Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

gruen
3 inefficient people could do the work of 1 efficient person, in only twice the time! Inefficiency breeds full employment.
Jan 7, 14 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
observant

A guy I worked with when I did the in-house thing for a developer-builder told me he read the statistic that, even when working fairly effectively for 8 hours, a person really is productive for about 5.5 to 6 of those hours.  That deficiency could include breaks, wheel spinning, thinking about things peripheral to work, and other issues.  It sort of makes sense to me.

Jan 7, 14 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Then there are those who work for themselves.....they push past 40 hours a week every week all year long.  They get to pay their own insurance, get no pay for vacation time, and bring in  every job and kick it out the door. 

Jan 7, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

As they say, efficiency is the shortest path to hell.

what is "effieciency" and "working harder" if not a form of greed? 

Jan 8, 14 8:37 am  · 
 · 

tokyo is cold as heck too.  nothing like in norte america, but bloody cold to be riding a bike in.

trees would be way better if they were more efficient, maybe just one leaf or something like that. The world clearly could not have been designed cuz the god that did it would have been much more efficient if she was really thinking.  Perhaps it was the fault of the tequila...

Jan 8, 14 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I should put on my resume that I have extensive experience working for terrible bosses. :)

This is reality, when my firm went under for cooking the books, everybody lost their job and over half of us ended up leaving architecture for good because of it. The principal and his cronies just started a "new" firm and are still architecting. Quality leaders in architecture there are. Too bad they are the gatekeepers to the profession. Oops. 

Why don't medical students would forgo their fancy resident programs and get their training like architects - from private companies that are subject to the free market and are struggling in a recession. They should take charge of their OWN careers and can work themselves to secure all the different various parts of their training by finding a clinic that does that work, getting hired at a level below that of the secretary and avoiding the earn-your-keep type menial work like filing and writing reports. After all, you can learn from that. All training would be conducted alone at a cubicle (not in the field, you must never see a patient, or maybe like once a year for a pittance) I think they would be burned out, bitter, largely incompetent and angry too. So I started my own business, because it is way less stressful and easier than being an intern architect. 

Jan 8, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 

The legalization of weed in Colorado is an interesting case. Between more tax revenue for the state to blow on hookers and blow and the fact that weed must be distributed interstate there is likely to be a cascade effect that will no doubt be fought tooth and nail by corporate pharmaceuticals, corporate prisons and all those busy reaping profits from the drug war.

Jan 8, 14 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The recreational weed is really just for tourists. It is ridiculously expensive. 

Jan 8, 14 10:29 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't see much of a fight miles.  philip morris and rj reynolds lost the tobacco fight long ago.  i bet they're set up to switch to weed within literally about 2 hours.  they might have to wait a growing season to make it look like they don't already have the supply line set up, what with the appearance and legal issues that would hint at.  they still have a lot of money to fight off pharma if they need to.

the prisons will come out fine.  that's a pretty strong industry.

Jan 8, 14 10:37 am  · 
 · 

That's a nice analogy, tint, the medical interns and architecture interns.  Well done.

Jan 8, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It was a rant, rough around the edges too. My brother is an MD and my internships and his externships and residency program were concurrent. I couldn't help but compare our experiences as they were happening. As hard as medicine is, at least they don't hate themselves. 

Jan 8, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
observant

As hard as medicine is, at least they don't hate themselves.

No doubt, tint.  Another doctor defends, or won't contradict, another doctor.  And we all know doctors err.

Moving onto legalizing marijuana, isn't it interesting how the granola, hippy-dippy states are the ones doing so?  CO, WA, ...  Who's next?  Vermont?

If I had something for which they gave me a medical marijuana prescription, I'd probably die because I wouldn't know HOW to smoke the stuff.  Again, I'm so UNcool that I wonder how I happened into architecture to begin with.

Jan 8, 14 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

oh ther will be a fight.  althought the cigarette companies probably could quickly swtich to producrtion of legal drugs, it should be noted that they have a long history in the more lucrative field of launderign illegal drug money.

That's the thing that is important to understand.  Illegal businesses are far more profitable than legit enterprise.  There is no tax burden.  Political influence is bought off quite cheaply and if anybody cause any real trouble then they are literally killed off.

And lets not forget that marijuana oil is the ntaural cure for cancer.  Teh medical establishment with all those pill-pushing doctorz also has a big giant huge stake in repressing marijauana.

fing a, fucking fucked up world.

Jan 8, 14 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
observant

That's the thing that is important to understand.  Illegal businesses are far more profitable than legit enterprise.  There is no tax burden.

Well, that's true, in a way, and it's the mantra of the GOP, beginning with actor turned President Ronald Ray-gun, who wasn't smart enough to cook that up on his own.  Actors turned politicians and without a holistic level of schooling (like law) are generally mouthpieces.  That approach works when the economy is healthy.  The multiplier effect, or reverberation of monies spent, is higher and more pronounced.  When things are not going well, like today, the GOP mantra does not work.  Good riddance, Mitt and "let them eat cake" Ann.

Jan 8, 14 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

observant.....you don't have to smoke the stuff. They are  infusing food with the stuff so you munch away and "Be Happy."  My understanding there is a whole method of measuring the amount you can obtain be it in the leaf form or in the infused form.  If your a Colorado resident you  can obtain more  than if your from out of state.  Sounds like they are doing a massive amount of regulation of growers and sellers. I don't think you have to worry about Colorado going up in smoke anytime soon.

Jan 8, 14 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Diller Scofidio and Renfro can go to hell. Fucking sellouts. Traitors. I'm so angry I'm shaking.
Jan 8, 14 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
But you know they get to hang out with Spike Jonze and "inspire" the look of an Oscar-worthy film so clearly they're far above us mere mortals who appreciate exceptional architecture. Traitors.
Jan 8, 14 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Diller says she finds it hard to make peace with tearing down a 12 year old building. I find it hard to make peace with kicking dogs. So you know what I don't ever do? Kick dogs.
Jan 8, 14 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, it's just business. Ethics and morality just get in the way.

I'm so UNcool that I wonder how I happened into architecture to begin with.

That's exactly how you got into architecture.

Illegal businesses are far more profitable than legit enterprise.

Which is of course why it is tolerated, or in the case of banksters, endorsed.

Jan 8, 14 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

im a bit more sanguine donna. its a pity they will cut out the folk art museum, but i have not been able to see it as such a great building. Its good, but iconic?

Not that moma is anything like iconic either. quite the opposite. it is super ironic that diller and scofidio seem to be heading down the same bland path that gave us the folk museum (which did have a nice facade, but inside looked rather pedestrian, sorry - very heavy in the photos at least).  haven't been though. maybe its better in person...

anyway, the design  by jean nouvel was much more awesome-er, and it kept the museum too...whatever happened to that version? did the plans change or is it still there somehow?

Jan 8, 14 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@will - this morning was 5°F - rode my bike in, wasn't the only cyclist out on the roads... but realized that this is probably the lower limit in terms of temps I'd be willing to ride to work in. Typically I only avoid biking if there's freezing rain or it's dark and stormy (double meaning), but thankfully it rarely ever gets into the single digits here (thanks ocean!).

on the way home it was around 20°F - and saw several parents carting around kids on cargo bikes.  felt much less hard core.

Jan 8, 14 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Will, the materials inside are lovely and the vertical overlapping and interpenetration of spaces is great. I've never seen a photo of the interior that did it justice.

Funny gifted and talented thread, eh?
Jan 8, 14 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I'm pissed about this Chris Christie thing.

We need someone to knock Hillary out of the ring.

What's in the water in New Jersey?  Too close to Staten Island?  A possible Christie scandal, a previous McGreevey scandal, not to mention the Sopranos and all the Guidos and Guidettes who call it home ...

Jan 8, 14 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

I was just listening to Rachel Maddow talking about that, Donna.  She's been going on about it for awhile now, and it turns out she was totally spot on.  Hah.  Amazing.  Good luck if hte dude gets away with it and becomes president.

Why you want Hilary out? I thought she was pretty good, no?

about the folk art museum, i can imagine.  In the photos it looks like Maki in the 80's and 90's but with more materials.  Very nice, but not anything as impressive as the front facade.  Guess i better go soon if I want to get the real scoop. 

To Diller and Scof's credit they did spend a month trying to make it work out but couldn't get it sorted without destroying its character...or so they say in the Architectural Record article.  That sounds somehow incorrect to me.  Obviously they didn't like the trade-offs it would take.  But I still get the idea that if Bjarke Ingels did it the old building would be intact, and the whole place would function better even, because of the solution needed to keep it whole.  They just need a firm who believes in doing 6-10 impossible things before breakfast...and much as I like DS+R they have become pretty safe lately.  not sure how that happened but did not see it coming.

Jan 8, 14 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

btw snow biking is fun, dangerous, and crazy....and fun. so glad i am not doing it now, but sure enjoyed it when younger.

Jan 8, 14 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Hillary? You've got to be kidding. As if the Clinton legacy wasn't enough? 

And in case you forgot: NAFTA (eviscerated domestic manufacturing), Gramm-Bliley-Leech (deregulated banks), deregulated FCC (allowed massive media consolidation and monopolization), signed resolution calling for "regime change" in Iraq, etc., etc. 

Jan 9, 14 12:59 am  · 
 · 
I didn't post anything about Hilary. I'm consumed with the Folk Art Museum and how lame DSR/their proposal is. I can't think about anything else right now, I'm crushed.
Jan 9, 14 7:29 am  · 
 · 

not sure hilary is the same as bill and even if she was...ah forget it.

what is going to happen to all the art in that museum that is being razed? That stuff gets canned too?

Jan 9, 14 8:32 am  · 
 · 

No, Will, the building has been empty for several years - the Folk Museum sold the building to MOMA to avoid their own bankruptcy, I think - they had to down-size.  SO MOMA purchased it into their own collection so they could destroy it to build expensive condos.

Edited to add: the Folk collection was all moved to a smaller space, I think one that's leased not owned.

Jan 9, 14 8:42 am  · 
 · 

I'm still shaking with fury over this, to the point that I spent the entire dog walk frothing at the mouth yelling at the houses of people who haven't cleared the %^#&@! snow off their sidewalks yet.  It's the law, people, not to mention part of the social contract!!

Jan 9, 14 8:44 am  · 
 · 

The town has a sidewalk plow that they use to utterly destroy the grass in front of my house every time it snows. And it doesn't clear the sidewalk, it just leaves deep frozen ruts that are impossible to walk on, and plows in the driveway you just shoveled out. 

Jan 9, 14 9:42 am  · 
 · 

moma is nothing but a cancer these days.  It's been culturally dead for ages now and is just another instituion of elite propaganda, just look at their  bord or trusttees.  Is it really any wonder that this group would crush a museum of folk art?

Jan 9, 14 9:52 am  · 
 · 

Exactly, Cash.  I finally really understand why people say Manhattan is Disneyland.  I don't see any reason to ever go back, unless it's to go to some other part of the City like Brooklyn or Harlem - even those places are being ruined.

Jan 9, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't have a sidewalk in front of my house.  i walk the dog down the middle of the street (maybe more towards the side of the street)

i'd like to see hillary bow out.  she's divisive and no matter what policy position she takes, she'll be seen as far left.  christie is a moderate.  he's never like the tea party nutters.  not that he's really moderate, but he's more like conservative before they went off the deep end.  if it's a race between hillary and christie, christie will get the moderate and independent votes and win by a good margin.

eliziabeth warren 2016

Jan 9, 14 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Well Moma sucking aside, there's still some decent shopping in manhattar and food, too.  i'm addicted to those off-menu trufle burgers at the Lion.  Lenghty lunches at Bathazar are nice too.

Hillary will nver be us prez becaust oo many people despice her.  People who wouldn't vote will come out ot he woodwork just to vote against her.  She should really just give it up.

Jan 9, 14 10:28 am  · 
 · 

"Join the expat hipsters upstate in Hudson?"

Funny that Brynes says taht because Kunstler is the first person to come to mind when I think of upstate Hudson. 

It's a good question though, where would you go?  Bangkok? Vienna?  Panama City?

Jan 9, 14 11:52 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

David Byrne ruined Manhattan.

Jan 9, 14 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Detroit is the only interesting city in the US right now.  Maybe Nashville, Richmond, Spokane, Grand Rapids, too.

Jan 9, 14 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Man, Donna is so rattled that she completely forgot Louisville. 

Jan 9, 14 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

kansas city!

Jan 9, 14 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Dallas is trying to come back, as is Ft Worth.

Jan 9, 14 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Happy Nixon's Birthday, TC.

Jan 9, 14 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

The Folk Art Museum moved into fairly small storefront space on Columbus Avenue, right across from Lincoln Center. 

Jan 9, 14 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

How could I forget Louisville! Aw, Steven, I'm so embarrassed. Louisville is an awesome city, so cool.

Jan 9, 14 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
You're traumatized. It's understandable.
Jan 9, 14 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

so was the msueum of folk art ever about the art?

i have mixed feelings about this whole thing. the SD+R building is not particularly inspiring. I can imagine the design would be better with the foksy thorn forced to stay. But in general I am OK with architecture being short term. It's wasteful, but it also means we get to build our world and grow. More importantly we get to grow better.  When cities become museums its not a good thing. That's the Disney way and what is implicitly disliked by people who search for realism in their lives (whatever the hell that means). Disney is unchanging, eternal and  all unpleasantness set aside.

Right now it is hard to say which way this is going. Keeping the folk as a provocation to do better would be awesome.  Keeping it as a bit of nougat in a fantasy chocolate is boring. They seem to have decided to go with vanilla chocolate and avoid the challenge altogether, which is disappointing.  But I get their point that they don't want to make it worse by just banging in a bit of history they don't actually care about too. Maybe that speaks to their sincerity in the first place.

What gets me is that the MOMA is so banal.  Perhaps the art is supposed to be the front and center so that is the point, but seems so odd to be the symbol of the edge by dulling all the sharp corners.

Jan 9, 14 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

midtown in general is pretty banal - so it I guess it fits in.

Jan 9, 14 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

I can't wait till they start tearing down Gehrys and Hadids. And Graves and Koolhaas. Boy, this could turn into a long list fast.

Jan 9, 14 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

"folksy thorn" I like that Will.

Isn't Kali the goddess of destruction and rebirth?  Could Kali maybe head over to Seattle and vaporize all those Belltown condos that look identical but for different EIFS colors first? Then take out all the Buca di Beppos? Great.  Then we can start looking at the decent/good/masterful work that might be considered for rebirth.

Seriously, my heart hurts over this.  Maybe I'm too emotional, but I'd rather be emotional than cynical.  I'm fighting the inner cynic lately.

Jan 9, 14 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

I'm a cynical optimist. My cup is half full of shit.

Jan 9, 14 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: