Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

The japanise royal family is directly descended from dragons (reptiles).  that tells us everything we need to know about that culture.

Jan 15, 14 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Will, I'm pretty sure* the US invented spray-on hair in a can sold via television.  So America, Fuck Yeah!

* Actually I'm totally unsure who invented it.  But I'm a USian so I'm going to go ahead and claim that anything that idiotically narcissistic is from the US.

Jan 15, 14 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Ron Popeil, of course, as any fan of late-night television in the 80's know. Inventor of such legendary items as Chop-O-Matic, Dial-O-Matic, Popeil Pocket Fisherman, the Smokeless Ashtray and among other things GLH-9: hair in a can (Great Looking Hair Formula #9).

Jan 15, 14 11:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

isn't it the chinese that are descended from dragons?

Jan 15, 14 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, why can't all narcissistic things come from Brazil?  Don't they have more plastic surgery than the US?  We should get credit for all things fat and lazy.  Like segweys, cheese in a can, doritos tacos, and rascals.

Jan 15, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
observant

observant, you're as convinced by the tiny number of examples that reinforce your predetermined world view as ever. Please don't change.

I won't change.  Guaranteed.  And, if there are reports like that, there are others.

I've seen it in my own life and travels.  Take a lot at the countries in southern Europe who share a faith and linguistic roots, minus Greece.  There is mild xenophobia.  They often think less of the transplant, in terms of admitting them to the caste system, but their children born there have local status.  The Spaniards sometimes think less of the Portuguese.  The Italians think they occupy a higher perch than do the Spaniards.  The Greeks are a little leery of the Italians.  The French clearly think they are better than everybody, but nobody likes them anyway.

And, about the above observations, it's not just me making them.  Everybody over there makes them. 

Pete, dude, your assessments of me are predictable.  You're probably a PC WASP and I am not.  Because only someone who has sold out to being PC would take offense to what I say.

Jan 15, 14 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

further proof that the chinese have beat america at design (from a functional rather than formal perspective):

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/some-chinese-malls-have-husband-storage-facilities-for-the-shopping-averse-180949293/

Jan 15, 14 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

That infomercial is fantastic.  The best part: "The BABES are back!" at 0:56. 

If I developed a bald spot at the back of my head, I would spray hair on it. Totally.

Jan 15, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Care to offer any evidence of me being a wasp? Nope, didn't think so.

You must not shoot your mouth off like this much in real life otherwise you'd be a lot more bitter due to people telling you to get stuffed as often as you deserve. I wager you're too afraid and the internet gives you a place to flex the bigot muscles you don't have the balls to use in real life.

How's that for assumption?

Jan 15, 14 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

as long as he doesn't bother to confirm his assumptions, his assumptions are always right.

Jan 15, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Why don't the husbands just stay home?
Jan 15, 14 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Homo luminous, are you out there?  Is it the golden age yet?  Or are we already toast?

Jan 15, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Care to offer any evidence of me being a wasp? Nope, didn't think so.

You must not shoot your mouth off like this much in real life otherwise you'd be a lot more bitter due to people telling you to get stuffed as often as you deserve. I wager you're too afraid and the internet gives you a place to flex the bigot muscles you don't have the balls to use in real life.

I grew up in the 2 largest metro areas of the country.  Unless someone looked like a Brady Bunch alum who surfed, people often began with "My friend Yasmin who is Armenian and lives in Glendale" or, if on the East Coast, "My friend Jeffrey who is Jewish and lives in Forest Hills."  I don't see the problem.  Upon beginning work, people would do impersonations of the small dives or corner store owners we'd descend on for junk food as a matter of course.  And I was on board for the ride.  We even had this middle-aged German lady who dressed up like Gretel who went around to offices selling jumbo cookies and people impersonated her accent.  Fun stuff.  How nice to be able to grow up where everyone can poke fun at each other's idiosyncracies in a lighthearted way.  One of the best was when, a couple of years after leaving college, a group of 20-something coworkers warned an employee flying to NY and using the hoyty toyty lounge that he would be paged as "Mike Hunt."  When the call was put through, the entire office erupted in cheering, old ladies doing clerical work included.  I didn't come up with that one, but I was nearly in tears from laughter.  Now, I am fully aware that there are cities and areas of the U.S. where that would not have flown, either then or now.  And I'm thinking such a place is your frame of reference.  If so, I'm sorry.

P.S.  I ignore criticism from those whose life experiences are largely in the flyover zone.

Jan 15, 14 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You ignore criticism from those who you choose to. Trying to tie it up in logic and reason is a futile endeavor. You keep being an ass and I'll be here calling you out. I consider it charity.

Jan 15, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

^ Or a public service.

Jan 15, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Pete, I think you're an ass, actually, and wonder why you're so brittle and uptight.*  I've only received such criticism from more tightly wound architects and in areas of the U.S. other than those two mentioned.

*actually, I know, my political viewpoint on a popular current chafing point does not match yours, so what you're doing is called "projecting."  Maybe I'm guilty of it, too.

Jan 15, 14 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Popular current chafing point? Speak plainly; I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not brittle and uptight. If you were ACTUALLY FUNNY or in any way consistent with your defense posturing regarding WHY you're such a prejudiced person, I may actually laugh. I laugh at funny things. You are not funny. You are not insightful. You take shortcuts and make assumptions instead of actually thinking and then try to pass it off as harmless when you get called out. 

Jan 15, 14 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^ Or a public service.

Well, if so, then municipalities can issue rose colored glasses to people when they pay their annual property taxes.  They can view it as a rebate for earning interest on the receipts ahead of the due date.

Jan 15, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Popular current chafing point? Speak plainly; I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think you do.  Look back at your post on socks ... or was it ties?

I'm not brittle and uptight. If you were ACTUALLY FUNNY or in any way consistent with your defense posturing regarding WHY you're such a prejudiced person, I may actually laugh. I laugh at funny things. You are not funny. You are not insightful. You take shortcuts and make assumptions instead of actually thinking and then try to pass it off as harmless when you get called out.

What entails prejudice?  Stereotyping?  That's not my definition of prejudice.  Prejudice involves virulent dislike.  Where the hell are you from?  We could start there.

Jan 15, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I have no interest in being analyzed by you. 

Jan 15, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Then STFU.

Jan 15, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I have no interest in shutting the fuck up, either. Have a nice day.

Jan 15, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Team Pete.

Jan 15, 14 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Why am I not surprised?

Jan 15, 14 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i suspect you're not surprised because you already know everything?

Jan 15, 14 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I'm not surprised because the posting patterns, and opinions, of several white, easily irked, politically correct flyover types are discernible.

I would say I know a lot more about a lot of things than the typical American whose face they put a microphone into for an opinion, but I certainly don't know everything.

Jan 15, 14 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

As the ol'saying goes: who pissed in your/everyone's corn flakes this morning.

I think Gandhi said it first but I cannot be sure of this.

Jan 15, 14 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"white, easily irked, politically correct flyover types"

Still having trouble seeing why people think you come across as a dick?

Jan 15, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I thought you were backing off, via your "have a nice day."

One can never come off as too big of a dick, since you've chosen to go phallic on me.

My friends like me just the way I am.  For decades.  I didn't come here to make friends.  In fact, I fully expected to find some of the snively types you meet in a-school and in certain work environments. 

Jan 15, 14 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Homo luminous? ??

Jan 15, 14 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Why did you come here, then?

Jan 15, 14 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Because, nitwit, i'm searching for homo luminous? duh.

Jan 15, 14 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

MAJOR fyi  alert !  If you have negativve blood  then you might be descedned from aliens.  For realz!

Jan 15, 14 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Why did you come here, then?

Since when is friendship a prerequisite for a forum?  Clueless, aren't we? 

I came to see how archis and others felt about admitting high school grads and grads who majored in basket weaving to the "lofty" perches of our profession, and the ensuing dialogue was so captivating that I stayed.  I relayed this experience to people in other professions and they mused at how fucked up architecture and architects must be.  This might have been before your time.  Either way, I thought I'd bask in the kaleidoscopic gamut of architects themselves, and those who love them ... or hate them ... or love/hate them, and possibly run into people of the cool ilk, meaning they like architecture but can also poke fun at how ridiculous it is, and also poke fun at other aspects of the human condition.  Come to think of it, those types were the most fun in a-school and are the most fun in the workforce. .... reliably so, that it makes for yet another stereotype.

Jan 15, 14 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You sure enjoy your stereotypes and labels, don't you?

Jan 15, 14 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x, yes. It's a sort of pilgrimage for the architectural faithful. Let me know if you're out this way and I'll give you a tour. Gates of the Grove

Have you been to 565 Fifth Avenue?

Jan 15, 14 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
observant

You sure enjoy your stereotypes and labels, don't you?

Indeed I do.  And so do my ethnic urban friends.  Give it a rest.

I'm wondering if Miles would give me a tour of it if on the island.  And also show me the house Christie Brinkley got from her divorce settlement ... from an architect.  And one would intuitively think the money would be flowing the other way:  actress $$$$$ > architect $.

Jan 15, 14 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Never trust anyone who doesn't drink coffee. That's my stereotype. 

Jan 15, 14 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^  That's cool, tint.  One of my friends, arguably an alcoholic, told me "I don't trust anyone who doesn't drink."  While that didn't do it, we are no longer friends.

Jan 15, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Miles on Miles....you never offered me up the tour.....We could have a great conversation about synagogues.  Yes and not being paid....lol....waiting for the courts...... it will never happen.... but I  didn't end up with a building.

Jan 15, 14 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

@ Miles, if your source is the Chrysanthemum and the Sword, then I understand.  Its a bit better than basing your opinions on the Shogun movie, but only barely. If you want to find examples that feed the same stereotype I recommend Dogs and Demons by Alex Kerr. Both books have some truthiness in them but neither are particularly correct. Misleading would be another word that fits, but I'm saying that as someone who lives here and can see the twisting going on.  Like Kunstler on urbanism, its kinda true, but not enough of the story to be useful.

btw, Crysanthemum and the sword describes post war Japan, and does not ever mention Hello Kitty, and therefore could never be a proper portrait.

Jan 15, 14 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I THOUGHT kUNSTLER WAS GOD...

Jan 15, 14 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

As I said, dated. Last I knew Japan was sI'm a bit older than you so my reference frame is a bit longer. Chrysanthemum pretty much explains all of my previously inscrutable Japanese friends to a T. Japanese youth may be less inclined to follow such traditions but that doesn't mean they don't exist or have a strong influence in the culture. Japan remains highly stratified, evidence of which can be clearly seen in the handling of Fukushima.

Jan 15, 14 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

snook, you never asked. But since you whined, anytime. I'll even buy the coffee.

Maybe we should all do a day in Manhattan. I know a GREAT saki bar ...

Jan 15, 14 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

don draper read that book.

Jan 15, 14 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Miles....you think I'm whining.....I'm not Jewish...lol  but guess I have worked enough with the community to know how  to get  what I want.   Actually a friend and myself used to do Architecture Tour Days.  He lived in Tucson and myself in Phoenix.  We would get together and do a marathon day of traveling from projects  we were both interested in. He passed away a couple of years ago, so I miss that opportunity a lot.

Think I will keep to Japanese Whiskey or Beer....

Jan 15, 14 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I was thinking "The Art of War" might be a better read.

Jan 15, 14 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
What IS the obsession with Hello Kitty? And do all men have to have business cards to be acceptable? I feel I read that somewhere. Probably the same place I read you had to hold your liquor better than an oponent to get respect.

Lastly, is that how you spell oponent? Looks funny.
Jan 15, 14 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
observant

And do all men have to have business cards to be acceptable? I feel I read that somewhere.

Well, there is such a scene of oneupmanship in "American Psycho," and it has to do with their business cards. That scene, the scene where Bale's coworker mistakenly thinks Bale is hitting on him at the urinal, and the scene were he brings in his shirts to a Chinese run dry cleaner and goes medieval are about the only "redeeming" ones in that crazy movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y

Jan 15, 14 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Miles, no offence but crysanthemum and the sword may have allowed you to see what you wanted to see in your friends but it is not really good to generalize much about Japanese culture from it. Ive been here a few decades plus some change so I guess I may not know as much as you because of the book you read before I got here, mind you ;-)

As far as it goes, what is happening in Fukushima is the same as is happening in Florida Gulf, and its bullshit in both cases, but not really evidence of stratified society in the sense you imply (ie, that japan is different from other societies because of the lack of government will to act correctly).

@ sarha, Hello Kitty, I have no idea, but its everywhere, and Dick Bruna must still be pissed at the theft. My favorite hello kitty spotting is when they took over a seminal building by sejima on cat street, originally designed for hh style furniture store

name cards are big here. not a big deal if you don't have one, but better if you do. For networking they are awesome though!

Jan 16, 14 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: