Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

tint, there is a bertrand goldberg exhibition at the art institute museum...

Oct 25, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

that's probably it sarah.

the only solution though is to head into politics.  this kind of problem is why i did phd in planning not architecture, but seems like the scale of the problem just gets bigger the longer i look at things. 

off to the office instead of bangkok today.

Oct 25, 11 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I just got a job shoveling snow early in the am. It pays very, very well. No license or degree required (but what about the health, safety, and wellfare of the people?). Just an idea for others who are underemployed and looking for extra bucks!

Oct 25, 11 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if things are the same as when i lived in chicago,, the museums are free on tuesday. evanston has some nice restaurants that aren't too expensive.that little mexican cafe is quite tasty as is lulu's. as far as hanging out i would suggest andersonville where there is simon's and the hopleaf. not too far of a walk from the berwyn redline stop. problem with the train to evanston is that at certain times you have to wait at the last chicago stop for the evanston purple line train. i also like lincoln square which is where myriam and i had crepes on my birthday a few years back. hi myriam! my friend frank catalano plays at the green mill every wednesday night.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjgztthGX30

Oct 25, 11 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

now i think on it a bit, 2x4's have never been part of my life as an architect either.

@ thereisnothere, shoveling snow is a good job.  very coolio.

Oct 25, 11 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

@phillip- yeah she's done and that regalia (the real ones) are expensive!

Oct 25, 11 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

vado I miss you honey!  Exciting news about the current no longer being former!  I also just heard another friend of mine is now engaged...change is exciting!

Oct 25, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

BTW has anyone else gotten emails from Pratt telling them they are about to graduate?  I didn't, but know two people who did, both of whom never attended Pratt.

Oct 25, 11 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

gotta be saving up to get my regalia too - my department says I gotta attend graduation in proper garb - why do architects and 'scapers (aka 'Fine Arts') have to wear brown??? At least masters regalia is a few $$$ less then the full Piled Higher and Deeper versions. For those not in the know, faculty are supposed to wear the regalia of their alma mater, not of the institution you're now teaching for. Wonder if anybody selects grad school based on their colors?

so where is my email from pratt?

Oct 26, 11 12:31 am  · 
 · 

regalia?

hahahahah.  sorry to laugh but that sounds amazing fun/crazy/mildly horrible.  nothing like that here thanks to goodness.  not even for phd ceremony.  funny enough its such a low-key thing that my family didn't even attend to witness me picking up my bit of parchment from the president. wonder if i was at your school could i go to graduation in blue jeans?  i could get the real expensive $500.00 custom jeans from LEVIS vintage store if that made it better...

Oct 26, 11 1:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i miss you lb! we'll talk soon!

Oct 26, 11 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Brown?  My collar/hood was purple.  Is that just because it was a B.A?

So I've only seen two episodes of The Electric Company, and one of those I've seen three times, and although I could mostly do without the show, I do like the "Unbun" song.

Oct 26, 11 9:03 am  · 
 · 

will, I'm actually surprised that in Japan they don't have full on outfits/regalia for getting your degree.  Isn't Japanese culture all about ritual and garb?

I had no garb for my Master's degree ceremony.  We just wore our regular clothes.  For Bachelro's degree ceremony we wore itchy cheap robes and built models on our mortarboards.

Oct 26, 11 9:22 am  · 
 · 

i think that the colors are decided by the university and intended to denote your major/department... the tassels that we had, i think at both UF and Georgia Tech, were an awful lavender/purple color... there are also different sleeves, hats, and levels of decoration according to the level of degree... here is a link to Penn's system of academic regalia... http://www.upenn.edu/commencement/hist/costume.html weird, the link/image buttons don't show up on my ipad...

Oct 26, 11 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I promised I'd post the finished flask here, so here's just a picture...

I know the photo has an odd, 80s vibe, and I'm not sure why.  You can read about how I actually did it, here.

Oct 26, 11 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, that is freaking awesome.  As good as the son's bed.  You're a great designer!

Oct 26, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

SARAH,

I want a media blaster!  Where you get your flask?

Oct 26, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Regalia colors.  Looks like some colors overlap.

Oct 26, 11 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook, I bought them offline, online?  In any case, I got six of them at once.

Oct 26, 11 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

you should have made a set of 2...one with his name, and one that actually said 'dork'...haha. very nice!

Oct 26, 11 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

@lb, nah japan is nothing like tv makes it out to be. 

kinda wished there were more to the graduation to be honest.  i didn't go to graduation for previous degrees. was quite surprised that family doesn't usually go to that sorta thing here, but it  perhaps explains why there was no regalia.  regalia would be wasted if family members could not take pictures and make fun later on.

feeling sick as dog.  lack of sleep and exposure to diseases the kids bring home from school not a good mix.

Oct 26, 11 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I went to both of my graduations.  I didn't want to go to my second one, but my mom insisted.  I brought some electronic sudoku or scrabble game and played it during the commencement speech so as not to fall asleep from boredom.

Oct 27, 11 8:26 am  · 
 · 

Will, re: our recent discussion of Japan and electricity use I would be interested in getting your take on this NYT article Japan Gets Electricity Wake-Up Call

This section seems key

"This past summer, traditionally a period of peak demand, Tokyo residents pared electricity use 16 percent in the inner-city area known as the 23 wards. But looming winter power shortages look to pose an even bigger challenge.

The Ministry of Trade and Industry predicts that unless power production is restarted at some of the nuclear reactors around the country that are now suspended for inspection, national demand will outstrip supply by 4 percent to 20 percent during December, January and February — the coldest winter months."

Oct 27, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

is electric heat widely used in Tokyo?

Oct 27, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

nam & jump, what do you think about astronomic urbanism? Am I onto something big or just a fad?

Oct 27, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

cool, barry.  we need more of these just to remind everyone that we may need to get ready to move to one of those places in the near future.

@nam, that article is a bit funny cuz its not entirely true.  sure there is lots of electrical use, but not everyone lives the way described in the article. the entire thing about watching baseball from inside an air-conditioned room is sort of surreal to me.  what it has to do with anything i couldn't say.

the fact that we cut back 16% over the summer without immense hardship however does show that there is a lot of room to play with, and i suspect that is true for most developed countries, not just japan.  this winter we will probably do the same thing and be fine. most of the extra lamps have already been taken out from the offices and stores, thermostats were set higher, and so on. 

the all electrical package that was being sold is true.  we looked into using it last year in a house we designed but the subsidy was not enough to make sense.  right now we are looking at a house where the owners are thinking to install a hydrogen co-generation unit that runs on gas power with extra option of a solar panel system on the roof.  but again the subsidies are not so high and we are wondering a bit about how it really works.  currently there is no system in place to store electricity generated on site, only to sell the excess to the grid, which means that in the case of a blackout the client could still be in trouble. 

the system is otherwise kind of cool though.  the idea is that they pump nat gas to the mini power plant on the premises, which then converts the gas to electricity (no power attenuation through power line transmission), while heating the water for kitchen/bath and floor heating system.  but not sure if it operates without the power grid turned on.  ditto for the solar panels.  so we are thinking it through.

on campus we just installed solar panels on the roof of our grad school architecture building (see bottom of this page if interested) and had to wait 2 months for tepco to inspect it so we could actually use the electricity to run our lights and computers.  and again lacking a battery we are screwed if the blackouts start again.  that has been a bit of an education for us all.  the infrastructure has to work for a lot of the energy saving ideas to work....

as for the general tone of the article, i suspect the govt wants to go back to nuclear power and this kind of announcement is their way of intimidating everyone to cave in.  it will be interesting to see how it all falls out (no pun intended).

Oct 27, 11 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

will - these systems don't have deep cycle battery back-ups?

Oct 28, 11 10:59 am  · 
 · 

most pv systems in the post-industrialized world are 'grid-tied' meaning that they use the entire electrical grid as the back-up storage. batteries are expensive and large, while the connection to the grid is cheaper (and smaller).  haven't heard of many hybrid grid-tied with battery systems yet.

Oct 28, 11 11:19 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

interesting - you'd think one of the benefits to having a pv system is that you'd be able to draw from it at night when you are actually home...  unless you make enough selling back to the grid it doesn't really seem worth it... anyway - thanks for the info.

re: physically accurate scale solar system models:  used for decades by middle-school science teachers everywhere.

Oct 28, 11 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

hey barry, when is that big announcement coming out?

Oct 28, 11 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

I've heard of a newer technology close on the horizon that stores solar energy (whether form solar panels or solar collectors) in a closed-loop system.

Apparently given a decent catalyst, syngas (carbon monoxide and hydrogen) can be be created from carbon dioxide and water. Burn syngas for energy, store the combustion byproducts and then reconvert them back to syngas with solar power.

Oct 28, 11 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Phil, the official version got delayed a few days to complete the internal approval process. But I can share that my department is seeking somebody to join our faculty (tenure-track) to teach design foundations aka 'intro to design' for the undergrad/graduate programs - application are due Jan 3rd. A MLA isn't required, but the prospective applicants should be engaging the landscape somehow in their design practice.

Toaster- The cool bit about photovoltaic systems (& why I'm a huge fan of them) is that they produce the most power when the demand is peaked in the afternoon of hot sunny days. So even if you aren't home to use the electrons, PV arrays are one of the best sources for generating peak loads. it's not the average cost of kWHs that you need to look at when pricing solar electric systems, but the peak charges - PV systems are almost always cheaper then peak tariffs you pay to the utility.

Oct 28, 11 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Barry, I'm so jealous.  Teaching freshman level design would be amazing.  If you were here, I'd apply, although, I have no practice, and don't know anything about Landscape, except that people like to perch, so parks should always have some sort of hill or knoll.   Some LA gave a lecture at college my 4th year.  It's one the only lectures I remember, and certainly the only one I learned something from.

Oct 28, 11 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

maybe that's the answer for where donna should move... while i could do foundations, it isn't really my area of expertise or experience...

Oct 28, 11 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

the entire issue of pvc was to us about self-sufficiency, less so about energy consumption. 

after facing blackouts and the fallout (literally) of nuclear radiation many of us think local production or some other system entirely is a better choice than going nuclear.  i used to think  stewart brand had it right but nuclear is not an option to me anymore.  they are finding cesium  in the urine of children for pities sake.

in terms of resiliency the problem with using the grid as backup is highly problematic, for all the reasons above.  but batteries are also a huge issue too.  we need better solutions.  this hydrogen based gas system the gas companies are selling is promising but it costs $30,000 to install and even with the 10k subsidy there is no way it will ever be paid for on purely cost calculation (even when spread over 30 years).  so it is not entirely realistic either.  when it comes to resiliency i would love to see something that allows us to live locally but does not require massive investments in fussy technology. perhaps you have an idea barry?

walking through tokyo in the dark (cuz trains were down and the lights were out) made it clear that we are too dependent on a fragile power infrastructure. since we know a massive earthquake is coming to tokyo in near future this should be on the top of the list for everyone here.  but it isn't.

Oct 28, 11 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

it's more then just the lights to worry about when the power goes down. Almost everything that our modern lifestyle relies on is interdependent, so when power goes out, other systems fail.

to really get your geek out, check out this & this blog posts.

Oct 29, 11 12:17 am  · 
 · 

thanks barry.

having lived through just a touch of this stuff am quite interested in avoiding failure of any kind from now on.  totally not looking forward to the big one.  guess it must be the same for all you folks in californee.  you're less prepared than we are !

Oct 29, 11 1:45 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

barry - I guess this is why we need more distributed systems in case something happens... I think in the past people were running to the hills and trying to start self-sufficient homesteads to avoid relying on centralized systems/networks, but these days I think people are more interested in figuring out how take make this work by sourcing the city.  fascinating stuff.

Oct 29, 11 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

We be looking at power going out most likely over the weekend with the first storm of winter, as the trees are still loaded with leaves, and well  there are trees everywhere there are powerlines so most likely were going to have branches fall on powerlines and  zipppy-zap no power.  I did break down and buy a generator today, thinking that if we are to ever going to loose power it is going to be with this storm.  Not that I need a generator to fire up every appliance in the house but I would like to keep the furnace going if power goes out.  With all of the snow falling there is not much hope for generating solar power today via collectors, and well the winds are going to be kicking up so I guess the wind powered generator on the edge of town is also not going to be producing wind energy. I believe it shuts down when the winds blow to hard.

Oct 29, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
michaelgron

please check out my website www.michaelgron.com I would like imput (via e-mail) on how I can improve it before I start sending it out to perspective employers. If you like it please  click the "like" button, so I get an idea of how it is accepted.

thanks all

michael

www.michaelgron.com

Oct 30, 11 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

michael, since you posted it here on TC I'll take this opportunity to say: I never look at portfolio's people post here on Archinect.  I think it's a great opportunity people have to get critique on this site but I feel completely unqualified, and also pretty uninterested, in reviewing people's work.

So please don't take it personally if you don't see a response from me.  Good luck with it.

Oct 31, 11 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So I went out Saturday night with two girlfriends.  These two older guys (could've been our dads, kind of old) started talking to us.  One gave us his name, Jim Taylor, and the other was smooth bald, so I called him Mussolini.  They wouldn't leave us alone, although we were doing our best to be nice, but get rid of them.  At the end of the night, when we got our billed, JT and his gang put their drinks on our tab.  Total bitch move.

We did meet some other old guy who was cool, though.  I think he was from Minnesota, or Wisconsin.  I told him I was a Vikings fan, so it had to me near there.  By the end of the night, I had upgraded him to Canadian.  Manitoba is close to those other states, right?

Oct 31, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

+1 for Sarah's Halloween costume design. Should have sent the transformer cop on those old-man-bitches that held you hostage and took your money.

Oct 31, 11 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Rusty, you made my day!

Oct 31, 11 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, go post a picture on the Halloween costume thread I just started!

Oct 31, 11 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

We have so far survived the October Blast of 2011. Local Snow depth was around 18." Lots of tree damage (because leaves are still on trees).  Lots of people without power....set an all time record.  I was amazed people were out driving about yesterday, with noplace really to go cause everything was shut down.  Today the gas stations reopened  where power has been restored and man oh man the lines were long this morning.  I did not need gas, but had to drive by four gas stations, and the lines to the pump where right out of the 1970's New England Oil Shortage.

We have our power back but it sounds like there is still over a half a million people with out power in Connecticut. The power company is not real sure when they will have power back to everyone. 

Oct 31, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Posted, Donna, and no, I didn't recognize that monkey.

Oct 31, 11 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

hope you didn't pay for the old guys drinks sarah.  aren't old guys (i am guessing you are talking about guys my age) supposed to have money and a life?

Oct 31, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nah, I don't think you're as old as them.  If I were to give them an age, I'm thinking mid-fifties.  One guy was an accountant/auditor for Nissan, and the other was...oh I don't remember, but he drove an Infiniti.  I guess they have money because they get their drinks for free.  One of my girlfriends paid for the whole tab, 80 dollars worth.  We tried to fight the bar tender, but at 2 am, there really isn't much fight left.  I kinda wish Manitoba would have said some strong words to those guys, but I guess it wasn't his fight.  Funny thing, he was just as old as Mussolini and JT, but much, much cooler.  I think I got him to sing "O, Canada."

Mostly the whole event has me thinking... I was hoping to get free drinks, with nothing expected but my company in return, (I've never gotten that) and that's just what they did, but I'm a GIRL!  And while I know that's sexist, it's still how I feel.  Like I said, total bitch move.

Oct 31, 11 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That totally sucks Sarah. If I ever see them, I will beat them up for you.

Oct 31, 11 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: