Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

CD.Arch
In geometrical terms, dots have no dimensions and simply show location...
Aug 13, 14 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I use the Morris Code center line , just in case who ever is looking at the drawing is really bored.

Aug 13, 14 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
LOL snook, secret messages in our site plans...

Sarah I'm thinking of a dash as a line (relationship between two points) and a dot as a point locating the middle point between two lines.

So this: _ . _ would actually designate the relationship between five points (assume the dot is not out of vertical alignment with the lines). But I like the idea of the line as an object AND the dot as an object, CD.Arch your explanation of the dot as having no properties notwithstanding.

I think I'm overthinking this.
Aug 13, 14 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

in reality a dot is just a veryveryvery short dash, but it's meant to represent a point, which is *not* a line at all.

A dot is just a line viewed end on.

Never heard of Morris Code. But I use Morse code in my drawings all the time.

Mostly  . . . _ _ _ . . .

Aug 13, 14 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

Wait, is a dot is a line viewed end on related to string theory?

Aug 13, 14 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
That implies that a dot has unseen depth, and a third dimension in a 2 dimensional sense. Is that even possible?
Aug 13, 14 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

No. A dot has the possibility of being a line viewed end on but not thedefinitude. A line viewed end on will have the definitude of seeming like a point.

Seeming is the possibility of exceeding what is being seemed.

Aug 13, 14 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
If I were to put .<---That dot. Does it have depth in two space? No. It can't. That's impossible. That seems to be overthinking it to me. To the human eye, it's a dot. It has no depth, and cannot be thought of to continue endlessly in that direction.
Aug 13, 14 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Half of my post was deleted. I am confused.
Aug 13, 14 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

At one time the universe was a dot.

Or so they say.

Aug 13, 14 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
If a dot has depth, AND is circular, isn't it a cylinder?
Aug 13, 14 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

If a dot is just a point, it has a radius of 0 and therefore would not be a cylindar

Aug 14, 14 7:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Do digital dots have depth? Or do only printed dots have depth?

Aug 14, 14 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oh no, I remember this conversation from 1st year intro to architecture. I think this ends up with hypercubes somehow.

Aug 14, 14 8:02 am  · 
 · 

I'm partial to my high school geometry definitions:

A point has no qualities other than location. We use a dot to signify the point, but the physical qualities of the dot are irrelevant.

A line is the shortest distance between two points. The line also has no physical properties (width) except length.

But when we put these items in a drawing they do take on physical properties. My lines always have bippies - in school that's what we called the heavier weight of the line at the beginning and end.  So in my hand drafting, each line is two points connected by a tension member.

Aug 14, 14 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You should have sharpened your pencils more then.

8-)

Aug 14, 14 8:20 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Two dashes with a tension member?  I had a prof who insisted that no one would know where my lines ended unless I had the thickened dashes at the ends...

Aug 14, 14 10:08 am  · 
 · 

A dot is a sphere with a radius of zero.

Aug 14, 14 10:24 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

welcome anvien

Aug 14, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Donna, the first definition of a dot that I gave you was the one you gave in your last post. Also, saying that a dot is cylinder was a rhetorical question to everybody because I already stated that dots have no depth. So they cannot be viewed as a line on end or they would have a infinitesimal number of depths. As lines proceed, hypothetically, forever.
Aug 14, 14 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I think it is more relevant to discuss this in terms of lineweight, not mathematical definitions. 

If you are outputting a .13mm line, a "dot" which is .13mm dia may not be large enough to read correctly - this also depends on how long the dashes are and how large the spaces are. 

If you are outputting a thick centerline (maybe it is white on dark background, or there is a good deal going on in the drawing,) a .5mm dia dot may be all you need for it to read clearly.

I also really like the look of a "square dot" which may be the dim of the line width in both directions, making it feel a bit more like a dot, but technically a dash.

I try to stick with pre-defined graphic standards, but within that, there is room to adjust everything to reinforce your particular aesthetic. Also, I am super anal and ocd, so designing the dashes on my centerlines does not strike me as an exercise in futility. 

Aug 14, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

a dot is a black hole.....

Aug 14, 14 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

dot

Aug 14, 14 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
So I just discovered they make lace jock straps for men. I giggled like a 13 year old.
Aug 14, 14 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

What we really want to know is how you found that out.

Aug 14, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

my picture of dot disappeared?  do we not allow images in thread central?

Aug 14, 14 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Sarah... That's called lingerie for men...
Aug 15, 14 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I was shopping on Amazon. Did a generic search. Learned there are also things called C-strings. Think on that a while.
Aug 15, 14 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram - I found it here > ·

Aug 15, 14 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apropos of nothing except that I still have it copied on my clipboard, here is a clip from the documentary 20 Feet From Stardom in which Merry Clayton's vocal track is isolated from Gimme Shelter. Watch til the end, it's chilling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChONufP0FEs
Aug 16, 14 10:30 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sarah  they also make banana  hammocks... don't touch that stuff with my 11 foot pole, which is a foot longer than my ten foot pole.

Aug 16, 14 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Is it just me or has forum activity been really slow lately?
Aug 17, 14 11:59 am  · 
 · 

CD.Arch feel that way myself. assume it is because we are in last dregs of summer in Northern Hemisphere/USA...

Hi TC! I go on vacation in a week!

Aug 17, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Perhaps you're right Nam. I'm feeling pretty bored lately myself.
Aug 17, 14 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

CD.Arch, I find activity here to peak when my office starts getting wicked busy. Helps to spend time on the forums during those 60+ hour weeks.

July-August are the usual holiday months anyways.

Aug 18, 14 10:04 am  · 
 · 

hey TC fell off the first page!

nite nite

Aug 20, 14 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

I wish Israel would fall off the first page.

Aug 21, 14 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
You and me both Miles. I'm tired of that thread. At least it's down to 1-2 posts a day rather than 1-50. Either they are realizing that it's no working or they're running out of stuff to post.
Aug 21, 14 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I'm a terrible person. I came home, after a terrible day at work, only to find our dog had broken into my room, and destroyed a pair of shoes, a bra, and underwear. I screamed. I yelled. I dragged him from under the bed by the leg, and I through him outside without his leash.

I'm sure he'll come back. Right? He's chipped, and his collar has my number on it, but I still feel bad. I guess you can't really appologize to a dog.

*someone just brought him back.
Aug 22, 14 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, take a breath. Or better yet take a lot of breaths. Mediation for even a few breaths can put things into proper perspective.

He was acting out because he was alone. Dogs are highly social and need near constant companionship.

Aug 22, 14 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sarah,

We had a dog destroy a leather couch.  Something got behind one of the cushions and he just had to have it.  It is amazing how much damage they can do but you know you still love them and they love you  back even more.  That was our dog , "Matisse"   He also crashed thru a plate glass window one day going after a squirrel he saw outside in the back yard.

Thank God he didn't get hurt.

Aug 22, 14 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Oh Sarah, it happens.  Your doggie still loves you but be extra nice to him tonight and this weekend. 

We've had the same problem with Chica since I stopped working from home so she's alone most of the day.  The problem is a self-perpetuating cycle: they get stressed when you're not there, so they chew something up, so when you come home you yell, so then they get stressed the next time you leave that you're going to return and yell, so they chew something up. 

I've stopped yelling at Chica when I get home, and just latch every door, put away every shoe, etc. so she has no opportunity to destroy anything.  She frequently pulls paper and cardboard out of the trash can and shreds it up, so we just pet her and clean it up when we return. 

Aug 22, 14 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Sarah, sorry to hear that. Don't be too hard on yourself about it. Just take him for an extra long walk or play time this weekend. 

It seems ridiculous, but my dog needs about 15-25 toys at all times or he can't be left home alone without chewing through things. You could try more toys.

Aug 22, 14 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

those kongs help with that, or so i hear.

a dog will act like a dog.  no point getting upset.  the shoes on the other hand shouldn't have gotten eaten.  i might be upset at the shoe if i were you.

Aug 23, 14 9:56 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Kongs are good and last forever. 

Nylabone are really good too. My dog goes to town on them and loves the chocolate? flavor.

Aug 23, 14 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

I'm starting to feel the same way about Zaha's face on the news link as I do about the boycott Israel thread.

Aug 24, 14 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
That red lipstick is almost louder than the cries of outrage against her labor issues and destruction of homes...
Aug 24, 14 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

I believe that lipstick color is more fuchsia than red.

I'll talk about this here on TC but not really in a thread about Zaha, ecause I don't think we should be bringing personal appearance into discussions focused on work and professionalism: Zaha is freaking gorgeous.  I think it was long-ago Archinecter LEDsignal light who said her "sheer will to power is undeniably sexy".  I despise her politics, I think her right-hand-man is a twit, I hate about half of her body of work, and I get twitchy and angry thinking about her reputation for being dismissive to people below her self-perceived station but damn, you have to respect how uncompromising she is when it comes to her appearance and style.

Aug 24, 14 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Style is not even skin deep.

Aug 24, 14 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

My favorite quote about style: "Style is takin' what ya got and puttin' it where ya don't."

Aug 24, 14 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: