Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

i think its straw and mud.

Apr 16, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

manure is common in traditional adobe construction but has typically been replaced by asphalt emulsion as a stabilizing agent

Apr 16, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Liberty guess I will have an opportunity to check out the MPLS Airport dog park. Seems like we like you have a connecting flight which leaves us on the ground for about four hours.

Planning ahead called up an old friend who is going to meet up with at the airport so we can shoot the breeze..

Apr 16, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

archinect is being funny - it won't let me post any comments

Apr 16, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

abra, your number of posts is equal to the year of my birth 1977

that's another arbitrary notification by your late night idler

Apr 16, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

What the fu....has taken over..... time for me to sleep! "he is crap"

Apr 16, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

I thought they were a "she" not that it matters

Apr 16, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

snooker and architechno have the same.....exact.....number.....of comments.

which one will blink first?

Apr 16, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i went to the future and in the 6443. the world ends. oh my god that's how many posts i will have starting now!

Apr 16, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I passed the year of my birth 18 posts ago. Now this is the year I graduated from High School...

vado- at least you have about 1% the number of entries as posts... there are only so many threads about music that can be sustained around here!

Apr 16, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

opps, now this is my graduation year....

Apr 16, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

lol

Apr 17, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

1 percent is about what it should be.

Apr 17, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

um... excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me how to pronounce Benedetta Tagliabue's last name?

Apr 17, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
AP

not like the football comish...

the "gli" in italian is sort of like the "ll" in spanish.

so, ta-ya-boo-ay but with subtle things in there that are difficult to communicate non-verbally.

Apr 17, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Thanks. That's kind of what I guessed.

Apr 17, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

RAT!!!!!
somebody dumped their pet rat in my neighbors yard - it's a new york subway sized big one! it's cage was found just before it was smelled by her dog last night, I saw it this evening running around my compost heap... poor critter - it's gonna be dead soon enough. Stourly, you wanna have some fun?

Apr 17, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

I was walking around my parents backyard the other night, and heard a rattle. It was rat playing around in the TGB (trap gulley basin)....I high tailed it out of there!! Yes a-tech don't do rats! yah heard!!

Apr 17, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hi!

Apr 17, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they use trained rats to find landmines in mozambique.

Apr 17, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

myriam! almost missed you there. Hi!

Apr 17, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Hi Myriam!Dont be afraid ofRaTtZ!

Apr 17, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

wow, I've been away awhile. I have too much to say, so I can't say anything.

I'll just say this: you know how when you move to a new city, the first 3 months are always super exciting and then suddenly, overnight, life starts to SUCK? and then it sucks for like a month or two and finally, around month 6, everything starts to even out into a regular, normal life?

Yeah. I just remembered that, too. I moved here mid-January. It is now mid-April.

Apr 17, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

But it's SPRING! It can't suck too bad. Unless you like the cold a lot.

I hope the next 1-2 months go quickly for you. I hope they go quickly for me too.

Apr 17, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

CRANKING INTO THE LAST DAY OF WORK BEFORE A VACTION...FOR THOSE WHO WORK IN A FIRM...A LONG WEEKEND.. HEARING THOSE
WEDDING BELLS FOR A NIECE...MUST BE THERE OR RATH OF OLDER SISTER WILL SET IN.....BUT I WILL SEE THE MINNEAPOLIS AIRPORT
DOG PARK FOR WAY TO LONG....BETWEEN FLIGHTS....

Apr 17, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha, wonderk, you say "spring" as though it's actually warm outside. and/or sunny.

it doesn't suck SO bad... i'm still happy to be here, in general... but i've hit that rough-and-frustrating spot, where i don't know what's going on, but now i'm feeling frustrated by it instead of excited.

Apr 17, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Once I was a sentimental thing,
Threw my heart away each Spring;
Now a Spring romance hasn`t got a chance
Promised my first dance to Winter;
All I`ve got to show`s a splinter for my little fling!

Spring this year has got me feeling like a horse that never left the post;
I lie in my room staring up at the ceiling,
Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most!

Morning`s kiss wakes tres and flowers,
And to them I`d like to drink a toast;
I walk in the park just to kill lonely hours,
Spring Can really Hang You Up The Most.

All afternoon those birds twitter twit,
I know the tune, "This is love, this is it!"
Heard it before and I know the score,
And I`ve decided that Spring is a bore!

Love seemed sure around the New Year,
Now it`s April, love is just a ghost;
Spring arrived on time, only what became of you, dear?

Spring is here, there`s no mistaking
Robins building nests from coast to coast;
My heart tries to sing so they won`t hear it breaking,

College boys are writing sonnets,
In the "Tender passion" they`re engrossed;
But I`m on the shelf with last years Easter bonnets,

Love came my way, I hope it would last;
We had our day, now that`s all in the past!
Spring came along a season of son,
Full of sweet promise but womething went wrong!

Doctors once prescribed a tonic,
"Sulphur and moloasses" was the dose;
Didn`t help a bit, my condition must be chronic,

All alone, the party`s over,
Old man Winter was a gracious host;
But when you keep praying for snow to hide the clover

Apr 17, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Thoughts about Blackburg....sad...but I don't want to get into it in a heavy way.....had a friend loose a daughter years ago when she was a freshman there. Went on a tubing trip, disapeared...her remains not to be found until a year later....sad time for family and friends...
I believe it is still an open case....so when I heard of the most recent... damn my heart went singing to all the families an friends in a very big way. Posting it here into of there, because I don't want to get into sorrow or bitter... take care folks~ and have good thoughts for all those who have lost someone...and those who will struggle for years to come. Remember Forgiveness for those who have done wrong, is the way to move forward.

Apr 17, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
upside

i'm off to the Royal Australian Institute of Architects national conference this weekend in melbourne and i have a dastardly plan to get myself, architecture sucks t-shirt included, into as many photos as possible. this is somewhat linked to my other plan to get as many free drinks as possible.

Apr 17, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

HAHAHAHAHAHA upside that would bring so many smiles to so many faces if you can pull it off.....

Safe travels, snooker. The dog park seems cool.

I have a funny rat story but I don't have energy to tell it right now. Actually I'm pleased that in ten years of life in Philly I only ever saw about 5 rats. Scores and scores of mice in my kitchen, but few rats.

One hawk, hanging out on a branch just 3' outside my kitchen window. That was cool.

Apr 18, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 

upside - oh the memories of the RAIA gathering hmmm :: I understand why so many in the hunter valley vineyards keep architects on retainers. Its because they drink like fishes when two or more gather...i miss booze

Apr 18, 07 1:18 am  · 
 · 

Liberty in my little island nestle i've had the following

a crab that climbed up the railing and thought my ear was dinner
a rat that got stupid in my bedroom
a couple frog
two iguanas mating in the sun drenched living room
and I watched a pup once that ran away in the middle of the night

Apr 18, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 
upside

architechnophilia, when were you down this way?

and yeah, i snuck into the last state awards night a while ago, after all the formalities, and man, the older you get and the more you get built the more red you drink. there was even a 3am fisticufs between 2 noted local architects.

Apr 18, 07 2:37 am  · 
 · 
flying circus

says it best

Apr 18, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I worked on a template for a custom rug today with a fairly cute gentleman. I was holding the tape measure end while he read dimensions out loud and I wrote them down. At one point he said "I like 69 here" and I got the giggles....

Apr 18, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

heh heh liberty... I just had a mental picture with that

so first a custom wall, now a custom rub... you are on a roll

Apr 18, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

upside, i was there in 2001. It was held in that beautiful addition to Univ. of NSW inside here. One architect upset that he didn't win anything despite being nominated for a few, got pissed and rolled down the hill

Apr 18, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

anyone seen this

Apr 18, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Pssst.

Where did that discussion in the purple text at the top of the Forum page come from? It looks interesting. But intimidating.

Apr 19, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Verrrry intimidating....and I'm way to tired to read it right now.

Apr 19, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I was about to ask the same thing.

Now it feels like we're the apes poking at the monolith in 2001.

Apr 19, 07 12:38 am  · 
 · 

its been a while since seeing that film.

What are you west coasters still doing up?

Apr 19, 07 12:52 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i read the first paragraph of each entry. i understood john and javier's entries more than the others. (ok, not really, but these guys "conversations" are a little heady, no?)

volume still seems to be about communicating architecture's relevance and imptce to the rest of the world, embedding it in general culture, just like when its beginning was announced a few years ago. they still talk about interdisciplinary stuff, mixing in influences from other areas, and positioning architecture as part of life, blah blah. but i still get the sense that the editors' (and, by extension, the writers?) dips into general culture - of whatever community - is more touristy than an act of solidarity.

do you think any but hardcore architecture-heads buy volume? i mean, if bankers, teachers, and electricians were reading it, i'd understand what these guys are doing. but, at this point, are these guys talking to themselves (and a small audience of fans) any less than the editors of oppositions and a.n.y. before them?

i'll admit that i've always been a voracious bookbuyer but i haven't been spurred to go find a copy of volume.

Apr 19, 07 7:23 am  · 
 · 

need coffee first.

Apr 19, 07 7:33 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey i had a canopy just like that on a school project in 1989!!!

Apr 19, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Coffee machine ripped me off again this morning. 75 cents for about 3 oz.

Apr 19, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

we have starbucks coffee at our office for free.

Apr 19, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

last night while eating dinner with my flatmates in the kitchen, Jinxy, our local mouse, ran across the counter. I tried to hit him with a frying pan, but he rant back into the wall before I could get to him.

Apr 19, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

I don't think you and mdler are are going to be able to play in the purple thread...

Apr 19, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles,

do you have a headache??? Rough night last night???

Apr 19, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: