until all of that happens, there's no free lunch for the suits.

Jun 15, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

do the developer and GC still exist in the form that built the development? What data are you compiling? I've always been curious about condo lawsuits.

Jun 18, 18 10:27 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I will tell you more after thursday, yes, developer and 2 gc's in good health; I don't know about the data, apparently we hired a forensic architect and he's been observing for 3 years - but it's all so subjective at this point "it looks bad" "shoulda been built better" and my main apprehension in hiring lawyers is you are frozen in time until the lawsuit is settled, meaning you can't sell or refi. in who knows how many years.

Jun 18, 18 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Hi TC,

How do you all feel about an architectural engineer hanging out on this forum?  I joined back in 2014 thinking I would pursue an MArch after graduating with my AE degree, but I shifted gears and did a masters in Civil Engineering instead.  I love architecture, but I decided I'd enjoy it better from an adjacent position.  I just graduated yesterday, am about to start working as a structural engineer in an AE firm, and would like to stick around and un-anonomize myself. 

Jun 15, 18 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Congrats! and welcome back...

Jun 15, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Of course!!! And congrats!

Jun 15, 18 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sounds fun!

Jun 15, 18 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Perfect. Looking forward to value engineering your posts.

Jun 15, 18 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks everyone! Likewise, Miles.

Jun 15, 18 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Do we allow people who haven't prostrated themselves before the Mother God Architecture?

Jun 20, 18 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"Photometrics"

Jun 15, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Penises!

Jun 16, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and congrats to canada today! will salute at 4:20.

Jun 20, 18 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...in 8 to 12 weeks, but yes, it passed today.

Jun 20, 18 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Selling my Labatt stock now.

Jun 20, 18 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

why Miles, it will only go up....

Jun 20, 18 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and things are being torn apart.....

Jun 20, 18 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

email of the day:

Message: How are you doing? My name is Thomas Jeff from SC. I actually observed my wife has been viewing your website on my laptop and i guess she likes your piece of work, I'm also impressed to have seen your different piece of works too, : ) You are doing an amazing job. I would like to receive more information about your piece of artwork and what inspires you. I am very much interested in the purchase of the piece of art (in subject field above) to surprise my wife. Kindly reply for the availability for immediate sales. Thanks and blessing, Thomas.

Jun 23, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I would like to wire the money into your account, so I need your account number and also your Social Security number, for identification purposes only. Or, if you would prefer, I will send you a cashier's check for the amount plus $10,000 for postage, and you can wire back the difference when you find out the postal charges.  Interested?

Jun 23, 18 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Never ever trust someone with two first names.....there aliens or bots.

Jun 24, 18 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Licking my sores these days.  A project Ten year in the works, headed south after being toasted by a Historical District Commission, based upon the loose guide lines of the National Park Service for Historic Preservation.  The project ended up in court client against historic commission.  It was a Federal  Rupla case, and went directly into the State Federal court system. It  ended up being appealed and went to the Circuit Court of Appeals, then was tossed back to the State Federal Court, because the Judges reviewing the case thought it should have been decided in the lower court.  it was decided in a most awkward manner,  in what I thought was the end of the Case.   The Court  requested Attorney Fees from the Client attorneys and cost incurred by the Client. Judge slashed the fees in half of what was requested. Then the case took a real weird turn, Defendants attorney is appealing the Judges decision on fees to the Appeals Court, cause they are in disagreement with the award amount and feel it should be less.  So here I sit after ten years and a multiple legal twist and turns and millions of dollars spent  on attorney fees by both sides of the case  and I sit being unpaid for our work.  The client j sees us as dead wood in the process.  "The defendant,"  hired  an architectural firm to do a down sized redesign years ago  The judge agreed to certain aspects of the design so the client presented this design back to the historic commission for approval, because the historic commission said it would be acceptable to them during the court proceedings. The commission approved the revised plan so the client can proceed.  Like I said licking my sores these days.  

Jun 24, 18 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

______ is all I can say.

Jun 24, 18 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

When a sub-thread turns into a dumpster fire...

Jun 24, 18 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Marc, what did you expect? It’s too tentalizing for sir Ricky Balkanicho but in his mild defense, the Meh2018 wanker did set a the dumpster aflame first.

Jun 25, 18 8:06 am  · 
 · 

yeah, it was a non-productive combination to say the least
, that’s why I had to stop. I might jump back in.

Jun 25, 18 8:57 am  · 
 · 

That thread was doomed from the start. I have purposefully avoided it. There is nothing to be gained there.

Jun 25, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My inbox is angry at me for tossing in one casual reply early.

Jun 25, 18 9:08 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

https://www.reviewjournal.com/... 

Was it you, David Curtis?

Jun 27, 18 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

vegas is a weird place

Jun 27, 18 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Hahaha, It didn't.

Jun 27, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

lizard people....I lived in Phoenix for a year, they all have fried eggs for brains.

Jun 28, 18 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"Redd Foxx had a house with a public drinking fountain at the street corner."

That's pretty awesome.

Jun 28, 18 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this is cute..https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-sc...

Jun 28, 18 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ONLY 32c?

Jun 28, 18 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

a lot more behind that titanium?

Jun 28, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I guess that's true. I hope they put in some probes and see how hot it got.

Jun 28, 18 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

I'm guessing you would call this a roof screen?

Jul 2, 18 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Something seems odd on the Forum? Lots of old threads popping up.

I’m at the beach with my extended family. Good lord did I need this break!!! Only 48 hours into it and I’m realizing I’ve been waaaaay overstressed lately. Time with the people in my life who matter the most, next to the ocean, with margaritas.....exactly what the doctor ordered!
Jul 2, 18 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sounds like fun. Being with family is just about the most stressful thing I can think of, however. My family is so hateful, controlling, and chaotic that we haven't seen them in years. Literally, doctor's orders. And the social workers.

Jul 2, 18 10:15 am  · 
 · 
proto

enjoy those margaritas (& the time w/ the fam )

Jul 2, 18 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
proto

an early happy 4th to the usa'ians and a belated happy canuckistan day to our friends to the north!

Jul 2, 18 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Woot woot

Jul 3, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 

We live in the Age of Entitlement.

Jul 2, 18 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the balkinization of entitlements

Jul 2, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

construction looks fine, but I'm not sure how the smooth cladding works in LA. https://www.archdaily.com/8974...

I'd think it gets all runny with soot, right?

Jul 3, 18 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

The mallow cup production facility (read: confectionary factory) is just close enough, and you can get a case of rejects for $5.

So why not in pound cake?

Granted, the technique might need some work.

Jul 3, 18 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Sections....I love cross sections.....mmmmmm/

Jul 7, 18 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Latest Archinect soap action: the RickShaw bromance. 

Jul 4, 18 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We know Steve Buschemi is set on playing Ricky... but who do we get to play Shaw?

Jul 4, 18 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Jar-Jar Binks. Michael Cera if Jar-Jar isn't available.

Jul 4, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

jeff goldbloom

Jul 4, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

little bit of useless trivia. jeff goldbloom and steve buscemi worked together on the move "vibes" with cyndi lauper in 1988. i wonder if they worked together as well as RB and shaw?

Jul 4, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Goldbloom isn't whiny and annoying enough. Maybe Matthew Broderick.

Jul 4, 18 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

May God bless you Miles. I wish you the very best, in all things. I think I didn't respond to you well before, and for that, I hope you will accept my apology. You have a lot to offer others, and must be an extremely talented and gifted person. You obviously care deeply, and I believe that you probably are very generous in helping others professionally and otherwise.

Jul 4, 18 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about Matt Damon? He's probably got some time for this project?

Jul 4, 18 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

+++ Shaw. Whether you are sincere or not. Now please post a picture so we can finish casting your character.

Jul 4, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

Sincere, Miles. I do believe that about you. It took me a minute to see where you were coming from. By the way, I think im in good company with Charlton Heston and Stephen Boyd on your idea (was proposed for the 59' Ben Hur). So I'm Charlton Heston - that's cool.

Jul 4, 18 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Apparently Charlton Heston narrated Armageddon, which had Steve buscemi in it, so they've worked together too. We'll get some Shaw voice overs while Steve buscemi acts out RB's dumpster fires. Owen Wilson, nominated above, was also in it.

Jul 4, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

LOL - didn't know Heston narrated that one, or I missed that. I did recognize him in cameo in the remake of Planet of the Apes.....they'll never beat the original version, or two......

Jul 4, 18 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

You don't get to pick, that's up to us. Owen Wilson but he might be a good pick. I can't stand him.

Jul 4, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Shaw

I'm with you on Owen - that remake of Starsky and Hutch was so bad. David Soul very vocal about it.

Jul 4, 18 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Who plays Miles?

Jul 4, 18 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Doh

Jul 4, 18 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Homer?

Jul 5, 18 1:04 am  · 
 · 

Maybe with a wig.

Jul 5, 18 8:35 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Pierce brosnan.  Obviously Sean Connery for NS

Jul 4, 18 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Obviously.

Jul 4, 18 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Makes sense.

Jul 4, 18 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've got sandra bullock for tintt, and robin williams for donna

Jul 4, 18 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

Clooney. This was already decided at the coffee shop. tintt could be played by Jennifer Lawrence. Bruce Willis would play Sir Chrissy.

Jul 4, 18 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

um. david curtis's cameo can be played by johnny depp.

Jul 4, 18 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Wow. I was thinking Velma from Scooby-Doo.

Jul 5, 18 1:06 am  · 
 · 

Boom. Just got curtkram's casting for Donna. 

John Forsythe, the unseen boss from Charlie's Angles, could be curtkram, who never appears on set.

Jul 5, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 

I don't get it? But I feel flattered to be compared to Robin Williams in any way so I'm fine with it?

Jul 7, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 

Mrs. Doubtfire.

Jul 7, 18 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

New word to describe the desired architecture: non-douchey. I like this client! Now we know what comes after po-po-mo! Non-douche!

Jul 5, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

i'm sure he gave you an example of douchey? care to share?

Jul 5, 18 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No, no example given. Sorry.

Jul 5, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Aww, can YOU give an example? I think I know but i"m not positive.

Jul 5, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'll see what I can find. Why?

Jul 5, 18 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

anyone watching this world cup... freakin' amazing so far. Belgium with a population of 11 million just beat powerhouse brasil 2-1 to advance to the semi finals.

Uruguay, population 3 million made it to the quarter finals and lost today to France.

Why does the US still suck at this game? I don't get it. Although I do have a theory.

Jul 6, 18 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Our office's bandwith has been compromised since the WC started.  Streaming 2 games on multiple stations does that.  We resulted in using our boardroom to stream instead.

Jul 6, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I wish barry sanders would have been a soccer player... could have been best ever!!! Maybe in a different dimension... or EA Sports!

Jul 6, 18 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's called football!

Jul 7, 18 6:38 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I've seen more flops than the Duke basketball team makes. These guys kiss the grass once and roll around like they are mortally injured. I would hate to see them even try baseball: "You want me to SLIDE into home plate?"

Jul 7, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

A direct kick from a foul can be a dangerous scoring opportunity. This incentivizes players to draw fouls. Additionally, the fouling player can be penalized depending on severity, including ejection. Unfortunately there are some that take it way too far... cough... neymar.. cough cough...

Jul 7, 18 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I'm a little disappointed in the semi finals... all 4 teams from europe... rest of the tournament was amazing.

Jul 7, 18 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Yes, it's called Football. And this is a real world championship.

Jul 8, 18 9:47 am  · 
 · 
randomised

world series? usa&can series ;) but yes great world cup indeed, hope the Red Devils will win this one.

Jul 8, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Why does the US still suck at this game?

The US has always struggled with the concept of un-armed conflict.

Jul 10, 18 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

For reasons I can't state yet I just went back to TC page 1168 and reread it. We were having a lot more fun back then!

Serious talk: things are hard right now. The current state of politics has people angry and sad and overwhelmed. I'm seeing a therapist now, and it's helping. If anyone is really feeling down or like they might be at a breaking point please find someone to talk to, a professional or a trusted friend over beers or anything in between. Solidarity among smart people is necessary.

And/or listen to the Sessions on mental health.    https://archinect.com/news/art...

Jul 9, 18 9:14 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I agree, Donna. I hope people are finding the help they need. Personally, we've instituted a rule in the house - no talking about politics (or consuming of news in any form) starting the hour before bed or within an hour of waking up - has helped tremendously with getting better sleep.

Jul 9, 18 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Restrict

Jul 9, 18 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Stupid iPhone. Restrict or eliminate 'news' media from your diet. All it does is make you stressed and miserable. And for the most part it's all propaganda or bullshit. Trust me - you will be much happier focusing on your own life and community and
exerting your energy there.

Jul 9, 18 10:34 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Reasons you can't state yet? Let's guess: are you moving to Rwanda?

Jul 9, 18 11:04 am  · 
 · 

I am not moving. Good guess, tho.

Jul 9, 18 11:42 am  · 
 · 

thatsthat, that's a good rule.

Jul 9, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
randomised

My OCD self had to look it up, this page? https://archinect.com/forum/thread/33434/thread-central/58350

What was more fun back then? The Rick B dumpster fires or the fact that Miles was offline (and being missed)? Never mind, none of my business, sorry for the interruption.

Jul 9, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Aww, you guys missed me. How sweet! I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy. 

Must be the Tequila.

Jul 9, 18 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

thread central bibliomancy?

Jul 9, 18 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

It's not tequila, Miles, it's gin. I'm into gin right now because 1. it's summer and 2. I'm too broke to buy new booze and I have a bottle of Tanqueray in the pantry. But yyyyeeesss I'm glad you came back! ;-)

Jul 9, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Wait, that's :-) not ;-)

Jul 9, 18 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gin is great.

Jul 9, 18 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would like gin therapy. Is that what it is?

Jul 10, 18 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Tequila therapy is much better. 1 Tequila, 2 Tequila, 3 Tequila, floor.

Jul 10, 18 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Well sign me up.

Jul 10, 18 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

have you seen a job ad with no way to apply? https://archinect.com/jobs/ent...

Jul 9, 18 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

You lookin' for a job JL?

Jul 9, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

not at the moment, I always look at the job ads as a way to predict the short term future.....

Jul 9, 18 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

archinect just put the "apply now" button on that one....

Jul 9, 18 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

JLC-1 I forwarded the post to the Big Green Head. Got fixed.

Jul 9, 18 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

I can't talk about the TC page 1168 because it relates to a committee I'm serving on. But all will be made public soon. I'm very, very conflicted about it.

I watched Ladybird tonight. OMG. Being the parent of a teenager is incredible and hard and beautiful. 

Jul 9, 18 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

International Forum on Leadership in Design for the Autism Crisis Practice Advisory Resolutions Committee? (InFLiD ACPARC)

Jul 9, 18 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

That's a fantastic movie. How do you get to page 1168? I gave up after 25 clicks on the back arrow

Jul 10, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

50 posts per page, 1168 pages = 50*1168=58400, so go to https://archinect.com/forum/thread/33434/thread-central/58400 and go one page back apparently, voila!

Jul 10, 18 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

There's a link in a post a few above this one. Or, just change the "62600" in this page's address to "58350".

Jul 10, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Thanks!

Jul 10, 18 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Yep, now I'm curious too, Is it about africa, rwanda, international work or just an intervention to stop balkins from being balkins? ( isn't it a bit sad that this forum always ends up on balkins?)

Jul 10, 18 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Today we got our c-section officially scheduled. If all goes well, in just under 2 weeks we will become a family of four. Huzzah!
Jul 10, 18 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

As far as I can tell scheduled csections are the way to go, congrats!!!

Jul 10, 18 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You don't want to run every red light screaming profanities on the way to the hospital at midnight? Ok then, congrats!

Jul 10, 18 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Donna, re your post above about the state of the world--one thing that weirdly really helps me is thinking about all the many many many fucked up things that make up the pantheon of human history and how basically, all of time prior to this point was pretty shitty. And even with ALL that has been going on lately, we STILL are living in the best time on earth. Especially if you're a woman. It's even, still, the best time to be alive in America. Dunno why that makes me feel better but it does.
Jul 10, 18 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Me too, I think the only reason any one is ever nostalgic for the past is poor memory or knowledge of how shitty life was even 10 years ago

Jul 10, 18 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Ok, I'll bite jla-x, with this phrase on the abstract - "we should look at things like climate change and nuclear war as problems to be solved, not apocalypses in waiting. " - right there is he just delusional or is it that the lecture is 3 months old? the western educated population might have more and better things than in the past, but that makes for what? a 5% of the world population? it's true that malaria and tb are almost gone, but ebola and cholera pop up every 4 years with thousands of deaths and a devastating and lasting effect to those countries; a little closer to home, the ninth ward in NOLA is still in shambles 13 years after katrina. And to make it short, who is now looking at climate change and nuclear arsenal? the very best, right? with a clear path to find a solution, maybe drilling all those ugly national monuments will do the trick, stay positive my friends!

Jul 11, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I'm sure he addresses it, he's a smart guy; what I'm saying is, there are very powerful and unbound forces and people at the moment trying to avoid progress at all costs, for their own short term benefit, and in fact trying to set back any improvements to climate and nuclear escalation 60 years, that's all - I know progress is not linear, but boy they're making convoluted. I have hope in the next generation, not anybody currently playing.

Jul 11, 18 11:52 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

And media is skewing nothing, the problem is everything has the same value in the screen, all of the bad comes together with the good - in old newspapers, kilie jenner would have been buried in page 8 only for the teens that would look for it.

Jul 11, 18 11:55 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

one of my older son best friend just killed himself, 22 yrs old. I'm so tired of all this bullshit we keep dealing with, just so a handful of old fucktards can have a yatch and teenage models to suck their dicks. this is gonna end very bad soon. excuse my language, I'm still in shock.

Jul 12, 18 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

JLC... I... shit man. Sorry.

Jul 12, 18 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

Jul 12, 18 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Thanks, glad i have this space to vent, this hit too close for comfort.

Jul 13, 18 12:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mini Non-Sequitur now has a contagious and painful ailment that will force him to be quarantined at home for the foreseeable future... likely to be at least a week.  All could have been prevented had our friends stayed home with their kid who they knew was sick instead of coming over and spreading germs all over our house and his toys... also would have helped had they not subscribed to non-nonsensical "natural" bullshit.  Now the wife and I are forced to rework vacation plans to keep him indoors and away from daycare.   

Damn people and their superstitions.  They should have at least realized our little one is at risk given his history and weight.  

/rant over

go croatia.

Jul 11, 18 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Aargh! I hate people who knowingly let their sick kids go places and touch things.

I have a compromised immune system due to medications I'm taking, and there's a guy in my office who brings his child to work whenever the child is too sick for the school to accept him, and the place where he parks the child is about 6 feet from my desk.  I'm not sure how to address this, since if I complain about it to the kid's parent or to HR but don't tell them about my health issue then I'll seem like a whiner who doesn't understand the pressures on working parents, but if I do tell them about my health then I'll be seen as sick, which might be translated into not dependable.

Jul 11, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oie, that's rough. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation.

Jul 11, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

non, mind your language, LOL.

Jul 11, 18 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Never!

Jul 11, 18 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Forever more they should be Non-friends.

Jul 11, 18 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, they are still both intern archs and approaching 35y old (maybe over)... so that's punishment enough.

Jul 11, 18 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Interns at 35 ... you running a slave labor camp?

Jul 11, 18 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, those friends don’t work in my office.

Jul 11, 18 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Correct Chris, it's slave labour here... and also does not exist unless you're dumb enough to accept the rare unpaid gig.

Jul 11, 18 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

do you see clams?

https://archinect.com/firms/pr...

Jul 12, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

so it's a duck.

Jul 12, 18 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Both clams and duck. It's a cluck.

Jul 14, 18 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
So I’m home today taking care of the little one and just witnessed at least two cops rush into the house in front of mine and arrest some dude. Then 5 min after, an ambulance shows up and blocks my drive way.
Jul 13, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

geez

Jul 13, 18 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe it’s that Jackson kiddo attempting to file harassment. Charges on me. Aw teenagers. Situation seems to have cleared up now.

Jul 13, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sounds like an O.D.?

Jul 13, 18 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Methinks it was a domestic issue. The man arrested was released and asked to drive away. No one left in the ambulance. At least no one was shot

Jul 14, 18 10:00 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Koyaanisqatsi is even on YouTube, so no excuses :) https://youtu.be/i4MXPIpj5sA

Jul 14, 18 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i kind of hate phillip glass

Jul 14, 18 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i am not familiar enough with deadmau5 to have an opinion on them.

Jul 14, 18 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Your periodic reminder that a lot of architects (or designers) who call themselves "builders" or "makers" or "fabricators" or whatever don't actually know the first thing about how to build a building and that "design+build" doesn't actually mean that the architect (or designer) is out there swingin' a damn hammer.  

Jul 16, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but being an architect and having the ability to swing a hammer does help.

Jul 16, 18 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

I mean, "swing a hammer" can be taken somewhat metaphorically. It might be pounding nails, it might be pouring concrete, it might be operating a crane. I'm not very good at any of those things (though I did use a table saw and power drill to build a chicken perch last weekend - the chickens love it!) but at least I'm smart enough to not go on about how "I built that building" when all I did was envision it then draw the CDs.

Jul 16, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Jul 16, 18 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

https://media.gettyimages.com/...

Jul 16, 18 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you randomised! Mmmmm......

Jul 16, 18 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are those sandales acceptable in a construction site?

Jul 16, 18 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

no osha in india.

Jul 17, 18 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Looks like Brad is moving up - from a toy hammer to a rubber mallet.

Jul 17, 18 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: