Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]
If you want to like grits, and I do now, have grits at decent restaurant, not those instant grits; no self respecting southerner eats instant grits.
Oct 15, 14 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Had store bought grits – no taste for that, but had a real southern experience at the Great Southern Café in Seaside Florida – had their Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits with Ma's Collard Greens – fantastic! Through the whole meal I listened to an old southern gentleman at the next table with this beautiful deep southern accent discourse to his family – was like music! Heading back this winter.

Oct 15, 14 10:17 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

also any good soul-food restaurant should have decent grits - my rule of thumb is that if there's a picture of bill clinton and the owner on the wall, you're in the right place.

Oct 15, 14 11:33 am  · 
 · 

My Cousin Vinny

Oct 15, 14 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

I make delicious shrimp and grits.

The chicken is now in the pot.  Some of the pics are fairly gruesome so I won't post them lest the vegetarians here get grossed out.  But it's a very cool process, albeit somber.

Oct 15, 14 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

If you want to like girls, and I do now, have girls  at decent restaurant, not those instant girls; no self respecting southerner eats instant girls.

my mind works in weird ways....after meeting with tenant improvement clients.

Oct 15, 14 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Mmm, grits. Y'all making me hungry just talking about it. Those years in New Orleans really soaked in.

Donna, I am a vegetarian and I would totally eat a freshly slaughtered, locally raised chicken. I do it for the environment, so the idea of meet really isn't a problem. Post em up!
It is interesting how killing our own food really changes how you think of it... I took the wife ( also a vegetarian) grouse hunting a couple years back and I felt like she was doing a prayer ritual for the little guy before we ate him. - We only killed a single grouse for dinner each day we were out hunting. Kinda strange, I suppose.

Oct 15, 14 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Proposed new test for Ebola – The IQ Test.

Oct 16, 14 9:02 am  · 
 · 

There's a piece out today about how the only way to stop Ebola is quarantine. Duh. 

Oct 16, 14 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I ate grits when they came served on my breakfast platter at a Louisiana style restaurant I like to to go, but I have a question, do you put anything on them? They are bland. Are they meant to be eaten plain or do you put butter or jelly or something on them? Perhaps a dumb question, I could search for it, but then I wouldn't get to have my morning coffee with the archinectors. 

Oct 16, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Plain grits are dull.  You want gravy, or sriracha. Or maybe butter and brown sugar or maple syrup, but I prefer savory gravy.

Oct 16, 14 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, I thought the solution was the pray ebola away? At least that's what Yahoo Answers tell me...

I feel I've missed out on something here with all this grits talk.

Oct 16, 14 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Since architects tend to be touchy-feely liberals on this site perhaps someone can explain why banning travelers from the Ebola-infected countries to the US until they have gone through a quarantine is a bad idea. Seems like a very good idea to me. Maybe also explain why an aide worker would want to come back from Africa to their spouse and kids without going through quarantine.

Oct 16, 14 11:22 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm for banning all Teapublicans from talking about serious issues in a public forum, their stupidity is more cause of concern to public health, than any person, or persons travelling from Liberia.

Oct 16, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well that answer is par for the course. Anyone with a serious response?

Oct 16, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Just saw an interview with a doctor in Africa working with Ebola patients. He said absolutely aide workers should go through quarantine before returning home. But what does he know? Another Teapartier I'm sure.

Oct 16, 14 11:35 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i googled that volunteer, because i was curious if there is an actual controversy

brietbart showed up at the top of the list.  so this is one of those fox news/conservative talk radio type manufactured emergencies?  or is there an actual concern?

Oct 16, 14 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Even with little to no quarantine efforts, I am pretty sure my, as well as everyone else commenting here, chances of getting affected by the ebola virus are at par, if not worse, than being gorged at this very moment by a unicorn.

Popular paranoia is trendy.

Oct 16, 14 11:47 am  · 
 · 

The piece I read this am talked about biohazard suits and wash-down facilities that decontaminate the suit before you take it off. Apparently only four hospitals in the US are equipped with this gear. 

Oct 16, 14 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

A logic medical people have recommended a quarantine for people returning from the Ebola countries before they are allowed to travel to the US. I have not heard a reasonable explanation, in plain English, for not doing so. it seems that the politically correct thing to do is to disparage anyone who asks the question.

Oct 16, 14 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Should be "a lot of" above, not "logic". Apologies.

Oct 16, 14 11:50 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

apparently a lot of people are being quarantined.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790507/nbc-chief-medical-correspondent-accused-violating-ebola-quarantine-visit-favorite-soup-restaurant.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-fears-lead-to-quarantine-of-returning-missionaries-in-us/

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2014/10/lsu_employee_under_quarantine.html

so, it's certainly not a question of quarantines not happening where it's deemed appropriate (though some people break their quarantines for soup.  shame on them).  or, even when it's not necessary to quarantine, but people want to exercise an abundance of caution.  i assume there are many cases where it would be difficult for people to quit work for 3 weeks, and their chances of having contracted the virus are quite small.

so what's the concern?  are you worried that you personally are going to contract the virus?  are you concerned this will become a nationwide epidemic, worse than say the seasonal flu?  is the goal to expand government by having government officials, police, or the national guard enforce quarantines, and raise taxes to pay the associated salaries?

Oct 16, 14 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Any question that starts calling architects touchy-feely liberals, deserves my size 12 Dr. Marten to the skull; that's how I quarantine Teapublican stupidity. Did that seriously answer your low-level thinking query?

Oct 16, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

dunno, the ivy league school down the street decided not to quarantine their students that got back from Liberia... now one's in the hospital.

Oct 16, 14 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Take politics out of the situation for a second, considering sickness doesn't kiss republican or democrat asses. It's common sense to quarantine people coming back from highly infected areas, especially when everyone's in a stir. A nurse that was infected with Ebola (helping that first Ebola victim) was allowed on an airplane, and now 175 or so people are on watch. How nice of them to let that nurse on an airplane. I don't see it as an issue right now, but if we continue to make idiotic decisions like that then it will be. Keep it contained. Non Sequitur, I had to keep myself from busting up in the middle of English. However, I agree with you.
Oct 16, 14 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

MY WORKPLACE REEKS OF ACETONE PERHAPS IT'S EBOLA MUTATED TO BECOME AIRBORNE!

Oct 16, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

There's very little that we can fix or proactively deal with in one way or another. The problem is not ability but will.

"Economic effects" are often the reason for not doing much. Even quarantines in poorer than dirt Liberia are qualified with the economic effect on food vendors. Travel bans would have significant negative economic effects, but this is shortsighted thinking at best. A global pandemic would have really bad economic effects.

As if that was all that mattered ...

Oct 16, 14 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Since architects tend to be touchy-feely liberals on this site

I'd say there are more militant anarcho-marxists around here than people who name their kids "rainbow moonbeam" after a water birth at a naturalist yoga-themed midwifery...

me?  I mostly just want to make decent money - but I am currently re-reading some Lefebvre...

Oct 16, 14 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Curtkram, I lived in Reston, VA, when the virus almost escaped from a lab there several years ago. The medical people were terrified at the effect Ebola could have had on the population. By not having a quarantine in place Mr. Duncan was allowed into the country. Now his family is under quarantine, one nurse is in the hospital as is her boyfriend, another nurse has been airlifted to Emory Hospital in Atlanta, and her family in Ohio is under quarantine. The dollar costs to date, with all the hospital bills, medical flights, CDC "SWAT" teams, ect. Is astronomical and ongoing. So what was the benefit of allowing Duncan into the country? I don't see any.

Oct 16, 14 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Nina Pham, the first nurse infected by Mr. Duncan, is being sent to a level 4 biohazard containment hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. There are only four such hospitals in the country with a total capacity of 20 beds. Schools are beng closed in Texas and Ohio because some of the kids were on the same flight as the second nurse. That second nurse is now in the Emory Hospital in Atlanta, also one of the four level 4 biohazard hospitals.

Oct 16, 14 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

And yet, Ebola is still only spread by the exchange of fluids, so, unless the nurse was doing one of the following:

• sucking
  • fucking
  • drugging
  • golden showers
  • cleveland steamers
  • snow balling
  • or anything having to do with what Teapublicans do on Saturdays

Then who gives a rat fuck? Wait, maybe, since she was in Ohio, and Cleveland is in Ohio, maybe we should quarantine Ohio too?

Oct 16, 14 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I doubt if the nurses were doing any of the activities with Mr. Duncan listed above. The number of Ebola viruses in one milliliter of blood can exceed 10,000,000, which is why it is so infectious and probably why the two nurses are now in level 4 hospitals equipped to handle them.

Oct 16, 14 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Bringen die Öfen!

Oct 16, 14 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm sure Duncan came across the Mexican border, with ISIL, Frenched the nurses, just before doing a Ric Flair WOOOOOOOO!!!!

Oct 16, 14 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

we should quarantine texas.  that's where the problem is, and there is no reason not to quarantine texas.  instead, we're sending texas people a stone's throw from washington.

Oct 16, 14 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta is channeling FRaC.

Send Washington to Texas then quarantine it. And let's throw in Kentucky and Ohio as long as we're at it.

700,000 tons of concrete would build a 12" thick wall 13-3/4" high on the domestic borders of Texas (1,538 miles).

Oct 16, 14 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
And 4,900,000 tons would build an about 8 ft tall wall. I like that one better. Reminds me of the Geico commercial, "Did you know the Great Wall of China wasn't always so great?"
Oct 16, 14 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

"Ebola" is now the most-watched news story in the U.S. during the entire Obama administration. Let's be clear, humans, especially relatively well-off humans, care mostly about themselves. Period. The live network broadcasts this afternoon of the Texas ebola patient being transported by ambulance is certainly a new low in the sewer that passes itself off as TV News. It seems rather obvious that a vast majority of Americans care only if their bunghole starts bleeding and would be just fine with building a wall around Africa and let thousands, or millions for that matter, be consumed by this disease. The ignorance, the fear, the exploitation of that fear, the bald-faced selfishness of all this is the real disease. And it's already a pandemic. - Marc Cooper

I haven't been watching tv news for ages but this seems to be right and just I imagined the news to be on television.

Oct 16, 14 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

does anyone under the age of 35 even watch tv anymore?

Oct 16, 14 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

news on tv here is all about the big royals victory.  8 wins in a row.  we only need 4 more.  i tuned out the rest of the noise.

Oct 16, 14 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

re: grits must / should be, savory, stone ground, yellow corn.

and cheese / dairy.. 

@Donna wouldn't mind taking a peak at pics of butchering if only from the DIY homesteading aspect. Did he or you end up doing it mostly?

Also did snooker use "girls" not "grits" or are my eyes decieving?

Oct 16, 14 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

How about testing people for the virus instead of sticking em all in quarantine? PCR testing is effective and relatively inexpensive, at least compared to the cost if a quarantine.

I see this as just another result of globalization. All the rich old bastards with white hair who run this place want more markets for their goods, more customers, more freedom to travel and profit, but when that same geopolitical logic leads to a (possible) global Ebola epidemic, ISIS, regional conflicts, etc, they look everywhere but at the cause.

Oct 17, 14 12:19 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

ISIS, Ebola, environmental and political disintegration...

Of course, catastrophe originally referred to the last act of a greek tragedy where all is revealed (strophe meaning a turn (of events ie a revelation).

With many religions, we also see this tendency to situate a revelation right at the end, a resolution of sorts.

Hegelian philosophy (after disparaging the pre-Greek "Orientals") sees that the end is a revelation of a process, starting with the first stage of the Greeks (of course, for a positivist, Hegel does not pay them enough dues as the masters of revelation, those who recognize the ineptitude of the human lot facing an impending revelation that will alter them and their world)  through the revelation of the absolute spirit/ the Idea.

People have a very palpable sense of endings - they're certainly not conscious of their infantile beginnings but they're acutely aware of their impending doom- and so  perhaps an eschatology -religious or otherwise- justifying one's subsistence on earth and revealing its purpose is the deepest religious root, that is to say the deepest root in founding a religion or an ideology. which brings us again to this  , a history of fictional ends (which would mean a historiography of ends) propelled by the innate imagination and feeling for an end.

ISIS, Ebola, and it will get worse. Its a tradition that older people say that" their time" was better e ..maybe its right. History burdens itself -through the agency of blind self centered selfness- until it finds its cleansing catastrophe, a world war, a deluge...for another siècle. And maybe at one point, it will just up and kill itself off for the last time.

Oct 17, 14 12:57 am  · 
 · 
Kentucky isn't in this, Miles! Sometimes there are advantages to being in a 'fly-over' State.
Oct 17, 14 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Ugh! Had to get up at 7 to get grandkids to school by 8. Getting up at 8 is okay but being somewhere at 8 isn’t. Who invented the idea of starting work/school at 8? I looked it up. Glad it wasn’t Thomas Jefferson because I like Thomas Jefferson, turns out it was Robert Owen in 1817. Didn’t they hang people in 1817? If I was alive then I would vote “no” for 8 o’clock and vote “yes” to hang Robert Owen.

Oct 17, 14 9:06 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Miles I'm much worse than FRaC. I want to treat Ebola like WMD in Iraq. I say this is a bio-terror weapon, unleashed by radical jihadists. I mean, Ebola is in Africa, Libya is in Africa, Kenya is in Africa. OBAMA!

The fear around this horrible incident, of which 3 or 4 in America have been afflicted - out of 350,000,000 citizens, is astoundingly stupid. So stupid, I say, that I think we'd be better served if we rounded up all the people infecting people with fear, and quarantine THEM from espousing their invective through my public airwaves. If we did that, then I'd feel safe.

We have homeless Americans being rounded up, and criminalized. We have an ever increasing working poor, children becoming morbidly obese, crumbling schools and infrastructure, yet, YET, this Ebola is now our national focus? Fuck youse.

My only wish I want granted, is to go back in time, and grant ole Texas two-step - Rick Perry - his wish of secession, that way we can treat Texas like a foreign country, restrict travel, and move that border fence up north.

Yee-haw.

Oct 17, 14 9:11 am  · 
 · 

LOL beta you say it so inelegantly but I mostly agree with the sentiment.

Carrera, there is a very serious discussion right now about changing high school start times to much alter in the morning, as science has shown that in the teen years the body's circadian rhythms are set to stay up late then sleep late.  Early start times for teenagers means forcing them to fight against what their bodies and minds are demanding that they do.

If I have a choice when Angus starts high school I would choose one with a alter start time if possible. I'm an old now, so I get up at 5:15 every day, but teenagers are just not meant to do that!

Oct 17, 14 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Also, I second Steven's comment: Kentucky has its own specific issues, but don't lump it in!

Oct 17, 14 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Steven, how do explain Mitch McConnell? Never mind, it's the same explanation for Chuck Schumer.

b3ta, hard not to make a parallel between the newfound 'revelation' (LOL) that the WMDs in Iraq were ours and the utter incompetence and mishandling of ebola.

Man dies on trans-Atlantic flight to JFK after vomiting (from Lagos). 'Authorities' were quick to confirm that it's not Ebola but how they hell could they know?

Oct 17, 14 10:04 am  · 
 · 
3tk

If I'm reading the medical reports correctly, the studies on the aerosol contagiousness of ebola is not terribly well done - that is to say close quarters may be enough to put people at risk...

Oct 17, 14 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: