Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

toasteroven

online tool to assess your solar panel potential - just Boston and DC right now... but I'm guessing they'll start expanding to other cities.

Sep 17, 14 11:54 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Finally got to chi-town. Living in a building designed by Mies. Interiors by Studio Gang. I feel all grown up. My first week and i have two deadlines already. Woooooooooo! Party.

Sep 17, 14 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
That's great archanonymous, good for you. Hope you continue to like your new job.
Sep 18, 14 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Great, archanonymous! Nice to hear good news from people. In my world, irrational co-workers and petty inter-departmental battles continue, but the work I'm doing with PUP and AIA are super rewarding.

This English Foundation Trailstop designed by PUP (not me, though I was on the design team) is 95% complete! Photos soon.

I'm giving a talk at the IN-KY Regional AIA Convention on emerging professionals and the loosening of NCARB's IDP requirements.

And Naptown is moving ever closer to building the nation's first all-electric Bus Rapid Transit system, which will be easy walking distance from my house. PDF of the first segment here - you can catch a glimpse of one of the bus shelters I designed on page 3 of the presentation.

Onward, grasping at optimism.

Sep 18, 14 10:04 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

One thing that strikes me about these proposed BRT lines in the more auto-centric cities is just how low the projected daily ridership is - for example - indy's BRT projections are only 10-12k for the entire 28-mile long stretch (even more astonishing to me is the current daily ridership is under 40k for the entire system)... I hope that it helps to spur development along this corridor... but you guys have a really long way to go...

this is the question I have - how do we deal with changing transportation needs in vast medium-density sprawl?  TOD can't be the only answer...

Sep 18, 14 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

What is TOD?

Yes we have a terrible, starved, barely functioning transit system currently.  I'm excited for BRT as a middle-of-the-road response - meaning, not as huge an infrastructure commitment as rail, but better than regular bus.

Sep 18, 14 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

The best definition I know of "politically correct" is the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

What's really funny is that the politically correct are still covered with shit. 

I was was going to post this in another thread but decided that it would fit here better.

Sep 18, 14 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

toaster - yeah, in my previous locale, i would often be on the bus or train with only 3-4 other people in a car... at commuting rush hour. makes you wonder where the emissions per person starts to break even.

Sep 18, 14 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, CD, thanks for the encouragement. it is a big adjustment, but i think it will be good. at least they pay well!

Sep 18, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Miles I'm not sure I get it.  IMO politically correct is a terrible term anyway, "polite" is much better. 

Sep 18, 14 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

transit orientated development.  putting in BRT and not rezoning the area around it for mixed use and high density kind of defeats the purpose.  Around here developers usually claim a project is "TOD" to help them justify putting in little to no parking... sometimes it works... depends on the neighborhood.

BRT is a good start - I believe you need an initial projected ridership of around 40k along a few mile stretch to justify light rail, though...  rail is better than bus, but if you don't have the density it won't work.

Sep 18, 14 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
So I've been messing with sketch up for a couple days now. It's a lot of fun. Simple to use, though. Working on a house right now. Just getting my ideas down.
Sep 18, 14 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

A fellow architect I saw last night was wearing SketchUp socks; apparently they were giving them out free at the AIA Convention this year.  I'm wildly jealous.

Sep 19, 14 9:19 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I'm happy with sketch up for rough work - nice, simple and seems easy enough for everyone to use.  larger models and more freeform work is rough though.

Donna - maybe if you called sketchup they'd send a pair?  you'd think anyone who would proudly wear one would be good marketing

Sep 19, 14 11:24 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

they're giving the socks out again?  I have a pair from maybe 10+ years ago.   "sketchup - it doesn't stink."  They are white athletic socks, though... not something I'd wear to work... or a conference.

Sep 19, 14 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

Not white, toast - these were dark mid-tone grey with navy writing.

In honor of the Scotland vote here is a picture of my favorite Angus mimicking my favorite bridge, the Firth.  It's spectacular.

Sep 19, 14 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Bridge reminds me of the Quebec one that collapsed (twice?)... nice win for Scotland (and England?) to get the most of the freedom without sacrificing some of the perks of being in the UK.

Sep 19, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

The Scots just screwed themselves. Fear rules over reason.

Sep 19, 14 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge but what happened with Scotland?
Sep 19, 14 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, that photo is amazing!

CD, the Scots voted against divorce/leaving the nest.
Sep 19, 14 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Hey guys, how do I go about making a spherical shape or half spherical shape in SketchUp? It's the first time I've been stumped the whole time, thanks in advance.
Sep 21, 14 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

draw a circle, rotate and copy around center point, make rotated circle a plane, use follow-me tool.

Sep 22, 14 9:34 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Thank you! That helps a lot.
Sep 22, 14 10:13 am  · 
 · 

This is all I want to be or achieve, right here:

However I've also had trouble making a sphere in SketchUp, so I think I'll go try toasteroven's instructions on that first.

Sep 22, 14 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Spock can do it w/o the lip.

I use a pencil to make a circle then shade and shadow it for the illusion of depth.

Sep 22, 14 11:54 am  · 
 · 

But Miles Spock has no sex appeal.

I kinda want to post that Frank N. Furter gif on the Eisenhower Memorial thread to see if it totally pushes ThayerD over the edge.

Sep 22, 14 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Gehry is 85 years old - he's been having a hard time with a bunch of projects lately - I'm guessing he's running out of steam...

Sep 22, 14 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

that Panama project of Gehry's that was just published is horrendous. Not to mention it took more than 8 years to complete... i visited it under construction in 2008 when i was down there.
Looked better as a skeleton frame, honestly.

Sep 23, 14 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Interested to know from you, do you think (Gehry) it continues on after he's gone or passes with him? Time to jump ship?

Sep 24, 14 2:15 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

That firm is so much about his signature style that I think it's going to be hard to continue on with his name after he's gone.  Plus Gehry tech was recently acquired by Trimble...

Sep 24, 14 7:34 am  · 
 · 

hi TC!

been skipping a lot of civic meetings/visioning sessions lately and just vegging. feeling stretched thin and lazy. maybe start of fall/winter?

that being said my mood is great!

Sep 24, 14 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just went to Gehry website seems like they have some practical jobs available starting with Zero years’ experience and the job requirements look simple….little surprised by that….anyone out there working there? What’s it like?

Sep 25, 14 9:01 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Gave into fall last week with a pumpkin ale (with a shot of vanilla vodka, which, surprisingly, was delightful)... now onto the lattes, but not so sure about the pumpkin apple cider.

Sep 25, 14 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@carrera - I know people who did internships there in the 90s so I can't really speak to what it's like now - but they really liked working there back then and from what I've heard they have a good office culture.

@3tk - I went apple picking last weekend and enjoyed my first pumpkin beer this evening I  like fall - it's my favorite season.

Sep 25, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I keep looking for the leaves to Turn....seems like I have been spending a lot of time on the road this past month.

Sep 25, 14 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I TA'd a class in which i had a student who is now there. He doesnt seem the type I would trust with any kind of important task in a million years, but maybe he has grown up a bit.
Also had dinner with an associate from there about a year ago... he stuck me as the type that is just kinda coasting along, producing the same old shit... which is how the whole firm strikes me. He expense accounted dinner and drinks for 11 without even thinking, so business must be good.

A project I designed almost single-handedly is currently under construction in Togo, West Africa. extremely excited!
It started as a 4 person architecture for humanity thing, but you know how those go - everyone is all pumped at the first meeting, then they slowly stop coming and responding to e-mails until there is either no project, or someone takes it on by themselves. Anyways, they are building phase 1 of a 3 phase project. 8 double-occupancy rooms, 2x 600 sf classrooms, approx 1200 sf of kitchen, dining and cafe. The construction photos looked great - surprisingly high quality work. everything is plumb and level and at least somewhat built correctly from a structural standpoint.

Sep 26, 14 12:35 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Wow, great job archanonymous. Maybe in Africa work quality is a little better because when you're given an opportunity to have such a building in your city you take advantage of it.
Sep 26, 14 9:25 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Which is to say, they may be a little more humble than others.
Sep 26, 14 9:45 am  · 
 · 
3tk

sounds awesome archanonymous!

CD.Arch: it is a shame others don't take as much pride in their work :/

Sep 26, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 

why does the archinect homepage not work on my browser anymore? 

Sep 26, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Steven - what is your browser version - had similar problems and no text boxes, fixed the problem with updated browser.

Sep 26, 14 11:19 am  · 
 · 

google chrome tells me that it's up to date. should i not believe it?!   ; )

Sep 26, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

should you ever believe what google tells you?

i can't see a problem in either firefox or chrome.  what's it do?  just white space?  forever loading?  just a hickup that's already worked itself out?

i don't think i normally see text boxes on the front page.  it's usually a bunch of pictures in a grid with side bars.  there is text below the pictures.

Sep 26, 14 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Steven, its not Google that is the browser that's the search engine...your browser is software on your hard drive - mine is MS Explorer 11 anything 8 or below is out of date, my old was 7 and was toast - there is your problem, likely.

Sep 26, 14 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

google chrome?  that's too fancy for an arch office - you should be using netscape and running windows 95.

Sep 26, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

archanon, I'm involved in a project for a school that kids are to build themselves, I've been checking out all the arch for humanity stuff, maybe I'll find your project! 

Sep 26, 14 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

carrera, google does so much more than search, friend. if you're still using explorer, you need to expand your options. you sound like you might just be older than me! 

Sep 26, 14 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Steven, don’t get young on me……I’m not the one having problems with the Home Page.

Sep 26, 14 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

here you go.

Sep 27, 14 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

I feel like I'm supposed to recognize that building, toast, so I'm embarrassed that I don't Who is it?

Sep 27, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: