Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

treekiller,

yeah i am into green eco-planning stuff, but trying to do so without the polemics.

my phd is tied to a city that is trying to revitalise their city centre by competing with suburbia, based on compact city models imported from europe...but it turns out the japanese suburb is pretty close to the new urbanist model rather than the less compact version we all love to hate in north america.

zoning is wide open here, set in the building code of all places, and national, so no local control leading to segregation, nor any denial of mixed use going on at all...rather amazing really...so i am trying to show the city that they are competing with something different than they believe...in this case the polemics are blinding them, and it isn't very helpful at all. or at least that is my theory. i am not sure if they are upset that i am pointing this out to them or not.

thanks for that article, LB. it is a nice summary, and really clearly puts the energy problem in persepctive. i am still hoping for more sustainable energy models to be revealed as viable, but when james lovelock and stewart bramd of all people are saying the only solution is to go nuclear it makes one think about what is actually possible. the next 10 years or so are gonna be quite interesting i think.

in other news today, we just had a prelim estimate for a little house in tokyo come in; we are now trying to figure out how to trim 30k from the cost. i kinda like this part of design, cuz we is gonna have to be seriously creative... but to be honest we were expecting to be about 100k over budget, so is slightly good news...;-)

Mar 22, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 

there needs to be another [insert worthy] architectural movie...we've been bombarded by crap lately. Where is the belly of an architect, brazil, etc of today's generation when we supposed have the technology to make films with the cinematography more akin to the architecture we love

of course i'm not speaking of the documentaries...those are good

Mar 22, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
dia

I cant resist - may I re-present Jack:

Mar 22, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 

check the eyes and poised smirk - he knows he's a stud!

Mar 22, 07 1:28 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

my first post on this thread

this is probably the only board i'm not anonymous on.
That may change

The current trend in green design reminds me of my art school readings about Ruskin and William Morris and how they thought what they were doing could alter the course of the inevitable.

Artist, craftsman and designers are again taking it upon themselves to try and save the world which is very sporting of them. Go Green!

Lets please stop burdening the poor with crappy murals, its really just dumb and presumptuous to think they want them. But if you read that thread you know how I feel about the subject already, and those who continue to perpetrate them.

The example of homeboy industries is a great moral dilema if i ever saw one. Right on so many levels, but also wrong. It made me wonder about the gains and sacrifices people there are horse trading in that program.

What a mean spirited and pathetic thread that was.

(ok, i need to figure out linking here)

on a personal note my partner recieved a round of applause today from a group of clients.
holy cow.

Mar 22, 07 1:31 am  · 
 · 

diabase - he's got a little elvis thing goin on, don't you think?

brer m - thanks for sharing that your client got a round of applause. it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside that an architect could be appreciated enough by clients to get applause. of course you didn't say your partner is an architect, i assumed it. if not, please don't correct me. i don't want to know.

Mar 22, 07 7:30 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I'm so tired. Looking for a flat in London takes a lot of energy...so tired...

Mar 22, 07 7:56 am  · 
 · 

I've always been conflicted with regard to murals... I don't personally like them, but people (in those communities) seem to clamor for them.

I'm getting on the 10 and going east in a few minutes here, just wanted to pop in and say 'hi' to those I wasn't going to speak to for a few days. I'll be back Saturday if I have my way, or Sunday if I don't.

Mar 22, 07 8:16 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Welcome brer. My old boss received a round of applause once, about 8 years ago. What a yummy feeling.

diabase, that amazing child made me giggle even at 2AM when I first saw him but was too tired to post! Oh my god, he's amazingly adorable. I still can't get over how different he and Charlie are! (Though I'm sure you guys see similarity in facial expression and whatnot. We humans are so much more interesting-looking in motion than a camera can catch.) That pic makes me want to just nuzzle that little face against my own. What a doll.

Forecast calls for hailstorms in the midwest today wahoo!!

Drive safe rationalist.

Mar 22, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Brer - welcome to the clubhouse, we're all freinds here. Ok, so murals were a crappy idea - nuff said.

the linking codes are hidden at the bottom of the page in light gray text. Also you can search for some advanced codes somewhere around here on archinect for fancy text if you dare.

I'd like to think of sustainability as a utopian ideal more akin to superstudio or archigram... maybe we can change/save the world, but we really need to be subversive and work within the system to hijack it to our own agenda. welcome to the revolution!

beta- sunday, yes! so what do you want to do?

LB- the notify of replies drove me crazy the few times I tried it out. Your a brave women to get notified of every TC post!

ok, now I have to get back to my task at hand for an addendum- window frame schedules, plan details, and if I'm lucky - some terrace details... nothing green about this part of practice. Wish I could figure out a way to print less- but I'm always missing crap on the screen. Oh, these are CAD being imported into revit. we managed to produce half the CD set in revit!

Mar 22, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have been applauded. of course, i was in a rock band. and booed also. i was applauded after i gave a lecture to all the arch 101 students. i was applauded for giving a presentation to a church(funny cuz im an athiest) i was applauded at a corporate non arch job i had for presenting a humourous skit for 600 employees. plus all the executives. i guess iwannaBEadored

Mar 22, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Has anyone seen this? Architect's responisbility when social experiments go wrong.

[http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/thearchitect/trailer/]The Architect [/url]

Mar 22, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

so i watched the marie antoinette movie recently and in addition to becoming hooked on the movie's soundtrack, i've recently found myself craving cake on an almost daily basis. i feel so dumb about this.

Mar 22, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper
The Architect
Mar 22, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Finally got the link thing, so exciting.

Mar 22, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

so i watched part of marie antoinette until i decided it sucked royally. also can't say i really dug the harpischord rendition of "i want candy" the best film ive seen recently is "loves of a blonde" which i already mentioned.

Mar 22, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

yeah!!!!!!!!

Mar 22, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I saw that preview on a show called "Just Trailers", is it even out yet?

Mar 22, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh come on vado, that movie was worth watching just for the shoes and hairstyles.

Mar 22, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

also, i feel that the soundtrack works great independently of the movie. it's an odd mix of baroque & new wave that some how paces nicely and is excellently for eating cake.

Mar 22, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Has anyone else noticed the baroque/roccoco resurgence recently? It seems to be making a comeback, but with a comtemporary twist.

Mar 22, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The name Stourley Kracklite has been rolling around in my brain since he showed up (thanks, beta, next are you going to subject me to that Belinda Carlisle song that I can't expel once it settles in to the grey matter, too?;-). And last night it suddenly hit me why: I was confusing it with the name Outerbridge Horsey, who is an architect I spoke to on the phone once in my old job. I totally mangled his name because I thought it was the firm name not his name. And you could tell he gets that all the time.

Thanks to Wikipedia I now know that Outerbridge Horsey is a historical figure, too. The two must be related.

My brain is full of nonsense. Twas brillig and the slithy toves...

Mar 22, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

technically the baroque period had transitioned into the rococonut period by the time in history.

Mar 22, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hello friends.

I got into the Bartlett, UCL, London. Just thought I would give you the update since most of you are smart enough to stay away from the grad school thread.

I thought this was an appropriate diversion for an "end of page" post.

As you were.....

Mar 22, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Whoohoo, congrats dubk! Is that your first choice?

Mar 22, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, in answer to your question, it's one of 4 first choices....

ha ha, I will paraphrase White House spokesperson and royal douchebag Tony Snow when I say "who really knows where any of us will be in a year"......

I would really like to see Marie Antoinette. Sofia Coppolla seems to have a gift for putting together soundtracks.

Mar 22, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah...i think i love sofia coppola. she's so good with mood & atmosphere

Mar 22, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

congrats dubK.

i love the only s.coppola movie that i've seen, and will see m.a. for that reason alone.

my interest in the grad school thread is to establish a time table for schools that i will apply to next year, in order that i can avoid next year's version of that thread like the plague. guess that means i'm not in the smart enough to stay away from the grad school thread club. oh well...

Mar 22, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, DubK, that's WonderFull news!!! Congratulations!

Mar 22, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

dub K rocks.

Mar 22, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

way to go you can get a place with superdud and it will be just like old times.

Mar 22, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
vado shrugged

Laconic brilliance.

Mar 22, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Yeah!!!!

Mar 22, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

kristin-

check out pugh + scarpa... they've done a few decent PV panel projects such as...

colorado court

solar umbrella house (the plane that folds from the roof to the left)

Mar 22, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

That house is amazing. Love to see it in person. Maybe I could sell them Girlscout cookies.

Mar 22, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The only problem with the Grainger catalog is it's as addictive as Archinect...I can disappear into it for hours and suddenly the day is gone and the sliding door still is not documented.

Another late night.

Mar 22, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Am I the only one naive enough to wonder if Post 300 really was from Rem Koolhas? Can't decide if that would be cool or not. Guess I would be kinda starstruck even though I don't particularly like his work.

Mar 22, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hey, a website would be good. Wonder if the Girlscouts would get upset if I bought from them only to redistribute online at higher prices. Hmmmm.

*She taps the tips of her fingers together while secretly conspiring....

Mar 22, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Lirach

WOW what a large thread, hi guys, you seem to be having fun here on archinect.
i always read articles on archinect but first time i actually get an account and post.
i'm just wondering do you know each other... in person? from the same state or city?? because this looks like a very close community.

i've been reading some of the posts but i guess i'll never finish hehe
by the way, i'm from mexico, i was just looking for some inspiring, architecture related pages for this boring slow day, and i found this!
it is so much better than i was expecting, now i've been doing nothing but archinect and feel the need to do some work, keep the good conversation!

Mar 22, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

welcome

Mar 22, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm from Texas!

Mar 22, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Lirach

hey and i agree, the house with solar panels looks amazing, people here always get the idea these panels will look awful, i guess it's just a matter of time... and good design.

Mar 22, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

congrats dubK! I didn't have any doubt though.

Mar 22, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

does anyone know why we use the word 'signage' instead of sign or signs?

Mar 22, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Sounds fancier?

Mar 22, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh wait, Webster says it reffers to a 'system' of signs.

Mar 22, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Signage: Ever wonder why they put braille lettering on drive up ATM's?

Mar 22, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

"...ATM manufacturers say a fair number of blind people do take cabs to drive-up ATMs, and nobody wants to ask a total stranger to help with a financial transaction."

From Straight Dope.

Mar 22, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Welcome Lirach. Many of us here know each other outside of the forums. But! of the dozen Archinecters I know in person, I didn't know any of them before coming here. I've met people in person because I first "met" them online. Some of us are close enough geographically that we have hooked up (I mean met) at events like the AIA convention, etc.

In LA, they just meet one another at bars - they have more fun in LA!

Mar 22, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i've actually never met another archinecter in person that i didn't already know in person. having said that, i have managed to make a number of real life friends via the internet, especially in the past five years or so. but this probably has something to do with the fact that at my age i don't really have many true friends anymore...most of my "friend" relationship usually have another, often business related dimension or agenda involved.

i usually just go to the bar alone

Mar 22, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: